This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thoughts? I really like this suit but want to make sure cut of pants is okay (they are a very high quality material but are cut narrower than many suits). This is actually the first pair of suit pants I've found that fits well in the hips, so I'd love to keep this suit ideally but will definitely return if it would be seen as too informal! Thanks in advance :)
I think they look fine. And a plus that they're comfortable. I've seen this style of pants quite frequently during every funeral procession - er - interview session.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a very subtle cartilage piercing in one ear. I would rather not take it out because it can close pretty quickly but do you guys think it will pose a problem? It is just a stud, not a hoop.
There are some nude silicone retainers available for piercings. They come in a few different shades to match most skin tones. I wore them for my interviews, and it was next to impossible for even me to see them. Hope this helps!

Capture%2B_2018-09-05-09-15-41.jpeg

Can anyone advise whether pants of this length or a little longer (with a matching suit jacket) are too short? Thanks!

Attachments

• ankle pants.png
    ankle pants.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 118
Any advice for very pregnant ladies (7-9 months). I'm on the lookout now but have had much luck. The only website I've found is seraphine, and the options aren't great...

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Any advice for very pregnant ladies (7-9 months). I'm on the lookout now but have had much luck. The only website I've found is seraphine, and the options aren't great...

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile
The rules for business professional will be interpreted very generously in this situation.
Just about any dark dress (or separates) with a jacket will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having difficulty finding a suit that fits well, isn't too trendy, and isn't too unflattering or completely shapeless. Many of the suits (specifically the blazers) I'm finding (at Nordstrom, Macy's, Ann Taylor) are too wide/straight cut for me, even if they fit well at the shoulders, and I feel like they make me look matronly or frumpy. Or, when I do find blazers that fit well and are professional but still somewhat flattering in shape (maybe they're cut more for younger women?), the material is such that the skirts are too fitted/stretchy (like many I've found at H&M and express) rather than being straight and truly business professional/appropriate.

What are good stores to try? I've heard great things about ann Taylor but when I went there several weeks ago I was not impressed, maybe I should try again? What else do people recommend for suits that are both flattering and professional?

Also, follow up q, I feel dumb even asking this question but I've read that "wool" is the best material for suits, however I honestly have not seen a single suit that says "wool" on the garment tag (although I've seen wool and tropical wool suits online). Am I just being dumb? Will a wool suit actually say wool on the tag or will it say something else?

Last edited:
I'm having difficulty finding a suit that fits well, isn't too trendy, and isn't too unflattering or completely shapeless. Many of the suits (specifically the blazers) I'm finding (at Nordstrom, Macy's, Ann Taylor) are too wide/straight cut for me, even if they fit well at the shoulders, and I feel like they make me look matronly or frumpy. Or, when I do find blazers that fit well and are professional but still somewhat flattering in shape (maybe they're cut more for younger women?), the material is such that the skirts are too fitted/stretchy (like many I've found at H&M and express) rather than being straight and truly business professional/appropriate.

What are good stores to try? I've heard great things about ann Taylor but when I went there several weeks ago I was not impressed, maybe I should try again? What else do people recommend for suits that are both flattering and professional?

Also, follow up q, I feel dumb even asking this question but I've read that "wool" is the best material for suits, however I honestly have not seen a single suit that says "wool" on the garment tag (although I've seen wool and tropical wool suits online). Am I just being dumb? Will a wool suit actually say wool on the tag or will it say something else?

Get the better material and then get your jacket tailored! That’ll help you feel less frumpy, and it’s really not hard to find a relatively inexpensive tailor. If you’re investing in a suit already it’s worth it to pay a little more to get it tailored.

Look for suits by Kasper, either jacket/skirt or jacket/sheath dress in same material, or Evan Picone. They can be found in department stores or sometimes outlet malls. Talbots, which used to be more staid, has refreshed its style a bit and has a more modern look now.

Last edited:

Try WhiteHouse|BlackMarket. Their basic suits are very flattering. They are a bit on the spendy side, but they're well made, very classic, and will stay in style forever.

I had good luck at J.Crew!

So I finally found a suit that doesn't make me look like a little girl playing dress up, and I'm looking for shoes and a bag to go with it. It's a navy suit, and I have these heels that I think might work with it? I'm not sure if this is the proper cordovan color that's been mentioned in this thread

upload_2018-9-7_13-17-49.png Would this work? Thanks!

So I finally found a suit that doesn't make me look like a little girl playing dress up, and I'm looking for shoes and a bag to go with it. It's a navy suit, and I have these heels that I think might work with it? I'm not sure if this is the proper cordovan color that's been mentioned in this thread

View attachment 239524 Would this work? Thanks!
Looks great.

I really like that shade with navy. I was suggesting black because it's basic and easier (and more convenient to match with bag) but this color will work great. Good luck!

Where did you find those shoes? They’re super cute/look not super uncomfortable

I bought this pant suit today (in navy blue) and was looking back at the advice on pants suit not hugging your butt or hips. I have a small waist/no real hips, but have thicker thighs and a butt so it is more fitting around these areas, but not anything revealing. Should I try to size up? My only issue is it not fitting my waist and looking unfit.

The length on the model is about similar length on me, with heels and all.

Also are belts fine? Thinking of a thin black or navy color

Buy the larger size and have the waist tailored to fit.

So I know that heels > flats if possible, but I have an ongoing foot injury so heels are really going to be tough for me. I don’t want to mess up my interview because I’m distracted by foot pain. I found the shoes in this picture and they seem professional to me. They are flats but have some structure to them.

Any thoughts?

Also - what color shoes should be worn with a navy suit?

Thanks!

Appropriate dressy flats are really, really hard to find. I'd say those are "OK" but no better... If you've got time, keep looking.

Is it absolutely necessary to buy a suit? I was thinking formal pants/ nice blouse/ black blazer would be okay

It is absolutely necessary. Separates are not appropriate.

I was mainly wondering about the cut of the pants/how they are narrower at the ankle

I'm going to say "barely OK" -- They look pretty ankle-hugging, but with exactly the right pumps, you can probably pull it off.

You're focusing on flattering. I hear you -- but do you want to marry a doctor or be a doctor? Your goal should be to look professional and appropriate. Attractive is nice, but it needs to be way down the list. If you're feeling frumpy because you're busty and short, try a dress suit -- dress and matching jacket. Appropriate and flattering.

Look for suits by Kasper, either jacket/skirt or jacket/sheath dress in same material, or Evan Picone. They can be found in department stores or sometimes outlet malls. Talbots, which used to be more staid, has refreshed its style a bit and has a more modern look now.

Excellent advice

Reactions: 7 users

those are perfect! if youre still looking for a bag i was able to find a matching cordovan bag at target that was fairly inexpensive and looks nice. (also matched the shoe color exactly--freaky) you could try there!

You're focusing on flattering. I hear you -- but do you want to marry a doctor or be a doctor? Your goal should be to look professional and appropriate. Attractive is nice, but it needs to be way down the list. If you're feeling frumpy because you're busty and short, try a dress suit -- dress and matching jacket. Appropriate and flattering.

Is it wrong for me to say both? Hahahah

But in all seriousness, I think you're right, looking put together/good and looking "good" don't have to be the same thing! My issue isn't being busty and short, rather I'm of average height with a narrow frame and relatively small waist. So I think my issue is that I'll definitely have to get anything I buy tailored, and I've been struggling to find stuff because I'm having difficulty imaging what everything will look like once it's been taken in and fits properly. But I actually ended up finding a suit I really like at Macy's today, so my search seems like it's over!

Thanks for y'all's various advice!

Reactions: 2 users
Is it wrong for me to say both? Hahahah

But in all seriousness, I think you're right, looking put together/good and looking "good" don't have to be the same thing! My issue isn't being busty and short, rather I'm of average height with a narrow frame and relatively small waist. So I think my issue is that I'll definitely have to get anything I buy tailored, and I've been struggling to find stuff because I'm having difficulty imaging what everything will look like once it's been taken in and fits properly. But I actually ended up finding a suit I really like at Macy's today, so my search seems like it's over!

Thanks for y'all's various advice!

"narrow frame and relatively small waist"

I've never seen anyone work harder to avoid saying "I'm slim and these clothes make me look fat!" :D;)

Have you looked at the brand - Theory? Some really, really nice suits cut for narrow frames. If you've got a Nordstrom Rack near you or are willing to shop online, you may even be able to find one at an attractive price.

Edited to add: Ebay is your friend. If you've got enough time to have it tailored (if needed) there are some Theory suits on ebay for well under $100 (very slightly used - which is OK) or new for > $300+. These are truly beautiful suits -- the kind that are so well-made that you can actually get a little latitude on style. The women who can afford these suits generally don't wear them into the ground because by the time you can afford them, most women either no longer need to wear boardroom-type suits or are of an age where they can't fit into their tiny sizes...:( You can find them new/retail at Nordstrom's, Saks, Neimann's and Bloomingdales. Also check upscale resale shops in your city. If buying online, be aware that Theory does not vanity size, so check measurements carefully.

But yeah - this will be your lucky suit.

Last edited:

I've never seen anyone work harder to avoid saying "I'm slim and these clothes make me look fat!" :D;)

Have you looked at the brand - Theory? Some really, really nice suits cut for narrow frames. If you've got a Nordstrom Rack near you or are willing to shop online, you may even be able to find one at an attractive price.

I'll second this. I'm also very thin and was struggling to feel good in anything because it just plain didn't fit. Flattering may not be the main goal, but too baggy is almost as bad as too tight and does not make you look or feel put-together. I've had luck buying business casual pants at Banana Republic before, but even their pant suits and skirt suits in a 0 were too big, baggy, and unattractive on me. I ordered a skirt suit from Theory online last week after trying on a jacket in Saks. It was expensive, but SO worth it. The color and material are gorgeous and the fit of the skirt waist in a 0 is perfect! I'm thrilled. I'll still need to hem the skirt a little as I'm on the shorter side, and I might send the jacket back for a 00 so the waist is a little more fitted, but overall it's a really high quality suit that I won't need to drastically alter and I feel good in it. If you have the money to invest, or can find one at a cheaper price, it's worth it!

Reactions: 3 users

Hmm I agree. No sympathy from me for the "I'm just too petite and tiny, I can't find any clothes to fit me" lament :rolleyes:

Have

Hmm I agree. No sympathy from me for the "I'm just too petite and tiny, I can't find any clothes to fit me" lament :rolleyes:

I was trying to clarify my specific issue finding suits without sounding obnoxious! But I guess I failed haha

This thread is amazing, I don't know what I'd do without you guys!

I have my first interview on Friday and now I'm wondering what I should do with my hair. I have really long hair that I'll straighten, so what style would be most professional? All down, half clipped back, all up...?

I have my first interview on Friday and now I'm wondering what I should do with my hair. I have really long hair that I'll straighten, so what style would be most professional? All down, half clipped back, all up...?
You want something that looks neat (doesn't get in your face or go all over the place) and is non-fussy. I like the half clipped back idea, but let's see what the experts say! (love this thread, too!!)

Any style that lets us see your face (and doesn't tempt you to handle it) is fine. Straight or curly doesn't matter.

Reactions: 3 users
Just as a heads up for anyone that's struggling to find a suit without breaking the bank, eBay (I know it isn't 2003, bear with me) sells women's suits, many of which are highly affordable. I ordered two suits from eBay for $50 each, one Ann Taylor and the other H&M, and am in love with them. One of them needs tailoring, but many people opt to tailor brand new suits anyway, so it's still a cheaper option. I'd highly suggest looking into this if you're struggling to afford a high quality suit in-store!

I tried a bunch of different hairstyles for my interviews (everything from bun to braid to half up to all down). All them worked out fine. But the best styles were the ones that required the least fussing with, and stayed off of my face without having to brush it back all the time or repin it. Exactly what style that would be for you will depend on your own hair and what you're comfortable with- just make sure its neat, shows your face, and will stay put all day!

Shameless promotion of @DokterMom 's advice to look into a dress suit if you are short and busty. I am not the type of person who usually wears a dress, but I found that dress suits were extremely flattering. Even if you're not normally a dress person, give it a try!

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you wearing your very first suit, congratulations! This is a milestone.
I would like to warn you of an evil trick played on new professionals. The placket (the flap that covers the opening in the back of the suit jacket) is sewn closed with a white thread that is quite visible. This thread should be removed before wearing. Sometimes the skirt has a similar thread closing the kick pleat.

You may now return to your previously scheduled concerns.

Reactions: 9 users
For those of you wearing your very first suit, congratulations! This is a milestone.
I would like to warn you of an evil trick played on new professionals. The placket (the flap that covers the opening in the back of the suit jacket) is sewn closed with a white thread that is quite visible. This thread should be removed before wearing. Sometimes the skirt has a similar thread closing the kick pleat.

You may now return to your previously scheduled concerns.

Great advice. A tailor just taught me something new: if your suit jacket has pockets, they're also often sewn shut. Open those up as well, but if they have a pocket flap, tuck the flap into the pocket for a much cleaner line. It works!

Great advice. A tailor just taught me something new: if your suit jacket has pockets, they're also often sewn shut. Open those up as well, but if they have a pocket flap, tuck the flap into the pocket for a much cleaner line. It works!
Of course, you are correct.
I didn't mention it because women's clothing tends to be made of a much less dense and sturdy fabric. An open pocket might easily lead to a saggy, unfortunate sweater-like filled pocket...

Last edited by a moderator:
I went shopping today and I found this to be not uncomfortable Caroline Leather Loafer | Michael Kors Would it work? Otherwise I think I will hit nordstrom when I head back to the states. Shoe shopping is truly the worst.
Suit is in this style. CHARCOAL SUIT

This came up elsewhere, but I noticed that MD/PhD interviews are 2 days long for some schools. For those, is it necessary to have a 2nd outfit? I have a nice navy suit that I've worn for shadowing and other things but the pants are ankle pants RIP.

This came up elsewhere, but I noticed that MD/PhD interviews are 2 days long for some schools. For those, is it necessary to have a 2nd outfit? I have a nice navy suit that I've worn for shadowing and other things but the pants are ankle pants RIP.

Ann Taylor Loft (where Moms shop) has been carrying tweed dresses that might be a good "second day" choice. This looks short on the model; depending on how tall you are, this might work. And you might be able to wear one of your blazers over it, depending on the colors. (gray over black tweed, navy over gray tweed). I'm new here, so I can't post the link, but google Ann Taylor Loft Tweed Buttoned Shift Dress

I went shopping today and I found this to be not uncomfortable Caroline Leather Loafer | Michael Kors Would it work? Otherwise I think I will hit nordstrom when I head back to the states. Shoe shopping is truly the worst.
Suit is in this style. CHARCOAL SUIT

While I can't speak specifically to MD/PhD, for two day interviews you can usually get away with wearing the same suit with a different top, so long as you don't get super sweaty/dirty in it. You probably want to have a few top options anyway, in case of coffee spills/sweaty armpits/boredom with wearing the same outfit to every interview.

What's the consensus on taking off a suit coat outdoors during a walking campus tour? In two weeks, I'll be attending an interview that has a walking tour, and the highs are supposed to be in the low 90's. I'm wearing a dress suit with no sleeves, but the tops of my shoulders are covered. Thanks for your advice!

What's the consensus on taking off a suit coat outdoors during a walking campus tour? In two weeks, I'll be attending an interview that has a walking tour, and the highs are supposed to be in the low 90's. I'm wearing a dress suit with no sleeves, but the tops of my shoulders are covered. Thanks for your advice!

In those circumstances, it would be ridiculous NOT to remove your jacket while outdoors.