WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was going a little nuts last week because I didn't know if they only called acceptances that one day only so, I called. Rebecca told me letters went out on Friday and if we don't hear back by the end of this week, to give her a call. She didn't tell me that all calls were finished on one day, she just said we'll all hear in one way or another.

That is both informative and yet also cryptic! I wonder why they would call some students but not others. Gah! The inconsistency is driving me nuts. My SO thinks they might have called those with stellar stats first to see if they have accepted elsewhere, and go down the list from there if they have. I guess that is possible. But I'm not sure how many of us frequent this forum to begin with-maybe that's also the reason for the low number of OOS offers we've heard?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is both informative and yet also cryptic! I wonder why they would call some students but not others. Gah! The inconsistency is driving me nuts. My SO thinks they might have called those with stellar stats first to see if they have accepted elsewhere, and go down the list from there if they have. I guess that is possible. But I'm not sure how many of us frequent this forum to begin with-maybe that's also the reason for the low number of OOS offers we've heard?
That is the same thing I was thinking! I wish she would have just let me know then and there instead of giving myself a heart attack every night I get to my mailbox haha.

I know. I thought it was strange to see very few people post but then again, as you said, how many of us are actually posting?

Either way, good luck to all of us waiting anxiously!

Reactions: 1 users
I could have sworn I saw a post on here before that they only call the acceptances and mail waitlists and rejections :(, Also keep in mind they mentioned they only accept up to 25 students. Which means they don't even have to accept 25, so overall that's a pretty low number, a good amount of them may not use SDN.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could have sworn I saw a post on here before that they only call the acceptances and mail waitlists and rejections :(, Also keep in mind they mentioned they only accept up to 25 students. Which means they don't even have to accept 25, so overall that's a pretty low number, a good amount of them may not use SDN.
They do move through their OOS waitlist quite a bit. I'm guessing they called a batch of ~20, and more people will be offered acceptances off the waitlist as people accept their IS seats or other schools.

I just called and found out I am wait listed OOS. I'm hoping the waitlist moves a lot, I wish they would tell us our spot on the waitlist!

That is the same thing I was thinking! I wish she would have just let me know then and there instead of giving myself a heart attack every night I get to my mailbox haha.

I know. I thought it was strange to see very few people post but then again, as you said, how many of us are actually posting?

Either way, good luck to all of us waiting anxiously!
I wonder who you spoke to? Rebecca told me she would email my letter so that I didnt have to wait any longer, found out my status just now!

I wonder who you spoke to? Rebecca told me she would email my letter so that I didnt have to wait any longer, found out my status just now!
I spoke to Rebecca! I'm going to call after my biochem quiz even though it's killing me right now to find out haha.

I just called and found out I am wait listed OOS. I'm hoping the waitlist moves a lot, I wish they would tell us our spot on the waitlist!
They don't rank the waitlist so unfortunately they can't tell you where you are on it. But that means they can pull from anywhere in the pool.

They don't rank the waitlist so unfortunately they can't tell you where you are on it. But that means they can pull from anywhere in the pool.

So basically, in a way, we are all number one on the waitlist, if we're lucky enough to be on it.

Hmm, should I call and ask? Or do you think it would bother them...

Just received my letter via email from Rebecca. OOS waitlisted.

Wait listed as well. There's still hope!

Did you guys hear via email or snail mail? I am in Maine so it tends to take forever for me to get my mail although I am assuming I am waitlisted/rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys hear via email or snail mail? I am in Maine so it tends to take forever for me to get my mail although I am assuming I am waitlisted/rejected
I called Rebecca and she emailed me my letter. She was very sweet!

I called Rebecca and she emailed me my letter. She was very sweet!
Ok thanks so much! I'll try that tomorrow cause the waiting is killing me especially since my mail doesn't even come to my actual apartment so I have to drive to my mailbox everyday

Ok, I was stressing about calling, but I called! I'm waitlisted, OOS. I sent Rebecca an email to ask how many are waitlisted and to see how quickly the list moves. So...not terrible news for me, but now it's two months of anxiety instead of two weeks!

Ok, I was stressing about calling, but I called! I'm waitlisted, OOS. I sent Rebecca an email to ask how many are waitlisted and to see how quickly the list moves. So...not terrible news for me, but now it's two months of anxiety instead of two weeks!
They probably won't be able to tell you how fast the list moves. It literally changes every year and it is like a giant moving chess board. And some years it doesn't move at all, some it's only 1 or 2 and some it's a ton. I know, I KNOW, I get it, you would like to know. But no one can really say

They probably won't be able to tell you how fast the list moves. It literally changes every year and it is like a giant moving chess board. And some years it doesn't move at all, some it's only 1 or 2 and some it's a ton. I know, I KNOW, I get it, you would like to know. But no one can really say

It's okay, I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask...I just wanted to see what she'd say. Thanks for your input : )

Finally got my letter emailed to me and I was waitlisted but I'm going to pull myself off of it so hopefully that'll help the list start to move. I'll be hoping for all the other waitlisties!!

I asked Rebecca how much the waitlist moves and she told me the waitlist isn't ranked, so when someone declines their acceptance they revisit everyone on the waitlist and then make a decision who to ask. She also said on average they only pull 5 people off the waitlist. Most likely I'm going to take an acceptance elsewhere and pull myself off the waitlist as well!

I asked Rebecca how much the waitlist moves and she told me the waitlist isn't ranked, so when someone declines their acceptance they revisit everyone on the waitlist and then make a decision who to ask. She also said on average they only pull 5 people off the waitlist. Most likely I'm going to take an acceptance elsewhere and pull myself off the waitlist as well!
Was this for the IS or OOS waitlist? 5 people sounds really low for OOS, so I'm curious.

I don't think it's all that low actually. My class had 2
Really? I was assuming it would be much higher, based on their class statistics. Last year they made 48 offers for OOS seats and admitted 14 students. I guess it depends on what % of students usually decline their offers - I was assuming the school would initially accept just slightly over the number of seats they have, and then go through their waitlist until they fill their seats. Maybe most of those 48 offers were initial acceptances though, not waitlist offers?

Last edited:
Really? I was assuming it would be much higher, based on their class statistics. Last year they made 48 offers for OOS seats and admitted 14 students. I guess it depends on what % of students usually decline their offers - I was assuming the school would initially accept just slightly over the number of seats they have, and then go through their waitlist until they filled their seats. Maybe most of those 48 offers were initial acceptances though, not waitlist offers?
I think they offer quite a bit to begin with. 2019 was like 5 over to begin with because more people accepted their spots than normal.

This was her exact response to me when I asked her as well, and she didn't respond to my question asking how many OOS applicants made up the waitlist, so I'm guessing they can't divulge that. I was also surprised at the low number that was pulled off the waitlist, considering the stats from last year, mentioned by @PrincessButterCup.

This was her exact response to me when I asked her as well, and she didn't respond to my question asking how many OOS applicants made up the waitlist, so I'm guessing they can't divulge that. I was also surprised at the low number that was pulled off the waitlist, considering the stats from last year, mentioned by @PrincessButterCup.
Agreed, they made it sound like they only initially offer as any seats as they actually want, then pull off the waitlist, but @Caiter92 might be right in that that's about how much they offer to start with.

So what's everyone's plans if they don't get in this cycle? Will you apply again, pursue another career, or go back to school? Curious to hear what you all have thought about doing.

No they accept slightly more than they have "spots" for (but will take everyone if they so happen to say yes, it's happened before when most people accepted the position) understanding that a large number won't take the seat because they've accepted elsewhere. That is why the waitlist doesn't usually move much.

But. There are years that it does.

So what's everyone's plans if they don't get in this cycle? Will you apply again, pursue another career, or go back to school? Curious to hear what you all have thought about doing.
I'm applying to PhD programs! I'm looking at infectious disease/immunology and pathology research. At first I was all gung-ho to throw together applications and apply ASAP, but I think I'll wait and apply when the next cycle opens this fall. It'll give me time to work on my application, and another gap year isn't the worse thing ever. I never wanted to be a clinical vet (I was interested in anatomic pathology) so this is actually a really similar career path.

I'm applying to PhD programs! I'm looking at infectious disease/immunology and pathology research. At first I was all gung-ho to throw together applications and apply ASAP, but I think I'll wait and apply when the next cycle opens this fall. It'll give me time to work on my application, and another gap year isn't the worse thing ever. I never wanted to be a clinical vet (I was interested in anatomic pathology) so this is actually a really similar career path.

If you get pulled off the waitlist though won't you accept it? But I'm happy for you for finding another amazing career path to pursue!

If you get pulled off the waitlist though won't you accept it? But I'm happy for you for finding another amazing career path to pursue!
No, I don't think so. It's been a weird few weeks. :laugh: I've always been so sure that vet school was the only path for me, but I wasn't accepted this year (my 2nd try) and I finally started to let myself consider other careers. Now I can't see myself going to vet school when I've found other options that are (shockingly!) a better fit for me. I've literally reversed 6 years of dreaming and planning in 4 weeks. ;)

I've always been really, really uncomfortable with vet school tuition, and planning a future without 100k + of debt is such a freeing feeling. I love science, and I love studying how everything fits together and how it can all go wrong, and the thing is, I don't need to be in a DVM program to do that. It helps that I never wanted to treat anything or do surgery or see patients, so I'm not going to miss that part of vet school. ;) I'd been planning to do my DVM, then go into a residency/PhD combined program. I don't know why it never occurred to me to just skip all the other parts and go straight to research, but there you have it.

I do really love pathology. I'm still sad I won't have a career on the necropsy floor, but the path to get there doesn't seem worth it anymore. I'll still get to work in a similar environment, it just won't be exactly what I'd planned.

Reactions: 1 users
No, I don't think so. It's been a weird few weeks. :laugh: I've always been so sure that vet school was the only path for me, but I wasn't accepted this year (my 2nd try) and I finally started to let myself consider other careers. Now I can't see myself going to vet school when I've found other options that are (shockingly!) a better fit for me. I've literally reversed 6 years of dreaming and planning in 4 weeks. ;)

I've always been really, really uncomfortable with vet school tuition, and planning a future without 100k + of debt is such a freeing feeling. I love science, and I love studying how everything fits together and how it can all go wrong, and the thing is, I don't need to be in a DVM program to do that. It helps that I never wanted to treat anything or do surgery or see patients, so I'm not going to miss that part of vet school. ;) I'd been planning to do my DVM, then go into a residency/PhD combined program. I don't know why it never occurred to me to just skip all the other parts and go straight to research, but there you have it.

I do really love pathology. I'm still sad I won't have a career on the necropsy floor, but the path to get there doesn't seem worth it anymore. I'll still get to work in a similar environment, it just won't be exactly what I'd planned.

That sounds awesome! I'm so happy for you! :) Everything does happen for a reason!

A couple questions for the current WSU / WSU vet students, assuming this is a good place for that! I'm a relatively new newcomer (love redundancy!) to SDN so if this is not the proper venue, let me know! I just know there are a couple of you here and more than one perspective could be helpful.

(More WSU vet-y student-y sorts) I noticed on the supply list they mentioned many class materials were provided digitally. Does this typically include textbooks? Do you find yourself doing a lot of digital reading? I've spent the last ten years in a prison, so I haven't had much need for technology and am trying to decide if a tablet would be beneficial or if my trusty laptop would be sufficient.

(For general Pullman-y / WSU folks) Online, some of the apartment complexes are listing openings for the 17/18 school year. It's early yet, but is it better to pounce on apartments early or do more options tend to open up as we get to summer? Is there a particular housing market sweet spot? Do other WSU students get accepted around the same time as us or is there a time we'll start competing with incoming undergrads or other folks looking for housing?

A couple questions for the current WSU / WSU vet students, assuming this is a good place for that! I'm a relatively new newcomer (love redundancy!) to SDN so if this is not the proper venue, let me know! I just know there are a couple of you here and more than one perspective could be helpful.

(More WSU vet-y student-y sorts) I noticed on the supply list they mentioned many class materials were provided digitally. Does this typically include textbooks? Do you find yourself doing a lot of digital reading? I've spent the last ten years in a prison, so I haven't had much need for technology and am trying to decide if a tablet would be beneficial or if my trusty laptop would be sufficient.

(For general Pullman-y / WSU folks) Online, some of the apartment complexes are listing openings for the 17/18 school year. It's early yet, but is it better to pounce on apartments early or do more options tend to open up as we get to summer? Is there a particular housing market sweet spot? Do other WSU students get accepted around the same time as us or is there a time we'll start competing with incoming undergrads or other folks looking for housing?
Most classes have notes posted online for us, either in a note packet or just ppt slides. Phys is our only exception, as the two main professors prefer to write on the white boards. I personally bought an iPad Pro for school and I'm really glad I did. I anotate all my notes on there, which has been really nice. Way less stuff to carry around, and all my note files are backed up to Dropbox so I don't have to worry about losing them. If you're the kind of person who can type notes during lecture, a laptop would be great, but I'm definitely not so being able to write on my tablet has been awesome.

We aren't given textbooks digitally, though some are available through the library digitally if you needed to look something up. I only bought Dissection of the Dog and Guyton (phys). I also have a copy of Dyce (anatomy) someone gave me. I barely use them though, and didn't buy any books this semester. So far they've been more of just a reference than professors actually wanting you to learn stuff out of them, so if you're not a textbook person I wouldn't really bother getting any. Principles of surgery I used the books for a lot, but they're available at the library and online so I used them there.

It's a college town, so larger complexes will all my rented out by mid March for the most part, so if you have a particular complex you're wanting I'd apply now. Have you accepted your position? Once you do you'll have access to the internal vetmed page which will have housing ads through the school, and they'll email them to you periodically as well. There will still be places available as it gets closer, they'll just more likely be with private landlords. Personally I ended up signing in February because I was bringing two cats and found an apartment I liked that was pet friendly and on the cheaper side.

Good information to have on housing! I'm going to try to get out there this weekend to take a look at a few places with space. I have access to the vetmed and have been keeping an eye on those ads, as well.

Are there any notoriously 'keep away from' apartment complexes? The two I'm looking at are Glendimer and Wilru or something like that.

Good information to have on housing! I'm going to try to get out there this weekend to take a look at a few places with space. I have access to the vetmed and have been keeping an eye on those ads, as well.

Are there any notoriously 'keep away from' apartment complexes? The two I'm looking at are Glendimer and Wilru or something like that.
I have friends renting from Glendimer and they've been happy. Most of them are pretty out dated, but that's always been my experience in a college area. No idea about Wilru. Stay away from DRA. I've never heard good things about them as a management company or their housing.

Don't buy text books. They're mostly a waste of money. The books I've used are

Dissection of the dog
Small animal surgery
Large animal surgery
(Both because I'm mixed focused)
The clin path book
Small animal internal med

That's it. I'm not kidding. And I graduate in 65 days so I'm not just talking out of my butt lol.

I had a laptop for the first year and a half until it crapped out and then I got a tablet. I got the surface pro because it's essentially both. And I wished I'd had it the whole time. Hand writing some of the fill in the blank notes you get and drawing some of the diagrams and charts etc is immensely helpful.

Housing can go fast so I got a place early. Most of the listings are available for showings now but the leases aren't even open until June so it's not like you'll have a place you're paying on now.

Also. I'm very curious about you being in prison. I mean. Like real prison??? I'm being nosy. Sorry. Just intriguing.

Don't buy text books. They're mostly a waste of money. The books I've used are

Dissection of the dog
Small animal surgery
Large animal surgery
(Both because I'm mixed focused)
The clin path book
Small animal internal med

That's it. I'm not kidding. And I graduate in 65 days so I'm not just talking out of my butt lol.

I had a laptop for the first year and a half until it crapped out and then I got a tablet. I got the surface pro because it's essentially both. And I wished I'd had it the whole time. Hand writing some of the fill in the blank notes you get and drawing some of the diagrams and charts etc is immensely helpful.

Housing can go fast so I got a place early. Most of the listings are available for showings now but the leases aren't even open until June so it's not like you'll have a place you're paying on now.

Also. I'm very curious about you being in prison. I mean. Like real prison??? I'm being nosy. Sorry. Just intriguing.
This makes me happy because I had no plans on buying anymore than these textbooks :p

I do use the Blackwell's 5 min veterinary consults a good bit though. I feel like those are good starting points. Especially the clin path one.
Do they have them in the hospital or do you have your own? Maybe I'll start asking for them for Christmas so I can collect them before fourth year :p

Do they have them in the hospital or do you have your own? Maybe I'll start asking for them for Christmas so I can collect them before fourth year :p
They do have the small animal one in community but I have my own.

Fyi, I used them for the diagnostic challenge in second year.

They do have the small animal one in community but I have my own.

Fyi, I used them for the diagnostic challenge in second year.
Guess I should look into these with my tax return then :p

Oh. Boo. That's gotta be the worst.

"This is for your birthday AND Christmas!"
My parents always kept it separate, but other people didn't. The turds