This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zobo135

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here is my current situation. I currently got a 499 on my MCAT (RIP) but I plan on retaking in August and I expect to do significantly better. My plan right now is to apply in June. My question is whether or not medical schools will see me signed up in August to take it again and whether or not they will wait to see my second score. I need clarification so I can decide whether or not to apply in June or wait until I get my second score and risk applying late. Thank you guys.

Members don't see this ad.

They can see that you signed up, but is there a reason you absolutely need to apply this cycle? Since you are saying June, you are aiming for MD, right? If you are planning to retake in August, and let's just say that you are hitting your goal score in your FLs, there's no way you could formulate a smart school list before your score comes out in SEPTEMBER. And then complete secondaries in October which is quite late. I would suggest dedicating all that time instead towards your MCAT so that you have a glowing score to apply with next cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
All schools that you apply to will be able to see that you plan to retake the MCAT in August. Whether they decide to wait to evaluate your application is completely up to them. Some schools will email you and be clear that they will wait, most won't say anything.

I suggest you apply to a throwaway school in June, and add more schools in Sept if your score is where you want it to be. . . if you must apply this cycle that is.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They can see that you signed up, but is there a reason you absolutely need to apply this cycle? Since you are saying June, you are aiming for MD, right? If you are planning to retake in August, and let's just say that you are hitting your goal score in your FLs, there's no way you could formulate a smart school list before your score comes out in SEPTEMBER. And then complete secondaries in October which is quite late. I would suggest dedicating all that time instead towards your MCAT so that you have a glowing score to apply with next cycle.
I am applying MD and certain DO schools but I see what youre saying. I really don't want to take a gap year.

I am applying MD and certain DO schools but I see what youre saying. I really don't want to take a gap year.
I understand the gap year situation. However, you did earn a sub 500 score, and you would need to improve A LOT to be competitive for MD and many DO schools too. Do you feel 110% confident that you will be ready to reach your goal in August, or is there a chance that you may feel rushed because you can't reschedule? Being rushed and doing poorly again, especially if that contributed to your original score, will hurt you. I would personally take the peace of mind of applying with knowing I have the best application possible over scrambling to avoid a gap year.

Reactions: 4 users
I understand the gap year situation. However, you did earn a sub 500 score, and you would need to improve A LOT to be competitive for MD and many DO schools too. Do you feel 110% confident that you will be ready to reach your goal in August, or is there a chance that you may feel rushed because you can't reschedule? Being rushed and doing poorly again, especially if that contributed to your original score, will hurt you. I would personally take the peace of mind of applying with knowing I have the best application possible over scrambling to avoid a gap year.
I really believe I can increase my score significantly based on my understanding of my own abilities. 512+ range

If you're taking in August please save yourself the $5000 and wait for 2020-2021 cycle.

Reactions: 15 users
If you're taking in August please save yourself the $5000 and wait for 2020-2021 cycle.

August is late, but definitely not impossible (esp if secondaries are all in within 2 weeks). Depends on the score and the rest of the app. With that said, I still think OP should wait until the 20-21 cycle. Too much going on with the high stakes retake and putting together the primary.

Reactions: 1 users
I really believe I can increase my score significantly based on my understanding of my own abilities. 512+ range
Look, I don't know you personally. But I also really believe in you, and believe that you can achieve your goals. However, I hope you consider that the stress of applying and just the sheer pressure to improve might be an obstacle to fully demonstrate your abilities. No matter what you decide, I wish you all the best.

Reactions: 1 user
I am 1000% confident I can do significantly better. My original plan when studying fell apart due to too many time commitments with school, volunteering, work, research, and other things going on in my life. I am cutting all these things out this summer so that I can guarantee I do well. I know my capabilities. Even if I decide to take a gap year, I am taking it in August regardless because this is what fits my schedule the best over my senior year. I appreciate your honesty

Look, I don't know you personally. But I also really believe in you, and believe that you can achieve your goals. However, I hope you consider that the stress of applying and just the sheer pressure to improve might be an obstacle to fully demonstrate your abilities. No matter what you decide, I wish you all the best.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Well with that in mind you probably shouldn’t submit your application until you get your new score back. If you do as well as you plan submit the primary and get in the queue for verification and start writing the secondaries . Schools are under no obligation to wait for your retake score. When they see your 499 you might just get rejected. Are you aware that some schools average scores. AMCAS recommends that schools average multiple scores. Some do and some don’t but all of your scores are visible and subject to review by readers.

So there is another aspect to think about (this is coming from 3 years in a row applicant who had below 500 scores, and then increased to 511). Dont forget that a lot of schools have 2 year maximum, - you can only apply for 2 years in your lifetime. I do not know how many schools on your list are like that, but on mine there are a lot. So i actually had to take out great schools off my list for the third year because i was applying prematurely the first 2 years.
Also, in my my list (mostly east coast) none of the schools averaged scores, they took the last score, some - the best score. So definitely find it out. That being said, do you have an option of taking it in July? It takes a month for scores to come in, so if you take it in August, you wont get scores till September, which means that i probably will be almost october 1st when you send them all the secondaries. That is risky. Pushing it to July would be better.
But i do agree with general consensus that you should consider waiting for a year. That being said, we dont know all of your circumstances, so if you HAVE to do it this way, - make the best of it. What i would do is contact each school on your list and ask them two questions:
1) If you select that you have another MCAT score pending, would they wait to consider your application till your scores post?
2) how do they treat multiple MCAT attempts.

But yeah, submit primary early with one "throw away" school, and then add more schools ones your scores post.

So here is my current situation. I currently got a 499 on my MCAT (RIP) but I plan on retaking in August and I expect to do significantly better.

You will not do significantly better unless you do something significantly different this time. Wanting to do better versus doing what it takes to do better is key. If you study the same materials the same way as the first time, you will no doubt see the same result. Make a better plan and be sure it includes at least 1000 passages.

My plan right now is to apply in June. My question is whether or not medical schools will see me signed up in August to take it again and whether or not they will wait to see my second score. I need clarification so I can decide whether or not to apply in June or wait until I get my second score and risk applying late. Thank you guys.

You have already gotten great feedback on this question, so there is no need to pile on. Listen to what the experts are saying.

So here is my current situation. I currently got a 499 on my MCAT (RIP) but I plan on retaking in August and I expect to do significantly better. My plan right now is to apply in June. My question is whether or not medical schools will see me signed up in August to take it again and whether or not they will wait to see my second score. I need clarification so I can decide whether or not to apply in June or wait until I get my second score and risk applying late. Thank you guys.

I don’t think you should be applying this cycle. You first need to fully prepare for this MCAT (not wasting time with AMCAS) and get a competitive score. If, and only if, you get a serious score, then apply next cycle.

I wrote the MCAT at the end of June and received my scores late July. I held off applying primarily for this reason and improved my app with work experience and volunteering experiences during the next year.

Now that I am at the tail-end of my app cycle, I can vouch that it is absolutely worth it to wait.

I wrote the MCAT at the end of June and received my scores late July. I held off applying primarily for this reason and improved my app after receiving my score.

I can vouch that it is absolutely worth it to wait.
I agree . There is a difference though- you RECEIVED the scores in July . This person will TAKE Mcat in August

I agree . There is a difference though- you RECEIVED the scores in July . This person will TAKE Mcat in August
Yeah, definitely a difference, lol.

I was told exactly what gonnif said in this thread when I asked for advice about applying as I took the MCAT. It wasn't what I wanted to hear but I thought it over and bit the bullet.

Schools are under no obligation to wait for another score before making a decision on an application (especially as late as September).
They may well decide based on the information submitted.

What if a school grants an interview despite a low or mediocre MCAT score? How will the new MCAT score be taken into consideration if a post-II decision hasn’t been made yet?

Example: John has an MCAT of 508 and gets an interview invite in July for a certain med school despite being scheduled to retake the MCAT in August. He schedules his interview for early September and the school receives his new score in mid-September, right after his interview. Will the school care to look at his new score?

What if a school grants an interview despite a low or mediocre MCAT score? How will the new MCAT score be taken into consideration if a post-II decision hasn’t been made yet?

Example: John has an MCAT of 508 and gets an interview invite in July for a certain med school despite being scheduled to retake the MCAT in August. He schedules his interview for early September and the school receives his new score in mid-September, right after his interview. Will the school care to look at his new score?

If it’s available by the Adcom meeting at which admissions decisions are made, yes; if not, no. At least, I’m fairly certain that’s how my school does it.

Care? Maybe, but in fact, it will depend on how the software is programmed.

I think your chances at an MD school with a 499 are so low that it is not worth applying.

You probably need at least a 510 or better to rescue this score. Wait until the next cycle and make sure that you crush the test.

I think your chances at an MD school with a 499 are so low that it is not worth applying.

You probably need at least a 510 or better to rescue this score. Wait until the next cycle and make sure that you crush the test.
unless you are URM and apply to HOward, for example. THeir scores dip that low sometimes.