What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Make sure you go to microsoft and download the experience pack and education pack. One of those should have a flashcard program for the tablet pc (and it's FREE). I used that a LOT for pharmacology. A LOT.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Make sure you go to microsoft and download the experience pack and education pack. One of those should have a flashcard program for the tablet pc (and it's FREE). I used that a LOT for pharmacology. A LOT.

Flashcard program? Does this work within OneNote or as a separate program? I'm curious if these functions work on a non-tablet as well because I'm thinking of doing that.

Thanks for the heads up on this.

As for Mac tablets, wouldn't they have to make another adjunct of OS X or something to account for tablet functions? I don't see it being hard, but Apple seems to be pretty anal about their OS.
 
Make sure you go to microsoft and download the experience pack and education pack. One of those should have a flashcard program for the tablet pc (and it's FREE). I used that a LOT for pharmacology. A LOT.

In case people are too lazy:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...16-b526-487e-919d-0bce568def39&displaylang=en

Although, this is for the Windows XP tablet edition. It is right before class so I don't know if there is a Vista version, but maybe it'll work.

Aatif Tirmizi, I figure that the tablet deal isn't right for you. I don't imagine myself writing all of my notes on the tablet (typing a lot), but in terms of pictures, diagrams and graphs, I can see the tablet having an advantage in class or making notes in OneNote.

I've been using OneNote for a bit now, and I love it, although I can't seem to find a good use for it now that I am finishing undergrad.

I guess things just work for different people. I never would've considered a tablet before but I just didn't know a lot about them. Now it seems like a more than plausible option.
 
In case people are too lazy:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...16-b526-487e-919d-0bce568def39&displaylang=en

Although, this is for the Windows XP tablet edition. It is right before class so I don't know if there is a Vista version, but maybe it'll work.

Aatif Tirmizi, I figure that the tablet deal isn't right for you. I don't imagine myself writing all of my notes on the tablet (typing a lot), but in terms of pictures, diagrams and graphs, I can see the tablet having an advantage in class or making notes in OneNote.

I've been using OneNote for a bit now, and I love it, although I can't seem to find a good use for it now that I am finishing undergrad.

I guess things just work for different people. I never would've considered a tablet before but I just didn't know a lot about them. Now it seems like a more than plausible option.


thanks for that link...i hope they have it for vista
 
I got a macbook pro for school(NYCOM), I think the tablets suck because I can't study from a computer anyway and the oils from my hands get on the tablet screen and it just pisses me off.

Aatif, this is Mike R from facebook. Do you have osteobook?
Why did you choose macbook pro?
 
I gave a guy the program off my XP based tablet - he has vista. Worked just fine. I figured it wasn't a big deal since it's a free program.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually going to try to install it anyway on my desktop because I'd like to see if that flash card program works or not on a non-tablet. You would think it works unless it really does need the pen.
 
thanks for that link...i hope they have it for vista
Good God, I hope they dont have vista installed on our computers next year at DCOM... I ****ing hate. Hate. Hate. Vista. It sucks so ****ing bad. I would much rather use XP. Actually, I would much rather use my mac, but I cant.


Did I mention I hate vista?
 
Good God, I hope they dont have vista installed on our computers next year at DCOM... I ****ing hate. Hate. Hate. Vista. It sucks so ****ing bad. I would much rather use XP. Actually, I would much rather use my mac, but I cant.


Did I mention I hate vista?

lol...i feel the complete opposite of you...i love vista!
 
lol...i feel the complete opposite of you...i love vista!

Me 2. Works great for me. I love hitting the windows button on the keyboard, typing the name of the program I want to run, and then hitting enter. Makes life a lot easier.

There have been a FEW really old programs at my work that I can't get to run in it but those programs sucked long before Vista came out.
 
Me 2. Works great for me. I love hitting the windows button on the keyboard, typing the name of the program I want to run, and then hitting enter. Makes life a lot easier.

There have been a FEW really old programs at my work that I can't get to run in it but those programs sucked long before Vista came out.


I also love the search function..I love being able to pull up word files based on actual words within the document

I also love all the eye-candy vista comes with..

However, the most important issue for me is to be able to access the S4 sleep state within seconds and be able to shove my notebook into a bag and throw it in the car...open it up back at home within a few seconds...no more hibernating or starting or shutting down...I'm a happy camper 😀

I can go approximately 1 mo without shutting down! and it never results in a slowing of the computer

Rose, are you sure your computer is "pimped" out enough for vista? that is the very source/foundation of the complaint since vista is a resource HOG...most end up installing VISTA on their comp without having the proper resources

You would need 3gb of RAM and at least a core2duo to make it run the most efficiently
 
Wow 3 gigs of RAM? I don't know about that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

When I install Vista on my desktop I plan on using this:

http://www.vlite.net/

It's a little optimizer program for the install CD. I think if you reinstall your Vista after using this, you can de-select a lot of the unnecessary features in Vista, and make it run a lot faster. From the tech forums/blogs I lurk, it seems very effective.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow 3 gigs of RAM? I don't know about that, but I guess it wouldn't hurt.

When I install Vista on my desktop I plan on using this:

http://www.vlite.net/

It's a little optimizer program for the install CD. I think if you reinstall your Vista after using this, you can de-select a lot of the unnecessary features in Vista, and make it run a lot faster. From the tech forums/blogs I lurk, it seems very effective.

actually, I would suggest using WinBubble http://unlockforus.blogspot.com/2007/11/winbubbles-features-gap.html



yep...3 gigs of ram for it to be effective....they say a minimum 1gig, but that's the minimum

3 gigs of ram would cost you around $75 with prices these days..not a bad deal
 
Agree with all the negative comments about Vista. My parents just got one, I tried to use it over break and it's about as cumbersome as a 6 yr/old brat in K-Mart. It sucks. ---- I am buying a new Macbook Pro this summer 👍
 
So..can anyone explain why they hate vista instead of just bashing on it? What is it specifically that you do not like?
 
It seems very Inefficient. It's like a knockoff of a MAC. It has the new "windows" button. lol. It seems to be slow to load its own software, contsant "updates" very awkward toolbar and the new microsoft word... well, good luck with the transition !
 
When I tried vista, I think I found every single bug it has. It crashed on me like 8 times in 20 minutes. I was NOT pleased, and immediately decided I would NEVER go to Vista until they worked out all the bugs. To date, they have only fixed a few of them although they freely acknowledge Vista is "buggy".

But then, I seem to have a knack for finding all the crash/freeze/infinite loop/reset bugs in a program very quickly.
 
It seems very Inefficient. It's like a knockoff of a MAC. It has the new "windows" button. lol. It seems to be slow to load its own software, contsant "updates" very awkward toolbar and the new microsoft word... well, good luck with the transition !

slow is that last thing I can say about vista...mine is snappy!!

sounds like you're not too used to change....a republican? 😉

anyhow, I think the new MS word is a miracle...it is absolutely amazing and I not found anyone else that thinks otherwise until this board 😱...yes it takes a little bit of getting used to...i mean it is a change after all

did you know that you can enter in authors name, web pages, etc, and it will automatically convert it into a bibliographical source for you? either apa, or whatever format you want...and then at your choosing, insert a works cited page at the end....or you can stick it in as a citation

remember the old days? when we had to do this ourselves...wow was it tedious..making sure all those dots and commas are in the right place and to make sure there is not an extra space after certain thigns...argh...what a pain!!

not anymore with the new office 07 🙂🙂

When I tried vista, I think I found every single bug it has. It crashed on me like 8 times in 20 minutes. I was NOT pleased, and immediately decided I would NEVER go to Vista until they worked out all the bugs. To date, they have only fixed a few of them although they freely acknowledge Vista is "buggy".

But then, I seem to have a knack for finding all the crash/freeze/infinite loop/reset bugs in a program very quickly.

they have vista SP1 out now....much more stable...give it another shot!
was your computer up to the task of having vista installed on it? at least 2-3 gb of ram? how quick was the processor?
 
vista requires at least 2GB ram to work in excellent mode. Other thing is that Vista will get faster as it "learns".

I personally dont need the new bells and whistles, so I chose Lenovo with XP installed.

You can always downgrade back to XP. Depending on which brand you own, difficulty in finding drivers variates.

Mind you for Lenovo, You can choose to have XP installed instead of Vista for extra $20
 
The computer had PLENTY of RAM and more than adequate processor. And the cache was totally adequate too. Not a fault of the computer. A TOTAL fault of Vista.

I did hear they put out SP1. It only fixed a few of the bugs I found... the others are still out there. Yes, I've checked. Yes, I've played with a computer with Vista SP1 installed. I can still crash it in minutes. It's a gift. I was actually asked to test software when I was younger because I was so talented at crashing programs. 🙄
 
The computer had PLENTY of RAM and more than adequate processor. And the cache was totally adequate too. Not a fault of the computer. A TOTAL fault of Vista.

I did hear they put out SP1. It only fixed a few of the bugs I found... the others are still out there. Yes, I've checked. Yes, I've played with a computer with Vista SP1 installed. I can still crash it in minutes. It's a gift. I was actually asked to test software when I was younger because I was so talented at crashing programs. 🙄


sounds like something is wrong

I've never had a crash, glitch, freeze, or anything...it's been running strong since the 08/07 purchase...in fact, I haven't even installed the sp1 yet because I have not needed it
 
I have only used Vista on campus computers, and I haven't run into any problems. The Vista bugs I've seen are on youtube, and I had to specifically look up a video displaying those bugs.

I can't see myself running into any Vista issues when I install, but it seems that you almost have to LOOK for bugs. Vista Business has been in corporate computers for well over a year and I would think they need efficient OSes that are compatible with as much software as possible. So, they picked Vista and so far, none of them are falling apart, nor are they all mass downgrading to XP.

You have to look at what Vista is trying to accomplish. It is trying to be the most compatible OS possible, like how XP is now. It is the most up to date too. When you think about everything that it wants to do, I knew from the get go that it was going to get smashed big time. And it deserves it to certain degree.

Let's look at Apple. Leopard took a long time to develop, longer than Vista it seems and right away, from launch, it had huge problems. Granted they were patched quickly unlike SP1, but think about it. Apple has a totalitarian death grip on their OS and the software that works for it. For being a pure in-house product that only takes in specific programs, it still ran into many problems.


So, just give Vista another chance, in the same way XP is working for people now. I think of the days when people stuck with Windows 2000 because XP was too buggy. It was just like then.
 
Blaming the OS is the cool thing to do.
I remember when people would talk about how much they thought XP sucked.

Vista works great. It is more powerful and easier to use than XP once you learn how to work with it.

Office 2007 is great too. Yes there is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty awesome.

I've honestly had more problems with Mac OS than w/ vista sooooo...... yeah.
 
Blaming the OS is the cool thing to do.
I remember when people would talk about how much they thought XP sucked.

Vista works great. It is more powerful and easier to use than XP once you learn how to work with it.

Office 2007 is great too. Yes there is a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty awesome.

I've honestly had more problems with Mac OS than w/ vista sooooo...... yeah.


agreed..people complained about xp too when it was the only thing out

however, xp has been out for soo long, it has nearly been perfected

on the other hand, vista is still a baby, and it still needs some issues ironed out for maximum efficiency...ie, intel turbo memory problem

but it still runs pretty darn good, and now that I am so used to the features built in, I cringe every time i have to use an computer with XP on it.

the search, sleep, screen shot, and the whole computer not jamming up because 1 program is acting up, multi-tasking.......is priceless
 
Still, I do understand why people nag on it and why they would prefer a Mac. It's just that Vista was ambitious like XP so it was bound to have hiccups. I'm eager to learn it like how I know XP now, because it does sound helpful.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Leopard took a long time to develop, longer than Vista it seems

way wrong. tiger came out 4/29/05 and leopard on 10/26/07. XP came out in 10/01 and Vista in 1/07. The gap between SP2 and Vista is much smaller, but SP2 wasnt a major OS change like leopard was.
No OS is perfect, but overall, people are disappointed with Vista, including SP1. Well over a year after release people are still customizing their new PC purchases to have Vista omitted and stick with old XP. We can go back and forth all day with this stuff, but I think youd be hard pressed to find a whole lot of sources that say Vista is a better OS than Leopard.
 
way wrong. tiger came out 4/29/05 and leopard on 10/26/07. XP came out in 10/01 and Vista in 1/07. The gap between SP2 and Vista is much smaller, but SP2 wasnt a major OS change like leopard was.
No OS is perfect, but overall, people are disappointed with Vista, including SP1. Well over a year after release people are still customizing their new PC purchases to have Vista omitted and stick with old XP. We can go back and forth all day with this stuff, but I think youd be hard pressed to find a whole lot of sources that say Vista is a better OS than Leopard.
Exactly! If Vista is such a good operating system, why do the majority of people have such problems with it to start off with? Its very cumbersome to use, and IMHO its trying too hard to work like a Mac OS. And it fails miserably. Yes, every OS has its problems, but the Mac OSs just seem to work so much better and without as many hiccups as the Microsoft garbage.
 
way wrong. tiger came out 4/29/05 and leopard on 10/26/07. XP came out in 10/01 and Vista in 1/07. The gap between SP2 and Vista is much smaller, but SP2 wasnt a major OS change like leopard was.
No OS is perfect, but overall, people are disappointed with Vista, including SP1. Well over a year after release people are still customizing their new PC purchases to have Vista omitted and stick with old XP. We can go back and forth all day with this stuff, but I think youd be hard pressed to find a whole lot of sources that say Vista is a better OS than Leopard.

Well, my apologies on the date of Leopard's dev time, but I never said that one OS was better than the other. I'm just saying that the two are trying to accomplish different things and the hate directed towards Vista is exaggerated. It is a decent OS as is Leopard. I never said Leopard was bad either; I mainly wanted to point out that even it has troubles as an upgrade.

Odds are, you should just get the OS you want and most people will know what they want before the discussion even begins. So before the flames come down, let's just work at what we want in the first place, rather than settle for what is the easiest.

For example:
http://gizmodo.com/363137/axiotron-modbook-review-verdict-a-touchscreen-macbook-done-right

Plus, there is also OSx86 or whatever it is called for non-Macs so just find a way if the OS means that much. Otherwise, be happy with either or.

rose, odds are 'people' have a hard time with it because the millions of people are using it. I think the last count was 100 million? There's going to be a lot of problems and people are going to complain. Before you know it, people will just buy new computers with XP rather than jumping to Vista just because they heard bad things or don't want to change yet. I bet they've barely spent time with the actual OS.
 
ever since i got the new macbook for free a few weeks ago (2.4ghz, 160gb), i haven't really cared for any other laptop. MACs are pretty good computers and as much as i love my HP, i like my mac better. I think im going to keep my mac as my 'take to school' computer, and i wanna buy an iMAC for my stationary computer where ever im living next year.
 
I'm not really sure whether PCs are better or Macs are better since I've really only used Macs in my entire life.
But, one thing I know is that I've NEVER had problems I hear PC people have ie Crashing while using MS Word. To put it simply, I've NEVER had a problem using my mac. So, the problems people mention sound very foreign to me. I guess I've been lucky.
 
I've really only used Macs in my entire life.

Do Macs contribute to your trolling desire in other pre-osteo threads? There's a warrant out for you and the mods are hot on your steamy trail.

Back to topic, Lenovo/IBM is my preference.
 
Update on my Lenovo x61 tablet experience:

I got it on Monday and it is pretty sweet. FYI this deal worked out great. It is legit and I highly recommend it.

http://www.theultimatesteal.com/store/msshus/ContentTheme/pbPage.microsoft_office_ultimate

If you go with vista, it won't come with SP1 installed and you won't be able to get it from windowsupdate.com because supposedly their driver isn't ready yet for the fingerprint scanner.

Just get the new fingerprint scanner driver from here:

http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/drivers/windows.asp

And then download sp1 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Doing this has made a big difference for me, especially with some of the kinks involving the new Intel Turbo Memory hard drive cache.

Overall it was a great buy. It is really fast. I love it.
 
Update on my Lenovo x61 tablet experience:

I got it on Monday and it is pretty sweet. FYI this deal worked out great. It is legit and I highly recommend it.

http://www.theultimatesteal.com/store/msshus/ContentTheme/pbPage.microsoft_office_ultimate

If you go with vista, it won't come with SP1 installed and you won't be able to get it from windowsupdate.com because supposedly their driver isn't ready yet for the fingerprint scanner.

Just get the new fingerprint scanner driver from here:

http://www.upek.com/support/downloads/drivers/windows.asp

And then download sp1 from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

Doing this has made a big difference for me, especially with some of the kinks involving the new Intel Turbo Memory hard drive cache.

Overall it was a great buy. It is really fast. I love it.

slim,

the intel turbo memory was a huge problem for me at first...but there was a fix made a while ago

it is very simple..all you have to do is disable hybrid disc power management in power management...go to advanced options and select harddrive and disable this...this will stop all the freezing and crashes

shyrem,
do you have the turbo memory? perhaps this is responsible for all of your crashes
 
slim,

the intel turbo memory was a huge problem for me at first...but there was a fix made a while ago

it is very simple..all you have to do is disable hybrid disc power management in power management...go to advanced options and select harddrive and disable this...this will stop all the freezing and crashes

shyrem,
do you have the turbo memory? perhaps this is responsible for all of your crashes

I haven't had turbomemory problems since the upgrade last night to SP1, but if it happens again I'll try this.

Thanks for the tip!
 
am I mistaken or does the x61 not have an optical drive, i.e DVD/RW?

Yeah, no CD/DVD drive. Externals are cheap, or you can run it off a desktop's optical drive or mount images if you need to install something. Although convenient for a moment, I can't imagine using an optical drive in school constantly.
 
shyrem had recommended the experience and education pack. i managed to download the experience pack, but then it would not let me download the education pack because i have vista, not tablet xp. they told me to download service pack 2, but this doesn't seem to work either because the only version i can find is for xp too, therefore it won't work either. does anyone have any other suggestions on how i can do this. should i get windows tablet xp, if so, how do you do this?
thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, since Vista doesn't have a SP2 yet, I would just find a friend with regular XP and ask them if they can download it for you. I just downloaded all of the version types just now and I plan to just import them later to my tablet, whenever I buy one.

There's no need to go downgrading your OS for these programs. If what you say is happening, just get someone with XP to download them. They don't even need the XP tablet edition; I'm on my desktop and I just have professional and I got them easily.
 
has anybody had a chance to play around with dell's xt? the price is laughable but i'm strangely fascinated with their capacitive touch...like a moth to a flame. wonderin if i'd end up gettin burned.
 
Good God, I hope they dont have vista installed on our computers next year at DCOM... I ****ing hate. Hate. Hate. Vista. It sucks so ****ing bad. I would much rather use XP. Actually, I would much rather use my mac, but I cant.


Did I mention I hate vista?

I'm with you! I'm going to need a freakin tutor if we use Vista! :laugh:

Don't worry rose, worst comes to worst we can run home after class and get on our Mac's. 😉
 
I won't buy a Dell anything. Personal preference. I just hate them.

I'll have to agree with you on this. I've used two dells before in my life and they've both produced monstrous results. Not just sub-par; nightmarish, meaning hours spent with customer service, hardware failure and the like.

Dell has been cleaning up their act lately, but once a brand kills your trust, it's near impossible to earn it back when there are so many other nice companies to choose from.