This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I read through the thread, but did not find direct answers to the following questions. I'm sorry if these have already been addressed!

1. I never wear makeup, ever. Should I learn how to apply it (even just mascara or something) for interviews?
2. Are sleeveless tops okay?
3. Does the top need to be tucked in?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I read through the thread, but did not find direct answers to the following questions. I'm sorry if these have already been addressed!

1. I never wear makeup, ever. Should I learn how to apply it (even just mascara or something) for interviews?
2. Are sleeveless tops okay?
3. Does the top need to be tucked in?
1. If you're not comfortable with makeup, I think you are best off not wearing any. You want to feel comfortable in your own skin.
2. Sleeveless tops should be fine - you are going to be wearing the blazer for most of the day (esp during the interviews).
3. I think that depends on the shirt, but make sure that the shirt does not extend past the jacket in the back.

Reactions: 1 users
1. If you're not comfortable with makeup, I think you are best off not wearing any. You want to feel comfortable in your own skin.
2. Sleeveless tops should be fine - you are going to be wearing the blazer for most of the day (esp during the interviews).
3. I think that depends on the shirt, but make sure that the shirt does not extend past the jacket in the back.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I went shopping today and I found this to be not uncomfortable Caroline Leather Loafer | Michael Kors Would it work? Otherwise I think I will hit nordstrom when I head back to the states. Shoe shopping is truly the worst.
Suit is in this style. CHARCOAL SUIT

This came up elsewhere, but I noticed that MD/PhD interviews are 2 days long for some schools. For those, is it necessary to have a 2nd outfit? I have a nice navy suit that I've worn for shadowing and other things but the pants are ankle pants RIP.

You do not need a second day suit (and please dont spend a lot of money on a second day suit)! Literally no one I met in 10+ interviews had two suits. Just change your blouse and youll be fine.
Some 2 day interviews have a formal day and a "business casual" day, so you can bring a less formal outfit for that if you like but you dont have to ,

Any recommendations for stores/brands that sell good, “no-iron” button downs? I have a nice (but unfortunately stained) one from banana republic from a couple of years ago, but the ones they carry now aren’t as thick a material and seem to wrinkle pretty easily.

Thanks!

Any recommendations for stores/brands that sell good, “no-iron” button downs? I have a nice (but unfortunately stained) one from banana republic from a couple of years ago, but I the ones they carry now aren’t as thick a material and seem to wrinkle pretty easily.

Thanks!
no-iron shirts from Eddie Bauer are my favorites, stay crisp-looking. They are straight collar, not button-down

Last edited:
Any recommendations for stores/brands that sell good, “no-iron” button downs? I have a nice (but unfortunately stained) one from banana republic from a couple of years ago, but the ones they carry now aren’t as thick a material and seem to wrinkle pretty easily.

Thanks!
Button-down collars are not business professional...
Button front shirts work for men because the tie holds the front of the shirt in place.
On women, the collar (and the whole front of the shirt) has a tendency to become lopsided and develop ...gaps.
I can't count how many times I have spent most of an interview with half a bra cup looking at me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
What’s the consensus on pointed heels? I’m eyeing 2-3 inch pointed “stilettos” but I read in 10+ year old thread that it might be a no no. I’m attaching a picture of a pair that I’m thinking of buying. I wear 4 inch heels often so walking in them won’t be an issue (and I’ll prob bring flats for the tour).

Attachments

• EF9AACB1-62A1-4906-80AB-6B4F3501169B.png
    EF9AACB1-62A1-4906-80AB-6B4F3501169B.png
    191.6 KB · Views: 163
  • FD686D5F-4A9C-47F1-B0E2-0053DB90D787.png
    FD686D5F-4A9C-47F1-B0E2-0053DB90D787.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 239A9BF7-2F48-42F2-A1D8-2300B6E2E492.png
    239A9BF7-2F48-42F2-A1D8-2300B6E2E492.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 149
What’s the consensus on pointed heels? I’m eyeing 2-3 inch pointed “stilettos” but I read in 10+ year old thread that it might be a no no. I’m attaching a picture of a pair that I’m thinking of buying. I wear 4 inch heels often so walking in them won’t be an issue (and I’ll prob bring flats for the tour).
I would avoid the stiletto look (even though the hell isn't that high).

Those are classic and if you are used to walking in heels go for it.

There’s a great sale at Express right now, FYI! Today and tomorrow, $100 off a $250 purchase on the app if you use the promo code 6118. I got a suit and a shirt for less than $200. Totally lucked into noticing the sale, so I figured I’d share!

Last edited:
Would you wear a sorority pin to a job interview? Personally I wouldn't, but I went to college overseas so I don't really understand the whole sorority/fraternity thing anyway

Members don't see this ad :)
They always tell us that we should wear our pins for stuff like job interviews but I’ve always thought that seemed weird. i probs won’t end up wearing it
I think that's a good call. Seems like they might be trying to promote themselves a bit if they want you to wear the pin everywhere, but that's just my outside perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
They always tell us that we should wear our pins for stuff like job interviews but I’ve always thought that seemed weird. i probs won’t end up wearing it
I wore mine. It wasnt really brought up but I was involved a lot so my activities related to sorority were brought up. I saw few others who did as well. And I have the pin and guard.

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

Those are your basic classic business pumps - not stilettos. A really high heel is one of the hallmarks of stilettos.

It's also important to note that a 4" heel on a size 9 pump looks very different from a 4" heel on a size 5 pump. Entirely different proportions.

The pump shown in the original question is about as high/sexy as you'd want to go, but not over the line into inappropriate.

The pump shown below is over the line and would probably be considered a stiletto.

shopping

Reactions: 5 users
Those are your basic classic business pumps - not stilettos. A really high heel is one of the hallmarks of stilettos.

It's also important to note that a 4" heel on a size 9 pump looks very different from a 4" heel on a size 5 pump. Entirely different proportions.

The pump shown in the original question is about as high/sexy as you'd want to go, but not over the line into inappropriate.

The pump shown below is over the line and would probably be considered a stiletto.

shopping
Thank you for the clarification! I ordered a pair from naturalizer and they don’t seem high at all in person.

6AC55FC1-7042-4908-857D-A68EFC7CC3C4.jpeg
How do we feel about this hairstyle? I’ve read the advice that French braids are fine (nixing that for me, as they quickly start fraying and I find myself messing with it), and that half-up half-down is fine, but I was thinking this braid might be a way to show a little personality— I love wearing my hair like this when I dress up, and I get compliments. I was just wondering if it might come off as too youthful or not professional enough. That’s about as long as my hair is, just to the bottom of my shoulder blades, and my interview outfit will be conservative/safe otherwise.

View attachment 240301 How do we feel about this hairstyle? I’ve read the advice that French braids are fine (nixing that for me, as they quickly start fraying and I find myself messing with it), and that half-up half-down is fine, but I was thinking this braid might be a way to show a little personality— I love wearing my hair like this when I dress up, and I get compliments. I was just wondering if it might come off as too youthful or not professional enough. That’s about as long as my hair is, just to the bottom of my shoulder blades, and my interview outfit will be conservative/safe otherwise.
I think it looks okay, but I wouldn't do it. The goal of the interview is to show your personality through your responses, not your fashion choices.

View attachment 240301 How do we feel about this hairstyle? I’ve read the advice that French braids are fine (nixing that for me, as they quickly start fraying and I find myself messing with it), and that half-up half-down is fine, but I was thinking this braid might be a way to show a little personality— I love wearing my hair like this when I dress up, and I get compliments. I was just wondering if it might come off as too youthful or not professional enough. That’s about as long as my hair is, just to the bottom of my shoulder blades, and my interview outfit will be conservative/safe otherwise.

That hairstyle meets the requirements of being 'fuss-free' during the day and keeping your hair out of your face. If you can reliably do this style on your worst hair days, then it's a winner. (It's not so 'stylish' that it makes you look like a 'non-serious' fashionista.)

Let’s talk purses. What is an appropriate size purse to bring? I want to bring the following but not sure if it’s too big:

OAD Carryall Tote | 15% off 1st app order use code: 15FORYOU

The style of that tote is appropriate (plain, simple) but the size may or may not be. A tote should not be big enough to double as a beach bag, but rather just big enough to put a pad-folio in. Also if it's really $450, you should not need to spend nearly that much to get something nice.

Also, don't assume you need a tote as opposed to a simple shoulder bag. You'll want to have at least one hand free for handshakes, so probably not a clutch, and your college backpack is much too casual. But a shoulder bag and padfolio is fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Any opinions/experience with Fitbits at interviews? I have one of the very basic (cheap) black ones. My instinct is to take it off, but if I can get in some steps from the tour without appearing unprofessional then I'd do it :rolleyes:

Any opinions/experience with Fitbits at interviews? I have one of the very basic (cheap) black ones. My instinct is to take it off, but if I can get in some steps from the tour without appearing unprofessional then I'd do it :rolleyes:
I took mine off and put it in a pocket in my purse. I still got most of the steps that way :p

I also have a fit bit and I think you could get away with wearing it... Unless you roll your sleeve up no one will see if under your suit

To clarify, I don't necessarily think a fitbit is inappropriate, I just know that if I have it on I tend to mess with it when I'm stressed without even thinking about it, so I just took it off so I had one less thing to worry about!

What is appropriate shoe color for a navy suit with a blouse that is white and very thin dark blue stripes. I prefer to go nude, but is that considered not professional enough?

@gyngyn @DokterMom

So glad this thread exists.

A few questions:

1. I bleached the tips of my hair about a year ago. My hair now fades from black to a light brown, kind of like in the image below (not my picture), but much shorter. The ombre lasts about 3-4 inches from the tips. Do I need to get a haircut to remove most of the brown parts, or can I get away with pinning it back/up with a clip? I saw that unnatural hair colors will not fly, and my natural hair color is black.
51Mj-bG7TaL.jpg

2. I saw people ask in previous posts, but didn't find a concrete answer: are maroon blouses okay, provided the style is fine?

3. I also saw that pendants are generally frowned upon and wanted to get confirmation if I should remove my necklace I normally wear. It looks exactly like the image below:
1751403_l.jpg

So glad this thread exists.

A few questions:

1. I bleached the tips of my hair about a year ago. My hair now fades from black to a light brown, kind of like in the image below (not my picture), but much shorter. The ombre lasts about 3-4 inches from the tips. Do I need to get a haircut to remove most of the brown parts, or can I get away with pinning it back/up with a clip? I saw that unnatural hair colors will not fly, and my natural hair color is black.
51Mj-bG7TaL.jpg

2. I saw people ask in previous posts, but didn't find a concrete answer: are maroon blouses okay, provided the style is fine?

3. I also saw that pendants are generally frowned upon and wanted to get confirmation if I should remove my necklace I normally wear. It looks exactly like the image below:
1751403_l.jpg
1. It's always a safer bet to go with the natural color of your hair.
2. Any color shell is acceptable but lighter colors provide more contrast with a dark suit.
3. Pendants draw the eye downward...

Is it alright to wear black tights with a charcoal gray dress suit with black heels? I normally wear just regular pantyhose with the suit, but I'll be interviewing in the Midwest in November so I was hoping for some extra warmth. (Sorry if this has been answered before!)

Thoughts on black suit with black blouse vs white blouse?

Very severe. Actually, either would be. What color is best on you? Because almost anything can work well with black and still qualify as professional. A pastel, mid-tone or jewel-tone would all be very nice.

Is it alright to wear black tights with a charcoal gray dress suit with black heels? I normally wear just regular pantyhose with the suit, but I'll be interviewing in the Midwest in November so I was hoping for some extra warmth. (Sorry if this has been answered before!)

You'll be indoors almost all the time, so pantyhose are best.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it appropriate to wear my class ring? It's gold and is a flat oval shape that's about the size of a fingernail. It doesn't have any stones or anything in it, just an engraved logo. I wear it almost everyday. Also, is a French manicure fine?

Is it appropriate to wear my class ring? It's gold and is a flat oval shape that's about the size of a fingernail. It doesn't have any stones or anything in it, just an engraved logo. I wear it almost everyday. Also, is a French manicure fine?

Neither are problematic

I've got an annoying nail-biting habit. I know it's disgusting and it makes my nails look terrible. It goes along with several other compulsive grooming habits I have such as picking scabs, blackheads, and the like. I can't help myself, even when it's embarrassing and inappropriate. It gets worse when I am nervous (such as an interview situation). I've tried extensively to stop the habit, but have had no success.

The longest I've managed to go without biting them is 1 or 2 months while I had press on nails glued to my fingers. I had a short natural french style that looked so much better than my normal ragged and bloody fingers. The problem with these nails is they tend to come off easily and I developed a habit of peeling them all off once one showed signs of lifting. The last thing I want is to be waving around my half-manicured/half-ragged fingers on interview day.

Is it acceptable to have a gel manicure in an appropriate length/design? I'm not even sure if my nail bed is long enough to do this, but they'll stay on longer than glue-ons. I know I'll be fidgeting somehow on interview day, and my nails are usually the first to go in these situations.

Alternatively, does anyone have any less obnoxious compulsion management strategies to share? I've mostly just accepted it as part of who I am at this point, but maybe I should give quitting one last shot.

I've got an annoying nail-biting habit. I know it's disgusting and it makes my nails look terrible. It goes along with several other compulsive grooming habits I have such as picking scabs, blackheads, and the like. I can't help myself, even when it's embarrassing and inappropriate. It gets worse when I am nervous (such as an interview situation). I've tried extensively to stop the habit, but have had no success.

The longest I've managed to go without biting them is 1 or 2 months while I had press on nails glued to my fingers. I had a short natural french style that looked so much better than my normal ragged and bloody fingers. The problem with these nails is they tend to come off easily and I developed a habit of peeling them all off once one showed signs of lifting. The last thing I want is to be waving around my half-manicured/half-ragged fingers on interview day.

Is it acceptable to have a gel manicure in an appropriate length/design? I'm not even sure if my nail bed is long enough to do this, but they'll stay on longer than glue-ons. I know I'll be fidgeting somehow on interview day, and my nails are usually the first to go in these situations.

Alternatively, does anyone have any less obnoxious compulsion management strategies to share? I've mostly just accepted it as part of who I am at this point, but maybe I should give quitting one last shot.

I bit my nails compulsively until I was 22. The only thing that worked for me was painting my nails regularly. I hated the feeling of chewing on polish, and eventually, the aversion stuck and I stopped. They even make bitter-tasting nail polish that you could try!

I always did gel french manicures for interviews on the natural nails. I'm less inclined to mess up a manicure by nail biting (and I tear/pick/bite my nails too)

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

A gel extension would work. Today I got a gel extension on one of my fingers that’s missing a nail (not from nail biting but an accident) and I was shocked how natural it looked.

You should consider anti nail biting polish; it tastes pretty disgusting. It worked on my kids.

u9AJky5.png
Are these loafers acceptable? They're my every day work shoe. I'd give them a good lick and shine, but they're definitely broken in. I hate heels and it's obvious that I don't know how to walk in them. I have the grace of a small elephant in heels. In these shoes, I walk confidently.
F36f4bo

Last edited:
A gel extension would work. Today I got a gel extension on one of my fingers that’s missing a nail (not from nail biting but an accident) and I was shocked how natural it looked.

You should consider anti nail biting polish; it tastes pretty disgusting. It worked on my kids.

Thanks for the suggestion! My problem with butter polish is that I end up picking at the cuticles/chipping away the polish until it's back to square one. Maybe I should make a better effort this time since there's a lot riding on my first impression

u9AJky5.png
Are these loafers acceptable? They're my every day work shoe. I'd give them a good lick and shine, but they're definitely broken in. I hate heels and it's obvious that I don't know how to walk in them. I have the grace of a small elephant in heels. In these shoes, I walk confidently.
F36f4bo
Where are these from? They’re cute!

It's a Canadian store called Little Burgundy

On the loafers with the funny pants -- No.
On the funny pants -- HE LL NO!