This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savvyleslie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am a Canadian student who is considering moving to the US for medical school, however, I am not sure which schools I'll have a shot at. My background is:
- Cumulative GPA - 3.90
- Science GPA- 3.83
- MCAT score- 515
- I have volunteered internationally in Jamaica for 3 weeks, setting up health workshops and spreading awareness on local diseases
- I have volunteered for a year at a senior home
- I have also volunteered for a year at a homeless shelter.
- I also teach piano classes privately. And continuing my music education at a Music Academy.
- I, unfortunately, do not have any research experience (I am not sure if this will affect my application).

Thank you for the help on a school list!

Members don't see this ad.

You have no clinical volunteering in a hospital or clinic setting unless by "senior home" you mean nursing home, still that is not a first line experience
You have no clinical shadowing
You have no research
You have international volunteering which is looked down upon in US as potentially suspect

See the AAMC Clinical Survey Summary, get some experience, and apply in a year is my very brief analysis
Get the MSAR, see which schools are even open for you to apply, which then fit your GPA/MCAT and you need to be in top 1/2 to 1/4 at least
Jeez, go easy on him he has a family.