-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What laptop are you getting??
Started by DadAndPreDOinMO
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Slight tangent-
Can anyone recommend a good monitor and keyboard/mouse set? DCOM's providing the computer but I was hoping to add those on to make it more functional when studying at home.
What kind of computer is DCOM providing?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically you have 2 slots for ram. EX. if you have 2gb ram, you can chose 2 dimm and have one 1gb on each slot. if you want one then you can chose to have 2gb in one slot and another slot empty. You can add ram in the one slot in future, and have more ram. So one 1 dimm is better if you want to hook you computer up in the future. if you not going to do it then it is pointless.
thanks for the clarification.👍
Can you upgrade to sp1 for free if you have home premium vista? Also, what about Vista Ultimate, is the $99 upgrade worth it?
I don't think it is worth it unless you know what features it has. Most consumers or light users don't and probably will never use those features, so stick to regular Vista. And that SP1 is available for free.
DCOM is providing a tablet I believe, so the monitor you pick is really up to you. In fact, we're pretty much in a whole different ball game here in terms of companies and models, so I'm at a loss. The same goes for keyboards and mice. You should probably take a trip to Best Buy and Frys and check out the wares and model types, but make your final purchase online to save the money.
What kind of computer is DCOM providing?
I don't think a decision has been made yet, but the gateways are ruled out
Can you upgrade to sp1 for free if you have home premium vista? Also, what about Vista Ultimate, is the $99 upgrade worth it?
I would not pay the extra for ultimate....it's not worth it..
sp upgrades are always free
For those trying to get the x61. I just found this on Slickdeals front page.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=1403431
X61 tablet for 999.
I just followed your link and its listing for nearly $2200! Did I miss the deal, or is there a link or a code I'm supposed to use?
I just followed your link and its listing for nearly $2200! Did I miss the deal, or is there a link or a code I'm supposed to use?
WOWWWW....IT'S BACK TO $2000..
looks like it was just a pricing error
whoever jumped on that got a deal of a lifetime if they actually ship it to you 😉
Wow, sorry about that if it was a pricing mistake guys. I found it on slickdeals on the front page and in the forums so it seemed quite legit when I posted it here. Also, 999 is not that outrageous of a "deal" on that tablet. If it were 500, then I would say it is too good to be true.
IMO try to have them ship it if they made a mistake. They entered into contract. I guess worst case scenario if you ordered it is that you just get your money back and maybe a coupon for your troubles to the website.
IMO try to have them ship it if they made a mistake. They entered into contract. I guess worst case scenario if you ordered it is that you just get your money back and maybe a coupon for your troubles to the website.
Wow, that's pretty funny. I seriously doubt whoever bought it at $999 will get it. They'll probably get refunded the money and an apology email.
Yea, i was very surprised on the price
usually, cdw has 150% of the price that lenovo direct offers...the only plus to buyin from cdw is that the computer is already built and is just waiting to be shipped
on the other hand, with lenovo, it takes up to 2 weeks to get ure computer (max)
Well, I received the x61 in record time - 1 week! However, I paid for 4GB RAM and it looks like I'm only sitting on 3. 😡
Syncope82, Lenovo better stand by their name and send me a 2GB DIMM to add ASAP! I guess I better give my sales rep a call Monday. Now I'm going to have to run some diags to ensure that the HDD is 7200 RPM.
Otherwise, it is a super solid machine; never seen anything quite like it. 👍
Syncope82, Lenovo better stand by their name and send me a 2GB DIMM to add ASAP! I guess I better give my sales rep a call Monday. Now I'm going to have to run some diags to ensure that the HDD is 7200 RPM.
Otherwise, it is a super solid machine; never seen anything quite like it. 👍
Well, I received the x61 in record time - 1 week! However, I paid for 4GB RAM and it looks like I'm only sitting on 3. 😡
Syncope82, Lenovo better stand by their name and send me a 2GB DIMM to add ASAP! I guess I better give my sales rep a call Monday. Now I'm going to have to run some diags to ensure that the HDD is 7200 RPM.
Otherwise, it is a super solid machine; never seen anything quite like it. 👍
is this windows xp or vista? XP can only recognize 3 gb of RAM.
Well, I received the x61 in record time - 1 week! However, I paid for 4GB RAM and it looks like I'm only sitting on 3. 😡
Syncope82, Lenovo better stand by their name and send me a 2GB DIMM to add ASAP! I guess I better give my sales rep a call Monday. Now I'm going to have to run some diags to ensure that the HDD is 7200 RPM.
Otherwise, it is a super solid machine; never seen anything quite like it. 👍
PM me and I can give you a number for a woman at lenovo that takes care of issues like this....mine was missing the ac adapter and she sent it out asap
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gang, I am absolutely torn between the Lenovo X61T and Dell Latitude XT tablet. Anyone have any input?
you already know my answer 😉
I'm not a fan of Dell's....cheap IMO
I'd have to agree with syncope.
you already know my answer 😉
I'm not a fan of Dell's....cheap IMO
I was going lenovo all the way until I read a blog complaining about lenovo. I hear the quality has dropped off since they took over from IBM.
I was going lenovo all the way until I read a blog complaining about lenovo. I hear the quality has dropped off since they took over from IBM.
keep in mind that people complain about anything and everything.
also keep in mind most people tend to post more about complaints than about praise...so when you browse through notebook forum review...you are dealing with folks who are having problems...no one is going to go on and talk about how great the product is (some will, but not most)...they mostly go on forums when they have a problem....
I must admit that the quality is lower with Lenovo than IBM (my previous t40 made by IBM was a tank!!)...however, i think the drop is minimal
if you are looking for it.....you can find a blog complaning about anything....I am sure I can go on the internet and find a blog of someone complaning about his brand new ferrari! http://blogs.automobilemag.com/1002...ey-you-yeah-you-your-ferrari-sucks/index.html
check a third party review site like computers.com for objective advice.
hey synocope,
Does the BSOD (blue screen of death) still occur with the current thinkpads and the thinkvantage softwares?
Does the BSOD (blue screen of death) still occur with the current thinkpads and the thinkvantage softwares?
I'm running Vista on the x61.
For the record, I've owned numerous laptops and desktops and I must say that I'm very impressed with the Lenovo x61 tablet. Keep in mind, I've only had it for a few days. I can say it's solid, has some awesome features, and they were fast with shipping based on a build. Also, it doesn't seem like it has a 12.1" screen based on the clarity - it's the best tablet I've come across but I'll need to see how it holds up. 👍👍👍
For the record, I've owned numerous laptops and desktops and I must say that I'm very impressed with the Lenovo x61 tablet. Keep in mind, I've only had it for a few days. I can say it's solid, has some awesome features, and they were fast with shipping based on a build. Also, it doesn't seem like it has a 12.1" screen based on the clarity - it's the best tablet I've come across but I'll need to see how it holds up. 👍👍👍
I've had my X41 for almost two years. Never saw a BSOD yet.
hey synocope,
Does the BSOD (blue screen of death) still occur with the current thinkpads and the thinkvantage softwares?
never had a bsod problem with my t40, however, i had a few bsod's on my t61 becaues i got it with the intel turbo memory and forgot to disable the hybrid disc power saving option in power management....
once I did that...no more BSOD's!
is this windows xp or vista? XP can only recognize 3 gb of RAM.
Looks like Vista is reporting the same... I downloaded PC Wizard 08 and took a look at the physical memory and it looks like I actually have 4096 MB or 4GB! Thanks for the heads up. 👍
Also, thanks for the help Syncope82! 👍👍👍
😀
at
Let's clarify which OS can recognize the full 4gb memory...
so windows xp and vista x86 (or 32bit) can recognize only up to 3gb of RAM
vista x64 (64bit) can recognize up to 4gb of ram
so it looks like you have the 4gb of ram white rabbit, but your vista 32 bit can only recognize up to 3gb
you would need to upgrade to the x64, 64 bit version.
This is why I bought my notebook with 1gb of ram (1 dimm) and then just bought an extra 2gb stick and stuck it in for the full 3gb....I would install the 64 bit, but then my pdanet will stop working (pdanet is 32 bit and allows me to tether my treo to my notebook via bluetooth and utilize the internet of my sprint data plan)
Looks like Vista is reporting the same... I downloaded PC Wizard 08 and took a look at the physical memory and it looks like I actually have 4096 MB or 4GB! Thanks for the heads up. 👍
Also, thanks for the help Syncope82! 👍👍👍
😀
Let's clarify which OS can recognize the full 4gb memory...
so windows xp and vista x86 (or 32bit) can recognize only up to 3gb of RAM
vista x64 (64bit) can recognize up to 4gb of ram
so it looks like you have the 4gb of ram white rabbit, but your vista 32 bit can only recognize up to 3gb
you would need to upgrade to the x64, 64 bit version.
This is why I bought my notebook with 1gb of ram (1 dimm) and then just bought an extra 2gb stick and stuck it in for the full 3gb....I would install the 64 bit, but then my pdanet will stop working (pdanet is 32 bit and allows me to tether my treo to my notebook via bluetooth and utilize the internet of my sprint data plan)
at
Let's clarify which OS can recognize the full 4gb memory...
so windows xp and vista x86 (or 32bit) can recognize only up to 3gb of RAM
vista x64 (64bit) can recognize up to 4gb of ram
so it looks like you have the 4gb of ram white rabbit, but your vista 32 bit can only recognize up to 3gb
Apparently that's the case! 👍
Apparently that's the case! 👍
nice...no I don't have to go hunting through my detailed phone bill from august 😉
never had a bsod problem with my t40, however, i had a few bsod's on my t61 becaues i got it with the intel turbo memory and forgot to disable the hybrid disc power saving option in power management....
once I did that...no more BSOD's!
About that intel turbo memory...I've been curious about how much it actually helps performance for like the frequently used applications that it says it does. Also, do it help on initial startup?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looks like Vista is reporting the same... I downloaded PC Wizard 08 and took a look at the physical memory and it looks like I actually have 4096 MB or 4GB! Thanks for the heads up. 👍
Also, thanks for the help Syncope82! 👍👍👍
😀
I also use pc wizard to monitor my CPU temp...works well!
nice...no I don't have to go hunting through my detailed phone bill from august 😉
👍About that intel turbo memory...I've been curious about how much it actually helps performance for like the frequently used applications that it says it does. Also, do it help on initial startup?
I've noticed that my system is snappier upon starting up programs after a restart...such as outlook, firefox, etc...so fast that there is no introduction screen
however, intel turbo mem works better for those with less ram...but ram is so cheap nowadays, that there is no justification for not having enough ram
I only got it because I had to spend like $16 extra to upgrade it...if it was the standard $50 everyone else pays, I would not have gotten it
to tell you the truth, if you don't know what you're doing with messing with power management, I would skip the turbo memory...
it will cause more headaches than a benefit
About that intel turbo memory...I've been curious about how much it actually helps performance for like the frequently used applications that it says it does. Also, do it help on initial startup?
Syncope provides insight on this earlier in the thread, too. 👍
They actually pulled the turbo memory for the 4GB models... I could not order it with the x61 tablet based on my build.
Syncope provides insight on this earlier in the thread, too. 👍
They actually pulled the turbo memory for the 4GB models... I could not order it with the x61 tablet based on my build.
Sony and HP refuse to even build a notebook with intel turbo memory
personally, I think vaios are wayy overpriced for the quality and performance they offer.....their portables would snap in half if you dropped them
Lenovo T61
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T9300 (2.5GHz 800MHz 6MBL2)1
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium12
15.4 WXGA TFT
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB)
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)8
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
120GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm4
DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim5
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG10
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
6 cell Li-Ion Battery60
6459: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty7
+ Mogo Mouse
Paid $1140 (orig. priced: $1800)
Thanks! Also, have you gotten your Mogo BT mouse to stay connected? I can get it going with no problem but even with my integrated BT broadcasting at system startup and discovery activated, I still have to remove and re-add the drivers or the Mogo mouse itself to get the laptop and the mouse talking again...???
Anyone had this issue or worked around it? It's slightly inconvenient to repeat the reinstall (mouse and/or drivers) over and over again.
On these x61 tablets, is a screen protector recommended and if so, which?
BTW - I love the biometric fingerprint reader on the lower right corner near the screen. 😀
BTW - I love the biometric fingerprint reader on the lower right corner near the screen. 😀
On these x61 tablets, is a screen protector recommended and if so, which?
BTW - I love the biometric fingerprint reader on the lower right corner near the screen. 😀
download the client security solution package and that fingerswipe will hold all of your internet passwords!
I never have to worry about remembering my passwords anymore..and i have over 50 of them on various accounts...it's a big pain in the a$$ to manage otherwise
oh yea...I would recommend a clean install
follow this guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783
download the client security solution package and that fingerswipe will hold all of your internet passwords!
I never have to worry about remembering my passwords anymore..and i have over 50 of them on various accounts...it's a big pain in the a$$ to manage otherwise
oh yea...I would recommend a clean install
follow this guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783
Thanks! I'll look into it...
Do you, or anyone, know what the black, plastic, two-slotted bezel is for that came in the Lenovo box?
Thanks! I'll look into it...
Do you, or anyone, know what the black, plastic, two-slotted bezel is for that came in the Lenovo box?
i think x61 used to have a bezel problem so they may just include an extra one in there....but im not too sure....i would have to refer you to the tabletpc forums
Ugh--- shopping for computers gives me a headache. I do know what I wouldn't want... I have an HP Pavilion and when you pick it up it squeaks and creeks, feels like it's going to fall apart. And the fan makes some crazy noise when you don't sit it on your lap just right. It's only 2 yrs old.
My sister had a Dell-- she had problems from the beginning and the cust serv was horrid. It finally died after 13 months-- just out of warranty, poopers.
I want something <$1000 with a webcam that looks snazzy and doesn't feel cheap. What do u guys think?
My sister had a Dell-- she had problems from the beginning and the cust serv was horrid. It finally died after 13 months-- just out of warranty, poopers.
I want something <$1000 with a webcam that looks snazzy and doesn't feel cheap. What do u guys think?
I'd vote a Lenovo model (maybe a T61 or X series)... I can't convey how solid this machine is and I'm coming from Dell. There are probably a number of makers out there that could suit your needs.
I also like the fact that the Lenovo call center I interact with is in Canada and my service has been great thus far; very refreshing after dealing with Dell's "support" for a number of years.
I added the Lenovo webcam to my laptop (USB) for $48.
I also like the fact that the Lenovo call center I interact with is in Canada and my service has been great thus far; very refreshing after dealing with Dell's "support" for a number of years.
I added the Lenovo webcam to my laptop (USB) for $48.
Ugh--- shopping for computers gives me a headache. I do know what I wouldn't want... I have an HP Pavilion and when you pick it up it squeaks and creeks, feels like it's going to fall apart. And the fan makes some crazy noise when you don't sit it on your lap just right. It's only 2 yrs old.
My sister had a Dell-- she had problems from the beginning and the cust serv was horrid. It finally died after 13 months-- just out of warranty, poopers.
I want something <$1000 with a webcam that looks snazzy and doesn't feel cheap. What do u guys think?
I haven't had to look at laptops in a while but my Dell Latitude has been going strong for several years now. If you do look at Dell I'd probably recommend looking at the Latitude line, usually marketed more for businesses/small office. but just seem to be built better and last time I checked came standard with a better warranty.
Also seen some Sony and Lenovo 14" laptops for just under $1k that looked like decent laptops. I'm really not a Sony fan in general but they do have some sleek laptops out. Also haven't looked into how Lenovo is doing lately, just going on the fact that I really liked the IBM laptops.
Thanks nlax and white rabbit-- I've skimmed through previous posts, and it does seem the business models may be last longer. I'm thinking of waiting closer until school starts-- maybe some good sales for back to school.
I know I have to get one though-- I don't trust this laptop and I can't afford to lose all my notes and everything else when school starts.
I know I have to get one though-- I don't trust this laptop and I can't afford to lose all my notes and everything else when school starts.
Thanks! Also, have you gotten your Mogo BT mouse to stay connected? I can get it going with no problem but even with my integrated BT broadcasting at system startup and discovery activated, I still have to remove and re-add the drivers or the Mogo mouse itself to get the laptop and the mouse talking again...???
Anyone had this issue or worked around it? It's slightly inconvenient to repeat the reinstall (mouse and/or drivers) over and over again.
I'm actually receiving my laptop tomorrow! I am so excited. So, I haven't used my Mogo mouse yet. I really hope it really isn't a big problem. 😳 I will let you know once I start playing around with my new toys. Have you tried calling the company (Newton Peripherals) about how to fix it?
download the client security solution package and that fingerswipe will hold all of your internet passwords!
I never have to worry about remembering my passwords anymore..and i have over 50 of them on various accounts...it's a big pain in the a$$ to manage otherwise
oh yea...I would recommend a clean install
follow this guide http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783
Synocope, do you recommend a clean install right when I get my new laptop? Why?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Synocope, do you recommend a clean install right when I get my new laptop? Why?
Along those same lines, we don't need to do all the backing up since the laptops are new and there's no data and we have all the recovery/restore cds handy, right? What about the ABR utility? I'm looking to cut some steps...😱
I'm actually receiving my laptop tomorrow! I am so excited. So, I haven't used my Mogo mouse yet. I really hope it really isn't a big problem. 😳 I will let you know once I start playing around with my new toys. Have you tried calling the company (Newton Peripherals) about how to fix it?
Nah, I mean, it works but doesn't pick up the broadcast initially until I mess with the device mgr/drivers. See what happens with your Mogo; it's a cool toy, tho - chargin' right in the PCMCIA slot.
Tomorrow is the big day for you! 😀👍
Thanks nlax and white rabbit-- I've skimmed through previous posts, and it does seem the business models may be last longer. I'm thinking of waiting closer until school starts-- maybe some good sales for back to school.
I know I have to get one though-- I don't trust this laptop and I can't afford to lose all my notes and everything else when school starts.
small/large business models are always the way to go for computers 👍
Synocope, do you recommend a clean install right when I get my new laptop? Why?
because notebooks these days come with "bloatware" which slows down your computer tremendously...just do a clean install and install what YOU need...and you're computer will be much, much quicker
Along those same lines, we don't need to do all the backing up since the laptops are new and there's no data and we have all the recovery/restore cds handy, right? What about the ABR utility? I'm looking to cut some steps...😱
Good question - I would like to know that as well.
because notebooks these days come with "bloatware" which slows down your computer tremendously...just do a clean install and install what YOU need...and you're computer will be much, much quicker
I see. For the ThinkVantage softwares, do you think the fingerprint reader is the only program we need? If not, what else do you recommend?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 4K