WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
However, my advice, STRONG advice is wait it out through your first semester. I promise it'll be harder and more rigorous than you expect and that'll give you an idea of testing schedules, how much time you need to study etc. Passing your classes HAS to be your first priority. :)

Thanks Abnerrs! That's the advice I've heard repeated a lot as I asked questions so I'll definitely be sure to follow it!

I'm just excited because I always knew I wanted to have some sort of part time job during school to offset some of the costs, but I always figured I'd have to either fight to the death with other students for a position at a local clinic or enter the food service industry or something. Of course this is all reliant on my actually getting in, but it's nice to know my options. :happy:

Edit: Oh Caiter, you replied when I wasn't looking. Thank you too for your response, I feel more assured that I can have more hands on experience and financial stability while in vet school. And I definitely won't be trying it my first semester now.

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the jobs are 1-2x a week, 4-6 hours per shift (at least in the SA ICU, where most of my friends have jobs). But seriously, wait. There were a lot of openings this semester again so you can easily get one later.

We have three 2nd years and my boss limits them to 2-4 hours a week. She doesn't want them to juggle too much on top of school. So, at least in my department, a school job will help pay for gas, but that's about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't wait to hear about more acceptances... good luck everyone waiting on a call!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait to hear about more acceptances... good luck everyone waiting on a call!!!
Thanks for the good spirits, I'm not very hopeful at this point. I know someone with the same initials as myself who got called yesterday. Of course we're just assuming they did ABC order by last name. I have no idea how long it would take them to call 50-60 IS people. :shrug:

Last edited:
We have three 2nd years and my boss limits them to 2-4 hours a week. She doesn't want them to juggle too much on top of school. So, at least in my department, a school job will help pay for gas, but that's about it.
Yeah, it's going to be really hard to actually cover any major living expenses. The most I know of any of my classmates working is 10 hours a week, and most positions at the school pay like $10 an hour. It'll definitely help a bit, but you're still going to have to rely on loans for most things.

Yeah, it's going to be really hard to actually cover any major living expenses. The most I know of any of my classmates working is 10 hours a week, and most positions at the school pay like $10 an hour. It'll definitely help a bit, but you're still going to have to rely on loans for most things.
Minimum wage increased so now we get $11 ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I've started perusing the various housing options and am curious if any of you current WSU folks have any suggestions. It seems one can find some less expensive rental options outside of Pullman, itself - especially Palouse and Colfax. Mapquest claims it's just a 20 minute. Not having spent much time out that way, is that a practical option? How often does bad weather impede that commute?

I've started perusing the various housing options and am curious if any of you current WSU folks have any suggestions. It seems one can find some less expensive rental options outside of Pullman, itself - especially Palouse and Colfax. Mapquest claims it's just a 20 minute. Not having spent much time out that way, is that a practical option? How often does bad weather impede that commute?
Personally I don't find Pullman that expensive. I pay $525/month for a pet friendly one bedroom that includes all my utilities (including hot water) but electric. The school will send out housing ads soon, and leasing companies will start advertising more soon.

But, I do know people who live in both those areas. It's doable, but it can take longer if the weather is bad. I live two miles away from school and when the snow was bad it took me forty minutes, so if roads aren't plowed it can get bad. And Palouse is more like 30 minutes normally in my experience.

Look at Moscow too. It tends to be a bit cheaper than Pullman as well, but isn't quite as far.

The highway is usually okay, maybe ten minutes slower with bad conditions, but in-town driving can really suck. Moscow is better at snow removal than Pullman is. I live on the far side of Moscow and work in Pullman. It's 15-20 minutes on a good day, 30 or more with snow, ice, or heavy rain. It's doable but if you're someone who likes to leave the house at the last possible minute (like me. . . ) it means a bit of stress and always feeling like you're running late.

Moscow is a cute town, and I do prefer it to Pullman. If I was going to school I would move though. I know how I am with early mornings, and I know I'd be running late a lot. It would be worth it, to me, to pay a bit more and have a shorter commute.

Good information to have! I grew up in the deep south (Louisiana) so all this white fluffy stuff is still completely new. I know how to do flooding, thunderstorms and hurricanes.

I'll keep an eye out on the information they send. It's certainly much more reasonable than over here. Thanks for the info! It's all very exciting

Reactions: 2 users
Ditto.

a) Wait a while before getting a job. The first semester was easy for me studying wise, but it took time to adapt, make new friends, figure out how to adjust my study methods. There are plenty of vet school related jobs once you're there, don't rush in. I got my job at the end of first semester, held it steady for a while and switched to a shift filler when things got too hectic.

b) I lived on the west edge of Moscow and the roads were generally as fine as anything else. There are no real hills on the commute and my little car always made it in. Even with the mass of snow (just get good studded tires). I much preferred Moscow over Pullman and would do it again. But spend a long weekend in town and see what you like.

c) Trailers are a good option (either rent or buy) and they're pretty popular with vet students. There are nice parks that feel like a residential neighborhood -- and then there are parks that feel like trailer parks. I had a trailer. Sold it to another vet student. Who sold it to another vet student. (For real, 3rd gen vet student in there! I feel like I started a Harry Potter type of system where my trailer is Gryffindor) Late Feb, March, April are prime times to look for the best selection.

(Edit: I also spent some time living in cities, so a 15 minute drive on an open road with little traffic hardly felt like a commute to me. A commute is spending an hour in gridlock while everyone honks at each other ;) )

Something to consider too is that during 4th year you have to be within 30 min when on call so that's something to think about.

I refused to live outside of Pullman for 3 reasons.

1. I wanted to be able to run home and let my dogs out when possible (more often than not I can't during 4th year )
2. I don't give myself nearly enough time in the morning for a commute
3. I am a giant baby and didn't want to drive more than 10 min when on call lol

Something to consider too is that during 4th year you have to be within 30 min when on call so that's something to think about.

I refused to live outside of Pullman for 3 reasons.

1. I wanted to be able to run home and let my dogs out when possible (more often than not I can't during 4th year )
2. I don't give myself nearly enough time in the morning for a commute
3. I am a giant baby and didn't want to drive more than 10 min when on call lol

Oh yeah that makes sense if you have to let dogs out a lot. Way easier for that. I wouldn't go home during the day. My BFF gave her dog to her parents for 4th year so she wouldn't have to worry about it. I had a rabbit, so super low maintenance :)

I'd say most people live in Pullman and a handful are in Moscow and another handful in the Pullman outliers (Colfax, Albion, etc).

Members don't see this ad :)
Have anymore WA residents heard anything - acceptances or rejections?

I called in this morning and they let me know my status. They mailed rejection letters/waitlisters on Feb 8th so most likely getting those soon if that applies to you. Sounded like there was a slight chance people are still getting accepted though! I'm in the waitlisted category :(

I called in this morning and they let me know my status. They mailed rejection letters/waitlisters on Feb 8th so most likely getting those soon if that applies to you. Sounded like there was a slight chance people are still getting accepted though! I'm in the waitlisted category :(

Was this for both IS and OOS?

she told me 2 weeks as well and I was in the last interview group so 2 weeks is actually this Friday! I'm hoping that means they will definitely come out this week!

she told me 2 weeks as well and I was in the last interview group so 2 weeks is actually this Friday! I'm hoping that means they will definitely come out this week!
I was in the last group as well! I really hope we find out Friday.

I wonder if they'll do phone calls for OOS acceptances like they did for IS. The wait is torture haha.

hey guys- I'm IS and just got my waitlist letter in the mail today but I'm not gonna count on getting accepted... Looks like I'll be heading to Edinburgh Scotland in the fall! Many mixed feels but wish all you guys who are waiting good luck and congrats to those already accepted!!

Hey are there any clean, non-smoking (of any sort), clean, responsible, clean guys looking for a roommate in Pullman for this year?

Ok, it's officially been 2 weeks for me, time for the obsessive phone/e-mail/mail checking to ramp up a notch. :nailbiting:

Ok, it's officially been 2 weeks for me, time for the obsessive phone/e-mail/mail checking to ramp up a notch. :nailbiting:
Omg my stomach fell out of my butt when I saw this notification. I thought people started hearing back.

I can't wait anymore. I'm giving my self an ulcer hahaha :scared:

Omg my stomach fell out of my butt when I saw this notification. I thought people started hearing back.

I can't wait anymore. I'm giving my self an ulcer hahaha :scared:

Sorry for the scare, but at least we're in the same boat together. :highfive:

/goes back to looking out for mail carrier:peeking:

I was called at ~1:30 PM PST and offered admission!
OOS California :)

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations @SleepingBuddha!

Oh boy, now I'm not going to let my phone out of my sight!

Hmm, judging by this past post:

OOS - Just received an interview invitation for January, 30!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

It seems SleepingBuddha got a reply 17 days after his interview.

(By the way I hope that my answering the question isn't too presumptuous or anything. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds or anything.)

(By the way I hope that my answering the question isn't too presumptuous or anything. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds or anything.)
I think we're just both really nervous waiting for a call!

I really hope they're going by interview date. I interviewed on Feb 3rd.

Hi guys!! I got my acceptance call today at 4:30PM Eastern Time! I'm across the country in RI. If anyone wants to look into pet friendly housing, I'll be looking for a roommate! Congrats to everyone who got in!

Reactions: 1 users

I am completely fine with this and thank you for saving me the time :)

Out of curiosity, have anyone else who was accepted received any information about a deposit? I haven't seen anything and assume that info is coming later, but I wanted to make sure I haven't missed it.

Out of curiosity, have anyone else who was accepted received any information about a deposit? I haven't seen anything and assume that info is coming later, but I wanted to make sure I haven't missed it.
Unless things have changed this year, no deposit :)

When you guys reference the portal, you're talking about the link for your account to complete the supplemental application right? I checked mine today (OOS) and it just says my application is complete and under review at the top of the first page after you sign in. Just trying to confirm I'm looking in the right place!

When you guys reference the portal, you're talking about the link for your account to complete the supplemental application right? I checked mine today (OOS) and it just says my application is complete and under review at the top of the first page after you sign in. Just trying to confirm I'm looking in the right place!
Yup! It only changes with emails though, so it's not terribly useful. :)

Does anyone know if all OOS acceptances went out? Sorry to keep bothering the thread.

Does anyone know if all OOS acceptances went out? Sorry to keep bothering the thread.
I am also out of state (interviewed on Jan 30th), and haven't heard anything. I saw a few OOS on here say they'd been called a few days ago, I think last week, and I'm assuming I didn't get accepted. I thought someone here said that if you hadn't heard anything in 2-3 weeks post-interview you could callto find out your status. I haven't yet but if you do and they tell you, let me know!

I am also out of state (interviewed on Jan 30th), and haven't heard anything. I saw a few OOS on here say they'd been called a few days ago, I think last week, and I'm assuming I didn't get accepted. I thought someone here said that if you hadn't heard anything in 2-3 weeks post-interview you could callto find out your status. I haven't yet but if you do and they tell you, let me know!
Thanks for the response @JLZ! I also interviewed on Jan. 30th and figured since I didn't hear back last week I probably didn't get in. I emailed Rebecca for a status update so I'll post again as soon as I hear back.

Thanks for the response @JLZ! I also interviewed on Jan. 30th and figured since I didn't hear back last week I probably didn't get in. I emailed Rebecca for a status update so I'll post again as soon as I hear back.
I was going a little nuts last week because I didn't know if they only called acceptances that one day only so, I called. Rebecca told me letters went out on Friday and if we don't hear back by the end of this week, to give her a call. She didn't tell me that all calls were finished on one day, she just said we'll all hear in one way or another.