Will high 21+ DAT offset Low GPA/Science GPA? Will Masters in Biomed help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Netanel791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I previously applied to dental school last cycle with low cum GPA and low sci GPA and low DAT. I am retaking DAT soon and planning on doing masters in biomed at Barry this summer for two semesters.
Would it matter or help to just retake DAT and not do masters to boost GPA? or would I benefit and really be able to get in with grad courses (even just two semesters)?

Please comment and give me your honest opinions
- if you are in the same situation?
- if you have done it or not?

Members don't see this ad.

Dang. Low everything. So in this case you need to retake DAT and classes to have high everything for a competitive application.

Reactions: 1 user
I previously applied to dental school last cycle with low cum GPA and low sci GPA and low DAT. I am retaking DAT soon and planning on doing masters in biomed at Barry this summer for two semesters.
Would it matter or help to just retake DAT and not do masters to boost GPA? or would I benefit and really be able to get in with grad courses (even just two semesters)?

Actual numbers here? What is your current DAT, GPA?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im retaking DAT in May though.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yes, of course high DAT scores can offset low GPA, contrary to the opinions of others on these forums. It depends on how you can explain your low GPA. Some undergrad programs are simply more rigorous than others. Perhaps you were socio-economically disadvantaged, or you had a difficult personal/family situation.

You will probably need to have a very impressive DAT score to convince the adcoms to actually read your application. Few schools claim to read every application sent to their office, which means that applications with low stats are usually thrown out before they are read. Furthermore, it would help if you have something else that is remarkable about your application, such as significant leadership experience, research, etc., so the adcoms can know that you will have something to offer the school when they take the risk of accepting someone with previously inconsistent/unproven academic ability.

However, if your low grades were due to immaturity or poor study habits, there is little excuse for that. In that case, you might want to consider post-bacc or a master's program. You are in a difficult but surmountable position. I had a 3.2 sGPA and 22 AA/25PA and was accepted to almost every school to which I applied.
Oh I see well unfortunately in my case I didn't study too well and other personal things got in the way of my studies which is why I want to do masters program.
I feel that with masters I'll have a better chance to get in to any school of my choice.
Thanks for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I applied with a low GPA (close to yours) and good DAT (21AA/22TS) and am on two waitlists for the only schools I interviewed at, both post-Dec. I also took my DAT end of July so my app wasn't technically complete until mid-August. I am currently in a one-year master's program and will re-apply this June having completed my master's if the waitlists don't work out. MAYBE if I applied early I would've had better luck, but there's really no way of knowing. I also think/hope I'll have more (cheaper) options if I re-apply.

I think it's definitely worth it to just do everything you can to strengthen your app instead of taking chances. If you get like a 25 on your DAT and apply early June you might get in, but if not you'll end up having to do the master's anyway and spend an extra year applying. My master's program came up at both interviews, and if you do well in your classes I think it can really, really help your chances. It also helps you prepare mentally for dental school, because you can take similar coursework and learn how to study, manage your time, etc.

Even though it's only two semesters, it's a full course load and you end up with a master's degree, so it proves that you can handle professional school.

Good luck!!

Of course!
For future references, don't lie to them about your low grades. Unless you have had some family and/or personal issues, own up to it. Admit your mistakes and explain how you have changed and grew as a person. No one likes a liar but everyone can respect the honesty and humbleness on your part.

Reactions: 3 users
I applied with a low GPA (close to yours) and good DAT (21AA/22TS) and am on two waitlists for the only schools I interviewed at, both post-Dec. I also took my DAT end of July so my app wasn't technically complete until mid-August. I am currently in a one-year master's program and will re-apply this June having completed my master's if the waitlists don't work out. MAYBE if I applied early I would've had better luck, but there's really no way of knowing. I also think/hope I'll have more (cheaper) options if I re-apply.

I think it's definitely worth it to just do everything you can to strengthen your app instead of taking chances. If you get like a 25 on your DAT and apply early June you might get in, but if not you'll end up having to do the master's anyway and spend an extra year applying. My master's program came up at both interviews, and if you do well in your classes I think it can really, really help your chances. It also helps you prepare mentally for dental school, because you can take similar coursework and learn how to study, manage your time, etc.

Even though it's only two semesters, it's a full course load and you end up with a master's degree, so it proves that you can handle professional school.

Good luck!!

Thank you! I'm gonna ace my dat and do masters to boost myself in case I need to

Thank you! I'm gonna ace my dat and do masters to boost myself in case I need to

Would you think just taking two semesters of masters and submitting those grades would be good enough? Or should I do the whole masters program?

Yes, of course high DAT scores can offset low GPA, contrary to the opinions of others on these forums. It depends on how you can explain your low GPA. Some undergrad programs are simply more rigorous than others. Perhaps you were socio-economically disadvantaged, or you had a difficult personal/family situation.

You will probably need to have a very impressive DAT score to convince the adcoms to actually read your application. Few schools claim to read every application sent to their office, which means that applications with low stats are usually thrown out before they are read. Furthermore, it would help if you have something else that is remarkable about your application, such as significant leadership experience, research, etc., so the adcoms can know that you will have something to offer the school when they take the risk of accepting someone with previously inconsistent/unproven academic ability.

However, if your low grades were due to immaturity or poor study habits, there is little excuse for that. In that case, you might want to consider post-bacc or a master's program. You are in a difficult but surmountable position. I had a 3.2 sGPA and 22 AA/25PA and was accepted to almost every school to which I applied.
Dude, I have similar stats and am going in this cycle, what schools did you apply to? Where did you decide to go?

I applied to nova, Lecom and UNE
Got rejected from all three.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to nova, Lecom and UNE
Got rejected from all three.

Sorry, was actually talking to Pre-dent which is why I quoted him.

EDIT: My computer is slow as crap right now, so I may have posted multiple times on accident.

If you don't do a masters your DAT will need to be 23+.

Would you think just taking two semesters of masters and submitting those grades would be good enough? Or should I do the whole masters program?

I think you have to earn the degree for it to make a difference. Otherwise if you say you're in a master's program and don't end up finishing it, that doesn't look good to dental schools. Do the whole program in a year, I'm pretty sure Barry gives you the option to do that.

From what I hear, (and depending on the timeline to matriculation), schools will either require you to finish it or be done with it. If I was in that situation and if time permits, I'd finish it. I mean, you would be almost done with an advanced degree. Might as well lol

You should also apply to more schools than those 3 the next time around (once you raise your GPA and DAT score).

You should also apply to more schools than those 3 the next time around (once you raise your GPA and DAT score).
I only applied to three to save the application but then realized that everything in the next cycle needs to be updated.

From what I hear, (and depending on the timeline to matriculation), schools will either require you to finish it or be done with it. If I was in that situation and if time permits, I'd finish it. I mean, you would be almost done with an advanced degree. Might as well lol
I was planning to take two semesters to raise my gpa and them update my application in December.

I think you have to earn the degree for it to make a difference. Otherwise if you say you're in a master's program and don't end up finishing it, that doesn't look good to dental schools. Do the whole program in a year, I'm pretty sure Barry gives you the option to do that.

Oh ok I see what you mean. I start this summer so I should be done with it by next summer

To offset that, I'd aim for more than a 21+ if you're looking to skip a post-bac/master's.
but would lets say a 22 DAT be enough to get into most schools like tufts or midwestern in chicago or nova or uf?

A DAT score of 21+ simply proves to admissions committees that you have a good grasp of the basic sciences. Whether you are admitted to the schools you listed also depends on other factors (personal statement, extracurricular resume, etc) which determine how well you fit in with the program's mission.
Oh ok I see what you're saying. I'll see how well I ace my DAT and then decide from there. But for now I'm aiming for high DAT and masters.

If I were you, I would not apply this cycle and just start the Barry program. Do it in 1 year (2 semesters ) or 1-1/2 years ( 3 semesters). Doesn't really make a difference...Barry's program is well known. Most schools know about it and it's curriculum. Before anything else to even have a chance, you have to get the numbers. Whether that takes you 2 semesters or 4
At Barry. Numbers mean everything at first glance, then they will out what pros and cons and which will overcome what.

I did the Barry program in 3 semesters, it wasn't easy. But it's very doable. My advice stands,
Start the program
Do well
Take dat
Apply with at-least 2 semesters worth from the very beginning instead of applying now then waiting to update them, by then you're competing with more people for post-December acceptances.

If I were you, I would not apply this cycle and just start the Barry program. Do it in 1 year (2 semesters ) or 1-1/2 years ( 3 semesters). Doesn't really make a difference...Barry's program is well known. Most schools know about it and it's curriculum. Before anything else to even have a chance, you have to get the numbers. Whether that takes you 2 semesters or 4
At Barry. Numbers mean everything at first glance, then they will out what pros and cons and which will overcome what.

I did the Barry program in 3 semesters, it wasn't easy. But it's very doable. My advice stands,
Start the program
Do well
Take dat
Apply with at-least 2 semesters worth from the very beginning instead of applying now then waiting to update them, by then you're competing with more people for post-December acceptances.

Thanks for the advice! did you read my thread or were you solely basing that off me having a similar GPA?

Thanks for the advice! did you read my thread or were you solely basing that off me having a similar GPA?

Oh I actually was replying to the OP since that person stated they planned on doing the Barry program.

Oh I actually was replying to the OP since that person stated they planned on doing the Barry program.

Oh whoops. My bad! If you have a chance, read my thread and let me know what you think. I'd really appreciate it.

My current cum gpa is 3.05 and science gpa 2.98
DAT is 17 but I rushed to take it and didn't practice enough

I was in a similar situation with a low GPA coming out of undergrad. Your GPA is actually a little higher than mine was when I graduated. I knew that I was not very competitive so I took some time and found a master program focused around the biomedical sciences. I was able perform very well in my master program which allowed dental schools to see that I had grown and matured academically when compared to here I was in undergrad. There are a lot of students that find themselves in that situation. If you decide to go the masters route the take the opportunity seriously and perform to the best of your ability and show dental admissions that you have changed since undergrad.

My DAT scores were OK nothing special. Like you, I was aiming for a 21+ in everything, but it didn't happen. I ended up with a TS: 20 AA: 19 (QR held me back) PAT: 21

Out of the 9 or so schools I applied to, I received interviews from 4, and I was accepted to 3. I am currently waitlisted at the fourth program. In my personal experience I'd say that you definitely have a shot at getting into a program. Just stay focused and get your application in as early as possible.

So you'd recommend doing the masters and even submitting new grades when I can update in December?

So you'd recommend doing the masters and even submitting new grades when I can update in December?

I'd definitely recommend a masters if the program has what you're searching for. I was able to take some courses that I did not have a chance to take in undergrad, plus there was a tougher workload to work through per course compared to undergrad. I think that my experience from gradschool will be helpful in dental school.

Some schools prefer that you have at least 2 semesters of masters grades submitted. Some of the people that were applying with me had the same experience where their state school asked them to have multiple semesters and a set graduation date. Also, keep in mind that if you do a masters, you have to come out with 3.6+ in order for it to offset your low undergrad GPA. Masters programs are not easy at all, they require a lot more work than undergrad, so I would recommend taking as much time as you need to complete the program. Don't rush it. You also want to learn what you can, and it will most likely help you with the DAT as well. Even if you have to postpone applying for a year, dental school is not going anywhere. Good luck!

Most importantly Schools want to see you improve your application on all phases, shadowing, community service is KEY, as well as your Personal Statement. I was in a similar position as you, I applied with the same gpa and a 19 aa 22 ts and didn't get in, i reapplied with a 22aa and 22ts and got in, without doing a BMP or masters. I was also still enrolled in classes and improved my application on all phases. So try to focus on everything if you score a 22 and you still have classes to take you don't have to do a masters program.

I already graduated from undergrad last year. In the meantime I've been working and shadowing and studying for the DAT. I'm aiming to get a 22 and I have community service hours already from many different things.