This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What is the dress code for dinner with the current students? Because of complicated reasons I won’t be travelling from home to one of my interviews so I don’t have many clothes available to me besides my interview suit.
I also don’t have a coat proper, but a CK jacket. Should I buy a coat?
I don't understand. Can you send any pics?

Members don't see this ad.

For dinner with students, not part of the official interview day, business casual is OK. That means no jeans, slacks preferably although some sport corduroy or whatever, and an appropriate top.

For men that is often a polo shirt, or even better, a button up. Some guys even do a tie, with or without sport jacket that is often removed. I don't think a tie is necessary, but I haven't seen it as a detriment, even at a bar gathering.

I see a lot of women wear tops that I think are totally inappropriate. The top should be something you could reasonably wear in clinic in terms of its cut. So no spaghetti straps, and I tell women not to do sleeveless because they often don't pick the right sort if you were to even go in that direction. In the cold months it makes zero sense. No cleavage, no bra showing. If it looks like you could wear it to a club or out for a date dinner with drinks, it probably isn't conservative enough.

For my residency dinners, I wore slacks (actually the ones that went with my secondary suit, so not the same color as interview day) without the jacket, and a nice silk blouse in the oxford style (button up) in a jewel tone. The look of it and its silk made it not quite what you would wear for clinic, it was pretty feminine, but the cut was very conservative in terms of skin showing or cleavage. It was also a secondary shirt for my secondary suit if I had to go in that direction. I was definitely more dressed down than a lot of folks on some dinners, but not in a bad way. It's usually better to be slightly overdressed than underdressed. It is hard to go wrong with well fitting slacks and a button shirt, for anyone.

Depending on your slacks for your suit, you could just wear that and then a different yet appropriate top that is not your interview top. As far as coat, I'm not sure what you mean. A coat to wear and then take off like any coat you wear to be warm, or a suit jacket? Some jackets you could wear inside.

The coat you wear for warmth and take off when you get inside, doesn't have to be all that fancy as long as it isn't crappy or ridiculous. I often wore a winter down puffy coat. Not the sort of thing I would sport during dinner, but fine for arriving and taking off and putting on the back of your chair or hanging up.

Heck, for interview day I wore such a coat when I was going in from snow to inside. It wasn't exactly a classy wool trench that matched, but that's OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more likely you need to source a different top, than that you need to buy new slacks, or a new coat.
Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes, it’s a puffy jacket for warmth because it gets pretty cold where I am from.
For the latter, i am wearing a skirt suit, so no slacks :( I have a suit with ankle pants that I wear when shadowing etc. but I didn’t bring it with me. I’m going shopping today, so would you say a pair of slacks and maybe an oxford shirt or nice blouse would be good buys?

Reactions: 1 user
What is the dress code for dinner with the current students? Because of complicated reasons I won’t be travelling from home to one of my interviews so I don’t have many clothes available to me besides my interview suit.
I also don’t have a coat proper, but a CK jacket. Should I buy a coat?

I’ve been to a few pre interview dinners and they have all been pretty causal. Most women were in dark jeans and a nice blouse, a few in a dress/skirt or slacks. Flats or sandals in warmer climates, boots on the east coast. I’ve worn black or dark blue jeans to each of mine with a nice top and cardigan, and did not look underdressed. Although in each of my emails from student ambassadors they have stressed that it is a casual gathering. I wouldn’t worry about your coat. You take it off when you get indoors

LadyGlen most of this is not directed at you, just a rant about clothing.

I think dark jeans could be fine. Second the top and cardigan look, that was my secondary set for casual interview events (when you do 15 interviews in 3 weeks, and don't make it home, you tend to have a backup suit and a backup casual outfit).

If I were going to a restaurant, I wore the slacks. If this was held at a bar, I might do the dark jeans and cardigan. Scratch that, if it was a pub. A classy bar not so much, I tended towards slacks again. I would actually look up the venue we were to be at, and use that to guide my outfit.

I would discourage sandals, as it is not business casual and does not really work for most places in fall/winter/spring. Even if it makes sense in AZ for example, I still wouldn't. Many women do heels for the interview, which is totally appropriate. However, at no time including casual dinner, do I think such heels should look like super tall stiletto-esque heels appropriate for the club or a professional dominatrix's foot fetish gallery section.

Look smart. Don't look like a student. Look like a future professional. The image I try to project in such a setting, is the one I would want a patient to see had they run into me at that bar, or the program director of an illustrious and conservative East Coast program (this could happen, BTW). The image of a physician in their off-time is not the same as being just another student in jeans. Then again, casual me not pretending to be Doctor Casual Me, wears daisy dukes in the right weather, and #cleavageatalltimes

Get used to dressing like a classy grown up. I get that a lot of casual-ness has crept in, and you'll be with med students. Resist the urge. People feel like posers, imposter syndrome, self conscious about dressing up and losing the jeans. Get over it.

Thank you so much for your feedback! Yes, it’s a puffy jacket for warmth because it gets pretty cold where I am from.
For the latter, i am wearing a skirt suit, so no slacks :( I have a suit with ankle pants that I wear when shadowing etc. but I didn’t bring it with me. I’m going shopping today, so would you say a pair of slacks and maybe an oxford shirt or nice blouse would be good buys?
Slacks are ALWAYS a good buy in this line of work. They don't have to be interview quality, but something flattering and appropriate for clinic is perfect.

I've worn a nice fitting pair of slacks for the following:
Shadowing
Clinic
Volunteering
Any hospital or med student event
Dates
Bars
Funerals
Weddings
Court

You name it. Already have such a pair of slacks? Get another pair in another style or color. Because as you'll see, having 2 pairs to alternate on 2 days is extremely useful.

Nice blouse or oxford shirt, also a good purchase.

You don't have to break the bank.

3 slacks and 5-7 tops, bonus if you can do a lot of mix/matching among them, is what you'll want when you start clinicals anyway, or really for any office job that wants business casual. Some things you can find at Goodwill, since being a poor student needing to dress as a physician can be financially challenging.

I saved money on socks by buying black athletic calf/knee high. I swear this was sufficient. I splurged on Jeffries compression stockings in the highest OTC compression. Vascular lectures on venous insufficiency might convince you too.

Having 5-7 different colored oxfords in my closet, makes getting ready in the morning of the highest simplicity. Put on pair of slacks. Put on camisole. Throw on oxford in color that goes with slacks. Put on black socks. For vanity, put on necklace/earrings. Maybe undereye concealer, blush, and neutral lipstick as a finishing touch to not look like you should be a patient, rather than treating them. Out the door.

I know some docs that do the whole nines. Kudos to you. I need the time to sleep and eat breakfast.

That doesn't mean there aren't times I do more with myself in the morning before work.

I'm going to be wearing a dark gray suit with a nice Oxford shirt.
I want to wear these shoes with it to add something that's not so funeral procession-y.
Harlow Pump (65mm)

The IRL color of the shoes is more mild than it looks in the photos and they look really nice with the suit... do you think it'd be too much?

Reactions: 1 users
I want to wear these shoes with it to add something that's not so funeral procession-y.
Harlow Pump (65mm)

The IRL color of the shoes is more mild than it looks in the photos and they look really nice with the suit... do you think it'd be too much?
I think you are better off with black but maybe my age is showing.

I hate the idea of that color of shoes, even if less bright, with the suit you describe

so far I like what you plan to wear otherwise, by description

In general I've noticed that blonde gals look better with gray suit while dark haired gal better with black. I recommend heels for interview. Women tend to assume better posture wearing heels and thus appear to be more confident.

Check out Banana Republic for heels. Quality leather, as comfortable as heels can be. Elegant and classic design yet only cost $50-60 depends on the discount ongoing. Used them for med school interview and now for residency interview. Tried and true.

Last edited:
Harlow Pump (65mm)

There will most likely be people who come with more interesting stories and backgrounds than you are on your interview day, you don't need your shoes to make it even harder for your personality and your story to stand out. Your foot wear should be the least interesting things about you while interviewing, as with your handbags. If you like, buy the red pump for med school prom once you are admitted, for now, keep it simple. If your suit is black, wear black footwear, if you suit is grey or navy, you will look very elegant in shoes that match the color of your hair.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Harlow Pump (65mm)

IMO, a strong candidate can pull it off. A middling candidate should play it safe.

Harlow Pump (65mm)

I am obviously late to this game, but I'm still going to give you my two cents :)

I don't know if I would go with with red suede--I think the consensus was that suede is a little casual for an interview (the last time I was here that was the wisdom), and that combined with the color which may be right on the edge of being too bright...it's a risk.
With that said, I didn't want to wear black shoes either, and I found some deeper burgundy ones (non-suede ;) ) with a lower heel to wear for my interviews last year.

Hello all,
I have a black suit and a white shirt. Is it ok to wear white flats or no?
white flats sound terrible

just get black ones

I was at Walmart yesterday, and I saw like pairs and pairs of shoes for under $20 that I would say are 90% better than the bad choices I see on interviews. There's no excuse not to have a decent black shoe that matches your suit.

Reactions: 2 users
I am obviously late to this game, but I'm still going to give you my two cents :)

I don't know if I would go with with red suede--I think the consensus was that suede is a little casual for an interview (the last time I was here that was the wisdom), and that combined with the color which may be right on the edge of being too bright...it's a risk.
With that said, I didn't want to wear black shoes either, and I found some deeper burgundy ones (non-suede ;) ) with a lower heel to wear for my interviews last year.

Great pumps @Eleithyia
Would be perfectly suitable for any skirt / dress / pants-suit that isn't black. And inexpensive to boot!

I would also add that you should be comfortable walking in heels if you're going to wear them. Unfortunately, I've seen too many fellow interviewees tottering around on heels during the tour, and it looks a little ridiculous :(

I personally wore leather flats because I'm not confident of my ability to walk in heels for prolonged periods of time and haven't had any issues.

it's rare for me to say too bright, and I would actually say that here

I think the fabric and cut is lovely though

actually, I'm with DokMom

it could be OK - I just adjusted a setting on my screen and it looks a little different

up to you really

Pearls don't have to be small and white...

I have some pearls I'd like to wear that are about this size (pic attached). Would this be an appropriate size to wear for interviews or should I go for a smaller pearl chain? Just don't want to draw too much attention to my necklace. Also, is it okay if the pearls are a light lavender/pink color? This matches with my blouse

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.24.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.24.54 PM.png
    908.3 KB · Views: 115
I have some pearls I'd like to wear that are about this size (pic attached). Would this be an appropriate size to wear for interviews or should I go for a smaller pearl chain? Just don't want to draw too much attention to my necklace. Also, is it okay if the pearls are a light lavender/pink color? This matches with my blouse
This size in pink is lovely.

This size in pink is lovely.

Okay thank you! Also, would this medium-sized, navy purse be good for interviews? I wanted something that fit my folder :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.30.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.30.19 PM.png
    405.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.30.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.30.06 PM.png
    845.3 KB · Views: 89
@gyngyn lastly, would carrying a Ralph Lauren bag create a negative impression of me in any way?

A not overlarge bag without obvious logos is fine.
Do you really need a tote?

Is that bag too big?
I was looking at interview pictures on google and they had bigger bags, so I thought we needed something like that to fit all our papers and portfolio

...it's a tote.

Hmm...I'm confused what sort of purses/bags we should bring to interviews now. Do you know a good place I can look for example pictures? All of the google ones I'm searching seem to also be totes or larger purses. I've attached some of them here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.43.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.43.53 PM.png
    530.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.43.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.43.59 PM.png
    864.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.44.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-20 at 8.44.38 PM.png
    582.2 KB · Views: 135
Hmm...I'm confused what sort of purses/bags we should bring to interviews now. Do you know a good place I can look for example pictures? All of the google ones I'm searching seem to also be totes or larger purses. I've attached some of them here

I’ve attended 6 interviews so far and seen a wide range of purses from small handbags to totes. At most schools you’ll have a room where you can leave your stuff and even though I brought a purse with me, I didn’t carry it around with me.

I used the following purse:

Tory Burch Block-t Tote

Is that bag too big?
I was looking at interview pictures on google and they had bigger bags, so I thought we needed something like that to fit all our papers and portfolio
You don't need papers or a portfolio...

Is this blouse OK? I am 5' 1" and I find v-neck blouses elongate me and make me look taller. I have also found that oxford blouses seem too bulky on my short frame. BTW- I wear an extra-small and the neck opening is smaller (and about 1 1/2" higher) than what is shown on the model. Also of note is that I plan to have a seamstress add a hidden button about 1" from the top of the "V", so end result would be a blouse that is about 2" higher than in the pic. I am not busty.Shirt does not gape open when bending over.
Blush Blouse.jpg

I love the color and I think it should be fine as long as there is no cleavage!

Finishing up the interview season I can say 99% of the women I met were very appropriately dressed. There are only two girls from 9 interviews who stood out to me.. The first girl had a HUGE run in her stockings all day long. Ladies -- if you wear a skirt with stockings it looks great but bring an extra pair of stockings! The second girl had winged eyeliner and false eyelashes + a full face of makeup. Please keep your makeup relatively "natural" looking! Mascara? Yes! Falsies? No! Good luck to everyone! We're all killing it!

Is this blouse OK? I am 5' 1" and I find v-neck blouses elongate me and make me look taller. I have also found that oxford blouses seem too bulky on my short frame. BTW- I wear an extra-small and the neck opening is smaller (and about 1 1/2" higher) than what is shown on the model. Also of note is that I plan to have a seamstress add a hidden button about 1" from the top of the "V", so end result would be a blouse that is about 2" higher than in the pic. I am not busty.Shirt does not gape open when bending over.
View attachment 248182
The color is fine. The neckline is perilously close to plunging. If the tailor can make it a higher "V," it's probably fine.

Shoe shopping tomorrow. I have narrow heels and have a hard time finding closed pumps that don't slip. Sling backs often fit better - would low heeled sling back pumps be OK for interviews?

Shoe shopping tomorrow. I have narrow heels and have a hard time finding closed pumps that don't slip. Sling backs often fit better - would low heeled sling back pumps be OK for interviews?

There are little 'stick-ons' you can get that fit inside the backs of your shoes to keep them from slipping. Try those first, but slingbacks are OK as Plan B.

On the V-neck blouse -- as a fellow shorty, I get it! And so long as you're not showing cleavage, you'll be OK. If needed, a fitted knit camisole can provide a safety layer in the event you have to bend forward.

Reactions: 3 users
There are little 'stick-ons' you can get that fit inside the backs of your shoes to keep them from slipping. Try those first, but slingbacks are OK as Plan B.
Thanks. I've tried the sticky things before without much success. However, by some miracle I found a pair of Rockport pumps on clearance in my size and I think they actually fit - I can walk in them comfortably and don't walk out of them. They are suede, which is not ideal, but I bought a can of waterproofing spray and will hope for the best. After trying on many, many pairs of shoes, I am just grateful for a pair that fits.

Just discovered that my interview suit doesn't fit - my big chest has gotten even bigger somehow, and the jacket looks terrible. I am also very short, so I am thinking dress suit. I do have a sheath dress and matching jacket that fit. The fabric is black and textured but formal and not shiny. The jacket has a round neck and is collarless, thus more flattering than with lapels given my bust. The overall impression is conservative. I am an older, non-traditional applicant, and though I can pass for 30s, I am already not going to look like everyone else. Will this do?

Just discovered that my interview suit doesn't fit - my big chest has gotten even bigger somehow, and the jacket looks terrible. I am also very short, so I am thinking dress suit. I do have a sheath dress and matching jacket that fit. The fabric is black and textured but formal and not shiny. The jacket has a round neck and is collarless, thus more flattering than with lapels given my bust. The overall impression is conservative. I am an older, non-traditional applicant, and though I can pass for 30s, I am already not going to look like everyone else. Will this do?
I wore a jacket suit all season because it looked better with my chest. So long as you are professional looking, you will be fine.

As long as it is a true suit (not separates), formal fabric and conservative color, I think you're fine. I love collarless jackets and think your suit sounds fine.

Good Lord...the woman on the left in the last picture looks like she's packing for a weekend trip!

We have a thing against "totes". They are by definition too casual and you really don't need something large enough to carry a beach towel.

The first picture with the boxy bag is just right.

Reactions: 3 users

Yes, a dress suit (dress and same-fabric jacket) is perfectly acceptable and a great way to camouflage figure flaws as well as downplay distractingly-too-perfect figures. :D

This might already be in this thread but I can't find it. Does anyone have tips for plus size clothing brands? I would prefer a pant suit. I'm a size 14 and on a budget. I work at a hospital and basically live in scrubs so I haven't done professional clothing in a while. I'm pretty nervous about picking an appropriate outfit!

This might already be in this thread but I can't find it. Does anyone have tips for plus size clothing brands? I would prefer a pant suit. I'm a size 14 and on a budget. I work at a hospital and basically live in scrubs so I haven't done professional clothing in a while. I'm pretty nervous about picking an appropriate outfit!

I got my suit at Macy’s - they have a pretty good selection of plus size suits, most reasonably-ish priced. You could also check out Lane Bryant, but I found their suits to be a little more casual and too expensive for what they were.

I would also set aside some money for having the suit tailored if you can afford it. Plus size suits tend to be boxier and not fit correctly in every area, so having it tailored to your body would make it look that much better.

See where Evan Picone suits are sold in your area, well made and go up to size 14 & 16. Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack carry Kasper and Tahari, a little more affordable but watch that the jacket style isn't too cutesy or trendy. Also consider a sheath dress with matching suit jacket, for a tailored sleek look without the worry of keeping a blouse tucked in all day or a tight waistband.

Reactions: 2 users
See where Evan Picone suits are sold in your area, well made and go up to size 14 & 16. Nordstrom and Nordstrom Rack carry Kasper and Tahari, a little more affordable but watch that the jacket style isn't too cutesy or trendy. Also consider a sheath dress with matching suit jacket, for a tailored sleek look without the worry of keeping a blouse tucked in all day or a tight waistband.

Talbots is a brand that has regular, plus, petites and plus petites. They skew frumpy for some items but interview suits are supposed to be a bit conservative so you may find something that you like. Regular size goes up to 18, plus starts at 12 plus. This jacket is nice. Talbots usually have one or two pants style choices and a skirt or two plus a sheath dress to match for suit jackets. And it's sale time now.

If you've got an upscale resale shop near you, check out a line of knitwear called Misook. They're exceptionally well made, generally conservative in cut and styling, and very forgiving of figure flaws - but hideously expensive [new]. They're also standardized so that all of their core 'black' knit is the exact same black, so mixed pieces will match exactly. If you don't have a convenient upscale resale shop but do have time and a nearby Nordstroms, Neimanns or Saks, you can shop in person to find your size (14 is probably L but maybe M) and cut, then buy used on eBay. (They wear like iron so pieces are likely to be in excellent condition, even used.) They also pack exceptionally well, so are invariably what I bring when I travel on business.