This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medyzen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here to SDN so I'm not sure if this is the right thread. Anyways I am a nontraditional student who finished a BA in Psychology with 3.5 GPA graduated Cum Laude, but as of now I calculated my cGPA and sGPA to be both 3.4. After that I decided that I wanted to do Medical School and did the prerequisites and all recommended courses. I got all A's and B's (B in biochem) except for one semester in particular where I was going through some personal hardships and I got a D in Orgo 2 and an F in physiology. I redid orgo 2 in the summer and got an A and redid physiology and got a B. Apart from that I got a C in microbiology, I don't think there's a trend, I've always had the same grades. Anyways I have done 2 years of volunteer hours in a children's hospital (in radio lollipop, the recovery room, and the OR), I was part of AMSA's E board, I have done PLTL tutoring, my own tutoring, worked in a company called Nutty Scientists, now I am working as a Registered Behavioral Technician as Autism Therapist. I did 2 months of research, one with the Department of Children and Families in my university, and one with a surgeon. I haven't done my MCAT, I know it could make or break me. What do you think I should get in order to be competitive and get in? Where do you think I should apply?

IDK if I should mention that I am hispanic, my dad didn't finish elementary school, and i speak both English and Spanish fluently, also basic French. I am planning on HOPEFULLY staying in Florida, my goal is to go to NSU COM but any suggestions are welcome!

ALSO: I have shadowed a nephrologist, and about to start shadowing an OB/GYN, both MD
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
500, but 505+ would be best.
Thank you! I am studying 6 months for the MCAT trying to raise my points. I will start doing practice exams halfway from here to March next year. Hope I make it. I've waited for this so long!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I am studying 6 months for the MCAT trying to raise my points. I will start doing practice exams halfway from here to March next year. Hope I make it. I've waited for this so long!
Best of luck. :) Make sure to create a schedule for yourself to stay on top of the studying.

512, preferably 515+, and you are a good MD candidate. Can't disagree with Goro's advice, although the median MCAT for DO students was 503.

512, preferably 515+, and you are a good MD candidate. Can't disagree with Goro's advice, although the median MCAT for DO students was 503.
Thank you! I have no idea how my scoring is but I do have plans to practice practice practice. I got all the question packs from AAMC and the practice exams so I'm hoping that and a few FL from other companies will suffice.

Which MD schools do you think could be worth it to apply. I didn't really research because I thought I didn't really stand a chance for MD.

Last edited:
With a 515 MCAT and URM you would be competitive at most medical schools, 518+ then you have a shot at literally any medical school. Your extracurricular seem fine. There are a few medical school who like non-trads as well like Dartmouth.