This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChickenPizza

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is it considered too late in the cycle to apply with average stats?
I took my MCAT late Sept, will receive scores in two weeks.
sG3.51 , cG3.46 Biol&Psyc dbl major. (lots of retakes):nono:
Expecting average LOR.

Tons of EC & Life Experiences: 120 hrs shadowing DO, 300hrs volunteer EMT-B,
started my own student development program for at risk youth (literally 1000+ hrs)
several UG clubs.... 5 Study abroad service trips.... etc.

Will an early Nov app be too late? I see many people getting invites already and I'm just beginning. Is it better just to wait for the next cycle? I really want to try for TUCOMNY but I have a list of others. I won't be content with going somewhere like LUCOM. Anyone have any experience?

PCOM? NOVA? ALCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you do well on the MCAT (508-ish?), then November wouldn't be late ... to my understanding.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, good to hear! Thanks! Hoping I score well! :xf:

Touro-NY hasn't offered any II yet...well to SDN members anyway lol so you are more than good!

Hey Goro I figured I'd ask here rather than start another thread on it. Are you basing this answer off your own school's app cycle or does this go generally for all or most DO schools? My goal is to be complete at most schools I applied to within this week. If stats play a role mine are:
~3.5 cGPA
~3.4 sGPA
MCAT: 506

I base my answers on my own school's cycle, but flavored with the experiences of SDNers as well.

Your stats are fine for any DO school, and some MD schools as well.

Hey Goro I figured I'd ask here rather than start another thread on it. Are you basing this answer off your own school's app cycle or does this go generally for all or most DO schools? My goal is to be complete at most schools I applied to within this week. If stats play a role mine are:
~3.5 cGPA
~3.4 sGPA
MCAT: 506

I'm in a similar boat. 3.25 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 508 MCAT. Everyone I've asked has said it's not too late. Good luck with your app!

I base my answers on my own school's cycle, but flavored with the experiences of SDNers as well.

Your stats are fine for any DO school, and some MD schools as well.

Thanks for the reply. Just a bit more of a specific question. I got a 123 (between 6-7 on old scale when compared by percentile) on the CARS section, will this significantly hurt my chances or is overall score more important? Thanks again.

It won't help your app, that's for sure. But sometimes you have to apply, warts and all and see how the cycle shakes out.

Thanks for the reply. Just a bit more of a specific question. I got a 123 (between 6-7 on old scale when compared by percentile) on the CARS section, will this significantly hurt my chances or is overall score more important? Thanks again.

For MD schools this would be a significant problem. I think if you apply broadly to DO's with your overall stats you'll be fine though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar boat. 3.25 cGPA, 3.35 sGPA, 508 MCAT. Everyone I've asked has said it's not too late. Good luck with your app!

It is not too late if you have good stats. It will be too late with mediocre/below average stats.