Will transferring to a university in Texas make me more likely to get accepted to med school there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yamhead

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a freshman at George Mason University and I intend to go to Texas for Medical School. My GPA is fluctuating between a 3.9 and a 4.0 and for this post's sake lets assume I'm staying like this until I graduate. Let's also assume I score an average accepted student MCAT score. Will it be hard for me to get to a medical school like in Texas Like Baylor or UTH given I'm from Virginia? Will moving to UT or Texas A&M from now significantly affect my chances?
I don't know if it matters, but I'm currently a Biology major changing to Economics.
I genuinely appreciate your responses, Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

This table here has a lot of relevant data, including the OOS applicant and matriculant rate for Texas schools. Moving to Texas and becoming a Texas resident would help your chances, if you're committed to going to school there.

As to your chances specifically, it's too early to say, as you are currently lacking ECs, an MCAT, and 75% of your coursework. IF you keep a 3.9 GPA with a good sGPA, IF you get an average to good MCAT score, and IF you keep up on extracurriculars, I'd say you'd be in a pretty good place. That is much easier said than done, though. There's a reason there aren't many people with those stats.

Reactions: 1 user
I would say transferring then living there for a year after graduating would be good.

Many states don't count going to school in an area to count towards residency. Staying there after graduating could show that you are committed to living in the state

Members don't see this ad :)
To follow up an DKMA's post, I actually just saw this relevant post on an entirely different thread.

But: getting recognized as a resident of a state ("establishing domicile") means you submit to the laws that define residency in that state. Usually you can't get residency just by going somewhere to be a student. Instate preference and instate tuition are for the kids of parents who have paid state taxes for decades, and for the kids who are likely to stay in the state for residency & practice.

Also: you need admissions to recognize you as a state resident in order to get in-state admissions preference, which is triggered by the home state you list in AMCAS and challenged by admissions' eyeballs looking at whether you ever did anything in the state, and you then need to be a state resident as demonstrated on the pile of paper (licenses, registrations, leases, pay stubs, taxes) you submit to the school after you're accepted to get instate tuition. Two separate processes.

Pick a public med school (such as Wayne State in MI) and dig into their website if the issue is of interest.

Best of luck to you.

It seems to be very hard for OOS residents to get into a Texas school. They have a law(?) that mandates at least 90 percent of each school be from Texas. Not sure if that includes Baylor but you need to set your sites far wider than Texas.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Some of my friends from out of state need to buy property (house, condo) and have it for a year to be considered in-state and get in-state tuition. So if you do transfer to a Texas school and live in a dorm or apartment, it won't count when it comes to getting residency in Texas. Or like others have said, you can work in Texas for a year too.