"Why don't you help people?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tco87

Illinois 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came across an awkward situation last night where someone I had just met more or less told me she disapproved of my decision to become a veterinarian because "there are a lot of people who need help". She immediately apologized and said she had put her foot in her mouth, and since we were out for someone else's birthday I let the issue drop.

This makes me think of the "Why don't you want to be a real doctor?" question, as it's also based in ignorance of what veterinarians actually do. I'm sure other people here have had this issue too, and I'm wondering how you handled it. My mindset is that veterinarians do play an important role in their communities, even if they aren't bandaging human wounds, and even if they didn't, I'm not obligated to only seek careers that help other people. If I want to become a scuba instructor, or fashion designer, or anything else I should be allowed to without having my choice attacked or put down by others because I'm not "helping" people enough.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the best way to make those points without coming across as too aggressive or defensive. This is the first time it has ever come up in almost 10 years but I'm sure it won't be the last.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What did this person do for a living? If it isn't something that directly helps people then what makes them think they can judge you. Anyway I have 2 answers that I usually stick to in this situation. 1) I want to be the help/treat patients that can't tell you whats wrong. This is animals or pediatrics. 2) I want to be a veterinarian because it takes 5 MD's to do the job of 1 DVM. ex/ ER,radiologist, surgeon, anesthesia, pharm= 1 rural vet.

Probably wouldn't be the most tactful response, but I probably would have started naming all the ways that being a veterinarian does help people. Human animal bond, importance of pets in people's lives, public health, lab animal medicine... and so on and so on.

Really, I would have asked why the person felt that way in order to try to understand where they were coming from. It's possible that they have a sick family member or something and in their worry said something they regret. I also think a lot of people don't understand what veterinarians do and therefore it's an opportunity to educate them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I feel that veterinarians can play a hugely important role in peoples' lives. I'm a technician in general practice, and as I work, I am acutely aware of the human aspect of the job. Pets are such important figures in human lives, and when illness, injury, etc strike, people are strongly affected.
Every time a veterinarian works to diagnose or treat a sick animal, they are improving the lives of the people who love that animal.
Vets comfort owners in distress, help them to understand, interpret, and make otherwise scary/confusing decisions about pet health, ease them through the loss process, and can even provide the financial help (payment plans, info about care credit, etc) that makes the difference between treatment and euthanasia. And of course there is the public help aspect that so often goes ignored.
I work with so many owners who are frightened and confused about everything from a pet's terminal illness to vaccine scheduling, and love doing whatever I can to make them feel more comfortable about the processes of animal medicine. I think that this aspect of vet med is often overlooked.

I'll step off my soapbox now. I just have a strong conviction that vets help people in more ways than anyone really understands.
I've never had to respond to a question like this (although I have gotten the "but human doctors make so much more money!" thing. Ugh.), but I think it's sufficient to say that this is where your passion is, and that helping pets helps owners, and then drop it. It's not really worth getting into a heated debate over one person's thoughtless comment.

Because animals are cuter than people, duh! Seriously though, vets help humans all the time. Whether it's food inspection or working for the CDC, etc., vets are important to the public's health. I don't think most of the public understands exactly how many different career options are available to veterinarians, and how much a lot of those career options are more beneficial to humans than to animals.

This is where the public's understanding of veterinary medicine is important to remember. As someone headed toward lab animal med, I probably would have asked them if they had ever been vaccinated, or undergone anesthesia, or taken medication or received a transplant or etcetcetc. All things that animals and veterinarians have been a part of developing and understanding, all things that have "helped people". Food safety, drug developments, epidemiology, and even taking care of people's pets "helps people". For all that small animal vets help people, other aspects of vet med that the general public seems to know nothing about help people even more. I get annoyed when family friends offer to hook me up with Fluffy's vet for the summer because that's all they understand a vet's role to be - caring for family pets. At first I tried to explain what I wanted to do, but "Oh.." is the most likely response and I've just kind of given up. In these situations it would be hard not to get defensive, but I would use it as an opportunity to explain to that person just how broad a field vet med is and just how much helping of people we really do - it's just not as obvious as a human doctor saving orphans in Africa.

I hate false dichotomies. I've heard these types of statements all the time. When you're promoting any one cause, there's always someone thinking that there's another cause that's more important. Like if you work in animal rescue, people who don't care about animals will ask why you don't work to help poor, starving kids in a 3rd world country, and it's rare if ever the case that any of these people are doing anything selfless themselves. I've been at protests for several causes and passersby will ask why we're fighting for so-and-so when there's a war going on or terrible joblessness in the country, and it's like, "Why can't we address both at the same time? I'm doing my part on this thing; you do your part on something else!" People who are the most apathetic are often the most likely to criticize others for doing something they believe in, and it's my suspicion that they think by tearing down someone else's purpose in life they can justify their lack of dedication to causes bigger than themselves, and somehow assuage their guilt.

/end rant

I could agree with all your responses, but to the OP, those kinds of responses really come from the insecurities of the person making the comment, so there is little you will say that can make a difference.

There are a lot of people who are uncomfortable with the bond others have with animals, mainly because of the lack in their own. I have seen it many times, and unfortunately society condones their thoughts with the "but it is only an animal" justification.

When you realize how insecure they are, it should make it easier just to say, because I enjoy improving animals lives or whatever and leave it at that. You have no need to justify what you do. And never feel you have to.

I'd probably respond something like this: "Well, many people have pets, and pets need doctors, too..." or something similarly short and simple. It's misguided to think that we should all be doctors, just because people need help. Most professions are important to the benefit of society, whether they impact people directly or indirectly. True, you don't have to justify your decision to anyone (other than adcoms), but sometimes it helps to politely reaffirm that your role is just as necessary as another.

The way I look at it, companion animal Veterinarians are helping people, possibly on the deepest level someone can. I mean, think about it. For the average American, their pet is their best friend, confidant, and constant non-judging companion. They keep us healthier, lower our blood pressure, and speed up recovery times after illness or depression. Pets make people happier and healthier. Clearly, by taking part is maintaining and extending the human-animal bond, we are helping people. In some ways you could say a veterinarian is not only responsible for the physical health of the animal, but also the emotional health of the human.
For food animals or working animals I would also argue that their necessity for human health and well being.
Veterinarians who work in labs make sure that humans and animals alike continue to have better quality of life. Some even are responsible for helping to prevent outbreaks of disease and zoonosis.
So, Veterinarians help people AND animals. When you really get right down to it, the animals generally dont understand why they are being bothered or made uncomfortable by the strange person in a white coat. We all love animals and don't want them to hurt, but we really are doing it because the human factor asked us to.

When you realize how insecure they are, it should make it easier just to say, because I enjoy improving animals lives or whatever and leave it at that. You have no need to justify what you do. And never feel you have to.

:claps:

:thumbup::thumbup: Well put!

I think that there are just some people who don't care for pets (dogs and cats). Those people don't see the real need for your typical "city vet" because they would never use their services.

They don't think of families whose pets play a real role (love, fun, etc.). They also don't think of the vets who help care for the livestock which puts milk in the fridge or food on the table.

Don't over concern yourself with those people. Have confidence in yourself and that you do make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is where the public's understanding of veterinary medicine is important to remember. As someone headed toward lab animal med, I probably would have asked them if they had ever been vaccinated, or undergone anesthesia, or taken medication or received a transplant or etcetcetc. All things that animals and veterinarians have been a part of developing and understanding, all things that have "helped people". Food safety, drug developments, epidemiology, and even taking care of people's pets "helps people". For all that small animal vets help people, other aspects of vet med that the general public seems to know nothing about help people even more. I get annoyed when family friends offer to hook me up with Fluffy's vet for the summer because that's all they understand a vet's role to be - caring for family pets. At first I tried to explain what I wanted to do, but "Oh.." is the most likely response and I've just kind of given up. In these situations it would be hard not to get defensive, but I would use it as an opportunity to explain to that person just how broad a field vet med is and just how much helping of people we really do - it's just not as obvious as a human doctor saving orphans in Africa.

+1

If anyone has taken an approved medication, thank a veterinarian. If anyone has eaten meat that was inspected, thank a vet. If anyone has been vaccinated, thank a vet. If anyone has received an experimental drug, thank a vet. The list goes on and on. Animal trials need to happen before drugs get tested and approved for humans - the lab animal veterinarian has a huge role in this. If they enjoy modern medicine, thank a vet.

One of the labs I was at had this poster with so many random cool things that came from vet related research. I wish I could find it online!

Because I like animals more than people.

Now, before everyone gets all butt hurt and opinionated, I truly do care about people and their well being, but I've always wanted to practice vet medicine and I know for a fact that if I was some sort of human MD, I wouldn't be as happy.

Just being completely honest. And I'd be willing to bet there are MANY other vets/pre vets out there with the same viewpoint as mine.

Because I like animals more than people.

I met a vet who became a vet for that reason. Then again, working in spay/neuter clinics in a third world country is a lot different than working in a clinic. There is less interaction with people.

One of the reasons why I want to become a vet is because I love the atmosphere, pace, work environment of a veterinary clinic. I cannot picture myself sitting in a little exam room with patients coming or going like at a family practice. I like the surgery, the urgency of some cases, the way the staff interact with each other in a well-run clinic, and not knowing what is going to come in the door next.

I don't honestly care about human health and wellness. It seems like 90% of human health problems result from poor choices, in terms of lifestyle or specific stupidity. For every blameless, undeserved illness you treat, there would be a line behind them, half a mile long, of obese diabetics and unrepentant smokers.

Treating an animal is a pure, good deed. They are essentially blameless for their medical issues, and alleviating their discomfort provides me with about 10,000% more personal satisfaction than any human service ever did.

I don't honestly care about human health and wellness. It seems like 90% of human health problems result from poor choices, in terms of lifestyle or specific stupidity. For every blameless, undeserved illness you treat, there would be a line behind them, half a mile long, of obese diabetics and unrepentant smokers.

I told a pre-med that if I were to be an MD, my biggest fear would be having to operate on a 400 lb person. Imagine cutting through all of that fat! Eww. His response? "Can 400 lb people even be operated on?!" Well, there is gastric bypass...

Thankfully I've never had to face someone saying something like this about my choice to be a vet. Anyone I've ever talked to has been nothing but supportive (at least as far as I know).

I did once face this situation, though, after I posted on Facebook about my desire to travel to Thailand to volunteer at a park that helped elephants who had been previously abused or neglected. One of my "friends" commented and basically said that trying to help elephants wasn't going to do any good and then "why dont you call up world vision and help those who REALLY need help? go to another country and feed a child that hasnt eaten in weeks...or help build a home for a family. its just more bang for your buck....i rather save a life then an elephant...dunno...just me."

Thankfully my boyfriend posted soon after with a really nice quote from Swami Radhanandaji, which helped end the discussion:

"We should believe that all living things are equal. Whether it is an elephant, a cow, a dog, an educated or uneducated person, rich or poor, black or white, beautiful or otherwise. We all are equal. The only difference is the outward appearance of each. It's as if all of you put on a mask, but the mask doesn't make you different. You are still a unique individual. Similarly, this body, mind, and intellect constitute a mask. We must think of everybody and everything as equal in the sense that all beings come from the same source."

I think that is a really nice quote to think about and look back on. It's kind of long for you to recite to any person who ever questions your drive to become a veterinarian, but I think that if you're ever in that situation again you can say something about how you think all life is valuable and you choose to advocate those who can't speak for themselves.

The one I don't like is the "if you don't get into vet school, you can always go to med school, optometry, dentistry, teaching, etc." I get that A LOT. I know they are just saying that I am smart and can do anything, but I don't want to do just anything, I want to be a vet. Never sinks in though.

how about because barns smell better than hospitals..?

Treating an animal is a pure, good deed. They are essentially blameless for their medical issues, and alleviating their discomfort provides me with about 10,000% more personal satisfaction than any human service ever did.

This is perfect. There are so many reasons I'm going into vet med, but this plays a huge part of it.

I'd rather deal with puppy poop over people poop, hands down. Just my $0.02 :D

The one I don't like is the "if you don't get into vet school, you can always go to med school, optometry, dentistry, teaching, etc."

After every previous round of rejections I re-thought why I wanted to pursue my DVM. I looked into other medical professional programs (optometry, podiatry, physician assistant) and while I met all the academic requirements, my heart wasn't in it.

Moody- you said exactly what I was thinking, I just couldn't say it so politly so kept my mouth shut. I work in a hospital that does bariatric surgery. Most of these people ( MOST not all) are lazy and want everything done for them. People come in weghing 500lbs and wonder why their back or knees hurt. Trematode-I have seen over 700lbs on the OR table. Also I can't stand the drug-seekers, and people are unappreciative. I enjoy the patients who are sich and appreciate what you do for them, but they are few and far between. Just my opinion that has been formed from years of working in a hospital.

I think the public assumes vets just play with dogs and cats. I'll echo all the responses above, especially ones having to do with lab medicine. :)

I want to be a vet because you get to serve animals and people. I love them equally. If I didnt like people, I would want to be a vet....I would go work for the internal revenue service.

I could agree with all your responses, but to the OP, those kinds of responses really come from the insecurities of the person making the comment, so there is little you will say that can make a difference.

There are a lot of people who are uncomfortable with the bond others have with animals, mainly because of the lack in their own. I have seen it many times, and unfortunately society condones their thoughts with the "but it is only an animal" justification.

Thank you! It honestly never occurred to me that not being able to appreciate the human-animal bond would make someone insecure, probably because the vast majority of people that I know have great bonds with animals. I wanted to be able to explain how important veterinarians are to the community without seeming defensive or self-righteous or something, but you're right. There is likely nothing I can do to change that person's mind and I shouldn't feel obligated to try.

Thankfully I've never had to face someone saying something like this about my choice to be a vet. Anyone I've ever talked to has been nothing but supportive (at least as far as I know).

I did once face this situation, though, after I posted on Facebook about my desire to travel to Thailand to volunteer at a park that helped elephants who had been previously abused or neglected. One of my "friends" commented and basically said that trying to help elephants wasn't going to do any good and then "why dont you call up world vision and help those who REALLY need help? go to another country and feed a child that hasnt eaten in weeks...or help build a home for a family. its just more bang for your buck....i rather save a life then an elephant...dunno...just me."

Thankfully my boyfriend posted soon after with a really nice quote from Swami Radhanandaji, which helped end the discussion:

"We should believe that all living things are equal. Whether it is an elephant, a cow, a dog, an educated or uneducated person, rich or poor, black or white, beautiful or otherwise. We all are equal. The only difference is the outward appearance of each. It's as if all of you put on a mask, but the mask doesn't make you different. You are still a unique individual. Similarly, this body, mind, and intellect constitute a mask. We must think of everybody and everything as equal in the sense that all beings come from the same source."

I think that is a really nice quote to think about and look back on. It's kind of long for you to recite to any person who ever questions your drive to become a veterinarian, but I think that if you're ever in that situation again you can say something about how you think all life is valuable and you choose to advocate those who can't speak for themselves.

Wow. I'm sorry anyone would put down your desire to volunteer, regardless of if you wanted to help elephants, trees, or people. I've never met you, but I think you're wonderful for wanting to give to that park. And that quote is a great viewpoint to have and I wish more people shared it.

One of the reasons why I want to become a vet is because I love the atmosphere, pace, work environment of a veterinary clinic. I cannot picture myself sitting in a little exam room with patients coming or going like at a family practice. I like the surgery, the urgency of some cases, the way the staff interact with each other in a well-run clinic, and not knowing what is going to come in the door next.

Yeah, I don't think I could do human medicine for this reason. I think a lot of people don't realize that vet med is not human medicine for animals and the work that a veterinarian does day to day is going to be dramatically different from what a human doctor does.

SOV your comment about people not understanding the human animal bond explains perfectly the responses that I have gotten from people. The tech at my orthodontist told me that she basically doesn't think people should have to pay vets for their services when that money could go to things like vaccations or their kids.I understand that people who are strapped for cash need that for their own bills and for their children but honestly why do those people always seem to adopt pets. This woman had two dogs and a cat and was complaining to me about how much she had to pay for her previous dog's kidney failure. I don't know how to say politely to these people/ not care if I offend them when I say, that maybe they shouldn't have any pets if they aren't willing to make financial sacrifices to keep them alive. (Not trying to get into any kind of debate over kidney failure prognosis).

My boyfriend's uncle loves pigs and refuses to eat them. This weekend my boyfriend's great aunt said that her mother got a heart valve replacement from a pig and she asked him if he thought that the pig should live while her mother dies. I have no idea how to respond to these kinds of questions.

My boyfriend's uncle loves pigs and refuses to eat them. This weekend my boyfriend's great aunt said that her mother got a heart valve replacement from a pig and she asked him if he thought that the pig should live while her mother dies. I have no idea how to respond to these kinds of questions.

Mmmmmmm. Boom.

Me being a vegetarian, I'm asked a lot of questions like that...

I suppose I perhaps would respond with if we ate all the pigs, there wouldn't be any to get heart valves from.

Mmmmmmm. Boom.

Me being a vegetarian, I'm asked a lot of questions like that...

I suppose I perhaps would respond with if we ate all the pigs, there wouldn't be any to get heart valves from.

Why would we eat all the pigs? :confused:

Tissue valves do not have the longevity that mechanical valves do. The upside to tissue valves is that coumadin therapy is not usually required, where it is with mechanical valves. With tissue valves, you WILL need to have a redo-sternotomy at some point to replace the valve (again.) Having worked with these patients for 10 years, if I ever had to make this choice it would be mechanical valve all the way. I can deal with coumadin therapy and blood draws to make sure my levels are therapeutic. But knowing I would one day have to undergo open heart surgery again? general anesthesia again? NTM, redo's do not do as well the 2nd time around as they did the first. Their post-op course is typically much more difficult. (they're older, usually with additional co-morbidities, tissues are more friable, etc...etc...)

There's some cannon fodder to throw out the next time you have that converstaion. ;)

Tissue valves do not have the longevity that mechanical valves do. The upside to tissue valves is that coumadin therapy is not usually required, where it is with mechanical valves. With tissue valves, you WILL need to have a redo-sternotomy at some point to replace the valve (again.) Having worked with these patients for 10 years, if I ever had to make this choice it would be mechanical valve all the way. I can deal with coumadin therapy and blood draws to make sure my levels are therapeutic. But knowing I would one day have to undergo open heart surgery again? general anesthesia again? NTM, redo's do not do as well the 2nd time around as they did the first. Their post-op course is typically much more difficult. (they're older, usually with additional co-morbidities, tissues are more friable, etc...etc...)

There's some cannon fodder to throw out the next time you have that converstaion. ;)

I like this. I will just talk them to death about other viable options and then they won't know what my real answer is. Seriously though thank you for the information it is nice to know that there are other options and the benefits to those. I enjoyed reading this.

I've answered that same question with "because I'm a horrible person."

Hahaha I think that would make unecessary probs with my bf's family, but I love this response. I think what I should have said was "Well I've never met your mother or the pig, so how can I pick? Maybe the pig was really sweet and your mother was a total monster. Or maybe the pig threw mud at the other pigs and was a real jerk."

Hahaha I think that would make unecessary probs with my bf's family, but I love this response. I think what I should have said was "Well I've never met your mother or the pig, so how can I pick? Maybe the pig was really sweet and your mother was a total monster. Or maybe the pig threw mud at the other pigs and was a real jerk."

oh I meant the original "why don't you help people" question. But if g-ma sucks, then I guess that works. My grandma's awesome so she can have all the piggy valve transplants she wants IMO. But then I think pigs are num nums...

Veterinarians do so much for people! I went through the thread, and everything I wanted to say has already been said. I have gotten this question a few times, and it depended on the situation if I said anything or not. One of my mom's friends that I don't know very well asked this type of question and I just politely replied that it's been my dream to become a veterinarian since I can remember. I didn't bother starting any discussions. But when people I'm closer with ask "Why animals and not people?", I love to get into it and show them how much veterinarians really affect people's lives, even if they aren't animal lovers.

"Because I get the heebie jeebies when I see other people naked."

:laugh: Hahahaha! Yes! And honestly, that's one of many reasons I don't think I could do human medicine. I regularly palpate animal balls at my current job (checking if they're there and for cryptorchids) but I don't think I could regularly examine people with their pants off.....

Just on the topic of human vs. animal medicine...

Why is it okay to euthanize animals when they're supposedly in pain and suffering and why is it not okay to take someone's life if they're dying from something like cancer and they're asking you to?

Not trying to provoke anyone here...just a question I've gotten that has made me think.

Why is it okay to euthanize animals when they're supposedly in pain and suffering and why is it not okay to take someone's life if they're dying from something like cancer and they're asking you to?

Not trying to provoke anyone here...just a question I've gotten that has made me think.

You may not mean to provoke a debate, but that's what is probably going to happen ;)

But to answer your question, I believe it's because the number of people who are against assisted suicide outnumber the people who are against euthanasia for animals. It's generally agreed upon that animals don't understand why they are in pain and suffering so in some ways it's worse for them when they are sick/injured. It also wasn't that long ago that people would just take an animal out back and shoot it when it was ill..... When you ask about assisted suicide, people's religious beliefs are going to come into play and that always makes things more complicated.

"okay" is a relative term. If you mean "legal," it's because separation of church and state in the USA is a fallacy. If you mean morally or ethically "okay", then don't speak in absolutes.

F people...I'm an evil (soon-to-be) NP, got that covered. I need you all to take care of my critters, love them dearly and have INSANE respect for my family vet. I am never so reminded of the awesomeness of multi-species medical knowledge than when I make a panicked visit to the vet.

For all the noise about NPs being wanna-be physicians, my personal dark shame is that I have serious case of vet-envy.

A real doctor can treat more than one species ;)

"Why dont you help people?" - because people can help themselves and there are also many animals that will require assistance. Helping these animals also help people as you will find that many people love their pets dearly and will do anything to save them. For many old people or childless couples, the pet IS their child, would you do anything less ?

If you cannot answer this question, it shows your lack of understanding of the profession. I would suggest you shadow some vets, both clinical and in research settings. It will show you how vast and wide this career path is and the many good things that can come out of it.

If you cannot answer this question, it shows your lack of understanding of the profession. I would suggest you shadow some vets, both clinical and in research settings. It will show you how vast and wide this career path is and the many good things that can come out of it.

Was this directed at me? Maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. When I said "My mindset is that veterinarians do play an important role in their communities, even if they aren't bandaging human wounds..." I was saying that I understand veterinarians are important for nurturing the human-health bond, performing life saving research, protecting public health, etc. And I have worked in a clinical veterinary setting and with animals doing research so I'm set there, thank you ;)
I was looking for advice on how to answer the "Why don't you help people" question in a way that wouldn't come across as defensive or aggressive, not for the reasons why veterinarians do help people or why it's a worthwhile career.

'Why don't you help people?'

It is an interesting question and if you did want to purely help people then the medical field would seem like a better option. Hence most vets choose the field because they want to help animals.

Most would agree that people are more important than animals. The uses and ownership of animals in various societal roles (food, research, pets) to benefit humans highlight this ranking. Animals of course do need a human voice to protect their abuse and overuse.