Who's applying to Florida schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an agreement between AMCAS, medical schools and applicant; which pretty much dictates how the process will take place. While the schools hold applicants to highest ethical standards, and frankly applicants can have no choice but to go along. There is an ethical dilemma, some schools disregard the rules for whatever reasons, although that may be to the advantage of the applicants but is is still violation of a "gentleman's agreement" with AMCAS. You might have guessed I am talking about school accepting applicants prior to the October 15th agreed upon date. It appears atleast three schools have revealed acceptance to applicants. Do you thing they have to live by different set of rules, just because they can?

I think its just because they can. I don't really see the point of the Oct 15th rule anyways. Its just more frustrating for the students and schools too I think (because they seem pretty desperate to tell you anyways).

Members don't see this ad.

There is an agreement between AMCAS, medical schools and applicant; which pretty much dictates how the process will take place. While the schools hold applicants to highest ethical standards, and frankly applicants can have no choice but to go along. There is an ethical dilemma, some schools disregard the rules for whatever reasons, although that may be to the advantage of the applicants but is is still violation of a "gentleman's agreement" with AMCAS. You might have guessed I am talking about school accepting applicants prior to the October 15th agreed upon date. It appears atleast three schools have revealed acceptance to applicants. Do you thing they have to live by different set of rules, just because they can?
Not all schools have the same trafficking rules. Also, the rules are conventions; they don't have the status of law.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SeminoleFan 3,

I saw your MDApplicants link and I have a rather tricky question for you. Why did you not apply to the institution that you are a fan of, I mean FSU College of Medicine?

Congratulations american angel and SeminoleFan!

Yup, congrats guys. I don't know if I did well enough on my first interview at USF... So Ill be living vicariously through you. Maybe Im just being hard on myself, though. I hope that is the case, I really hope to go here.

Yup, congrats guys. I don't think I did well enough on my first interview to get in... So Ill be living vicariously through you. Maybe Im just being hard on myself, though.

TPROrgoTutor you will hear on Wednesday October 18th from USF. You can call FSU to find out (they tell you if you ask!)

TPROrgoTutor you will hear on Wednesday October 18th from USF. You can call FSU to find out (they tell you if you ask!)
I just had the FSU interview last friday, I dont think a decision has been made yet, has it?

I just had the FSU interview last friday, I dont think a decision has been made yet, has it?

I think it takes about a week and half....Just ask they seem really nice over there...I have an interview on the 22nd (but I'm debating whether or not I'm going)

Americanangel,

sent you a PM...let me know, and Congratulations!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from the USF waitlist last year...did you get an email plus a letter or just an email at the time you were placed on the waitlist? A friend interviewed there recently and is anxious.

Yup, congrats guys. I don't know if I did well enough on my first interview at USF... So Ill be living vicariously through you. Maybe Im just being hard on myself, though. I hope that is the case, I really hope to go here.

Yup you are being hard on yourself. So here's a question for you. If you were to get into UF, USF, and UVM where would be your top choice of the 3??

If it was between only Florida schools and you got in everywhere you interviewed, where would be your first choice???

To whoever asked, I did my undergrad there. I didn't apply because I wasn't thrilled with the prospect of spending M3 & M4 away from the city I was going to school in. Also, I know they have a massive primary care push, and that's just not really me. I wanted a slightly bigger school, too. Not to mention, I didn't feel like taking Biochem.

Yup you are being hard on yourself. So here's a question for you. If you were to get into UF, USF, and UVM where would be your top choice of the 3??

If it was between only Florida schools and you got in everywhere you interviewed, where would be your first choice???

UVM I probably wouldnt just because of the monetary issue, twice as much...ouch... Between USF, UF, and FSU I do not know honestly. USF is my home school, Tampa is my home town, and it is a great school. FSU really impressed me in every aspect. UF is a great school with a terriffic reputation. I can quite honestly say that I have no clue and that it will be a tough decision if I am fortunate enough to gain acceptance at all three. It might be between USF and FSU, though, just because of the more competitive nature of students at UF. I cannot say for sure, though.

I can say that I am leaning towards USF, though. They've treated me well enough for undergrad, they have EXCELLENT EXCELLENT clinical facilities, and I know some of the students which would be nice.

Does getting a letter from Army congratulating me means that they get the information before me and that know that I have been accepted somewhere??

"Congratulations on your selection and entry into medical school and on starting down the path in the profession of medicine. I know you have worked hard to achieve this goal. I am writing to encourage you to consider joining us in the Medical Department of the United States Army as part of that path..............."

No it doesn't unfortunately. I got the same letter and I was excited. Some got it who have not interviewed yet, so it means nada.

Congratulations american angel and SeminoleFan!

Hey guys I don't want to jinx anything...I'm excited bc I got a good vibe, but nothing is certain until Sunday!! so lets just keep our fingers crossed, it feels good in my bones and I'm running on that!

I feel like UMiami is interviewing OOS applicants BEFORE in-state applicants this year? If you look at the mdapplicants, it definitely looks like more OOS people are being invited for interviews.

GUESS WHAT Y'ALL! I GOT ACCEPTED TO FSU COM!!!!! apparanlty they dont follow the october 16 rule so much lol! I'm so happy, i can barely type! lol

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

I'm going to do a post bac at UCF starting summer of 2007. This should take about a year (summer, fall, spring) for 30+ credits.

Will this be enough work/time spent to show an "upward trend" in my grades? How will medschools look at my gpa? Will the gpa from the first bachelors be combined with the second or...??

I'm going to do a post bac at UCF starting summer of 2007. This should take about a year (summer, fall, spring) for 30+ credits.

Will this be enough work/time spent to show an "upward trend" in my grades? How will medschools look at my gpa? Will the gpa from the first bachelors be combined with the second or...??

It depends on what your GPA is now. Do you have above a 3.0? If not, how far below? There's a huge difference between a 2.3 and a 2.9. By the same token, there's a huge difference between a 2.9 and a 3.3 so it really depends on your GPA.

What were your senior year grades like? What's your science and math GPA? Have you taken the pre-reqs yet? If not, I'd like to suggest you take it slow. I wouldn't take more than two hard sciences (with labs) per semester if you're doing GPA damage control. Any more than that and you may end up shooting yourself in the foot and if your GPA isn't very good to start with, you've lost your chance to prove you can hack med school.

On your application, the grades from your undergrad and your post-bacc will be combined for an overall GPA. However, each year of study will be separated. So you'll have a freshman year GPA, sophomore year GPA, junior year GPA, senior year GPA, and a post-bacc GPA. If you have bad freshman-senior year grades, the thing to aim for is a post-bacc GPA of 4.0 or as close as humanely possible to it. That will count a lot. However, if you ended senior year with bad grades, only one year of post-bacc won't really redeem you unless you've been out of college for a while.

My suggestion is if you just graduated and you're doing a post-bacc to bring up your GPA, you should probably get two full years of classes in so they see the upward trend before applying. If you haven't taken the pre-med classes before, start by only taking two classes (with labs) at a time and if you can handle it, then take on a third. I wouldn't take more than three at a time no matter what. You want to get A's in as many as possible.

I concur with americanangel. I'm trying not to get excited, as nothing's certain until Sunday's email. I can definitely wait 4 more days (I hope).

For those of you debating b/w the various florida schools, heres a few clips promoting the awesome instruction at my alma mater (you have to watch at least 4 minutes into it to be truly amazed--Boston, Dillards, Revereware, Why is Khaki called Khaki?...):

Baked UF Business School Professor Part 1

Baked UF Business School Professor Part 2

No one in my four years at UF was nearly this interesting...sadly.

For those of you debating b/w the various florida schools, heres a few clips promoting the awesome instruction at my alma mater (you have to watch at least 4 minutes into it to be truly amazed--Boston, Dillards, Revereware, Why is Khaki called Khaki?...):

Baked UF Business School Professor Part 1

Baked UF Business School Professor Part 2

No one in my four years at UF was nearly this interesting...sadly.
And if you watch even further you too will want to slap the "know-it-all-UF-students" just like the teacher does!

Note: this was only a joke, please don't be offended.

I have a hypothetical question for you guys. Say you have been accepted by a medical school and they offer you a full scholarship but you have to make a decision immediately. You also have 6 more interviews planned. Lets say at 1 top twenty and 1 top 5 school by US news rankings that is. (turns out this makes no sense because the top 5 school would also be in the top 20 but I digress) What would you do???

I have a hypothetical question for you guys. Say you have been accepted by a medical school and they offer you a full scholarship but you have to make a decision immediately. You also have 6 more interviews planned. Lets say at 1 top twenty and 1 top 5 school by US news rankings that is. (turns out this makes no sense because the top 5 school would also be in the top 20 but I digress) What would you do???

I'd go with the full scholarship because then you wouldn't have debt coming out of medical school

I don't really think rankings affect you unless you want to go into research medicine aka academic medicine.

That said, the schools that generally give full scholarships tend to be schools in the top 50 list and often times top 20 to top 30 list.

I've known people to get full scholarships from Umich (top 10 school), Casewestern Reserve and UPritker (top 20 schools), Emory (top 20 school), UNC Chapel Hill (top 25 school), and a few other places.

Most cases of full scholarships came from the top 20-30 schools, not those in state kind of schools.

Another thing, however, to consider is that with the IVY league non rolling schools they will interview anywhere from 700+-800+ candidates for like only a 100 something spots. Yale and HMS do this. So its really not realistic to hold your breath out for them unless you really really think you'll be one of the chosen few.

In my understanding: You are NEVER locked into a school until the day of matriculation or the day of an orientation which is "attached to" a day of matriculation unless you are in a special matriculation program like Honors, Deferment, Early Decision, etc. If you want to take the scholarship, fine. You can ALWAYS withdraw before the day of matriculation. Schools cannot lock you in using scholarship enticements. Bottom line, even if you say you'll take the scholarship, you can withdraw if you do not start academics there. All applicants should check with the AAMC when such enticements are offered in an attempt to force you to make a decision before the May 15 deadline or before matriculation. This scenario would appear to be in violation of AAMC rules for schools.

A lot of us will find something next week. It will be a relief to know that we have at least one for sure rather than several possibilities.

In my understanding: You are NEVER locked into a school until the day of matriculation or the day of an orientation which is "attached to" a day of matriculation unless you are in a special matriculation program like Honors, Deferment, Early Decision, etc. If you want to take the scholarship, fine. You can ALWAYS withdraw before the day of matriculation. Schools cannot lock you in using scholarship enticements. Bottom line, even if you say you'll take the scholarship, you can withdraw if you do not start academics there. All applicants should check with the AAMC when such enticements are offered in an attempt to force you to make a decision before the May 15 deadline or before matriculation. This scenario would appear to be in violation of AAMC rules for schools.
lost cause, you should accept the scholarship and continue interviewing. I want to second what REL said. You can't be forced to withdraw anywhere until April 15 at the EARLIEST (most schools actually use the May 15 deadline), and you can even hold scholarships at multiple schools while you're deciding where to go. Some schools that have early trafficking days (like FSU) might want you to withdraw from your other acceptances after April 15, but even then, you can still ask those schools to make an exception for you if you want to continue going on second looks or if you're waiting to hear back about financial aid packages from other schools. If a school tries to strong-arm you and bulldoze over your rights, I'd definitely think twice about going there anyway. :idea:

lost cause, you should accept the scholarship and continue interviewing. I want to second what REL said. You can't be forced to withdraw anywhere until April 15 at the EARLIEST (most schools actually use the May 15 deadline), and you can even hold scholarships at multiple schools while you're deciding where to go. Some schools that have early trafficking days (like FSU) might want you to withdraw from your other acceptances after April 15, but even then, you can still ask those schools to make an exception for you if you want to continue going on second looks or if you're waiting to hear back about financial aid packages from other schools. If a school tries to strong-arm you and bulldoze over your rights, I'd definitely think twice about going there anyway. :idea:

hmm. the lady at fsu said that once you pay you $30 fee, and turn in the general fsu application, its than when it becomes binding, and you HAVe to go there. Maybe i go it wrong. not sure.

:D Thanks guys those are great responses, but don't forget I said hypothetical. I was just trying to make an interesting post.

Dear Rel, or whoever can answer,
If you're alreay accepted to a med school, does it matter what you get for your grades in your senior year, as long as you graduate? I feel like slacking this year.

New message from AAMC:
The August 2006 scores will be loaded shortly -- probably about midnight Eastern. Thank you for your patience.

Dear Rel, or whoever can answer,
If you're alreay accepted to a med school, does it matter what you get for your grades in your senior year, as long as you graduate? I feel like slacking this year.

I'm sure that your acceptance letter said something to the effect of, "You've been accepted... pending continued academic success." You can't slack too much because a school can always renege an offer if it feels that you aren't a serious student.

New message from AAMC:
The August 2006 scores will be loaded shortly -- probably about midnight Eastern. Thank you for your patience.

Thank GOD, we passed that stage!

guys just got my MCAT

25 O, 9 vr 8 bs 8 ps

Already accepted into Miami via the Medical Scholars Program and from what I'm told I dont need a min MCAT since the requirements changed after I enrolled. However I don't want to give the committe a bad impression based on my scores. Hopefully it's not too big of a deal.

hmm. the lady at fsu said that once you pay you $30 fee, and turn in the general fsu application, its than when it becomes binding, and you HAVe to go there. Maybe i go it wrong. not sure.
Are you applying ED? If it's RD, you definitely aren't locked in at the point when you submit your secondary!

Are you applying ED? If it's RD, you definitely aren't locked in at the point when you submit your secondary!
at FSU you do not pay the application fee and submit the FSU application (general) until you have already beed accepted. This is the general school's application, not the secondary. I guess filling it out would be a kind of acceptance of their acceptance.

No, I'm not ED. I don't mean med school school application or secondary. I mean the application FSU itself that you have to turn in after your accepted with like a $36 fee. They said once you pay that $36, its binding.

No, I'm not ED. I don't mean med school school application or secondary. I mean the application FSU itself that you have to turn in after your accepted with like a $36 fee. They said once you pay that $36, its binding.

I think this is not in accordance with AMCAS recommendations, but nor is acceptance before October 15th and they did that too!

guys just got my MCAT

25 O, 9 vr 8 bs 8 ps

Already accepted into Miami via the Medical Scholars Program and from what I'm told I dont need a min MCAT since the requirements changed after I enrolled. However I don't want to give the committe a bad impression based on my scores. Hopefully it's not too big of a deal.

They wont care, your in already. 25 is fine, their cutoff for instate during normal app is 24 anyways :) .

Has anybody been invited to interview at FSU?

Has anybody been invited to interview at FSU?

Yes, there has even been on acceptance reported. There are several of us who have interviewed there, and a few of us hearing back for final decision this tuesday... :scared: :scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.