what year to get pregnant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Um, you misread the previous post. When I said YOU can't see God, I didn't mean literally I meant as in your perspective. But I like how you made that statement into a joke, even though you had the wrong impression. Starbucks? ok. :rolleyes:
I never said I saw God, or I hung out with him so YOU must be delusional. Lets get my statements straight before jumping into conclusions. k? Remember that word I used? FAITH. That is the word I used to say what Christianity is based on. I didn't say Christians saw God, or actually hung out with him, I said that Christianity is based on Faith. And if you don't have that then thats on you. But don't go calling other people delusional. By the way I like how you try to label me delusional based on your misinterpretation on my previous statement. o and: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am not delusional thats why I don't see things that are are NOT there. Religious people are delusional but like Mike say they are free to be that way. Its just funny to us LOGICAL people. Religious people base everything on the bible and talking to their imaginery friend God, but Non-religious people base everything on proven scientific facts, logic, common sense and education. We read something BESIDES the bible! :eek: Shocking I know.

I just don't see how people can talk to air and think there is a guy name God talking back at them. :laugh::laugh::laugh: I have nothing against that, but it is funny as hell. Just like if I was to see some guy talking to his imaginery girlfriend, its the SAME thing, Imaginery means NOT THERE, which means NOT real. You can put it anyway you want it, but talking to something thats NOT there is delusional.

Members don't see this ad.

Every religious person lives a life of hypocrisy if their goal is being like the god of their choosing. What would jesus do...have his own child...or adopt a starving child from Africa. Get a 6-figure job as a pharmacist and live a financially secure life...or give the majority of your income to feed the starving in the third-world.

It's all pick and choose...and in the US where the majority practice Christianity, few are true Christians...actually, none are...just hypocrites that pick and choose which tenants of their religion they want to follow that week.

I like the stuff in Leviticus where you are supposed to stone people to death for arbitrary reasons. Like sleeping with a woman on her period (or something like that...)

Mikey, stick to math and pharmacology and trivia games at Dave N Busters, something you know about. Religion is something you know as much about as news story writers know about the practice of pharmacy.

You know you are dealing with a person who knows nothing about religion who thinks Judaism = Old Testament and Christianity = New Testament. Then they take some lines out of the Bible and tell me what my religion teaches. That makes appear to be a fool and I know you are not a fool.

Books are just words and religion is the interpretation of the words. The US Constitution has been interpreted to mean different things at different times. Because slavery was allowed does that make the Constitution barbaric? Blacks were considered 3/5 of a person. Does that diminish the founders? Lincoln thought blacks and whites would never be equal. So what? It's the actions that count. Do I care what the Governor of South Carolina believes about adultery. It's his actions that count.

I'm sure you can find a Church somewhere that advocates killing the wayward child, but not in the mainstream Church that I am aware of.
You absolutely know less than zero about Judaism what it's teaching hold. You skipped over the concept of ethical monotheism.

I can't prove God exists. Nobody can though Maimonides gave it a pretty good shot. Who cares what people believe? It's how they act. That's why there are good atheists and despicable religious people. If people actually followed the teachings of their religions the world would be a better place.

Just because human beings can twist religious thinking for their own nefarious ends doesn't make religion bad any more than just because a nut job uses a gun to kill people it doesn't make the gun bad. It's the person that's responsible for his or her actions.

Mickey, stick to the stuff you know and keep scooping up those after Christmas sales. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

And one more thing while I am at it. You are an excellent debater but your argument about it's natural so it's ok to do whatever you want is not worthy of you. It's natural to sh** when your bowels are full, but it's better to control yourself and do it in the toilet as opposed to the kitchen floor. Just because your dog will sh** and eat in the same place does not mean you should also. Not an argument worthy of you. Humans have urges. It's how we control (NOT SUPPRESS) those urges that separate us from the animals.

Last edited:
Hmm.. But there are things like Electrons orbiting an atom for example, you can't smell, see, "touch", hear, one single electron, but it doesn't mean that it isn't there. Perhaps, what I've been trying to say is that in order to test the existence of something you can't smell, hear, or touch, you need to use other scientific methods. Sort of like Rutherford's gold foil experiment that concluded that electrons orbit around the nucleus. Something invisible (like an electron) requires a more complicated scientific approach. You can't determine the existence of electrons by the five senses individually and you can't determine the existence of God through that method either. That book "Chasing the Dragon" is a true story about a woman who goes to China because God told her to and she left on a boat penniless and every step of the way, God provided for her because he had a plan for her. God is not a human being. You obviously can't have tea with a non-human being. I don't talk to atoms and I don't really talk to God. Prayer is not from Me->God, it comes from God->Me->God. Me trying to talk to God without his inspiration is simply me talking to the air. When I do pray forreaaaal I DO feel something physical. The room spins a little and I feel a wavering sensation in my body. Personally, I haven't been much into praying lately, but when I used to do it, there was definitely a significant result! :hungover: Nothing publishable, since I am not truly in control of prayer. But I hear there is a significant result in prayer and healing cancer patients.

EDIT: Also, some people pray in tongue. I have never done so. But my best friend from high school, when I visited her in college, she changed and I heard her speaking in tongues and it freakked me out. "Tongues" is supposed to be like a godly language and only some people understand it. As for my best friend, she says when she pours out her heart to God the language comes out and she doesn't know the language but she knows what she's meaning.

Electrons are part of science. It is a fact that they are around, it has been proven and now we can use microscopes to see them. And we can see static electricity, just brush your hair in the winter time. Or take Physics II.

However NO ONE has ever seen this God and there has been absoluely NO evidence that this thing or person is around. The chances of god being real is the same as the chances that there is a ghost in my basement. Yeah, I have NO prove there is no ghost, but since there is no evidence or a REASON to believe there is a ghost then chances are maybe there isn't one. :idea: Maybe the people that are able to talk to this imaginery creature and get a response are delusional. :laugh:

ps. Whats the funniest is when religious people tell me God made us. Hell, I could have sworn my parents have something to do with it. But I guess, I am wrong, the bible is right there is NO sperm and egg...just a God that blinks things to life. :laugh::laugh::laugh: gotta love that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Electrons are part of science. It is a fact that they are around, it has been proven and now we can use microscopes to see them. And we can see static electricity, just brush your hair in the winter time. Or take Physics II.

However NO ONE has ever seen this God and there has been absoluely NO evidence that this thing or person is around. The chances of god being real is the same as the chances that there is a ghost in my basement. Yeah, I have NO prove there is no ghost, but since there is no evidence or a REASON to believe there is a ghost then chances are maybe there isn't one. :idea: Maybe the people that are able to talk to this imaginery creature and get a response are delusional. :laugh:

ps. Whats the funniest is when religious people tell me God made us. Hell, I could have sworn my parents have something to do with it. But I guess, I am wrong, the bible is right there is NO sperm and egg...just a God that blinks things to life. :laugh::laugh::laugh: gotta love that.

You can't see love and yet you know it exists. You can't see happiness. There are many things that cannot be proven scientifically. Religion and science are not out to prove the same things. I personally don't think humans will ever understand the origins of the universe. Faith is by definition a belief. There is no belief in science. You don't believe in evolution, dopey. It's either proven or it's not. Science/nature has nothing to say about morality. Science/Nature is amoral. God by definition cannot be proved scientifically. As for who or what, if anything created the universe, I don't think we'll ever know but it sure is fun to talk about.

Non-religious people base everything on proven scientific facts, logic, common sense and education.

OK, that's about the dumbest statement made in this entire thread. What happens when the facts change? They do. Science changes all of the time as understanding changes. Remember that Galileo's idea of the movement of the earth around the sun contradicted the ideas of Aristotle. Does that make Aristotle a fool. Also, common sense is very uncommon and just as many religious people have it as non-religious. There are many religious people who are three times more educated than you and ten times as smart as you. You have no proof for this assertion. No correlation with SAT, ACT, IQ or any other measure of intelligence or accumulated knowledge and level of religiosity.

Last edited:

Not true. I believe you when you say that you have never seen or heard God. It's quite clear from how you say religious people are delusional. But you can't reciprocate because you can't believe someone who says that they have seen evidence of God. You're stuck in the "no God zone." The only way you will believe is when God shows you himself. Oh well.

I think when someone says that God made you, they mean that though your parents had sex and your mom gave birth to you, they did not "make you" because God is the difference between your parents and the couple who gave birth to a stillborn. When someone tells me that "God made me" I don't assume that they don't know sexual reproduction; I know they're trying to say that God orchestrated the life in my cells/body to grow from my parents' seeds to completion and even now, God is sustaining me.

You can't see love and yet you know it exists. You can't see happiness. There are many things that cannot be proven scientifically. Religion and science are not out to prove the same things. I personally don't think humans will ever understand the origins of the universe. Faith is by definition a belief. There is no belief in science. You don't believe in evolution, dopey. It's either proven or it's not. Science/nature has nothing to say about morality. Science/Nature is amoral. God by definition cannot be proved scientifically. As for who or what, if anything created the universe, I don't think we'll ever know but it sure is fun to talk about.

OK, that's about the dumbest statement made in this entire thread. What happens when the facts change? They do. Science changes all of the time as understanding changes. Remember that Galileo's idea of the movement of the earth around the sun contradicted the ideas of Aristotle. Does that make Aristotle a fool. Also, common sense is very uncommon and just as many religious people have it as non-religious. There are many religious people who are three times more educated than you and ten times as smart as you. You have no proof for this assertion. No correlation with SAT, ACT, IQ or any other measure of intelligence or accumulated knowledge and level of religiosity.

You can see love by seeing how a person treats you. You can see happiness by watching the person's mannerism, expressions, and you can most definetly feel love and happiness. And as for god, again Sorry there is no seeing or feeling there. Just a bunch of delusions someone gets when they talk to the air at night. :laugh: So you agree that no one will ever know how the universe is made...thats true, (however, there are some guesses that makes more sense than God) but most religious people think god made it. Just like he made human beings...again no sperm or egg..just out of air by god himself. :laugh: Science is not a belief and thats a GREAT thing. A world full of facts, proves, and theorys is better than a world full of make beliefs.

Dumbest statement but its true. Religious people base everything on the bible and their relationship with god and non religious people base everything on facts and logics. Thats a fact. You can think its dumb but its true. And science is always changing. There is nothing wrong with stating something and then learning that it has changed. Aristotle is smart b/c if he was alive today he will be able to LEARN from the changes of science. What makes a fool is religious people b/c they don't learn with change. That don't believe in change. They refuse to listen to anything or learn anything that has nothing to do with God. If its not in the bible, they won't read it. If its something new and not related to what God "said" then its crap and they won't want anything to do with it. Its people like that that are dumb.

and I have notice a lot of people talking about their IQ scores, SAT, high school grades etc. However, I have yet to mention mine own, so how in the hell do you know how smart I am? And yeah there might be a religious person with a higher IQ than me, but who cares? its all worthless if all that person is willing to do is read the bible and refuse to learn any new scientific facts.

Last edited:
The more I learn about science, the more I realize there has to be a God. Life is organized is such a way that it is impossible that it all just organized itself so intricately on its own. I believe that not realizing that there is a higher being is a sad situation. Sometimes you have to be an Old Timer to realize these things. Some people realize these things earlier in life.

Dumbest statement but its true. Religious people base everything on the bible and their relationship with god and non religious people base everything on facts and logics. Thats a fact. You can thing its dumb but its true.

How can anyone even say this???? This is one of the most untrue and uninformed posts i have ever read on this board. :eek::mad:

Maybe next time you can start by avoiding generalizations. By not stereotyping people, you can begin to gain enough respect to have your opinions heard and considered.

ps: if you were being sarcastic, please forgive me and disregard this post.

Not true. I believe you when you say that you have never seen or heard God. It's quite clear from how you say religious people are delusional. But you can't reciprocate because you can't believe someone who says that they have seen evidence of God. You're stuck in the "no God zone." The only way you will believe is when God shows you himself. Oh well.

I think when someone says that God made you, they mean that though your parents had sex and your mom gave birth to you, they did not "make you" because God is the difference between your parents and the couple who gave birth to a stillborn. When someone tells me that "God made me" I don't assume that they don't know sexual reproduction; I know they're trying to say that God orchestrated the life in my cells/body to grow from my parents' seeds to completion and even now, God is sustaining me.

NO one has seen or heard god. And all those people that say they have a relationship with him...Well again I ask where the f*ck is he? what did he say? what did he do? when he "shows" himself to you why don't you take a picture and let me see? :laugh:
I GET NO ANSWER. Thats just funny. So what did God say to you? what did he do for you? what did he buy for you? when did he "show" himself to you? Does he "show" himself on friday nights only? how come he only "show" himself to certain people? Is he shy? Does he talk to you every night? WHAT?

I never get a answer and its just funny. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You can see love by seeing how a person treats you. You can see happiness by watching the person's mannerism, expressions, and you can most definetly feel love and happiness. And as for god, again Sorry there is no seeing or feeling there. Just a bunch of delusions someone gets when they talk to the air at night. :laugh: So you agree that no one will ever know how the universe is made...thats true, (however, there are some guesses that makes more sense than God) but most religious people think god made it. Just like he made human beings...again no sperm or egg..just out of air by god himself. :laugh: Science is not a belief and thats a GREAT thing. A world full of facts, proves, and theorys is better than a world full of make beliefs.

Dumbest statement but its true. Religious people base everything on the bible and their relationship with god and non religious people base everything on facts and logics. Thats a fact. You can thing its dumb but its true. And science is always changing. There is nothing wrong with stating something and then learning that it has changed. Aristotle is smart b/c if he was alive today he will be able to LEARN from the changes of science. What makes a food is religious people b/c they don't learn with change. That don't believe in change. They refuse to listen to anything or learn anything that has nothing to do with God. If its not in the bible, they won't read it. If its something new and no related to what God "said" that its crap and they won't want anything to do with it. Its people like that that are dumb.

and I have notice a lot of people talking about their IQ scores, SAT, high school grades etc. However, I have yet to mention mine own, so how in the hell do you know how smart I am? And yeah there might be a religious person with a higher IQ than me, but who cares? its all worthless if all that person is willing to do is read the bible and refuse to learn any new scientific facts.
I know how smart you are! :) and I also know how HOT you are ;)

Wouldn't you say that an intelligent scientist, psychologically evaluated as normal, who started to claim that they believed in God, as a bit of evidence that perhaps believing in God is not delusional?

I like this website about a female scientist/atheist who switched to christianity. http://ex-atheist.com/from-skepticism-to-worship.html

The more I learn about science, the more I realize there has to be a God. Life is organized is such a way that it is impossible that it all just organized itself so intricately on its own. I believe that not realizing that there is a higher being is a sad situation. Sometimes you have to be an Old Timer to realize these things. Some people realize these things earlier in life.

The more I learn about science, the less I see the need for a god to exist.

People sometimes say the eye is too complex to have evolved on its own. But if you actually see the simpler eyes in less complex animals, it's really not that hard to see the mammalian eye developing over many millions of years.

I believe that believing in a higher being can be a comfort to some people, but it's not necessary for me to enjoy my life and be happy. I think there's a possibility that a higher being exists, but I see no evidence for one.

I'm fine with you believing in God or whatever. But don't say that my belief that the wonders of science make my world great is any less relevant.

NO one has seen or heard god. And all those people that say they have a relationship with him...Well again I ask where the f*ck is he? what did he say? what did he do? when he "shows" himself to you why don't you take a picture and let me see? :laugh:
I GET NO ANSWER. Thats just funny. So what did God say to you? what did he do for you? what did he buy for you? when did he "show" himself to you? Does he "show" himself on friday nights only? how come he only "show" himself to certain people? Is he shy? Does he talk to you every night? WHAT?

I see what you're saying but God is not a person you can take photos of. He's not a person period. :hungover: All those things you've ask for is to prove that God is a person. He's not a person. In fact, he does all the things a person simply cannot do.

I have "heard" God before. I did not hear a human voice but I did get a message from Him. Not everything occurs in our human range of sensation. That is a limited view to believe that God must emit sound waves that are audible to us. Also, it is naive to say that we should be able to physically view God with our eyes. Your statements are limited to "human" sensations. There are all kinds of organisms on this earth that can sense their environments in ways that we are not capable of. God may not be physically visible or audible. He "communicates" directly with your heart.

Just wanted to add that I am a scientific thinker. I see that there is a higher being through viewing science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here familiar with buddhism and its relation between science and mental and spiritual experience?? In many's opinions, it is the religion most compatible with science, since in theory it relies entirely on experience and observation. The dalai lama has actually hosted seminars and research studies on how buddhist practice affects the brain, and has proven that meditation, mantras, and certain rituals do cause changes in the way the brain works, leading to different emotional and mental reactions to situations, changes in mood, etc. When more and more of this data comes out, i think it will be harder to say religion is totally made up.. Religious experience is clearly something that is indeed experienced by humans, and it has clearly changed our history and culture. I'm willing to bet it's not a consensual hallucination or "imaginary" experience. There is some place where religion and science meet.. and that is in the brain.

Personally, I'm buddhist and I am a SOLID believer in evolution, rational scientific laws, the lack of existence of an all powerful god, etc.. but i know a lot of people, who , when they mention "god", they are really just talking about an emotional and spiritual force that they feel inside of them that they can draw on to help others. Not provable, not unprovable.. and it doesnt have a freakin thing to do with science. They can coexist perfectly, people.

How can anyone even say this???? This is one of the most untrue and uninformed posts i have ever read on this board. :eek::mad:

Maybe next time you can start by avoiding generalizations. By not stereotyping people, you can begin to gain enough respect to have your opinions heard and considered.

ps: if you were being sarcastic, please forgive me and disregard this post.

A religious person only reads the bible, believe only everything in that book and nothing else. Thinks god made everything. Thinks they can kill, steal, cheat, whatever they want, but ask for forgiveness before they died and still go to heaven, a religious person refuse to learn anything new unless its something god told him last night before bedtime, a religious person doesn't know the value of a SCIENTIFIC FACT, a religious person knows nothing besides whats printed in the bible. And if a religious person accidently hears a scientific fact like "the earth isn't flat like paper" they immediately get angry and say, The earth is flat, god told me it is!!! Its in the bible so its true!!! :laugh:
I don't care if religious people hear my opinions or not. They proberly can't even read my opinion b/c its NOT part of the bible. :laugh:

We are finite beings. Think of it...we are so tiny compared to the Earth. And the Earth is so small compared to the universe. Who are we to say that there is or isn't a God?

A religious person only reads the bible, believe only everything in that book and nothing else. Thinks god made everything. Thinks they can kill, steal, cheat, whatever they want, but ask for forgiveness before they died and still go to heaven, a religious person refuse to learn anything new unless its something god told him last night before bedtime, a religious person doesn't know the value of a SCIENTIFIC FACT, a religious person knows nothing besides whats printed in the bible. And if a religious person accidently hears a scientific fact like "the earth isn't flat like paper" they immediately get angry and say, The earth is flat, god told me it is!!! Its in the bible so its true!!! :laugh:
I don't care if religious people hear my opinions or not. They proberly can't even read my opinion b/c its NOT part of the bible. :laugh:

Religion is a whole nother animal. But belief in a higher power is something that everyone on Earth shares.

Well sorry to break it to you, but you're wrong. Do you just come on here to make crazy generalizations to offend people?

1. I consider myself religious, which by the way is a personal identifying label, not something you can prove one way or another.

2. I read the bible as well as other books, all of which i take with grains of salt considering their context , purpose, and what i can learn from them

3. I do NOT believe god made everything. I consider myself a scientist, and believe that all physical phenomena in the universe can be explained by a rational scientific law (maybe not ones we can discover or comprehend yet, but that they are out there).

When i hear scientific facts.. I accept them if they are congruent with known facts or theories. if they are not, i will wait until evidence can prove or disprove them.

Sorry to burst your bubble!! :laugh: But at least one person here believes in science and also religion.

Prayer helps me feel better about the world and get my thoughts in order, and gives me the motivation to help others.. science helps me figure out how to fix my car or what dose of a drug will help cure someone. How these are incompatible , i just dont understand

You are one of the most offensive people i have ever met.

Nah. That's just debt. And your parents still gave you a car.
You love disagreeing with me.

An immigrant family with $100K under is no joke; it's not just "debt" it's utter poverty. My parents worked their asses off to get out of it. To this day neither of them speak English very well. Do you know how hard you have to work if you don't speak English in this country? What excuse do you have to be poor? You're white in one of the whitest parts of our country.

Religion is a whole nother animal. But belief in a higher power is something that everyone on Earth shares.

Everyone on Earth believes in a higher power, huh? You sure about that?

You have a right to feel this way. I have felt this way before. I understand where you are coming from. Maybe some of us in this forum are not understanding your underlying message since it is being conveyed in an offensive manner.

Everyone on Earth believes in a higher power, huh? You sure about that?

Not everyone writes literally. If you can understand my underlying statement, then you would see. It is innate to us as humans to question our existence and wonder if there is a higher power.

Anyone here familiar with buddhism and its relation between science and mental and spiritual experience?? In many's opinions, it is the religion most compatible with science, since in theory it relies entirely on experience and observation. The dalai lama has actually hosted seminars and research studies on how buddhist practice affects the brain, and has proven that meditation, mantras, and certain rituals do cause changes in the way the brain works, leading to different emotional and mental reactions to situations, changes in mood, etc. When more and more of this data comes out, i think it will be harder to say religion is totally made up.. Religious experience is clearly something that is indeed experienced by humans, and it has clearly changed our history and culture. I'm willing to bet it's not a consensual hallucination or "imaginary" experience. There is some place where religion and science meet.. and that is in the brain.

Personally, I'm buddhist and I am a SOLID believer in evolution, rational scientific laws, the lack of existence of an all powerful god, etc.. but i know a lot of people, who , when they mention "god", they are really just talking about an emotional and spiritual force that they feel inside of them that they can draw on to help others. Not provable, not unprovable.. and it doesnt have a freakin thing to do with science. They can coexist perfectly, people.
True! Did you know that Buddhist monks can survive 90 days in the cold mountains without food/water with a thin blanket? Crazyness.

My grandmother was a strong Buddhist who used to wake up daily at 5AM to pray. Now she's Christian. :D She was baptized a couple of years ago!

Not everyone writes literally. If you can understand my underlying statement, then you would see. It is innate to us as humans to question our existence and wonder if there is a higher power.

That's not what you said earlier. You didn't say everyone questioned whether there was a higher power. You said everyone believes in a higher power.

I sometimes wonder if there's a higher power, but I only see evidence of scientific law.

Damn, you're like the Dalai Lama. :) :thumbup: Although, I do expect you to disappoint me eventually.. so far all 6 posts me like.

No higher power. No God. Just humans and their thinkings.

I see what you're saying but God is not a person you can take photos of. He's not a person period. :hungover: All those things you've ask for is to prove that God is a person. He's not a person. In fact, he does all the things a person simply cannot do.

Fair enough, but I am stilling waiting for my "miracle" to happen. Whether its me praying to win the 113 million dollar georgia lottery or praying that the sky will turn green and the sun turns purple etc. Seriously if a "miracle" ever happens in my life I will believe in god. I just need something besides a bible to tell me there is a god.

PS. someone surving a car accident isn't a miracle it just means they are lucky the car accident wasn't severe enough to kill you. However, if God is able to bring back my grandfather who died 13 years ago than I wil lbelieve him. Just bring him back for a day a let me hangout with him. Had some stuff I wanna say to him.

Fair enough, but I am stilling waiting for my "miracle" to happen. Whether its me praying to win the 113 million dollar georgia lottery or praying that the sky will turn green and the sun turns purple etc. Seriously if a "miracle" ever happens in my life I will believe in god. I just need something besides a bible to tell me there is a god.

PS. someone surving a car accident isn't a miracle it just means they are lucky the car accident wasn't severe enough to kill you. However, if God is able to bring back my grandfather who died 13 years ago than I wil lbelieve him. Just bring him back for a day a let me hangout with him. Had some stuff I wanna say to him.
Awwww.. that's so sad:(
The God I believe in does have the power to raise people from the dead. Was your grandfather religious in any way?

This is not true at all. People can treat you well it does not mean they love you. During the civil war, may a slave treated their masters well, but I don't think it was love. Many people appear happy on the outside and and are as depressed as hell on the inside. Not everything is as it appears.

Dumbest statement but its true. Religious people base everything on the bible and their relationship with god and non religious people base everything on facts and logics. Thats a fact. You can think its dumb but its true. And science is always changing. There is nothing wrong with stating something and then learning that it has changed. Aristotle is smart b/c if he was alive today he will be able to LEARN from the changes of science. What makes a fool is religious people b/c they don't learn with change. That don't believe in change. They refuse to listen to anything or learn anything that has nothing to do with God. If its not in the bible, they won't read it. If its something new and not related to what God "said" then its crap and they won't want anything to do with it. Its people like that that are dumb.

I am a religious person. I will bet everything I own that I have read more books than you. Way more on many subjects. Science, religion, philosophy, history, you name it. Your statement is false on it's face. You can tell just about nothing from a person based on what they believe. You can however, tell a great deal about a person by the way the behave.

I don't need to know your scores to know there are many religious people that are smarter than you are. Some of the brightest people I know are religious. My Rabbi for example also holds a PhD in American History and is one of the brightest human beings I have ever known. Look at Mikey, he is as non-religious as you can get and yet he is one of the brightest people on this board. In a 25 caliber world, Mikey is carrying around a 357 caliber intellect. Please show me one scientific study anywhere that shows any correlation between religiosity and intellect. You can't because they do not exist. Since you are a person of science, please refrain from making declarative statements without the evidence to back them up.

As for God, God cannot be proven or dis-proven. There are arguments for God's existence, but there will never be proof. So what, you judge a person by their actions not their beliefs.

Awwww.. that's so sad:(
The God I believe in does have the power to raise people from the dead. Was your grandfather religious in any way?

HOW? Who was raise from the dead? Did they come out of their coffins?

This is not true at all. People can treat you well it does not mean they love you. During the civil war, may a slave treated their masters well, but I don't think it was love. Many people appear happy on the outside and and are as depressed as hell on the inside. Not everything is as it appears.

I am a religious person. I will bet everything I own that I have read more books than you. Way more on many subjects. Science, religion, philosophy, history, you name it. Your statement is false on it's face. You can tell just about nothing from a person based on what they believe. You can however, tell a great deal about a person by the way the behave.

I don't need to know your scores to know there are many religious people that are smarter than you are. Some of the brightest people I know are religious. My Rabbi for example also holds a PhD in American History and is one of the brightest human beings I have ever known. Look at Mikey, he is as non-religious as you can get and yet he is one of the brightest people on this board. In a 25 caliber world, Mikey is carrying around a 357 caliber intellect. Please show me one scientific study anywhere that shows any correlation between religiosity and intellect. You can't because they do not exist. Since you are a person of science, please refrain from making declarative statements without the evidence to back them up.

As for God, God cannot be proven or dis-proven. There are arguments for God's existence, but there will never be proof. So what, you judge a person by their actions not their beliefs.

Fair enough, you judge a person by their actions. And you most likely read more books than me b/c I usually read for fun only which means I only read fiction books and romance novels (anything by Anne Rice and Stephen King I have read though)

True, no one can disprove God or see him, and I am personally waiting for a "miracle" to happen before I choose to believe in him. I just got a lotto ticket and I will "pray" that I win this one.

You don't have to believe in a higher power. No one is forcing you.

But you just say everyone on earth believes in a higher power. :confused:

Fair enough, you judge a person by their actions. And you most likely read more books than me b/c I usually read for fun only which means I only read fiction books and romance novels (anything by Anne Rice and Stephen King I have read though)

True, no one can disprove God or see him, and I am personally waiting for a "miracle" to happen before I choose to believe in him. I just got a lotto ticket and I will "pray" that I win this one.

Everyone has recieved a miracle. That miracle is the fact they you were born and everyone else.

Everyone has recieved a miracle. That miracle is the fact they you were born and everyone else.

Birth isn't a miracle, its just what happens when a sperm and a egg gets together. If birth was a miracle then there will be no need to make condoms. A miracle defies nature.

You love disagreeing with me.

An immigrant family with $100K under is no joke; it's not just "debt" it's utter poverty. My parents worked their asses off to get out of it. To this day neither of them speak English very well.

Well, depending on who you ask, my parents don't really speak English, either.

What excuse do you have to be poor? You're white in one of the whitest parts of our country.

Bitch, I'm Scots-Irish Appalachian. You have no idea what you are talking about. I wish I was white. Like Irish white...or Italian white. Or, if fate were so kind, Anglo white. Ulster Scots-Irish? We are the most hated people in the country outside of the Muslims and Mexicans. Arguably more hated. With the start of affirmative-action we officially became the ethnic group that had the hardest mountain to climb. At least minorities have liberals taking up their cause. If you tell a joke centered around an ethnic slur concerning Latin folk, Asian folk, or Arabic folk, it will at least piss the P.C. people off.

But hilljacks? It's still perfectly fine to call me an ignorant bumpkin. Incest jokes and telling me my people can only count to 14 is perfectly fine. It's still worth a chuckle. But if I told a joke about a black dude eating fried chicken, I'd probably get banned. I still crack up when I go to the Northeast. I'll walk down the street in Philly and stop for directions. The second they hear my accent they start speaking R E A L L Y slowly like I am barely intelligent enough to have a grasp on the English language. See the Jim Webb quote in my sig...yup..cannon fodder for the military for years...the butt of every joke there is...we are subhuman trash...and we always will be...

And Asian? ****. What stereotypes do they have. Good in Math? Loyal workers? Oh, you poor ****ing ethnic group. Being stereotypically viewed as timid and owners of small penises is about as bad as it gets. But nobody crosses any of you because they asume you all are experts in martial arts. They don't cross us either...they assume we are high on meth and probably carrying a switch blade.

Look at Mikey, he is as non-religious as you can get and yet he is one of the brightest people on this board. In a 25 caliber world, Mikey is carrying around a 357 caliber intellect.

That **** is going in my sig.

And as for a study...from last year, discussing religion and IQ.

The intelligence–religiosity nexus: A representative study of white adolescent Americans

Abstract
The present study examined whether IQ relates systematically to denomination and income within the framework of the g nexus, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth (NLSY97). Atheists score 1.95 IQ points higher than Agnostics, 3.82 points higher than Liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than Dogmatic persuasions. Denominations differ significantly in IQ and income. Religiosity declines between ages 12 to 17. It is suggested that IQ makes an individual likely to gravitate toward a denomination and level of achievement that best fit his or hers particular level of cognitive complexity. Ontogenetically speaking this means that contemporary denominations are rank ordered by largely hereditary variations in brain efficiency (i.e. IQ). In terms of evolution, modern Atheists are reacting rationally to cognitive and emotional challenges, whereas Liberals and, in particular Dogmatics, still rely on ancient, pre-rational, supernatural and wishful thinking.

I still crack up when I go to the Northeast. I'll walk down the street in Philly and stop for directions. The second they hear my accent they start speaking R E A L L Y slowly like I am barely intelligent enough to have a grasp on the English language. [/QUOTE]

Show us an example of your accent. I'm curious if it sounds like the hick in the movie "The Waterboy." (Link us)

Show us an example of your accent. I'm curious if it sounds like the hick in the movie "Waterboy." (Link us)

Man, that's creole.

I'm at work right now. Just go to youtube and type in appalachian accent. I'm sure something will pop up. Though mine is a weird mix of Pittsburgh yinzer, southern appalachian, and eastern mid-atlantic.

And if I ever met you, I'd change my accent to a neutral American accent. I like to avoid the hilljack accent around outsiders. It makes them instantly think I'm as dumb as a brick.

Anyone here familiar with buddhism and its relation between science and mental and spiritual experience?? In many's opinions, it is the religion most compatible with science, since in theory it relies entirely on experience and observation.

Have you read the Dalai Lama's book The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality?

I agree that Buddhism is the religion most compatible with science and here's why: In this book the Dalai Lama relates how he uses science to strengthen his spirituality by disregarding thousands of years of Buddhist teachings and thoughts. In some instances he tosses aside Buddhism because he believes science explains the event or phenomenon more completely.

An example is atomic theory, which Buddhism has an extensive text detailing their theory in intricate detail. The Dalai Lama said it's interesting from a historical perspective, but the current model is supported by science, so that's what he believes. I'm not Buddhist, but that's impressive.

Science and religion are incompatible insofar as religion is the supreme word of God, science is the word of man, and there is little room for discussion. If science and religion contradict, it's a religious duty to reconcile the contradiction in favor of religion. That is the antithesis of science. Then again maybe this is the fundamental tenet of religion, humility to a higher power.

There are miracles every day, you just choose not to see them.....

Fair enough, you judge a person by their actions.
That's a good first step. As you go through life keep this in mind. Judge people's actions. Who cares why Goldstein gave the money for the hospital's new wing. Judge the good that was done.

And you most likely read more books than me b/c I usually read for fun only which means I only read fiction books and romance novels (anything by Anne Rice and Stephen King I have read though)

Then don't make sweeping declarative statements that are false and offensive. I am a very religious person and I read way more than just the Bible, though I read that as well, in the original Hebrew. I am trying to get through a couple of philosophy books this summer. I just finished reading Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure, just for sh**s & giggles. So now we are in agreement that religious people read more than the Bible.

I have no desire to make you believe in God. Theology is a private matter and I try not to debate theology with anyone.

Last edited:
That **** is going in my sig.

And as for a study...from last year, discussing religion and IQ.

No proof here Mikey. What religion are liberals? Is that a new religion?

And one more thing Mikey, adolescents are on reduced brain power. So on so may levels this is not a good study.

The real answer is there is no correlation between intelligence and religiosity.

Last edited:
No proof here Mikey. What religion are liberals? Is that a new religion?

Liberal quakers? I think they mean people that aren't fundamentalists. I read the entire thing once last year...it was interesting. My big issue was that it dealt with adolescents more than anything else. Adolescents are crazy as hell.

WVU, I doubt you really believe that study since you discounted IQ tests a few days ago.

Maybe, maybe not...dude wanted to be shown a study...they it is.

There was another one done recently that looked at educational obtainment...it basically went mo' college, less jesus...I can't find it anywhere though...

My big issue was that it dealt with adolescents more than anything else. Adolescents are crazy as hell.

What a hellish time. I'll gladly take adulthood and all of the associated responsibilities before I return to that Cocytus.

Maybe, maybe not...dude wanted to be shown a study...they it is.

There was another one done recently that looked at educational obtainment...it basically went mo' college, less jesus...I can't find it anywhere though...

The studies are conflicting. Google is your friend......

There is no correlation. I know plenty of smart people and I know plenty of dummies and there is no correlation between belief and intelligence....

There are miracles every day, you just choose not to see them.....

That's a good first step. As you go through life keep this in mind. Judge people's actions. Who cares why Goldstein gave the money for the hospital's new wing. Judge the good that was done.

Then don't make sweeping declarative statements that are false and offensive. I am a very religious person and I read way more than just the Bible, though I read that as well, in the original Hebrew. I am trying to get through a couple of philosophy books this summer. I just finished reading Harry Truman's Excellent Adventure, just for sh**s & giggles. So now we are in agreement that religious people read more than the Bible.

I have no desire to make you believe in God. Theology is a private matter and I try not to debate theology with anyone.

I would argue that you are more Agnostic than anything else. I mean even you said that you are not sure who created the universe or maybe it isn't created at all, and you stated that no one can prove or disprove god etc. And that sounds like something an Agnostic person would say. Which is a good thing. :thumbup: A religious person would tell me that there is a god, god talks to him everyday, and everything in the bible is the law.