This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would we consider this shirt too red? Slash neckline too low? Just discovered this thread, a larger sample of responses is ideal lol
There is nothing wrong with the color. The zipper and slash are not business professional.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the curvy fit and they still fit pretty slim through my thighs BUT much better than any other style I’ve tried on and they don’t look like leggings. Unfortunately most pants will fit more snug around my hips so I think this is my best option

If the pants are snug around your hips, go for a skirted suit or dress.

I did not get a chance to peruse through the 30 pages on here but wondering if a knee length (when standing) dark navy pencil skirt and a slightly flowy/loose, collared, light blush/pink blouse would be okay, and tucked into the skirt?

Also with 2 inch nude/suede pumps?
or should I do black?

ONLY if you have the matching suit jacket. Otherwise, no.

View attachment 278860
Is this kind of pattern completely out? I understand it totally might be too much, it’s just finally an outfit I feel confident in.

Shirt is very cute, but for your interview, the pattern is too bright/bold and the front zipper is too distracting. (Imagine a horny 60+ y.o. man oggling that zipper and imagining...)

I hopped over to Amazon and searched for "women's business shell blouse" and found >1,000 items, of which >25% were both appropriate and inexpensive (<$25).

The thing to remember for your blouse is "background". Go for something pleasant but bland, something that won't be noticed. Think vanilla ice cream. A neckline that won't (can't) fight with your jacket. No keyholes or zippers, in the front. Nothing sheer. Nothing low cut or with 'peep' anything. Nothing lacy or ruffled. No spaghetti straps or 'tank' tops. You can wear your favorite color so long as it's not acid green, neon yellow or Pepto Bismal pink. You can have soft pleats, shirring or pintucks. Sleeveless has become increasingly acceptable provided the shoulder portion will always cover your bra straps without adjustments on your part. Buttons down the front are risky if you're at all busty

When it comes to the interview blouse, polyester is your friend. Test the fabric (back side where it won't show) to see if it changes color noticeably when wet. You may sweat or drip something at lunch and need a quick spot clean. If it passes the 'wet spot test' see how the fabric performs hanging to dry overnight or with help from a blow-dryer. Is it wrinkle-city or good as new?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
If the pants are snug around your hips, go for a skirted suit or dress.

ONLY if you have the matching suit jacket. Otherwise, no.

Shirt is very cute, but for your interview, the pattern is too bright/bold and the front zipper is too distracting. (Imagine a horny 60+ y.o. man oggling that zipper and imagining...)

I hopped over to Amazon and searched for "women's business shell blouse" and found >1,000 items, of which >25% were both appropriate and inexpensive (<$25).

The thing to remember for your blouse is "background". Go for something bland, something that won't be noticed. Think vanilla ice cream. A neckline that won't (can't) fight with your jacket. No keyholes or zippers, in the front. Nothing sheer. Nothing low cut or with 'peep' anything. Nothing lacy or ruffled. No spaghetti straps or 'tank' tops. You can wear your favorite color so long as it's not acid green, neon yellow or Pepto Bismal pink. You can have soft pleats, shirring or pintucks. Sleeveless has become increasingly acceptable provided the shoulder portion will always cover your bra straps without adjustments on your part. Buttons down the front are risky if you're at all busty

When it comes to the interview blouse, polyester is your friend. Test the fabric (back side where it won't show) to see if it changes color noticeably when wet. You may sweat or drip something at lunch and need a quick spot clean. If it passes the 'wet spot test' see how the fabric performs hanging to dry overnight or with help from a blow-dryer. Is it wrinkle-city or good as new?

:love:

Avoid prints, ruffles, keyholes and embellishments of any kind.

Thanks so much for the swift feedback earlier gyngyn, think we found what looks great and professional :pompous:

Reactions: 1 user
Spent some time at the mall this weekend looking for my suit and found a black "blazer" at The Loft to be my best fit (Modern Blazer | LOFT). Is this okay with matching black pants? For a blouse, should it strictly be solid or is a light/faint pattern okay?

For pants, I have two options - one a more loose cut through the ankle and one tapered down to the ankle. They look like this:

Pant options.jpg

Two questions:

1) I have a skirt suit and a pantsuit. Both are well-fitting and tailored, does it matter which one I wear to which interview? Is a skirt better at more conservative schools? Should I just flip a coin?

2)I have juvenile-onset arthritis and am tall (around 5'10") so I usually avoid heels. I bought these shoes and was hoping they would be okay to wear with pants or a skirt. Do you think these would be okay or should I just tough it out in heels?
1568061288566.png

Two questions:

1) I have a skirt suit and a pantsuit. Both are well-fitting and tailored, does it matter which one I wear to which interview? Is a skirt better at more conservative schools? Should I just flip a coin?

2)I have juvenile-onset arthritis and am tall (around 5'10") so I usually avoid heels. I bought these shoes and was hoping they would be okay to wear with pants or a skirt. Do you think these would be okay or should I just tough it out in heels? View attachment 279468
Not sure about 1, but I LOVE these shoes. Are they comfortable?

Spent some time at the mall this weekend looking for my suit and found a black "blazer" at The Loft to be my best fit (Modern Blazer | LOFT). Is this okay with matching black pants? For a blouse, should it strictly be solid or is a light/faint pattern okay?

For pants, I have two options - one a more loose cut through the ankle and one tapered down to the ankle. They look like this:

Both pairs of pants appear adequately wide at the ankle. Looking at the links though, the slimmer pants look like they'd be too slim unless your legs are really long and skinny. The trousers are a much safer look.

And a faint pattern on your blouse is fine provided the blouse is 'correct' in all of the other ways. Do you have a photo you can post?

Two questions:

2)I have juvenile-onset arthritis and am tall (around 5'10") so I usually avoid heels. I bought these shoes and was hoping they would be okay to wear with pants or a skirt. Do you think these would be okay or should I just tough it out in heels?

I like those shoes with pants and would say they're 'OK' with a skirt since you're tall. But if you have suitable heels and can walk in them without subjecting yourself to hours of pain during/after, I'd like to suggest you do. Nothing projects confidence like a tall woman wearing heels and holding her head high. Flats on a tall woman can make you look like you're trying to hide or downplay your height.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have advice on how to wear really long hair (past my waist, almost long enough that I sit on it when I sit down). It's really bulky when I try to pull it up into either a bun or ponytail.

Does anybody have advice on how to wear really long hair (past my waist, almost long enough that I sit on it when I sit down). It's really bulky when I try to pull it up into either a bun or ponytail.
I’d still do a bun. It will look more professional than having it down or half up at that length.

Paired with a suit skirt, what is the limit on heel height for regular black heels)? (And does it matter if you are already tall or not)

Paired with a suit skirt, what is the limit on heel height for regular black heels)? (And does it matter if you are already tall or not)
In general, a 3 1/2" to 4" heel is as high as you'd want to go. A caveat though -- a 4" heal on a size 5 pump looks much higher than a 4" heel on a size 10 pump, so do take that into consideration. And of course, what you're comfortable walking in.

Does it matter if you're tall? Only in the sense that a tall woman proudly wearing heels looks incredible and confident. If heels make you taller than the guys, then own that altitude! A strong candidate, even more so!

Sometimes tall women can feel socially awkward if they're taller than the men they're interested in. But don't let yourself go there. This is not a mixer or pick-up bar, and as a physician, you're going to have to get used to 'out-ranking' most men. Weed out the men with little confidence because that kind of guy can try to tear a strong, capable woman down just to prop themselves up. Train yourself to spot those guys early and ignore their cattiness. A man who truly respects and appreciates intelligence and competence will happily look up to you. (Pun intended)

If you braid it first, is it still too bulky in a bun? You could also fold your braid under and tie it with a very plain ribbon. I'd suggest you see what your good friend Google suggests.

If you braid it first, is it still too bulky in a bun? You could also fold your braid under and tie it with a very plain ribbon. I'd suggest you see what your good friend Google suggests.

As someone with A LOT of THICK, CURLY hair (the salon always tried to charge my mom 3x the price when I was a kid...), I understand what OP is saying about having the hair be bulky and heavy when up. Out of curiosity, OP, is there a reason why you can't cut it for interview season? Once you enter med school (labs,surgeries, etc.), you'll need to put your hair up...

Something like this would be easy, low-maintenance and professional, which is what you're looking for.

739fc2b49cc415bf3f510c8d5c102293.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh, can I just vent to you all about the craziness of US womens' sizing for a second?

I had to purchase a new suit for my upcoming interviews, since my suits from my former tech sector life are way too trendy. By my measurements, I should be a size 8.

Anyway, I just purchased some pieces at Ann Taylor and I was a size 4 in a pencil skirt, a 6 in a sheath dress, and an 8 petite (???? I'm 5'7"!!!) in trousers and jacket! I wasn't happy with the material of the suiting (poly/rayon blend), but they didn't have the wool pieces in stock and I don't feel at all confident buying online now :(

I would expect this from fast-fashion stores (Zara, H&M etc.) where vanity sizing is out of control, but I was hoping retailers that sell at a higher price point would be a little more standardized. Guess not.

End rant. Thanks for listening :)

Ugh, can I just vent to you all about the craziness of US womens' sizing for a second?

I had the exact same problem, though I had by far the best results at Ann Taylor (after extensive shopping around). I'm 5'6 ...in no world should I be wearing pants that are size 00 petite!!

Last edited:
Hi! Any opinions on which shoe is best??
I'm wearing a navy blue suit.
Left) Naturalizer Hope
Middle) Aerosoles Silver Medal
Right) Naturalizer 27 Edit Maris
1568224773392.png
1568224893459.png
1568225061218.png

Last edited:
As someone with A LOT of THICK, CURLY hair (the salon always tried to charge my mom 3x the price when I was a kid...), I understand what OP is saying about having the hair be bulky and heavy when up. Out of curiosity, OP, is there a reason why you can't cut it for interview season? Once you enter med school (labs,surgeries, etc.), you'll need to put your hair up...

Mine is also super thick and curly! I have been thinking about getting it cut, just haven't had time to make an appointment yet with traveling (we evacuated from the hurricane as well!). I probably will sometime in the next week or two, but had an interview earlier this week and had a last-minute panic about my hair. Ended up braiding it and putting it up!

Hi guys, I read the first post and skimmed this page but I am not trying to go through 30 pages and would like some advice.
I got what I thought would be an appropriate suit with backup blouses in case something happens in-transit. However after reading the thread, I am worried the dress pants might be too casual because they do hug closer to my body than some of the more bootleg type dress pants, is this unacceptable?
Additionally, earlier up someone said tan/brown shoes are bad with a navy suit but I was under the impression this was the conventional color?

Also I am really struggling with the coat aspect. I got one, but I am not happy with it. I am generally a size 4-6 (depending on brand) in the torso by conventional measurements but my shoulders are broad, so I have to go to an 8 in the coat to be able to move properly, and would need tailoring so it doesn't look silly. Anyone know of good brands for broad shoulders but smaller torsos?

Thanks in advance!

Hi guys, I have a suit (from h&m) but I'm not sure what to wear under it. I have a high neck blouse and a V neck shirt (that can be buttoned all the way up ), both are white and I'm not sure what goes better, my friends think the high neck blouse is too casual and the v neck shirt is too serious. Also, is the blouse/shirt supposed to be tucked into the pants or outside? I'm on the curvy side and I feel more comfortable with tops covering my hips area. Thanks in advance!

Would a suit skirt like this still be considered professional?
WIth a very neutral/muted blouse on top.
A6370A19-D408-4221-A6D5-37807555F51A.jpeg

Fair concern, just not sure if it’s too much or just enough to be interesting. But **** it, I’m already posting so here is my full range of options. Anyone feel free to critique.

View attachment 278861View attachment 278862View attachment 278863View attachment 278864View attachment 278865
The dark green feel a little too dark. I like the light pink the best, but it’s a tank and the shoulders are just a little too thin if I needed to take off the jacket. The white is fine but boring, also sleeveless but very very wide shoulders. The black pattern is also sleeveless but wide shoulders.

Edit: I do also have a matching sheath dress for the jacket, but tbh I never really understand the whole matching dress and jacket color. It seems weird. View attachment 278866
I like the brown and white shell and the grey dress the most but I'm also a neutral color type of gal.

Just tried on my full interview outfit and it looks great! However, I have discovered that my pantyhose makes my pumps kind of slide around while I walk. Specifically around the heel, I feel like my foot may just pop out. Does anyone have any tricks for maintaining traction with pantyhose? Is this a normal problem or is it perhaps my pantyhose or shoes?
I always wear socks above pantyhose

Are pantyhose or knee highs suggested, or is au natural acceptable?

Hi all! This post has so much wonderful information which has been incredibly helpful!

I am hoping someone might have some insight on what would be considered appropriate to wear for a "business casual" interview? I have two days of interviews - the first interview is "business casual" and the second is "formal attire." It seems like appropriate wear may differ from business casual lunches/dinners, but maybe not? It might be nice to simply wear the same suit with a different blouse, but I am not sure if that would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance!

For anyone who is considering buying suit pieces soon, Ann Taylor currently has a 40% off sale (not sure if anyone has posted about this, sorry if that is the case).

Reactions: 4 users
Assuming I end up getting interviews, I’m planning on going with a navy dress suit. Trying to figure out shoe options and wanted some thoughts.

I love the idea of cordovan and navy, so I was thinking maybe these.

They also come in a regular black (obviously would avoid the patent and suede ones)

Also maybe feeling these, since they’re on sale and I know the brand to be comfy.

Would these be interview appropriate?

Assuming I end up getting interviews, I’m planning on going with a navy dress suit. Trying to figure out shoe options and wanted some thoughts.

I love the idea of cordovan and navy, so I was thinking maybe these.

They also come in a regular black (obviously would avoid the patent and suede ones)

Also maybe feeling these, since they’re on sale and I know the brand to be comfy.

Would these be interview appropriate?
Those are all perfectly acceptable.
I particularly like the cordovan with navy.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all! This post has so much wonderful information which has been incredibly helpful!

I am hoping someone might have some insight on what would be considered appropriate to wear for a "business casual" interview? I have two days of interviews - the first interview is "business casual" and the second is "formal attire." It seems like appropriate wear may differ from business casual lunches/dinners, but maybe not? It might be nice to simply wear the same suit with a different blouse, but I am not sure if that would be appropriate.

Thanks in advance!
Business casual does not require a jacket for ladies.
A skirt (or trousers) and blouse would be fine.

Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a skirt like this?

@DokterMom @gyngyn @LizzyM anyone else really

Thank you so much!!!!!
Though it's a bit more "fashion" than business, it's far better than the ultra mini's I have seen lately in interviews.
I have felt embarrassed for the poor creatures. When they stand (after sitting awhile), the skirt hem has risen to show their panties.
Awkward.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Though it's a bit more "fashion" than business, it's far better than the ultra mini's I have seen lately in interviews.
I have felt embarrassed for the poor creatures. When they stand (after sitting awhile), the skirt hem has risen to show their panties.
Awkward.

Okay, perhaps it’s not as conservative as just a straight plain suit skirt but if it’s not going to raise eyebrows or anything, I think I will go with this! Thank you so much!

20190915_104221.jpg

20190915_104213.jpg

Are these business professional?

I'm with my dad and he can't give me feedback because he doesn't know much about purses lol

If I am wearing cordovan shoes, does my purse also need to be cordovan? I’m having trouble finding a smaller, affordable matching bag and was wondering if I could get away with a black bag (all in the context of a navy suit).

Big bags seem to be very in right now, unfortunately for me.

If I am wearing cordovan shoes, does my purse also need to be cordovan? I’m having trouble finding a smaller, affordable matching bag and was wondering if I could get away with a black bag (all in the context of a navy suit).

Maybe something like this? (the black one)

I think if the bag isn't too big it should be fine. Here's the one I ended up getting (book for reference):
20190915_120149.jpg

As for color, I think @gyngyn might've mentioned to match the purse color with the shoe color.

Try Burlington. The one I went to had a lot of purses and they were sold at much cheaper prices.

Was wondering if anyone had thoughts on a skirt like this?

@DokterMom @gyngyn @LizzyM anyone else really

Thank you so much!!!!!

It's professional, but the cut of the skirt is a little 'flirty'. Be sure the rest of your look is 'serious' to counter-balance and you'll be fine. (Note: This advice is tailored to this particular candidate, who has some pretty serious credentials. Younger applicants who might appear less serious otherwise would be better advised to stick to a straight cut skirt.)

Hi guys, I have a suit (from h&m) but I'm not sure what to wear under it. I have a high neck blouse and a V neck shirt (that can be buttoned all the way up ), both are white and I'm not sure what goes better, my friends think the high neck blouse is too casual and the v neck shirt is too serious. Also, is the blouse/shirt supposed to be tucked into the pants or outside? I'm on the curvy side and I feel more comfortable with tops covering my hips area. Thanks in advance!

"Too serious" ? Pardon me, but there is no such thing as 'too serious' for a medical school interview. And tucked in. A bouse or shell in a color close to your suit color can 'blur the line' a bit and avoid visually cutting you in half. A dress suit is also nice for curvy women.

I always wear socks above pantyhose

What? No. There are some non-slip heel cushions that can fit inside the back of your shoes to keep them from slipping.

You want the female equivalent of khakis and a blue blazer -- so a simple dress, skirt and blouse, or black dress slacks and a nice sweater. Blazer is nice not not necessary for business casual.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I think if the bag isn't too big it should be fine. Here's the one I ended up getting (book for reference):

Try Burlington. The one I went to had a lot of purses and they were sold at much cheaper prices.

Love that bag! There's a Burlington not too far from me, I'll definitely go and check it out. Great idea!

okay questions!
1. During the actual interview (sitting down or doing group exericses), do people generally keep their suit blazers on?
2. For a three piece outfit, suit skirt, blazer and a blouse, does the blouse have to be long sleeves or can it have shorter sleeves?