LP1CW

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2003
651
1
0
48
Visit site
Status
I've heard the argument that we should wait and see all the finanical aid offers before we make a decision. Truth is: I'm sure that many of us have already made up our mind.

I've released my other acceptances this week. I did it based on the school that I want to attend. Yeah, my state school is cheaper, we know that, but I also knew that I wasn't attending there.

I think, if you know you won't attend a school, then just release it. There are tons of people that are hoping to grab a seat at these schools. If you have 3 or 4 acceptances, that's bull. Release at least two and then make your decision on the other two after you get your finanical aid offers and do a second visit.

I ended up with four acceptances. I was holding three and decline the fourth. I got into BU last week and didn't accept their offer. I've also released two other ones this week. So, I know where I'm going. I hope that releasing these seats early will help others.

I encourage others to do the same.
 

mlw03

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
3,127
126
281
37
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
that's a great attitude to have. i wish more people thought like you. i agree that holding more than 2 (or at most 3) acceptances at one time is a bit greedy.
 

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2003
543
0
0
42
UAB
hrem.nci.nih.gov
Status
MD/PhD Student
Way to go, man. I'm all for waiting on financial aid packages if that's really the limiting factor, but I think some people just like the fact that they have multiple offers to choose from (for the small ego boost). If you know you're not going to a particular school--RELEASE THE SEAT! Lot's of other people are sweating bullets right now because they haven't got an acceptance.

In the MSTP forum there was a recent discussion on this. Apparently there is at least one MSTP applicant who is holding on to A LOT of acceptances to most of the top 10 schools. They're also holding one to Oklahoma. This sort of behavior defies rational thought...or at least indicates an incredible lack of consideration for others.
 

SpiritiualDuck

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2003
328
0
0
39
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I released a seat today. I was nervous about doing it. But I knew that it's not the school that I want. I'm so pleased they accepted me. they were my first acceptance.

I know have one acceptance and one waitlist. If I get off the waitlist, I'll release the other acceptance.

I hope that the seat I released helps out someone that doesn't have a seat yet.
 

XCanadianRagwee

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2002
2,353
0
0
Splashing around in the alternate pool
Status
As soon as I got my second acceptance I called the other school up said I'm not coming, and then said they will have a letter in writing when the mailman delivers.

It felt weird to tell a medical school no, since most of them had told me that.
 

Mr. Rosewater

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
796
0
0
erf
Visit site
Status
i don't think having 2 or 3 is too terrible right now. i do agree that holding onto them indefinitely is bad though. also, 5 or 6 seems really excessive and selfish.
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
251
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
i dont even we will know our financial aid for most of the schools in time....

so people waiting for that might have to make a decision without even getting to see that info.

well i released my other 2 acceptances...but i hate it when a school then says to mail them a written one haha...im lazy grrr!
 
E

Eraserhead

I withdrew my U of Miami acceptance. There's just no way it will be cheaper than a UC. I hope someone on here gets it, its a great school.
 
3

39094

I released Baylor and Pritzker just recently, good luck to whoever is on those waitlists! They are both great schools and were tough to let go.

I've narrowed my choices down to 2 at this point, and am supposed to get financial offers from both before the deadline and that's when I'll make my final decision. I think holding more than two is just cruel to all the people out there who would love to know where they are going before June.

Good luck to everyone!:D
 

Mr. Rosewater

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2003
796
0
0
erf
Visit site
Status
ok ok, this thread inspired me to realease an acceptance that i didn't think i'd take. now i'm only holding 2 and i don't wanna hear no lip!
 

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2003
928
0
0
Los Angleeez
Visit site
Status
bump....for all you usc acceptance holders out there who *know* they're not going......give a girl some good news!!!!! (as many of you have already done.....thanks!)
 

meanderson

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
681
0
0
Visit site
Status
It's perfectly reasonable to be holding 5-6 acceptances at this point. It just depends on the situation.

If you are a texas resident holding acceptances to Baylor, Duke, and Drexel, then of course it would be very questionable to hold on to the Drexel acceptance. That would be innapropriate. Drop it and make the Baylor-Duke decision based on how much more expensive Duke would be.

But say someone is holding onto acceptances from their non-top 25 state school, UVA out of state, Emory, Northwestern, and another school ranked #15-30 that they sorta like. That's 5 schools, all of the non-state schools have good reps, but none are top 11-12. So of course it would be acceptable to hold onto all these.

The bottom line though is that people have the right to hold onto acceptances until May 15(and longer with some schools that agree not to drop you immediately...but I wouldn't risk it)
 

mlw03

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
3,127
126
281
37
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
i respectfully disagree with this assessment. Emory, NU, and the other 15-30 school are all about the same ballpark. if you're holding out for financial info that'd be understandable, or if you're waiting till after a second look weekend, but otherwise make a decision. no new information is going to come out before may 15 tha's going to drastically change one's impression of those schools, so stop twiddling your thumbs and choose so the snowballs can start rolling down the mountain.

so to sum up: if you're waiting for more information i think it's ok to hold more than 2-3 acceptances, but if you're just waiting until may 15 because you can, i think you should make the decision ASAP.

Originally posted by meanderson
It's perfectly reasonable to be holding 5-6 acceptances at this point. It just depends on the situation.

If you are a texas resident holding acceptances to Baylor, Duke, and Drexel, then of course it would be very questionable to hold on to the Drexel acceptance. That would be innapropriate. Drop it and make the Baylor-Duke decision based on how much more expensive Duke would be.

But say someone is holding onto acceptances from their non-top 25 state school, UVA out of state, Emory, Northwestern, and another school ranked #15-30 that they sorta like. That's 5 schools, all of the non-state schools have good reps, but none are top 11-12. So of course it would be acceptable to hold onto all these.

The bottom line though is that people have the right to hold onto acceptances until May 15(and longer with some schools that agree not to drop you immediately...but I wouldn't risk it)
 

CeLo

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 25, 2004
74
0
241
Michigan
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Everyone please withdraw so us waitlisters can get out of purgatory!!! Especially from Wayne State!
 

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
1,397
8
0
36
NYC
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
All excellent points.... i'm currently holding onto 4 schools, mostly because of irrational fears and indecisiveness... but I will be withdrawing from Jefferson on Monday. As for the other three, i'm going to wait to hear about financial aid before I make any decisions.
 

ms. a

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2003
449
2
241
Houston
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by getianshi
I released Baylor and Pritzker just recently, good luck to whoever is on those waitlists!
Thank you! Hopefully it brings me one step closer to getting into my top choice!!

Anyone else holding a Baylor acceptance and who knows they won't be going, I would be oh so grateful if you could help me out and let them know that you won't be attending!!
 

Trekkie963

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2004
359
0
0
36
California
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by ms. a

Anyone else holding a Baylor acceptance and who knows they won't be going, I would be oh so grateful if you could help me out and let them know that you won't be attending!!
Like you, I still have not heard from Baylor. If they had accepted me two months ago, I might very well have gone, but I am all set with my plans now. If I happen to get the call from Dr. Major Bradshaw (I think its funny how everyone always says his full name) before you do, I'll be sure to promptly inform him that I won't be attending and suggest that perhaps someone with a last name that begins with A be admitted.

Then I will call him a beyatch and slam down the phone...or maybe do those two in the other order. :p

Seriously, though, Baylor waits a loooong time to notify the bulk of their acceptances. I know a lot of people who didn't find out until the end of April/beginning of May last year.
 

ESPNdeportes

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
146
0
0
37
Visit site
Status
I have been accepted to three state schools, and the first one I got into was the one I wanted to go to, so I dropped the other two seats. I figure the cost difference won't matter too much
 

meanderson

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
681
0
0
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by mlw03
i respectfully disagree with this assessment. Emory, NU, and the other 15-30 school are all about the same ballpark. if you're holding out for financial info that'd be understandable, or if you're waiting till after a second look weekend, but otherwise make a decision
But since all those schools are in the same ballpark, it is even more likely that holding out for financial aid is what people are going to be doing. If it doesn't matter to someone whether they are in Chicago or Atlanta, then if one school turns out to be $25k cheaper over 4 years there is a better chance they will go there.
I think *most* people holding multiple acceptances are waiting for financial aid, and it isn't as simple as what will be cheaper, but rather how much cheaper it will be to go to a school they don't quite like as much. I don't think a lot of people are holding 5 acceptances just for the hell of holding them.

Choosing a medical school is a pretty important decision. I'd wait until all the information comes in and be sure that I'm making the best decision for myself, without worrying about whether or not someone on a waitlist has to wait another month to hear something.
 

Laz

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
40
0
0
Visit site
Status
Hey CeLo I pm'ed you :)
 
3

39094

Originally posted by ms. a
Thank you! Hopefully it brings me one step closer to getting into my top choice!!

Anyone else holding a Baylor acceptance and who knows they won't be going, I would be oh so grateful if you could help me out and let them know that you won't be attending!!
No prob, hope you get the spot. I never got confirmation though (I withdrew over email) so I don't know if they want me to send an actual letter or what.

Seriously, everyone uses email nowadays....what's with adcoms getting all huffy about wanting withdrawl letters?
 

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
5,470
8
251
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
Originally posted by mlw03
i respectfully disagree with this assessment. Emory, NU, and the other 15-30 school are all about the same ballpark. if you're holding out for financial info that'd be understandable, or if you're waiting till after a second look weekend, but otherwise make a decision. no new information is going to come out before may 15 tha's going to drastically change one's impression of those schools, so stop twiddling your thumbs and choose so the snowballs can start rolling down the mountain.

so to sum up: if you're waiting for more information i think it's ok to hold more than 2-3 acceptances, but if you're just waiting until may 15 because you can, i think you should make the decision ASAP.
tho ive withdrew all but one of my acceptances...
even if people withdrew early...for the most part movement would still not occur until may 16th no?
 

Mr Reddly

Snowglobe!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2004
900
2
0
Still trying
Visit site
Status
No no no... Don't drop them yet! Wait another month to make sure the interviews are done. Don't want them to say, "Shoot! We?ve got our selves some more seats to fill! Lets have just one more round of interviews before it?s all over."

sincerly,
Mr 3rd waitist on the right.
 

ify

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
63
0
0
aerosol
Visit site
Status
I'm giving up Pritzker next week, so hope someone gets it. I guess it's just the irrational fear that something might happen, and washU will take away my acceptance. My grades are still good, but who knows? I guess I'll be down to one acceptance by next week.
 

mlw03

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
3,127
126
281
37
Canada
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
i think most movement doesn't occur until late may because people are holding onto 3+ acceptances, then on may 14 they call or email the schools they don't want anymore. IF the majority of people started letting go of stuff earlier, i think waitlists would move earlier.

and to an earlier poster talking about financial aid: yeah, we agree on that. all i'm saying is that as soon as someone has ALL their info, they should decide.

Originally posted by jlee9531
tho ive withdrew all but one of my acceptances...
even if people withdrew early...for the most part movement would still not occur until may 16th no?
 

trauma_junky

12 step pre-med rehab
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2003
1,141
2
241
42
Visit site
Status
Please do it soon, so those of us on a wait list can bump up!