What schools are worth applying OOS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaim10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What data is most important in considering whether to apply to a school as an OOS applicant? Percentage out of state? What is a reasonable OOS percentage to make it worth applying to a particular school? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. Get the MSAR to check. Very valuable resource. Mostly private schools are more friendly to OOS, with a few exceptions here and there. Off the top of my head, some usual OOS schools are VCU, EVMS, NYMC, Albany, Creighton, Medical College of Wisconsin, Penn state, Loma Linda, U Miami, Wake Forest.

I need to know this too. There's only one med school in my state. And I had the same question about what percentage OOS makes it worthwhile?

And how do you figure out certain preferences that aren't in MSAR? One heard that UW doesn't take ppl from Oregon, but their overall OOS numbers aren't bad so w/o that info I would've prob wasted money applying.

Is there any OOS hope for a NW resident? My family lives in Delaware so that doesn't help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I need to know this too. There's only one med school in my state. And I had the same question about what percentage OOS makes it worthwhile?

And how do you figure out certain preferences that aren't in MSAR? One heard that UW doesn't take ppl from Oregon, but their overall OOS numbers aren't bad so w/o that info I would've prob wasted money applying.

Is there any OOS hope for a NW resident? My family lives in Delaware so that doesn't help.
check out the school's website
i'm a CA resident and when i was using the msar, i checked the box to exclude all public schools

your stats and reasons for attending should be quite high if you are OOS for a public school

Yep. Get the MSAR to check. Very valuable resource. Mostly private schools are more friendly to OOS, with a few exceptions here and there. Off the top of my head, some usual OOS schools are VCU, EVMS, NYMC, Albany, Creighton, Medical College of Wisconsin, Penn state, Loma Linda, U Miami, Wake Forest.

Many of these are private lol

WVU, Indiana, USF, USC-Greeneville, Arizona (Pheonix and Tucson), EVMS are a few I'm familiar with. As for UW, their OOS numbers are good because of their WWAMI policy. They have OOS seats set aside for students from Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho.

Most private schools have no or little OOS preference. Be sure to check the accepted students page of MSAR

UW OOS numbers are misleading compared to other schools. UW gives in-state treatment to applicants from Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, and Washington (WWAMI Region). But on the MSAR, only Washington counts as in-state. On the MSAR it says that there were 5246 applicants, 293 interviewed, and 119 matriculated for OOS, but if you exclude the WWAMI Region, those numbers change to 4846 applicants, 109 interviewed, and 19 matriculated. So only 8% of the entering class of 2014 was OOR, even though 80% of the applicants were OOR. As an Oregon resident, your only in-state chance is an Oregon school.

Edit: I wanted to clarify that UW is an exception when it comes to OOS numbers on the MSAR. There is a warning about it on MSAR right underneath the table. Just about every other school has reliable OOS numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha I meant Northwest. I've heard we are pretty screwed for OOS public schools and with only one in-state school, I'm just having trouble even knowing how to start my school list. Right now my list is just OHSU. I prob need to post sth in WAMC forum for help w/a school list.

Thanks for the info that most other MSAR OOS data is more reliable!

Haha I meant Northwest. I've heard we are pretty screwed for OOS public schools and with only one in-state school, I'm just having trouble even knowing how to start my school list. Right now my list is just OHSU. I prob need to post sth in WAMC forum for help w/a school list.

Thanks for the info that most other MSAR OOS data is more reliable!
I would look at the MSAR to find the 20 or so friendliest OOS schools, and then post the list with your stats and extracurriculars on WAMC. Some of the people with more knowledge then me can then help you with any modifications to that list.

Reactions: 1 user
U of Virginia takes about half OOS. I got accepted as OOS. I would check the current MSAR, though, as my anecdote is 4 years old. Likely still similar.

I received interviews at Iowa, Cincinnati and Wisconsin and I am OOS, though from the Midwest. Even adcoms on here discouraged me to apply to Iowa but it was a good role fo the die for me, assuming I get in. Both Iowa and Cincinnati take a certain percentage of their class from OOS so you are competing for spots with other OOS applicants.

All the Virginia schools are generally receptive to OOS students (idk why because Virginia contains the best people...) though be cautious with UVA, as it's stats are top 20 level.

At least from the numbers, OHSU seems somewhat receptive to OOS, which means OR residents have even fewer seats.
WA resident looking to possibly apply to OHSU to stay around PNW.

University of Cincinnati is a state school but they accept 50% IS post interview and 50% OOS post interview.