What order should I do my MD/DO application? (Question is not as dumb as it sounds-open me!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeys4Lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess what I am basically asking is what order should I do everything so that my entire application can be complete the soonest without any area suffering. What can be done while other things are processing? Some stuff can be submitted after. This is essentially what I am asking about.

Okay so I have most of the information filled out. I've contacted all letter writers. I have a first draft PS (this is biggest focus right now as it definitely needs work and tons of reviewing).

My question is what order should I do everything in to MAXIMIZE competitiveness when taking into count PROCESSING TIMES and delays?

I think i should do the core application and perfect my PS and submit without worrying too much about LOR right now. I have already spoken with all except one but I have a few extra letters just in case.

Even if I submit the complete application, it will still take some time to process. Thus, I could focus on LORs during this period (but that's not to say its completely out of my mind right now). My point in doing this is so that I have a good personal statement to send to letter writers so that they better understand me and see that my writing skills are not rubbish.

This question may have a simple answer or it might not.

Members don't see this ad.

LORs are technically considered part of the secondary application, as in, you can submit your primary and receive secondaries without them, but you won't receive any IIs without them.

Finish your work/activities section and PS asap, press submit, and then start prewriting your secondaries so you can submit those ASAP as well. You're heading into late submission zone!

LORs are technically considered part of the secondary application, as in, you can submit your primary and receive secondaries without them, but you won't receive any IIs without them.

Finish your work/activities section and PS asap, press submit, and then start prewriting your secondaries so you can submit those ASAP as well. You're heading into late submission zone!

What are IIs? So I shouldn't worry about LORs as much right now? Just focus on PS an submitting?
Do you have any tips for ps? Is there like a reservoir of good PSs somewhwere that you know of? I am a little worried as my writing is a little rusty from being out of school for a while.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are IIs? So I shouldn't worry about LORs as much right now? Just focus on PS an submitting?
Do you have any tips for ps? Is there like a reservoir of good PSs somewhwere that you know of? I am a little worried as my writing is a little rusty from being out of school for a while.

Thanks.

IIs = interview invites, sorry.

I mean, of course you should worry about getting your LORs in, but it's not exactly a time-consuming part of your app. I just meant that you want to be sure they're uploaded to AMCAS around the time you get and submit your secondaries. And you don't get those until AFTER you submit your primary. But again, not sure why you have to focus on one vs. the other. All are important right now!

For PS, there's a personal statement readers thread in this forum with a list of SDNers who are willing to edit. I'm technically inactive on that list but wouldn't mind going over yours or being a sounding board. I'm harsh, but I've gotten good feedback. :)

You can always Google sample personal statements for an idea of what they look like, but they're honestly so individualized that you should do your best to write/brainstorm as much as you can without looking at others' essays.

IIs = interview invites, sorry.

I mean, of course you should worry about getting your LORs in, but it's not exactly a time-consuming part of your app. I just meant that you want to be sure they're uploaded to AMCAS around the time you get and submit your secondaries. And you don't get those until AFTER you submit your primary. But again, not sure why you have to focus on one vs. the other. All are important right now!

For PS, there's a personal statement readers thread in this forum with a list of SDNers who are willing to edit. I'm technically inactive on that list but wouldn't mind going over yours or being a sounding board. I'm harsh, but I've gotten good feedback. :)

You can always Google sample personal statements for an idea of what they look like, but they're honestly so individualized that you should do your best to write/brainstorm as much as you can without looking at others' essays.
Its only one vs the others for a few more days. Literally, i just want a decent ps in the next few days and then send it to LOR writers. (thus, LOR writers should have all my stuff necessary to write a letter by this friday hopefully.

Then, hopefully my statement will be "perfected" within 10 days to submit primaries.

Cool, I will send you a pm or something when I have a decent statement done. Thanks a ton for your help mcatjelly!

Reactions: 1 user