This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m searching all over for a pant suit. Do these pants look too fitted?
7593131C-F0A0-403D-A0FA-4515F1051A51.jpeg

Or, does this second look seem too casual ?
8C7E155D-FEE6-4A4A-9D2B-6E92736F8BF3.jpeg
D7B516BA-9439-4CDB-AEAB-1DEACCC4EEAC.jpeg

Last edited:
So I currently have a knee injury and I’m using crutches. I’m able to walk (limp) without them but end up in some pain after that. I was thinking of not using them but wearing a knee and ankle brace with flat shoes. Would it be okay not to wear the heels ? I would love some advice

A visible medical device on your foot/ankle/knee and/or crutches gives you a lot of leeway on footwear. If you want to wear flats due to an injury and the appropriateness of your flats is questionable (MOST are questionable), wear the medical device.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the first suit looks much too fitted on the model who's wearing it. Don't know exactly how it would look on you though, so might be worth a shot.

I"m not loving the second suit. Looks kind of like a banker wannabe. I think it's the grey pinstripe fabric...

Thank you! Do you think this jacket is okay? Please disregard the ill fitting pants, they did not have the proper size available so I tried these on purely for the color. Also please excuse my terrible nail polish right now!
1B463A9F-7980-4A11-8C77-32B175CF5158.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
The peak lapels are another problem with the pinstripe. Too tuxedo.

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think the lapels are okay in the photo of myself that I just posted? I only just realized that they look slightly similar...

Thank you for your feedback. Do you think the lapels are okay in the photo of myself that I just posted? I only just realized that they look slightly similar...
Those are perfect. They are called "step" lapels.

Thank you! Do you think this jacket is okay? Please disregard the ill fitting pants, they did not have the proper size available so I tried these on purely for the color. Also please excuse my terrible nail polish right now!View attachment 281495

That jacket looks nice.

Glad you realized those pants don't fit you well -- I'm only mentioning it here so others can see that this is NOT an appropriate fit.

That jacket looks nice.

Glad you realized those pants don't fit you well -- I'm only mentioning it here so others can see that this is NOT an appropriate fit.
Yes, I’ve read through so many pages of this thread, I knew to avoid the “star” issue on the pants. I tried on a larger size of the same suit in a different color to make sure it fit properly, and then ordered online. Thank you for your advice!

For anyone still searching: Macy’s has a suit section and they have good options for more affordable prices than Ann Taylor and Talbots.

Thank you! Do you think this jacket is okay? Please disregard the ill fitting pants, they did not have the proper size available so I tried these on purely for the color. Also please excuse my terrible nail polish right now!View attachment 281495

Pretty sure I got the exact same suit. Glad to see it OKed on SDN ;-)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a CA gal (aka never experienced temp below like 30F before) and I'm lucky enough to have some IIs at colder-weathered places in Nov/Dec. What kind of coat/shoes are acceptable for interview day? My regular outfit is a black pantsuit and flats, and I'm worried any extra clothing will just look bulky. Seeking tips for what to wear and how to make my outfit still look classy and professional :)

I need some opinions.
1) skirt or pants? I feel more professional and feminine in a skirt but feel like few women (esp physicians!) wear skirts. What looks better on me?
2) are the pearls too much?
3) is the green too strong? Which shirt favorite?
4) can I wear my hair down if I don’t play with it during the day?

Attachments

• 63C41EFC-E66A-443B-B870-D6947A786DD5.jpeg
    63C41EFC-E66A-443B-B870-D6947A786DD5.jpeg
    103.6 KB · Views: 246
  • 895768A2-B279-4198-A899-08B288A1D8E6.jpeg
    895768A2-B279-4198-A899-08B288A1D8E6.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 533C462A-1A98-44B9-AEE1-AB7AD071C9F0.jpeg
    533C462A-1A98-44B9-AEE1-AB7AD071C9F0.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 28D8B910-52F0-45D6-8904-BC900690FC2C.jpeg
    28D8B910-52F0-45D6-8904-BC900690FC2C.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 81F23835-FAE4-439D-90A1-1F58BABE3970.jpeg
    81F23835-FAE4-439D-90A1-1F58BABE3970.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 242
  • B8BA45E8-8725-4FE3-8411-0425B4432CE6.jpeg
    B8BA45E8-8725-4FE3-8411-0425B4432CE6.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 236
Okay for real..
Black wedges (i dont do heels) or a brown shoe of some sort for a navy suit with a staight-leg pant? Im not convinced my black wedged heels from my med school interviews look okay with the navy. (I may have also bought two suits because i didnt know what to do lol)

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn @DokterMom Would I be able to wear my hair down, or is it too long? I'd tuck it behind my ears rather than have it in front like this, and it would be straightened nicely. Thanks!
E_b2NJ9yne-r3if0BgnWjEybQq7qIMFN1IUYF9fQ6wDQoOMT2ZcIpZ26PG6hqDavRZiGe3QcoyYVt-EfhJhHuRTV0b3yrxywxcTVTGLVdNWIm2hMFcx4By69GRw1WoeGxw_E-1ZvJ7RFgiXtCuOE8cqTSujokHC4vlSt1hG_1ZBCsbYiwCwqdQ87oSkiZrT2tPWJUVLDuQ6td6xBovK98G4BtTmXDDenhRvlOlj3aF-pszauumkjVI3BGdlomAeBQIQPfyfsZvIazpcv74xgQdjbqPG8m7XgKIv14R6_3vk7t-IvGamRw_GruSnIsi3OG93K3mR48RDskKKkZXVTlOnQXjLdYN1oAcpi13JsbGc5pWqCcA9uQvHApEkXrNaecUOHByEsyFF77t-UMUcN2N-AhVhU_SxyxXAoOBzTBgS-bfMEoV2KBOcCUpyyZ-XTDbvZ6pU044Z7uXOZWWuF_uvfPtGhigcsoMImdLB1NBGtFbVubj8c8H5pBwSxTdD-xt9OtV6QnQ91TPxLncWq1Pr_l0qgvEyllQLOLG6BObfO9SFbOjXT9glNqbkiUbFWvOp6sEUDtqIj3C_xyt-FsFWgmMaYT6NFlDSi2fsp_QZPWWwk1Q9qLpXMu9uuFXSyMnwykXMpHBfiZQ7flYB3wvog_B7rQKunR3-MukKbdHyIT_btycpBexg=w973-h904-no

I need some opinions.
1) skirt or pants? I feel more professional and feminine in a skirt but feel like few women (esp physicians!) wear skirts. What looks better on me?
2) are the pearls too much?
3) is the green too strong? Which shirt favorite?
4) can I wear my hair down if I don’t play with it during the day?

1 - Skirt looks better in my opinion. While I acknowledge your point about 'typical day wear' for women physicians, you're dressing for an interview, not a day in the life.
2 - The pearls are perfect.
3 - The green looked baggy in the pictures, so I'm liking the white better. Make sure you don't have a 'button gap' at the bustline though.
4 - Yes, you can wear your hair down.

Okay for real..
Black wedges (i dont do heels) or a brown shoe of some sort for a navy suit with a staight-leg pant? Im not convinced my black wedged heels from my med school interviews look okay with the navy. (I may have also bought two suits because i didnt know what to do lol)

Wedgies are more casual, but if you don't see them under your pants, you can get away with them. Black shoes with navy are fine - really. Brown can also work if it's a dark reddish brown rather than a medium 'caramel' brown.

@gyngyn @DokterMom Would I be able to wear my hair down, or is it too long? I'd tuck it behind my ears rather than have it in front like this, and it would be straightened nicely. Thanks!
E_b2NJ9yne-r3if0BgnWjEybQq7qIMFN1IUYF9fQ6wDQoOMT2ZcIpZ26PG6hqDavRZiGe3QcoyYVt-EfhJhHuRTV0b3yrxywxcTVTGLVdNWIm2hMFcx4By69GRw1WoeGxw_E-1ZvJ7RFgiXtCuOE8cqTSujokHC4vlSt1hG_1ZBCsbYiwCwqdQ87oSkiZrT2tPWJUVLDuQ6td6xBovK98G4BtTmXDDenhRvlOlj3aF-pszauumkjVI3BGdlomAeBQIQPfyfsZvIazpcv74xgQdjbqPG8m7XgKIv14R6_3vk7t-IvGamRw_GruSnIsi3OG93K3mR48RDskKKkZXVTlOnQXjLdYN1oAcpi13JsbGc5pWqCcA9uQvHApEkXrNaecUOHByEsyFF77t-UMUcN2N-AhVhU_SxyxXAoOBzTBgS-bfMEoV2KBOcCUpyyZ-XTDbvZ6pU044Z7uXOZWWuF_uvfPtGhigcsoMImdLB1NBGtFbVubj8c8H5pBwSxTdD-xt9OtV6QnQ91TPxLncWq1Pr_l0qgvEyllQLOLG6BObfO9SFbOjXT9glNqbkiUbFWvOp6sEUDtqIj3C_xyt-FsFWgmMaYT6NFlDSi2fsp_QZPWWwk1Q9qLpXMu9uuFXSyMnwykXMpHBfiZQ7flYB3wvog_B7rQKunR3-MukKbdHyIT_btycpBexg=w973-h904-no

How about a partial updo? Meaning the top front is pulled back - something Kate Middleton would do. And you don't need to straighten it.

How about a partial updo? Meaning the top front is pulled back - something Kate Middleton would do. And you don't need to straighten it.

I'd definitely do that! I have some shorter pieces in the front that could fall out; are visible bobby pins okay? They wouldn't be like sticking out. I'd try hairspray too but my hair doesn't hold it well.

I'd definitely do that! I have some shorter pieces in the front that could fall out; are visible bobby pins okay? They wouldn't be like sticking out. I'd try hairspray too but my hair doesn't hold it well.

Visible bobby pins are fine. You just want to look well-groomed and 'low-maintenance'

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what brands do you y'all recommend for petites? I went to the mall this weekend and had a hard time finding anything that fit. I tried Talbots, Ann Taylor, Lord and Taylor, and Express and only found a single suit jacket that fit me properly.

Also, why is women's sizing the worst? I'm usually a size 4, but apparently I'm a size 0 in suits? I'm so confused.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what brands do you y'all recommend for petites? I went to the mall this weekend and had a hard time finding anything that fit. I tried Talbots, Ann Taylor, Lord and Taylor, and Express and only found a single suit jacket that fit me properly.

Also, why is women's sizing the worst? I'm usually a size 4, but apparently I'm a size 0 in suits? I'm so confused.

I had luck at Banana Republic! I'm about 5'1" and found that their petite size jacket fit me well. They didn't have petite sizes in stock for the pants but they hemmed a regular length pair for me in-store for $10 (though that may vary in other parts of the country). Good luck and hope you find something that fits!

I had luck at Banana Republic! I'm about 5'1" and found that their petite size jacket fit me well. They didn't have petite sizes in stock for the pants but they hemmed a regular length pair for me in-store for $10 (though that may vary in other parts of the country). Good luck and hope you find something that fits!

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll give them a try this weekend.

This is super-late for this interview season, but I thought I would stick it on here anyway. They look nice!

"Unstainable" blouses! Machine washable, made from "vegan silk" LOL no doubt a synthetic microfiber.
Perfect for those of us for whom a plain blouse seems to be a food/sauce magnet...
Unstainable blouses by Elizabeth & Clarke

Button front blouse has hidden "gap snaps". Genius.
The Laurent

• Love
So sorry to bombard everyone with questions but here they are:

Are these shoes too "fashion-y"? They're fairly comfortable, but I can find different ones if I need to.
IMG_1666.JPG
IMG_1667.JPG

Also, I'm guessing this bag is too large? I have a much smaller black cross-body, but I wasn't sure if a crossbody was too casual.
IMG_1668.JPG

So sorry to bombard everyone with questions but here they are:

Are these shoes too "fashion-y"? They're fairly comfortable, but I can find different ones if I need to.

Also, I'm guessing this bag is too large? I have a much smaller black cross-body, but I wasn't sure if a crossbody was too casual.

I vote no on the shoes. They're cute, but the hardware makes them too casual for a professional interview. Try to find a pair of basic black leather/vegan leather pumps if you can.

The style of the purse is perfect, but it might err slightly on the side of too large. That said, I know the professionals in this thread have emphasized that smaller bags are better, but I've been seeing a wide range of bag sizes on my interview trail. I've seen women carry everything from nothing to totes to small cross-body bags, and nobody looked out of place. They were all fairly conservative in style, however - black or brown leather with minimal detailing. If it's all you've got, you're probably fine. If you look put together otherwise, I don't think a large bag will really hurt you. You may choose to put it in the luggage storage room before your interview, but carry it with you the rest of your interview day.

It is because vanity sizing is out of control. I guess they think women will buy more if they trick us into thinking "OMG I'm a size 2!!!!" when 15 years ago that size 2 would have been a size 6 (and would have been an 8 or 10 in the 1980s!). Women in plus sizes have it the worst - some plus size lines/retailers make up their own absurd sizing schemes where a standard 14 is a "00" or something like that. It just feels patronizing, to be honest!

I vote for a transition to measurements-based sizing, like the fellas.

Question about purses. Can I carry this with me during the interview day or should I store it in the luggage room inside my suitcase? Do they give you time prior to the actual interview portion to store it and/or would it be a faux pas to bring it into an interview room (or MMI)? First interview coming up soon and suddenly feeling unsure about details like this. Thanks!

I’m 5’3 and I feel you about sizing. Ann Taylor has pretty extensive petite sizing for suits online! Blazers never fit me right but the petite blazer and pants I bought from Ann Taylor fit me pretty well!

I'm interviewing on the east coast next week and apparently it will be raining on both of my scheduled dates. Does anyone have advice regarding shoes or raincoats? I currently have small heels but am worried about the weather. Being from CA I only have a black peacoat (above knee) and umbrella; do I need to get a more professional looking coat?

I'm interviewing on the east coast next week and apparently it will be raining on both of my scheduled dates. Does anyone have advice regarding shoes or raincoats? I currently have small heels but am worried about the weather. Being from CA I only have a black peacoat (above knee) and umbrella; do I need to get a more professional looking coat?
i just wore my heels in the rain so i don't have shoe advice, but the peacoat and umbrella sound perfectly professional to me!

Is this suit too much ankle? I'm on the smaller side so I hate the look of wider leg trousers on me.

Sorry if this has been asked already but I would like to know what type of shoes and coat to wear for a January interview, this place gets very cold (5-10 degrees with negative windchill) and it might snow? Should I get Chelsea boots for these or wear my snow boots then change to pumps at the interview? For the coats can I wear my north face with a hoodie or should I get a more formal coat and wear a bunch of layers under my suit and a scarf? I'll be flying with just a carryon and don't want to overpack. Thank you!

Sorry if this has been asked already but I would like to know what type of shoes and coat to wear for a January interview, this place gets very cold (5-10 degrees with negative windchill) and it might snow? Should I get Chelsea boots for these or wear my snow boots then change to pumps at the interview? For the coats can I wear my north face with a hoodie or should I get a more formal coat and wear a bunch of layers under my suit and a scarf? I'll be flying with just a carryon and don't want to overpack. Thank you!

Are you wearing a skirted suit or pantsuit? With a skirted suit, I like the snow boots + pumps option. With a pantsuit, you could wear dress boots.

There's some flexibility on the coat. If you're from Florida and are interviewing in Minnesota, don't buy a new coat just for the interview, and make a light-hearted but upbeat joke about having to get used to the weather instead. (I'm assuming the 'hoodie' refers to part of the Northface coat and not a zippered sweatshirt underneath? If you mean a hoodie hoodie, then that's not appropriate even from Florida...) If you're from Boston though, you should already have an appropriate winter coat, so would get less leeway.

There are many, many appropriate and inexpensive options available used on eBay or Goodwill if it would make you feel more comfortable,

Are you wearing a skirted suit or pantsuit? With a skirted suit, I like the snow boots + pumps option. With a pantsuit, you could wear dress boots.

There's some flexibility on the coat. If you're from Florida and are interviewing in Minnesota, don't buy a new coat just for the interview, and make a light-hearted but upbeat joke about having to get used to the weather instead. (I'm assuming the 'hoodie' refers to part of the Northface coat and not a zippered sweatshirt underneath? If you mean a hoodie hoodie, then that's not appropriate even from Florida...) If you're from Boston though, you should already have an appropriate winter coat, so would get less leeway.

There are many, many appropriate and inexpensive options available used on eBay or Goodwill if it would make you feel more comfortable,
I'm wearing a pant suit, and okay I'll get the dress boat. My coats are bulky and don't look "professional" so I wanted to get one that could keep me warm and also fit the look. Thank you for your suggestions, I'll look on eBay now.

Thank you for this thread! It has been so so helpful as I get ready for my interview!

I have two quick questions:
- I have four ear piercings, most of which are difficult to remove. They are in pairs, and I have professional earrings in each of them (small diamond studs) but I am worried about it still coming across as unprofessional. Am I overthinking this?
- It's going to dip to below freezing when I'm at my interview and I have a down jacket that is borderline puffer (it's not super puffy, but if it was fluffier it would probably look like one). Is it worth it for me to get a new coat before my interview?

Thank you for this thread! It has been so so helpful as I get ready for my interview!

I have two quick questions:
- I have four ear piercings, most of which are difficult to remove. They are in pairs, and I have professional earrings in each of them (small diamond studs) but I am worried about it still coming across as unprofessional. Am I overthinking this?
- It's going to dip to below freezing when I'm at my interview and I have a down jacket that is borderline puffer (it's not super puffy, but if it was fluffier it would probably look like one). Is it worth it for me to get a new coat before my interview?

The safest advice is always going to be to remove nontraditional piercings. however, n=1 but I chose not to remove my cartilage piercing (forward helix) at most of my interviews (only took it out for USUHS) and it didn't seem to hurt me. My piercing is relatively subtle though, so more noticeable ones may be more of an issue. For what its worth, many med students, residents, and attendings at my institution have all kinds of piercings and I've never seen anyone bat an eye (unless it's like a huge septum piece or massive plugs or something).

Hi everyone,
Ive been casually browsing this thread for some time, but I have some more specific questions.
- Are heels a must? Heels kill my feet and my interviews are in the winter...would matte leather flats be acceptable?
- And is a fancy coat a must for a jacket? I only have one winter coat, and buying another just for the outdoor portion of the interview seems absurd. I may even bring a hat and stash it in my purse bc cold really affects me, badly. I will take off my outwear inside anyway...Here is a pic of my jacket.

Attachments

• C1165E2F-6D21-4FE6-BDF8-7C8C2D267A03.jpeg
    C1165E2F-6D21-4FE6-BDF8-7C8C2D267A03.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 94
Hi everyone,
Ive been casually browsing this thread for some time, but I have some more specific questions.
- Are heels a must? Heels kill my feet and my interviews are in the winter...would matte leather flats be acceptable?
- And is a fancy coat a must for a jacket? I only have one winter coat, and buying another just for the outdoor portion of the interview seems absurd. I may even bring a hat and stash it in my purse bc cold really affects me, badly. I will take off my outwear inside anyway...Here is a pic of my jacket.

I've seen many people wear flats rather than heels, and I think matte > patent so you should be fine!
Also, I recently went to an interview where people had winter coats, and many wore ones similar to yours. Your coat looks nice, and I don't think it's necessary to buy a new long peacoat just for the interview. Not a pro here, but just giving advice based on what I've seen at recent interviews in cold east coat cities.

I've seen many people wear flats rather than heels, and I think matte > patent so you should be fine!
Also, I recently went to an interview where people had winter coats, and many wore ones similar to yours. Your coat looks nice, and I don't think it's necessary to buy a new long peacoat just for the interview. Not a pro here, but just giving advice based on what I've seen at recent interviews in cold east coat cities.
I think your assesment is accurate. Professionalism is important, but safety and practicality are more important. A med school interview is a unique situation where you have your professional clothes for inside, but there is a outdoor tour of the campus as part of the interview day, meaning you will need outerwear.

Also, are logos that big of a deal? I bought this very nice, small purse on Blackfriday as a treat, bc I literally keep purses for like five years so splurging on a nice one makes sense. Its an MK purse, and the logo is printed all over it. Is that a deal breaker? Here it is, pictured below. Hand for scale.

Attachments

• 43657064-C23B-4584-8622-9792DDE5D7DD.jpeg
    43657064-C23B-4584-8622-9792DDE5D7DD.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 125
I think your assesment is accurate. Professionalism is important, but safety and practicality are more important. A med school interview is a unique situation where you have your professional clothes for inside, but there is a outdoor tour of the campus as part of the interview day, meaning you will need outerwear.

Also, are logos that big of a deal? I bought this very nice, small purse on Blackfriday as a treat, bc I literally keep purses for like five years so splurging on a nice one makes sense. Its an MK purse, and the logo is printed all over it. Is that a deal breaker? Here it is, pictured below. Hand for scale.

A purse covered in logos is not a good choice for an interview. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something simple that matches your suit and shoes.

A purse covered in logos is not a good choice for an interview. It doesn't have to be expensive, just something simple that matches your suit and shoes.
( Ironically, that requires buying a new purse that would mean I need to spend more money than otherwise- but I see what you mean. New pursy-purse it is).