What should I do now? (Private Undergrad To CUNY/ SUNY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NotSoSimple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's what happened? I am an underrepresented minority male who graduated '15 from a top-tier private university in the Midwest. Where I traveled/study abroad in China studying the language and taking classes. But when I returned—despite following my adviser advice and fighting for getting credits transferred—I ended up losing my biology minor and anthropology major. Luckily, the Asian-Studies Chair was able to pull some strings/juggle credits to have me graduate with the Asian-Studies degree. Having had a C+ in all 5 science courses, I figured, I might as well just finish up for my bachelors and go straight into a post-bac linkage. As if it was that easy. I ended up finishing my undergrad and, in an effort to save money, I, a native New-Yorker, applied for SUNY and CUNY as a transfer applicant for the following year's spring semester, having had 25+ credits, my SAT was/is irrelevant- another reason why I chose applying as a transfer applicant over the traditional post-bac.

Nevertheless, immediately after graduating, I paid off all my loans in several months and then applied as a transfer applicant to approximately 10 —SUNY and CUNY—universities located in NY for the Spring '16. For the Spring, SUNY Stony Brook and Binghampton were already full -so- I figure to just apply for Fall '16, which I already did.

The first school I heard back from was SUNY Geneseo but due to a mailing error they sent my acceptance envelope to where I was no longer living, my parent's home. The packaged detailed my acceptance to SUNY Geneseo's Pre-Med 3+4 NYIT College of Osteopathic Medicine—an accelerated 7yr BA/DO program.

BUT by the time, they open the letter to tell me all about it; it was the deadline for the deposit. I panicked jotting down the login information to pay the deposit as to not miss my this possibly great opportunity.

Foolish mistake???-----All in all, I feel like I sold my soul to Geneseo tethering myself down by their acceptance offer and having paid their deposit to reserve a spot—without even being given the opportunity to hear back from my other 9 SUNY/CUNY schools. /)_-)

I know Geneseo is not a poor choice but I feel with my academic credentials, I can possibly do better. And I cannot help but wonder, "well, ****, what if a better opportunity and or acceptance comes my way, what then?" Or worse yet, after I finish the accelerated Pre-med program —which grants me a Biology degree—and want to apply to a mid to top-tier med school, what about then? I know Geneseo has a "BS/MD Early Admittance Program with SUNY Upstate Medical University" but pretty sure that requires re-application with two essays attached—not having time nor money to waste, what should I do?

MY STATS
B.A. Asian-Studies 15'
Concentration in Anthropology (Missing 1 Core-Course for Major)

GPA 3.26
Studied Abroad in China
Conducted Undergrad Medical Research Abroad with Freeman-Asia Foundation
Conducted Month Long Research in Public Health while in Inner Mongolia

Members don't see this ad.

so what type of exact help you need ??

Reactions: 1 user
Osteopathic schools typically have very small "take it or leave it" windows. They do this because they cannot afford to have students change their mind (and not get anything out of it) if they get a better offer (like you are concerned about right now) If you get a better offer that you believe will serve your interests down the line, accept that offer and lose your deposit. That is an easy call, it is just money after all. Also just because your program will eventually admit you into its medical program does not mean you have to accept it (although that is a pretty sweet deal).

"Or worse yet, after I finish the accelerated Pre-med program —which grants me a Biology degree—and want to apply to a mid to top-tier med school, what about then? I know Geneseo has a "BS/MD Early Admittance Program with SUNY Upstate Medical University" but pretty sure that requires re-application with two essays attached—not having time nor money to waste, what should I do?"

You also need to be realistic about your chances at mid-top tier medical school. Starting with a 3.26 and after completing a post bac, at best you may be able to raise your cGPA to a 3.35/3.4, which honestly does not scream mid to top tier medical school unless you have an atypically high MCAT score and even that would be a big stretch. Also, having a bachelors degree in biology is not a differentiating factor but rather makes you similar to many other qualified applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
" Or worse yet, after I finish the accelerated Pre-med program —which grants me a Biology degree—and want to apply to a mid to top-tier med school, what about then? and "C+ in all 5 science courses"

Look, based on your GPA, this isn't going to happen. In fact, with C's in all your sciences, any MD school isn't going to happen. Be very thankful you got a chance to even go DO, so take it an run

Thanks guys for the advice. I wasn't so sure before -but- I am definitely going through with the program —as it is my best option. Thanks again. There is nothing wrong with Geneseo and or NYCOM, after all.

so what type of exact help you need ??
Sorry for being long-winded and unclear in my original post.

But I wanted to let you know, I decided to just go with the most affordable option –Geneseo- because I did already pay the deposit. Luckily, as a transfer applicant, I can skip some off the non-science pre-req's -so- I can just focus on honing my skills.

More pertinent question: Do you think I can and or should transfer within Geneseo from 3/4 Cooperative Degree with the New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYCOM) to a BS/MD Early Admittance Program with SUNY Upstate Medical University. I am still not sure. I know I love to go to Geneseo but I want some assurance that I can get quality med school education, once I emerge. Anyway, what do you guys think? I know I can always apply to transfer from one internal program to other -but is it worth it?

You will have to read the requirements but from what a quick 2 minute search turned up it does not sound as though you qualify because of your status as a student and your gpa.

Hey so just to be clear
Geneseo allowed u into their BS/DO program despite you already holding a BA degree from another university?
were the other schools you applied to in the list also post bac schools?

Right....this is weird.
As the poster above mentions, such linkages are strictly for incoming freshmen straight out of high school or for a very few selected college sophomores who excelled academically and entered the Early Acceptance program (usually have to take the MCAT with a min score to proceed). I would not see such a program for post-baccs although they do exist..just not at Geneseo I think.