Which Dental Schools for Low GPA/ 23 DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted743248

Hi SDN,
I am wondering what schools I should be applying to for a realistic chance. I have a very low GPA and science GPA, but an ok DAT, which I know doesn't make up for my horrendous GPA but I wanted to give it a shot this year.

oGPA 3.13/ sGPA: 2.90

DAT: AA 23/ TS 22
Bio 22
Gen Chem 22
Ochem 23
PAT 22
RC 24
QR 22

I have shadowed/interned at dental offices for 5 years, with around 500+ shadow hours and held leadership positions in cultural club for past years!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
UDM, NYU, Touro, USC...

Reactions: 2 users
Hi SDN,
I am wondering what schools I should be applying to for a realistic chance. I have a very low GPA and science GPA, but an ok DAT, which I know doesn't make up for my horrendous GPA but I wanted to give it a shot this year.

oGPA 3.13/ sGPA: 2.90

DAT: AA 23/ TS 22
Bio 22
Gen Chem 22
Ochem 23
PAT 22
RC 24
QR 22

I have shadowed/interned at dental offices for 5 years, with around 500+ shadow hours and held leadership positions in cultural club for past years!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

if you have an upward trend and that dat score, i think they may notice improvement and like that. i think mosdoh, musc, lecom, midwestern, vcu, une are some good options

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys! I really messed up during my second year and kind of forgot how to be a student. Paying for that now, but my grades have definitely been on the rise since that time. I've had only A- and A's this past year (I've been taking science classes at CC and a local state university).

Thank you guys! I really messed up during my second year and kind of forgot how to be a student. Paying for that now, but my grades have definitely been on the rise since that time. I've had only A- and A's this past year (I've been taking science classes at CC and a local state university).
Just want to make you aware that some schools do not accept CC credit for core classes anymore. I believe Tufts, Boston and UPitt are a few. When you're looking into schools, confirm that having CC credit on your transcript is allowed.

Reactions: 1 user
USC, LECOM, AT Still, NOVA Southeastern, Loma Linda, UNE. A good friend of mine applied to 24 schools and got interviewed to 12 (!) schools with a 3.1 oGPA and 25 AA. She couldn't go to all of them, lol.

Reactions: 3 users
Following. Good luck~

UCSF's minimum GPA requirement is a 2.7, If you are a California resident you should definitely apply.

USC, LECOM, AT Still, NOVA Southeastern, Loma Linda, UNE. A good friend of mine applied to 24 schools and got interviewed to 12 (!) schools with a 3.1 oGPA and 25 AA. She couldn't go to all of them, lol.

Im applying this cycle and I was thinking about applying to at least 15 schools. I had VCU as one of the schools at first but then checked their stats and it wasn't the best OOS friendly. But in their 'program materials' section of AADSAS they specifically asked how many schools I would be applying to and I had to name each one! I just feel like 15- 20 schools is a lot,...but your friend applied to 24! How did schools react to hearing that? Won't some schools think that you aren't unsure about their school or whaterver else they might think?

What should someone say for applying to so many schools?

I haven't figured out how to start my own thread so i'll just ask my question here since its relevant.

I have a GPA of 2.7 and my DAT scores are as follows: PA-20, QR-19, RC-23, BIO-21, GC-20, OG-22, TS-21, AA-21. I've been involved in several orgs where I had the privilege of serving my community and have shadowed a dentist for well over 4500 hours (I work there). I applied to all schools in California, except Loma Linda, but I'm afraid my low GPA might weigh me down. I've explained in my personal statement that I've struggled with Keratoconus for the past 10 years until I received a pair of, relatively new, hybrid contact lenses, recently.

How do you guys feel I weigh in as a competitive applicant?

I haven't figured out how to start my own thread so i'll just ask my question here since its relevant.

I have a GPA of 2.7 and my DAT scores are as follows: PA-20, QR-19, RC-23, BIO-21, GC-20, OG-22, TS-21, AA-21. I've been involved in several orgs where I had the privilege of serving my community and have shadowed a dentist for well over 4500 hours (I work there). I applied to all schools in California, except Loma Linda, but I'm afraid my low GPA might weigh me down. I've explained in my personal statement that I've struggled with Keratoconus for the past 10 years until I received a pair of, relatively new, hybrid contact lenses, recently.

Im sorry to say this but your chance is really low tbh with you. GPA of 2.7 pretty much keeps you out of the run for most school, so try looking for a master program to improve your GPA.

Im sorry to say this but your chance is really low tbh with you. GPA of 2.7 pretty much keeps you out of the run for most school, so try looking for a master program to improve your GPA.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you believe I have no chance?

As KoonS said, your GPA is really, really low, and I don't think even a DAT score of 25+ can make up for that...

Members don't see this ad :)
Also smile1931, working at a dental office is not the same as shadowing. Shadowing is when you are intentionally following the dentist around and observing dental procedures and patient interactions.

TS 21 is pretty good but I don't think it's enough to make up for a 2.7 GPA. Do you have any sort of upward trend on your GPA?

I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I have to disagree with working and shadowing at a dental office are not the same thing. I've learned a lot working there and have cultivated a great passion for this field. Ive observed a plethora of procedures and have built rapports with many patients.

Also, I spoke with dean of admissions for UCSF, Dr Daniel Ramos, and he told me community service would outride any GPA.

I'm not trying to argue, but I would like to know if anyone has any objective evidence to why I'm out of the race.

Thanks guys, btw

Also, I spoke with dean of admissions for UCSF, Dr Daniel Ramos, and he told me community service would outride any GPA.

The dean of admissions told you community service would make up for a 2.7 GPA? Seriously?

You may want to ask him why the GPA range of his accepted students from previous years doesn't include anyone with a GPA that low.

Feralis go to your corner and come back out when you lose your god complex. Get a hobby man. Im looking at UCSF from 2014 and see they accepted a range of 2.6 to 4.1. You are not gods gift to pre dents.

The dean of admissions told you community service would make up for a 2.7 GPA? Seriously?

You may want to ask him why the GPA range of his accepted students from previous years doesn't include anyone with a GPA that low.
Yeah, he told me it could outride any GPA, seriously.

I see your point. So you don't think I have a chance because you've never known any case where a student was accepted with a low GPA?

I see your point. So you don't think I have a chance because you've never known any case where a student was accepted with a low GPA?

Don't listen to this guy. Apparently doing well on the dat and being a d1 at columbia apparently qualifies someone to be all knowing. Believe the admissions counselor.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 11.48.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-22 at 11.48.46 AM.png
    66.9 KB · Views: 576
Feralis go to your corner and come back out when you lose your god complex. Get a hobby man. Im looking at UCSF from 2014 and see they accepted a range of 2.6 to 4.1. You are not gods gift to pre dents.
Thanks, teefersortoofers. All I wanted to know if it is possible or impossible.

Anythings possible, obviously better stats = better chances but go for it, just keep progressing throughout the process in case you have to re apply. But these stats prove it is indeed possible if thats what you're after.

Don't listen to this guy. Apparently doing well on the dat and being a d1 at columbia apparently qualifies someone to be all knowing. Believe the admissions counselor.
Thanks a lot. I've been looking at many demographics of accepted students and only find a mean GPA so it worried me a bit. Finding something tangible that suggests it's possible to gain matriculation despite a low GPA means a lot. I'm glad admissions committee conduct a holistic admissions process because many of us have a lot to offer and are different people/students these days.

God Bless

I am pretty sure all schools have a cut off at 2.75 or more so that probably keep you out of the conversation pretty soon.
BTW, there are people got in with that GPA, but they either did a master or have something on their apps that impressed the adcoms (saved the world could be one llol)

A student could be accepted with a "low" GPA under extraordinary circumstances, not limited to a stellar extracurricular resume. I understand people are more than just their grades. That being said, the academics in dental school is very challenging in terms of volume. You will need to prove to admissions committees that you have some sort of strong foundation in order to absorb new information quickly and apply them in providing care. Some of the care you will provide are irreversible procedures. If you fail to understand why you're doing what you're doing (and quickly), then the chances of you passing dental school are low. With a 2.7 undergrad GPA (and no post-bacc work), you have not demonstrated how well you will be capable of handling a heavy dental school curriculum.

Hopefully that makes more sense from some of the dental students' perspectives. Deans will tell you lots of things to encourage all to apply, but unless they fully sit down with your application and can give you a written letter of acceptance, their words mean very little when it comes time for admissions unfortunately.
Agreed!
Undergrad Deans are really not that good at advising people, they did a horrible job advising me not to waste my time applying and here I am. Never Listen To the Dean Lol.

Thanks a lot. I've been looking at many demographics of accepted students and only find a mean GPA so it worried me a bit. Finding something tangible that suggests it's possible to gain matriculation despite a low GPA means a lot. I'm glad admissions committee conduct a holistic admissions process because many of us have a lot to offer and are different people/students these days.

God Bless

That there are students with 2.X GPA's accepted there doesn't mean they applied with just that, were fortunate, and got in. What that range isn't showing you is what the students with those GPA's had to do to make up for their low GPA: did they have extremely high DAT scores? Did they do an SMP or go to graduate school with fantastic grades? Do they have a PhD and the undergrad GPA just reflects a bad run from many years ago? Do they have other outstanding achievements or extenuating circumstances? Was there a sharp upward trend after a bad first year?

It would be naive to assume someone with a 2.7 gained admission to dental school with no other academic achievement to balance it out. I understand wanting to feel hopeful about the process, but you should be realistic before applying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Got in with around those scores. Had upward trend. Schools like NYU and Tufts are a good bet for you

I think you all bring valid points.

I also took a heavy load of courses for several years, meaning a full load of math, bio, physics, Biol with labs and passed all of them while juggling student organization duties. And yes, I did well my last year, all As and Bs :)

I already applied and am waiting for the schools responses. I think it would be a privilege to even get an interview invite so that they have an opportunity to acknowledge my struggles, achievements and passion.

I think you all bring valid points.

I also took a heavy load of courses for several years, meaning a full load of math, bio, physics, Biol with labs and passed all of them while juggling student organization duties. And yes, I did well my last year, all As and Bs :)

I already applied and am waiting for the schools responses. I think it would be a privilege to even get an interview invite so that they have an opportunity to acknowledge my struggles, achievements and passion.

I'm apply this year, at the low end with my GPA as well, 3.02. The way I see it, we won't know if we don't try! I know I will receive many rejection, but with each one, I plan on following up to see what I can improve on. I will reapply next year if worst comes to worst.

Also, try to get a job or shadow with faculty of the schools. Knowing someone is better than knowing no one.

Don't give up. Good luck to you!

Actually I was at UCSF for a tour and they told us the lowest gpa of someone who got accepted was either 2.6 or 2.7

Just want to make you aware that some schools do not accept CC credit for core classes anymore. I believe Tufts, Boston and UPitt are a few. When you're looking into schools, confirm that having CC credit on your transcript is allowed.
There is a spectrum Pitt only allows a third of coursework to be at CC.

Any luck with admission to any school?