Writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bddsgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

So lets make a study plan and study together.

God Bless All of Us

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everybody, i am new in this group and i need help from you guys! i am going to take the ndb1 in decvember 18, and this is my 2nd time, i am trying to study 3 hours per day, is that enough?, and also with what subject should i begin to study?, thanks everybody for your help, !

Hello everybody, i am new in this group and i need help from you guys! i am going to take the ndb1 in decvember 18, and this is my 2nd time, i am trying to study 3 hours per day, is that enough?, and also with what subject should i begin to study?, thanks everybody for your help, !

HI!
your exam dates are getting closer and i think you need to put in more hours of study.Depends on each person.Some may start with the difficult subject and others might start with the easy ones to get a hang of it.So whatever works for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi bddsgirl,i went over some questions ,i realized that the decks were not enough to answer questions .do u think i have to go over first aid or just review more Q and go over the decks again?my exam is mid nov. im mixed up cause first aid is alot and im sacared that i could not review it if i even could go over it once.without review means nothing.

HI,

I know just decks are not enough.....they are just for additional knowledge.....you should only use them for additional knowledge.............and revision is the key to success...........you should revise watever you read

hey guys.just joined the tribe. me too giving it a shot in nov.. just about a month left..

hey bddsgirl... really impressed at your dedication.. read all ur posts.i like yr determination. i hav been slogging out like crazy for the past 2 months..i hav been sincere with my decks. biochem from text book as u did..still hav half of biochem and the whole of path left.not much into text books.doing a decks and first aid and lecture vidoes. u think its possible to crack it without a lot of text books.. and which text books u actually using??

HI ddsms,

Since you are writing ur test in Nov., so I think this is not the time to start studying the test books now......I personally wanted to go through my all text books because it was long time back when i read them last, almost 7-8 years, so I read them......and I have no idea of cracking it.....because I have seen a lot of people who got very good scores and did not read the text books........

So, it does not matter....I think whatever you read, read it honestly.....I personally think first-aid is just an organized version of decks........

and now at this time when we have so less time left, we shud concentrate more on revision than trying new things.....

I am using Wheelers for DA, and all other all my text books from India by Indian authors.....

Hi everyone,

So how is everyone doing now......I am done with Micro and Pathology at last .......read thoroughly from my books and did dental decks........revised them.......

Now I will be solving the ASDA questions for micro-patho........and see where I stand......

I will be starting Anatomy and Histo from 1st of October.......I hope to finish it in 20-25 days........

Micro-Patho was such a vast subject.......I was so nervous in the beginning since I did not remember anything....but now I am a bit confident about these..........

So, guys what are you doing now-a-days..........

We should buck up now and give our best shot......

Happy Studying to all of u......

hey bddsgirl.. thanks a bunch for replying.. yup thats true.. too late for text books.. stuck to biochem... its torturous... cant get myself to turn next the pg. doing it from biochem text book from india and decks...any tips to finish it fast and neat.????

and all u guys studying hard.. just want to wish goodluck..:)
and god bless

hey everyone.. one question.. my ece evalution is still not done... its 4weeks already..wanted to ask ideally how many months before do we need to book a slot for the exam??? plz reply... people taking exam in nov.. wen did u guys book????..

hey bddsgirl.. thanks a bunch for replying.. yup thats true.. too late for text books.. stuck to biochem... its torturous... cant get myself to turn next the pg. doing it from biochem text book from india and decks...any tips to finish it fast and neat.????

and all u guys studying hard.. just want to wish goodluck..:)
and god bless

Hi,

I think if you study biochemistry, absorption, digestion and metabolism together of CHOs, proteins and lipids......it would be easier.....and you dont need to do all the chapters in that book.......just enzymes, nucleic acids, prostaglandins, proteins, CHOs and lipids are important............well dont worry about the time.........just prepare well watever you study........no use of rushing ahead and then by the end of the day you dont remember anything............it took me 25 days for biochem.............

Good Luck!!!

hi does any one of you have info dat ppl appearing in nov dec can also retake if they apply b4 25 dec...
i received this info thru mail from ada...
if any of you too knw bot this plzz leave a reply

thanks..!

hey thanks a bunch bddsgirl...:) just wanted to ask how many months bAck did u book ur date? wen are u giving ur exam? me left with path to study.. and want to start with full fledged papers from oct15.. wat abt u wat are u studying now....

Hello,everyone. i am new member in here i graduated in 2007 and planing to take the NBDE part 1 in march.I bought the dental decks,kaplan cds 2009.But my biggest problem is that i forgot most of the informatiom about all the subjects,cos i was just concentating on work Mon to Sat. from 7 till 19 working like a machine.So pls.advice me how to make a plane,and how long u thing i need to study,will it be enough till march?Any advices will be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ddsms,

I booked my date back in May 2009.............I am writing my test on Nov. 26 , 2009............THE BIG DAY !!!

I am left with Anatomy now....... Right now I am doing Question Papers for Micro-Patho

When is your test?

Hi Guys,

How are you all doing? I hope all are doing their best......

I just want to ask you guys how much do you score on ASDA Papers........

I am doing Micro-Patho papers.............and I am scoring around 85-89............I am not very happy with this score.......so if you guys have any idea about what should be our score on ASDA to cross that 90 in our test then please share it here........

Hi ,

I wish you all the best for your preparation.......i think you got sufficient....i wont say enough........time .....but try to plan your studies.......day by day....what you want to study every day and try to finish it according to your schedule..........

also try to study at least 7-8 hours in the beginning and as you get into it increase it to 10 hours every day.......

all the best

Hey Dentical,

I know it is so hard to manage a baby and study.....I can totally understand....but dont worry even I am not getting much time to study these days.....so I think we will increase the hours slowly......so hopefully you finish your Physio by the end of this month....

I am still revising Physio...did Cardio and respiration today......have to revise whole Physio and Biochem by the end of this month......

I am starting Micro next....wat subject are you starting next?
l need to study nbde 1 and donot how to start

Hey Dentical,

I know it is so hard to manage a baby and study.....I can totally understand....but dont worry even I am not getting much time to study these days.....so I think we will increase the hours slowly......so hopefully you finish your Physio by the end of this month....

I am still revising Physio...did Cardio and respiration today......have to revise whole Physio and Biochem by the end of this month......

I am starting Micro next....wat subject are you starting next?

l need to study nbde 1 and donot how to start
need to know which books , what r the exam date that is available,,,, am having baby and donot know what to do

l need to know what books to start studing nbde1,,,, and amhaving baby and donot know how to start.... when r the dates aviable to enter the exam..... really wish to get answers to my questions cos l feel so much lonely

l need to know what books to start studing nbde1,,,, and amhaving baby and donot know how to start.... when r the dates aviable to enter the exam..... really wish to get answers to my questions cos l feel so much lonely

Allalone.....your post reminds me Micheal jacksons "You are not alone, iam there with you" !! Which is indeed true .
Well first of all chalk out a plan for your self as to when do u plan on taking the nbde 1 .
Get started with the dental decks, kaplan nbde review book and get hold of all the asda released question papers from the past years and get going from there. Keep your self positive , remember this is no rocket science at all, its just that we have to get used to answering mcqs which is time bound. Wish you good luck and:thumbup: I would love to help you in any way I can .
Take care .

hi bddsgirl...
my BIG DAY is on the 23rd nov.. just abt 45 days left..
me still with biochem still hav path left..then will get onto papers... released papers till which year are u doing?

Hey,

All of you folks who are writing NBDE Part 1 in November/December 2009, come and share your knowledge. I have just started my preparation in May.

I did my Graduation in 2007 from India. So the subjects I m studying now were studied by me 5-6 years back.

God Bless All of Us

hi i'm planning to retake it in Nov\Dec too interested in studyin together and helpin each other to get goel!!! this is my chattin id add me.... [email protected]
good luck to all of us

hi bddsgirl...
my BIG DAY is on the 23rd nov.. just abt 45 days left..
me still with biochem still hav path left..then will get onto papers... released papers till which year are u doing?

Hi,

Vow!!! Mine is on 26th Nov........I am getting nervous!!!

I am doing all the series of ASDA I-A to I-N

I hope all of you guys are preparing very well now...........these are the last deciding days now........I just pray to god that we get our full concentration in studies now...........

Buck up guys!!!

Good Luck

Happy Studying

Hi,

Vow!!! Mine is on 26th Nov........I am getting nervous!!!

I am doing all the series of ASDA I-A to I-N

I hope all of you guys are preparing very well now...........these are the last deciding days now........I just pray to god that we get our full concentration in studies now...........

Buck up guys!!!

Good Luck

Happy Studying
Wow! all the best.

hi bdsgirl
i just got my gpa
can anyone help me my comprehensive score is 1.6
and best result is 2.82
can u tell me which one u have to consider?
am i eligible to write the exam
plz reply asap
thanks in advance:oops:

Hey,

God Bless All of Us

hey hi bddsgirl

am writing nov 20 , how s ur preparation going on... am nervous... s t first time for u... for me 1st time

just done with dental anat .. now doing bio d physio

how should i go about from here

:confused:

Please could someone help me with getting pages 448 and 449 of lipincott which is on DNA Cloning.
Any kind of help will be appreciated.
Thank You.

hey hi bddsgirl

am writing nov 20 , how s ur preparation going on... am nervous... s t first time for u... for me 1st time

just done with dental anat .. now doing bio d physio

how should i go about from here

:confused:

Hi Daisy,

Yes I am writing it for the first time too......and mine is on Nov 26.........

I am just finishing with Anatomy.......left with Musculoskelatal and Neuroanatomy......Hope to finish these in 2 days.......

And then I am going to do ASDA Papers.......

So, are you doing revisions now? I would suggest to do as much revision as you can...........

Because you cant retain until you revise.....

I am going to start revision from 1st of Nov. after I am done with Anatomy........

Good Luck

Hi,everyone!
Can i try to pass the NBDE part 1 in December? I didn't evaluation my diploma yet and didn't book... I did dental decks 2009-2010 and released exams. Is it enough for good score? Thank you!

Hello everyone, how is everybody doing?
I am planning to take it on decem, the reason for that is that if i didnt score good, i would have another chance to apply for retakeing it before 2010, but the problem that i started studyin in october so basiclly i have only 2 months iam studying 3-5 hours a day, i started anato/phyiso at the same time, and almost finish, then iam starting dental anatomy for 1 week, then 1 week for bio, patho, micro, and the last 10 days will be reveiw and tests and decks, what u think is that will be enough, give me ur opinion? should i be more specific, time is running, thanks to every body, god help u all.:thumbup: keep it up guys.

Hello everyone, how is everybody doing?
I am planning to take it on decem, the reason for that is that if i didnt score good, i would have another chance to apply for retakeing it before 2010, but the problem that i started studyin in october so basiclly i have only 2 months iam studying 3-5 hours a day, i started anato/phyiso at the same time, and almost finish, then iam starting dental anatomy for 1 week, then 1 week for bio, patho, micro, and the last 10 days will be reveiw and tests and decks, what u think is that will be enough, give me ur opinion? should i be more specific, time is running, thanks to every body, god help u all.:thumbup: keep it up guys.

Hey Dentsam,
Just my 2 cents on this, am not anybody who knows much more than you do, but i presume the exam aims more at checking the basics, the syllabus itself specifies , questions on basic concepts . So at the end of your plan if you feel, you would have retained all that you did study for the past 2-3 months, then thumbs up !
this score is gonna stay on ur resume lifelong .on the brighter side of it..........the longer you postpone....the more relaxed study pattern , that might adversely affect too......

so how determined you are is what you should question yourself .
Goodluck !

Hi Dentsam,

I agree with truthseeker on this.......It all depends on your determination......

I will give you an example......I planned to study Anatomy, Histology and Embryology in the month of October.....and devoted whole 31 days to these subjects.........But then I had some problems at home and could not study at all for the first 16 days..........and I was so much depressed after 16 days because I was lagging behind my schedule for whole 16 days...............

But then left with no other choice, I picked up my books and studied with full determination and finished all those subjects from my text books, did the dental decks for Anatomy, Did Kaplan Anatomy.............in just 14 days!!!

So, the plan I made for 31 days, I was able to finish it in 13 days!!!

So, it really depends on how we study.......because NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE !!!

We all CAN do it...............and we WILL do it......

So , Good Luck

Okay guys,

How is everyone doing now...........
I am finally done with Anatomy and basically every other subject now............Text Books, Decks, and Kaplan for Anatomy.............Just left with some ASDA Papers for Anatomy....will do them today and tomorrow........

And now the revision part begins...

Just left with 25 days now.....

I am panning to revise each subject in 3 days.....

So starting with Microbiology........I will revise it on 1st, 2nd and 3rd of November......

What are you guys doing now???

hey bddsgirl
how u doin,,, iam done from anatomy from 2 months and now iam into bio ,,well iam rtyin to remeber somthin from anatomy but i barely can ,,,do u think its really possible to revise anatomy in 3 or 4 days need advice here,,
thanks!

Hi wadent,

If you did anatomy very thoroughly 2 months back, then I think it is possible to revise Anatomy in 4 -5 days. I am done with anatomy now.....and now I plan to revise it in 5 days in my revision plan....................

hey ,,thanks 4 da reply !!!
well yes i made it studied it 3 months back but till this moment i didnt review it and my exam is in mid dec. bec. now iam still in bio-physio ,,hope that ill have plenty of time,,well thanks for ur reply !!! i appreciate it

Hello everone, thanks bddsgirls and Truth seeker, u guys make me feel better, dds girl that was amazing what u did in 2 weeks, but the problem iam having here is that the i forget what i had studied 5 years ago, Eventhough, till now I have finished both Anatomy and physiology, and now iam almost done with dental anatomy, but I didnt go far in the decks and old tests, hope I will get time to do them before november 30, so how is everyone doing so far, keep us updated with ur efforts, also after u done with ur test, please tell us how was it? and how u did, good luck every bodyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Hey Dentsam,

I know it is hard to recollect everything after so many years...... Even I did my graduation in 2006.........and so I studied anatomy actually 7-8 years back.........and all other subjects.....the same thing............

But now we shouldnt look back and count those years......all we should do is to concentrate on our test now...........which is not very far now.......

I will be done with Micro revision tonight.............moving on to Physiology tomorrow......will revise it in next three days............

so Happy studying to all of us..........

its getting tiresome.Reading the same stuff,forgetting it,reading it all over again...the exam dates are getting closer.Sometimes the motivation level goes down.God!help me.Hows everyone else doing?

Virology..........ahhhhhh GOD knows how i'l remember........
i jus finished once and i gotta re-do it......I have no clue how much i retain
I gotta finish Micro soon and jump to Pathology.......in 2 days......

i dunno if i'l end up enough time for revision....lagging behind.
kudos bddsgirl !

we always learn thinsg hard way...........i hope we all study hard and real hard and just get there......

To all test takers, before you take exam:

1. Go through the dental decks at least 3 times. Read every sentence. Understand everything said on the dental deck and try to MEMORIZE them.

2. Go through all the ASDA papers twice except last two. Leave them for your last weeks for a real test practice. Spend two days find a quiet place and use the timer, just like you are in a test center. Mentally this will help you to feel better when you take the real 7-hours test.

3. Spend at least 3-4 days go through all the questions you did wrong. Find out your weakest link and go through them again before the exam.

Good luck!

Focus on ADSA papers. There are many questions repeated again and again.

its getting tiresome.Reading the same stuff,forgetting it,reading it all over again...the exam dates are getting closer.Sometimes the motivation level goes down.God!help me.Hows everyone else doing?

Focus on ADSA papers. There are many questions repeated again and again.

thanks for your guidance.
can u pls specify last 2 papers meaning ?
also.....do u think 70s n 80s released ASDA papers help?

wats ur score and when did u take it ?

Last two recent papers released by ADA. Find a quite place, use the timer. Do one test in 7 consecutive hours (30 minute lunch break). This helps you to have a true feeling how the real exam is.

70s and 80s paper are very helpful too, especially Anatomy and Dental Anatomy since the knowledge of these two sections hasn't changed for decades.

From 80s to nowadays, the biggest change is microbiology and immunology. Medicine has changed so fast that many knowledge from 80s are outdated. For example, HIV, Hepatitis C and D, Molecular Biology technique (question related to DNA ligase, restriction enzyme, etc). T cell, B cell, MHC, etc, those concepts have dramatically evolved. So be aware that the Microbiology, pathology, physiology, biochemistry are kinda outdated.

Still, those papers are good. Much better than the qbanks. If you don't have too much time, focus on ASDA papers, no matter which year they are.

Last edited:
thanks

also can u please highlight.
in Microbiology........the tables....do we need to know in and out of it

i mean............say in virology.....which viruses are enveloped and how many stranded, plus the nucleocapsid symmetry.......will that much suffice, i really dunno how to get the (+) / (-) sense and shapes.......is that imp , is all i need to know. Also, Kaplan discusses imp parasites/ protozoa and virus from exam perspective.......is that much enough. Pathology -where did you do that from ?