This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medyzen

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I'm new here to SDN so I'm not sure if this is the right thread. Anyways I am a nontraditional student who finished a BA in Psychology with 3.5 GPA graduated Cum Laude, but as of now I calculated my cGPA and sGPA to be both 3.4. After that I decided that I wanted to do Medical School and did the prerequisites and all recommended courses. I got all A's and B's (B in biochem) except for one semester in particular where I was going through some personal hardships and I got a D in Orgo 2 and an F in physiology. I redid orgo 2 in the summer and got an A and redid physiology and got a B. Apart from that I got a C in microbiology, I don't think there's a trend, I've always had the same grades. Anyways I have done 2 years of volunteer hours in a children's hospital (in radio lollipop, the recovery room, and the OR), I was part of AMSA's E board, I have done PLTL tutoring, my own tutoring, worked in a company called Nutty Scientists, now I am working as a Registered Behavioral Technician as Autism Therapist. I did 2 months of research, one with the Department of Children and Families in my university, and one with a surgeon. I haven't done my MCAT, I know it could make or break me. What do you think I should get in order to be competitive and get in? Where do you think I should apply?

IDK if I should mention that I am hispanic, my dad didn't finish elementary school, and i speak both English and Spanish fluently, also basic French. I am planning on HOPEFULLY staying in Florida, my goal is to go to NSU COM but any suggestions are welcome!

ALSO: I have shadowed a nephrologist, and about to start shadowing an OB/GYN, both MD
Thanks in advance!
 
Last edited:
500, but 505+ would be best.
Thank you! I am studying 6 months for the MCAT trying to raise my points. I will start doing practice exams halfway from here to March next year. Hope I make it. I've waited for this so long!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you! I am studying 6 months for the MCAT trying to raise my points. I will start doing practice exams halfway from here to March next year. Hope I make it. I've waited for this so long!
Best of luck. 🙂 Make sure to create a schedule for yourself to stay on top of the studying.
 
512, preferably 515+, and you are a good MD candidate. Can't disagree with Goro's advice, although the median MCAT for DO students was 503.
 
512, preferably 515+, and you are a good MD candidate. Can't disagree with Goro's advice, although the median MCAT for DO students was 503.
Thank you! I have no idea how my scoring is but I do have plans to practice practice practice. I got all the question packs from AAMC and the practice exams so I'm hoping that and a few FL from other companies will suffice.

Which MD schools do you think could be worth it to apply. I didn't really research because I thought I didn't really stand a chance for MD.
 
Last edited:
With a 515 MCAT and URM you would be competitive at most medical schools, 518+ then you have a shot at literally any medical school. Your extracurricular seem fine. There are a few medical school who like non-trads as well like Dartmouth.