What laptop are you getting??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the info Nascar.

Also, if you look at Lenovo's website, they're having another "sale" to celebrate spring. It's the same up to 25% so you might find something.

In general, I feel like sensitivity is important to choosing a tablet. Like a lot of us said, you do get what you pay for. I tried a HP tz1000 out at Fry's the other day, being sold at $1,050 and a Fujitsu tablet (forgot model) being sold at $1,980. The screen sensitivity difference was huge, although I was very disappointed that neither tablet was Wacom enable aka pressure sensitive.

I also hope that the schools consider Lenovo as an option where tablet is mandatory. TCOM is a good example and I hope they make a good decision.


KCOM - Mesa--- also uses thinkpad tablets....they swear by them...they were really trying to "sell" them during the interview to show how technologically superior they are
 
Awesome, glad to see schools using it, although, I wonder why they feel obligated to "sell" it. Maybe they're just excited about the tablet.

Are there any other schools with mandatory tablets using Thinkpad?
 
www.lenovo.com/cpp
Passcode:556655 ThinkPad X61 Tablet http://mail.google.com/mail/?



[SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Sale price:.[/SIZE] [RIGHT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]$1,999.00*[/SIZE].[/RIGHT]




[RIGHT][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial][IMG]http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=1&attid=0.15&disp=emb&view=att&th=118c49251a9bd7b6$1,325.33*.[/SIZE][/RIGHT]




USEMARCHSAVINGS
$1,192.80*​




- Intel® Core™2 Duo processor L7500 LV
(1.60GHz) (1)
- Genuine Windows Vista® Business
- 12.1" SuperView WVA SXGA+ TFT display
(1400x1050 resolution)
- 1GB DDR2 SDRAM memory
- 80GB hard drive
- ThinkPad 11a/b/g Wi-Fi wireless LAN
- ThinkPad X60 Tablet 4 Cell Li-Ion battery
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For the bare minimum, that seems a lot higher than what I'd expect. 22% off + 15% off + coupon? And the price is still aroudn $1,200?

At that rate, I'm guessing my configuration is going to be upwards to $1,600 if I ever get one but that won't be too bad considering.
 
For the bare minimum, that seems a lot higher than what I'd expect. 22% off + 15% off + coupon? And the price is still aroudn $1,200?

At that rate, I'm guessing my configuration is going to be upwards to $1,600 if I ever get one but that won't be too bad considering.


you really get what you pay for with thinkpads...the extra price is worth it..ask anyone with a thinkpad...are you getting the Bentley of notebooks here...this is one heck of a price....
 
I paid about $1,550 after taxes and shipping, but I also got 2GB RAM, the 120GB HD, 8 cell battery, an extra pen, the AGN card and Windows XP (they actually charge like $13 extra for this).

I have to say that I am fairly satisfied with the purchase, although I had to reinstall my OS due to slow performance and programs not responding-literally out of the box. I reinstalled XP without Norton antivirus and I am going to install McAfee as it is reputed as having a bit less performance impact. I also have to go through the startup Apps and remove some of the unnecessary ones, but once I'm done I think I'll have a pretty good system in my hands.

I used Lenovos at work for a while and am generally impressed with the quality, I just think mine came with a few install bugs.
 
I paid about $1,550 after taxes and shipping, but I also got 2GB RAM, the 120GB HD, 8 cell battery, an extra pen, the AGN card and Windows XP (they actually charge like $13 extra for this).

I have to say that I am fairly satisfied with the purchase, although I had to reinstall my OS due to slow performance and programs not responding-literally out of the box. I reinstalled XP without Norton antivirus and I am going to install McAfee as it is reputed as having a bit less performance impact. I also have to go through the startup Apps and remove some of the unnecessary ones, but once I'm done I think I'll have a pretty good system in my hands.

I used Lenovos at work for a while and am generally impressed with the quality, I just think mine came with a few install bugs.

Atrain,

it is always highly recommended to do a "clean install" after first purchasing a computer. this goes for all brands...they all come preloaded with bloatware and they alwyas slow down your computer. All IT professionals will recommend "clean installing" which is reformatting your HD and reinstalling the OS...

Then you have 2 options from there to get your drivers

1) let "windows update" automatically detect and download all additional drivers needed (I recommend this method for novices)

2) download "thinkpad update manager" which will automatically scan your comp and download the drivers you only indicated...(only do this if you know what you're doing and know what drivers to select)

this will cut down on all the "bloat ware"
 
Yeah I'm going with that first choice; I have spent enough time configuring this thing and as far as drivers are concerned, I am no authority. I have noticed cleaner performance simply from re-installing to factory state.

Again, it still has some work to be done, but once we work out the kinks, I am looking forward to a healthy relationship with my X61 😉
 
Yeah I'm going with that first choice; I have spent enough time configuring this thing and as far as drivers are concerned, I am no authority. I have noticed cleaner performance simply from re-installing to factory state.

Again, it still has some work to be done, but once we work out the kinks, I am looking forward to a healthy relationship with my X61 😉

please refer to this thread for any questions...it is very valuable

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783
 
I just bought my x61 tablet.

Even though I saved close to $900, I still feel sick to my stomach for having just spent so much money.

I hope this is worth it!
 
I don't own one, but as Syncope testifies, you won't be disappointed.

ATrain, I recommend not using any mainstream or heavily marketed antivirus. That includes both Norton/Symantec and McAfee. I suggest free antivirus software such as AVG or aVast which not only have less background processing, but tend to perform better for home and small business use.

The only time I sense Norton or McAfee might even be close to useful is for a large business. The fact that these companies pander using fear of viruses to consumers sickens me.

I've fixed lots of computers from friends and family and 90% of the time, the reason for slowness and poor performance on their computers is due to McAfee and Norton. Due to the severe nature of these situations, a reformat is all I can do for them.
 
I don't own one, but as Syncope testifies, you won't be disappointed.

ATrain, I recommend not using any mainstream or heavily marketed antivirus. That includes both Norton/Symantec and McAfee. I suggest free antivirus software such as AVG or aVast which not only have less background processing, but tend to perform better for home and small business use.

The only time I sense Norton or McAfee might even be close to useful is for a large business. The fact that these companies pander using fear of viruses to consumers sickens me.

I've fixed lots of computers from friends and family and 90% of the time, the reason for slowness and poor performance on their computers is due to McAfee and Norton. Due to the severe nature of these situations, a reformat is all I can do for them.


norton and all those name brand antiviruses do blow...id suggest avg as it is less intrusive and takes up less processes...avast is also good
 
A little bit late for that for me. I did a clean install (still need to get drivers though) and picked up the McAfee Suite. Since I did she is running quite clean, I just get caught up when a few usual programs are absent and I have to install them (flash player for example)

Syncope,
She seems to be running quite well even though I haven't pursued downloading any drivers beyond what came in the factory clean install. Are they actually necessary? The system seems to be functioning to capacity from what I can tell. If so, do you recommend simply using the Lenovo online tool for auto-installing them?
 
A little bit late for that for me. I did a clean install (still need to get drivers though) and picked up the McAfee Suite. Since I did she is running quite clean, I just get caught up when a few usual programs are absent and I have to install them (flash player for example)

Syncope,
She seems to be running quite well even though I haven't pursued downloading any drivers beyond what came in the factory clean install. Are they actually necessary? The system seems to be functioning to capacity from what I can tell. If so, do you recommend simply using the Lenovo online tool for auto-installing them?


I personally do not trust the thinkpad update manager....i only allow windows update to update my drivers...i don't even have the thinkpad update manager installed on my system...if you're comp is running fine..then i wouldnt worry

You could install seperate programs for the thinkpad...i personally use the thinkvantage security center which saves your all your passwords with a finger swipe...and that is the only "thinkpad" software I use...

the hotkey drivers and System interface drivers are necessary if you want to be able to use the Fn+ keys
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ATrain, I know you bought McAfee and I'm glad it's working great for you. But from my experience with McAfee on the family desktop and Norton on my old laptop, those two are so bad, they might as well be viruses in themselves.

The 'advanced protection' they offer may only be applicable if you openly and willingly attempt to install viruses, as PC mag or another reviewer might do. Besides this function, all they do is take up RAM and processing speed whenever they want and quarantine the few viruses they know of. I'm not sure how the average consumer puts up with it, but if it is working, more power to you.

If you notice performance drops a few months from now, first, go to Run -> msconfig and turn off unnecessary start up processes. Start uninstalling things you don't need and eventually, uninstall McAfee/Norton. That alone could speed everything up.
 
I ordered my x61 on 3/19 and it says it won't ship until 4/7. Man that is slow!
 
I'm torn. Should I buy this now? Or should I hold out for a better deal? Look at my Lenovo cart below to see the details. I'm saving like $640.00 here! If I buy now I know I'm getting a great deal. But if I wait, the novelty will not have worn off by the time I start school (silly reason, I know). Plus I keep thinking I'll have more money later this summer. Truth is, I don't know why that would be true.

Cart details


Quantity
Part number
Description
Availability
Item price
Line total

1
7668CTO ThinkPad X61s - 1 Year Depot Warranty
Ships within 2-3 weeks** $1,705.00 $1,329.90 $1,705.00 $1,329.90

Processor Intel® Core? 2 Duo L7500 LV (1.6GHz, 4MB L2, 800MHz FSB)
Operating System
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Operating System Language
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic US English
Display
12.1" XGA TFT, 2x3 UltraConnect II antenna
Total memory
1 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
Keyboard
Keyboard US English
Pointing device
TrackPoint
Hard Drive
120GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm Serial ATA (2.5")
Intel® Turbo Memory hard drive cache
Intel Turbo Memory 1GB
Wireless card
Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN (supporting Centrino Pro)
Battery
ThinkPad X61s 8 Cell High Capacity Battery
Power cord
Country Pack North America
Language Pack
Language Pack US English
Warranty
7668: Express - 1 Year Depot Warranty Subtotal: $ 1,705.00 Sale


Price: $ 1,329.90 [USPMARCHSAVINGS] -$ 265.98

Estimated total: $ 1,063.92* Total savings $ 641.08


Hmm, I'm not seeing anything that might delay the shipping. I also just now noticed that it wasn't a tablet, which is why I was like 'how is this so much cheaper than my configuration???'

This seems pretty solid to me and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. What you could do in the meantime is consider buying another 1 g stick of RAM to install when it comes. DDR2 is pretty cheap nowadays.
 
I ordered my x61 on 3/19 and it says it won't ship until 4/7. Man that is slow!

lenovo has one of the worst tracking systems...basically there are 2 status's...and that is pending and shipped.....there is no confirm status or any thing in between

that estimated date of shipment is wrong...i will gauranatee you will receive ure notebook shipment email in a week or so

when i ordered mine..it showed my ETA almost 1 mo later ...but i got my notebook in less than a week

they just overshoot the ETA so customers don't complain if it comes any later...


and you purposely picked the x61s, right? if you wanted the tablet..you need the x61t...just make sure you ordered what you wanted...you can always cancel and reorder
 
The configuration I posted earlier was wrong. I really did end up going with the tablet and not the build I previously posted.
 
Are the specs similar? I would think that if you're running Vista, you need at least 2 gigs RAM.

I'm still looking into Linux for tablets and reading some configuration things to get the pen working well.
 
Are the specs similar? I would think that if you're running Vista, you need at least 2 gigs RAM.

I'm still looking into Linux for tablets and reading some configuration things to get the pen working well.

Specs are similar. I'm actually in the process of finding a good deal on more RAM. I run Vista at work and it has been good when I have had 2GB or more.

I even customized the machine to have 1x1 GB instead of 2x512MB RAM (which was the default) so that I would have room for the anticipated upgrade.
 
i am gonna go with T61 and comes below $900 with everything I want. It is basically same as X series but bigger screen. One thing I hate about reading multiple pdfs on screen is the size. So, having a bigger screen to arrange papers def helps.

you dont have to buy additional ram off lenovo, there are always cheap memory deals elsewhere.
other note: make sure you select "1dimm" 1gb ram instead of 2dimm . price is the same
 
you dont have to buy additional ram off lenovo, there are always cheap memory deals elsewhere.
other note: make sure you select "1dimm" 1gb ram instead of 2dimm . price is the same

Newegg has 2GB memory compatible with my system for $36. The same memory is on lenovo.com for $99.00
 
i am gonna go with T61 and comes below $900 with everything I want. It is basically same as X series but bigger screen. One thing I hate about reading multiple pdfs on screen is the size. So, having a bigger screen to arrange papers def helps.

you dont have to buy additional ram off lenovo, there are always cheap memory deals elsewhere.
other note: make sure you select "1dimm" 1gb ram instead of 2dimm . price is the same


excellent point...make sure you chooose the 1 dimm...or you'll end up with 2 512mb sticks instead of 1 1gb stick....and you only have 2 slots

T series has much more than the x series than the bigger screen......there is also the mangesium frame protecting both the screen and the mother board which the x series lacks i believe....the t series also has the touch pad in addition to the track point...while the x series has only the trackpoint....oh yea..and no built in dvd player with the x series...so if you're a big cd/dvd user....id go with the T..

other than that...they are basically the same...with the x series being much, much smaller and portable
 
Yeah, I was thinking of the T series as well before this tablet talk came in. It really does offer many nice things about it at a ridiculously cheap price with the discounts. Getting a tablet to me is a big decision as the functionality is so different and I've never used anything close to one (maybe a friend's wacom for a few days), so I want more hands on before making the plunge. Well, unless I get into DCOM or TCOM where they require one.

As far as the multiple PDF thing goes, the widescreen models works well for those. I don't think there is an increased price for it either.
 
Ok - I give in...
planning on a tablet but will need to play with it for awhile.

To really show my lack of computer smarts, here are my questions

what does it mean when you say you print pdf and ppt into Onenote.Are you using the word print like download? So then if you decide to print it out your handwritten notes show up? I have never seen a tablet in action. At our local store I ended knowing more than the very young and new employee.

I have never used anything but paper and notebooks for class but I am thinking a tablet may help with the absolute volumes of stuff we will get next year.

What is an easy way to learn how to use a tablet, after the tutorial??
 
You can either do an "insert file as printout" which gets you the default print style (ppt as one slide per page), or you can go into ppt or word or adobe and do a file - print and under printer select "send to onenote". You can then control all the print options as normal.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok - I give in...
planning on a tablet but will need to play with it for awhile.

To really show my lack of computer smarts, here are my questions

what does it mean when you say you print pdf and ppt into Onenote.Are you using the word print like download? So then if you decide to print it out your handwritten notes show up? I have never seen a tablet in action. At our local store I ended knowing more than the very young and new employee.

I have never used anything but paper and notebooks for class but I am thinking a tablet may help with the absolute volumes of stuff we will get next year.

What is an easy way to learn how to use a tablet, after the tutorial??

Practice using it.👍

here are some video tutorials...try doing a youtube search as well

http://www.erikpaul.net/video-tutor/onenote-video/
 
checkout lenovo outlet for new laptop deals.

I just bought t61 for $700. When I configured the same one on lenovo.com, it was $170 more expensive. It is slimmer/lighter than R61 not to mention cased in magnesium casing for protection against falls. I also went ahead got the one with a bluetooth for connections with cell phones and other devices.

last: buy it using AMEX and it will automatically add a year of warranty
 
checkout lenovo outlet for new laptop deals.

I just bought t61 for $700. When I configured the same one on lenovo.com, it was $170 more expensive. It is slimmer/lighter than R61 not to mention cased in magnesium casing for protection against falls. I also went ahead got the one with a bluetooth for connections with cell phones and other devices.

last: buy it using AMEX and it will automatically add a year of warranty


BT is very important to me...i use it every day to tether my treo to my notebook for EVDO int access anywhere while i am on the go....it would suck if i kept having to plug a cord in each time
 
How much would you say wireless broadband is overall? I know it is subscription based, but are you fairly satisfied with it? I thought wireless would be enough and I don't know if I'm ready to shell out the extra money for the EVDO.

By the way, thanks for the tutorial vids. It's awesome that he's also at KCOM from what I see.
 
Thanks for the links - and I am going to practice. Hopefully without my college-aged kids in the room to make fun of me.😳
 
My laptop is stuck in China. Or Kentucky. Or something. This is what UPS says:

SHANGHAI,
CN 03/28/2008 9:09 P.M. HUB SCAN LOUISVILLE,
KY, US 03/27/2008 3:51 P.M. THE SHIPMENT IS BEING HELD BY BROKERAGE FOR REASONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL SHANGHAI,
CN 03/27/2008 9:33 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
03/27/2008 9:30 P.M. HUB SCAN
03/27/2008 8:59 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN CN 03/27/2008 11:29 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
 
How do you write on pdf's and powerpoints? I thought OneNote enabled this, but I can't seem to find how
 
My laptop is stuck in China. Or Kentucky. Or something. This is what UPS says:

SHANGHAI,
CN 03/28/2008 9:09 P.M. HUB SCAN LOUISVILLE,
KY, US 03/27/2008 3:51 P.M. THE SHIPMENT IS BEING HELD BY BROKERAGE FOR REASONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL SHANGHAI,
CN 03/27/2008 9:33 P.M. EXPORT SCAN
03/27/2008 9:30 P.M. HUB SCAN
03/27/2008 8:59 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN CN 03/27/2008 11:29 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED


that's routine customs clearance...mine was held up in KY for 2 days as well
 
You can either do an "insert file as printout" which gets you the default print style (ppt as one slide per page), or you can go into ppt or word or adobe and do a file - print and under printer select "send to onenote". You can then control all the print options as normal.

How do you write on pdf's and powerpoints? I thought OneNote enabled this, but I can't seem to find how

Your question is answered in this post quoted.
 
I take it OneNote is pretty handy eh? @slim, did you get it preinstalled? I was looking into getting it at my undergrad campus computer store before I left, but I'm not even sure if they sell it.
 
I take it OneNote is pretty handy eh? @slim, did you get it preinstalled? I was looking into getting it at my undergrad campus computer store before I left, but I'm not even sure if they sell it.

it comes integrated with the office 2007 suite

OneNote is extremely handy..I even use it and I do not even use a tablet....you can print stuff to it very easily...you can do web clips..and it always saves...it is very easy to organize...just takes a day or so of playing around with it to get fully used to it....it is a very powerful program
 
Interesting, I forgot that Office 07 enterprise comes with it. I think I'll just get it at my campus store.

But, interesting link as well slim, although, the presentation made it seem a little sketchy. Has it worked before for someone you know?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am still trying to decide if I want to get a tablet or not. I type faster than I can write (80+ words a minute) so I can't decide if it would be better to take notes by hand on a tablet pc or save money and just get a regular laptop and type out my notes as I go. Is it worth it to spend the extra money to have all of the tablet capabilities? When taking notes I'd prefer to type rather than hand-write. However, for drawings and other things that I can't put in by typing...perhaps it it worth it to get a tablet?
 
I also type MUCH faster than I write. I still found the tablet functions absolutely invaluable. Especially for when you have ppt files and want to circle stuff, highlight stuff, etc. It's easier to take notes on the ppts with a pen than with typing and trying to run arrows to the specific cells/areas on the screen.

But it's all up to how you take notes. You also have to remember that taking notes in med school is generally totally unlike how you take notes in undergrad (unless you were one of those uber-organized note taking color coordinating draws like lightning fiends), generally because information that in undergrad they would take 2 months to cover, med school will cover in a few days (one week TOPS).
 
Interesting, I forgot that Office 07 enterprise comes with it. I think I'll just get it at my campus store.

But, interesting link as well slim, although, the presentation made it seem a little sketchy. Has it worked before for someone you know?

I have researched that quite a bit. It is ligit. There are numerous postings in other forums of people that have used this deal. Also the site has links directly to microsoft that gives more details on the offer.

I'm actually going to buy it and download it when my new x61 tablet comes (hopefully on Monday). I will post my experience with it after that.
 
I also type MUCH faster than I write. I still found the tablet functions absolutely invaluable. Especially for when you have ppt files and want to circle stuff, highlight stuff, etc. It's easier to take notes on the ppts with a pen than with typing and trying to run arrows to the specific cells/areas on the screen.

But it's all up to how you take notes. You also have to remember that taking notes in med school is generally totally unlike how you take notes in undergrad (unless you were one of those uber-organized note taking color coordinating draws like lightning fiends), generally because information that in undergrad they would take 2 months to cover, med school will cover in a few days (one week TOPS).

Thanks, ShyRem. I was wondering about that. Drawing pics, highlighting, arrows all would be difficult just typing. I was fairly organized back in undergrad, but I want to have all the resources I need for med school. Undergrad ended back in 2000, so I don't know what will work best for me, almost a decade later. I'll definately be considering a tablet pc, any other opinions on tablet versus a cheaper, ordinary laptop?