• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toot45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So after having my interview at WVSOM....i realized that I would probably shoot myself because being so depressed in such a **** hole. I am wondering why schools come and set up in such remote places??? I mean wow a population of 2000. The Admissions there looked and acted weird and scary as if they had not ever seen any out of towners. Gl to any who does decided to go there ( i am sure you are either a WV resident or grew up on a farm) one spot just opened up for you!

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Some people like that kind of place. Some people would say the same thing about a big city. Didn't you know it was in a rural area when you applied? Are you so sheltered that you aren't aware of other types of people and places that exist in this world?

Reactions: 1 user

spazzz

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
wvsom is a pretty well established medical school.

About the Ads

Cp22kjer

Bottom of the Food Chain
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Fantasia
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Its ranked top 50 in primary care........ per US News meaning that theres only a few DO schools according to them that are better in primary care. From my take they are a well established school and must be doing things right.

Note: I have not been there.

Doc Henry

blowin' in the wind
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Some people like that kind of place. Some people would say the same thing about a big city. Didn't you know it was in a rural area when you applied? Are you so sheltered that you aren't aware of other types of people and places that exist in this world?

Good point. I purposely am screening out all schools which I consider to be too rural for my taste, WVSOM included.

BTW TT, I find that I Rick Roll myself with your sig on purpose all the time now...it just puts me in a good mood

scpod

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
....I would probably shoot myself because being so depressed in such a **** hole. I am wondering why schools come and set up in such remote places???!....

You know, the funny thing about sick people is that they don't just pick big urban areas to get sick in. The get sick waaaaaayyyyyy out in the boonies too. So, it kinda makes sense to have a couple of schools out there too, don't you think?

I can understand that you might not like the area, but it's a little uncalled for to call it a ****hole. I could look at your place and decide that you live in a ****hole as well. But, I'd have the good grace not to call it that it public.

spazzz

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
seriously, why apply to WVSOM if you don't like rural? In general, underserved are in rural areas, which is part of the osteopathic mission

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
So after having my interview at WVSOM....i realized that I would probably shoot myself because being so depressed in such a **** hole. I am wondering why schools come and set up in such remote places??? I mean wow a population of 2000. The Admissions there looked and acted weird and scary as if they had not ever seen any out of towners. Gl to any who does decided to go there ( i am sure you are either a WV resident or grew up on a farm) one spot just opened up for you!

Funny, this is exactly how I feel about New York...to each his/her own

singinfifi

Professional Insomniac
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2007
usa
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Actually, I grew up in a suburb (really close to a major city) and I *LOVED* WVSOM.

I actually had a really hard choice ahead of me when it came down to them or Nova.

A ****hole?! Dude. Where were you looking? Their anatomy lab was freaking beautiful, the countryside was increadable, the class rooms were state of the art....By far the best looking school I interviewed at.

I think it's an absolutely amazing school. But I mean, just my opinion.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Actually, I grew up in a suburb (really close to a major city) and I *LOVED* WVSOM.

I actually had a really hard choice ahead of me when it came down to them or Nova.

A ****hole?! Dude. Where were you looking? Their anatomy lab was freaking beautiful, the countryside was increadable, the class rooms were state of the art....By far the best looking school I interviewed at.

Ditto. It is far more rare to find an interviewer who wasnt impressed with WVSOM rather than it to hear comments like you have made. Now whether your impressed with Lewisburg and or the tuition is a different story.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I rather think of NYCOM as being in the worst place imaginable, but it's just my opinion. Colored, admittedly, by the ENORMOUS cost of housing and the small fact that I don't want to raise my kids in NYC (nor can I afford to even put a roof over their heads in that city). NYC is fun to visit for a few days, but I'd rather cut off my feet and gouge out my own eyeballs than live there. Other folks feel that way about WVSOM or UNECOM.

To each his own. To me your profane outburst rather appears to be softening the blow for an expected rejection from a totally blown interview. But that's purely speculation on my part.

toot45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

I could not agree more that they did have great anatomy lab as well as classrooms. I just got the feeling that everyone I talked to there (students) seemed unhappy when it came to anything outside of school. I understand that you should be so into your studies that it doesn't matter what else is around you. I was just saying that like myself and most other people who do live in a place bigger than the highschool they went....would become depressed in a place where the biggest store is wal-mart and the whole city was off of one street.

About the Ads

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My mom lives in NYC. She keeps bitching about how much it sucks, but she won't move, and she keeps talking about how great the opportunities are.

I will say for sure that she couldn't do what she's doing many other places. She's like 56 and about to finish up a second master's degree from Sara Lawrence College. She's a speech pathologist, and now she wants to be a writer.

She really sucked at writing when she first started, and now she sends me some of her stuff, and she has become pretty good. I am impressed.

toot45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

i do know about other places in the world....go there to see it yourself.

If you can find an airline that goes there easily :laugh:

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have no doubt that I would not have been particularly happy with the town that WVSOM is in. That is why I didn't apply, along with the ridiculous tuition. But it is still a pretty good school, and I'd find some way to entertain myself if I had ended up there.

Bonsante

Avalokiteśvara's Emperor
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

So after reading your post on SDN....i realized that you are a sh*thead for not doing your research about the school. To answer your question, schools set up in romote places or rural areas because there is a shortage of physcians to take care of sick patients if it isn't obvious enough. Since you're a native Texan, I will give you this example: School of Medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso just opened this year to reduce health care disparities in the El Paso Communities due to the shortage of physician in underserved areas. There is a shortage of physcians in rural areas/underserved areas in general because of three main reasons. First reason is many people living in rural areas do not have access to health care because they simply do not have health insurance, and their jobs are underpaid. Second reason is due to the lack of doctors - to get doctors to practice in rural settings, you have to pay for their medical loans through programs such as NHSC or Loan Forgiveness Programs. Also, most doctors don't practice in a rural setting because there are a lot of uninsured people knocking at their front doors. In order to get doctors to practice in rural areas, you either recruit more physicians who used to live in rural areas or have to improve schools in rural areas, which is EXPENSIVE. Lastly, the third reason is people who live in rural areas face special problems such as agricultural accidents. Being a farmer is not an easy job, and they are around of a lot of pesticides and heavy machineries. Before you bash a good medical school, please do your research before hand or else you'll look like a sh*thead.

BobLJ99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
LEWISBURG, W.Va.--The legacy of excellence continues at the West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine. U.S.News & World Report magazine's latest graduate school rankings include WVSOM for the 10th consecutive year, marking a decade of excellence for the school. WVSOM is ranked in two categories: Primary Care and Family Medicine. Only one other osteopathic medical school is ranked in as many U.S.News categories as WVSOM. The string of consecutive rankings by U.S.News confirms WVSOM's reputation as one of the premier medical schools in the nation, said WVSOM President Olen E. Jones Jr., Ph.D. "The school has now been ranked 10 years running--further evidence that the legacy of excellence continues at WVSOM," Dr. Jones said. "To be ranked among the top medical schools in the country time after time is a remarkable achievement, and certainly reflects the hard work of many dedicated people here at our medical school." "The teamwork and positive attitude shown by our faculty, staff and students reflects the strength and quality of our medical education program," Jones said, pointing out that WVSOM has appeared in the prestigious rankings each year since 1998. The rankings are based on expert opinion about program quality as well as statistical indicators that measure the quality of a school's faculty, research and students. Opinions were gathered from deans, program directors, senior faculty members and professionals in the medical field directly involved in hiring new physicians. The rankings for "America's Best Graduate Schools 2009" are available in the U.S.News & World Report's "Best Graduate Schools" guidebook, and in the April 7edition of the U.S.News & World Report magazine. You can also access the rankings online at the U.S.News & World Report Web site

Here is some food for thought.

UFpharmDO

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
open ocean
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
You know, the funny thing about sick people is that they don't just pick big urban areas to get sick in. The get sick waaaaaayyyyyy out in the boonies too. So, it kinda makes sense to have a couple of schools out there too, don't you think?

I can understand that you might not like the area, but it's a little uncalled for to call it a ****hole. I could look at your place and decide that you live in a ****hole as well. But, I'd have the good grace not to call it that it public.

the picture that you posted was a hospital that I worked at, but I dont know how to get the picture that SCPOD posted come up here.

toot45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
So after reading your post on SDN....i realized that you are a sh*thead for not doing your research about the school. To answer your question, schools set up in roomate places or rural areas because there is a shortage of physcians to take care of sick patients if it isn't obvious enough. Since you're a native Texan, I will give you this example: School of Medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center at El Paso just opened this year to reduce health care disparities in the El Paso Communities due to the shortage of physician in underserved areas. There is a shortage of physcians in rural areas/underserved areas in general because of three main reasons. First reason is many people living in rural areas do not have access to health care because they simply do not have health insurance, and their jobs are underpaid. Second reason is due to the lack of doctors - to get doctors to practice in rural settings, you have to pay for their medical loans through programs such as NHSC or Loan Forgiveness Programs. Also, most doctors don't practice in a rural setting because there are a lot of uninsured people knocking at their front doors. In order to get doctors to practice in rural areas, you either recruit more physicians who used to live in rural areas or have to improve schools in rural areas, which is EXPENSIVE. Lastly, the third reason is people who live in rural areas face special problems such as agricultural accidents. Being a farmer is not an easy job, and they are around of a lot of pesticides and heavy machineries. Before you bash a good medical school, please do your research before hand or else you'll look like a sh*thead.

Ok so i guess we know where you want to go to school....

El paso can not be compared to Lewisburg. Yeah you need doctors in a rural place but to open up a school in a place where there is a total of 6 police officers (thats a fact by the way) is stupid. You can choose at least a place close to the that 2000K population city to have a school and not in a place where the school is ran by a bunch of honkies. I dont think you really understand how small this place is. Until you go there and visit that ONE street (comprises the whole town) and talk to the students who, during lunch basically said " yeah this is the smallest city in the country...its was my only acceptance" and crack jokes themselves you may feel the same way. Not to mention that the students told us that the school does not help you find rotations outside of WV becuase they want you stay in the ****hole (since they know everyone will want out). so before you talk about comparing el paso to lewisburg....First graduate, second graduate, then do some research and traveling yourself........sh*thead:laugh:

toot45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ummmmm....not really. That kind of assumes that they want you. They might have disliked you even more than you disliked them :eek:.

I was accepted a while ago...just waited to post

BobLJ99

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student

You really are pathetic. You are exactly the type of person that medicine does not need since you obvious know a thing or two about perpetuating stereotypes. I live in Boston and did not grow up on a farm contrary to your belief that those attending WVSOM must have done so. Additionally, I turned down other schools in urban areas due to WVSOM having such a fine reputation. If you had your facts straight, you would know that only one other DO school was ranked higher than WVSOM for primary care among MD and DO schools.

Regarding your comments about the admissions staff, you really must be a sour person because they are some of the nicest people. If you even bothered to look at other posts pertaining to the school, you would see several posts indicating how hospitable and nice these people are. I think ShyRem was very accurate in the comment about you blowing the interview and wanting to feel better about yourself.

If you happen to gain a medical school acceptance, I hope for the sake of your future patients that you mature greatly. Some of the “weird” and “scary” people that you come across may become your patients someday and will entrust their care in your hands.

Bonsante

Avalokiteśvara's Emperor
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok so i guess we know where you want to go to school....

El paso can not be compared to Lewisburg. Yeah you need doctors in a rural place but to open up a school in a place where there is a total of 6 police officers (thats a fact by the way) is stupid. You can choose at least a place close to the that 2000K population city to have a school and not in a place where the school is ran by a bunch of honkies. I dont think you really understand how small this place is. Until you go there and visit that ONE street (comprises the whole town) and talk to the students who, during lunch basically said " yeah this is the smallest city in the country...its was my only acceptance" and crack jokes themselves you may feel the same way. Not to mention that the students told us that the school does not help you find rotations outside of WV becuase they want you stay in the ****hole (since they know everyone will want out). so before you talk about comparing el paso to lewisburg....First graduate, second graduate, then do some research and traveling yourself........sh*thead:laugh:

YOU HAVE TOTALLY CONVINCED me you're a f**king shi*head. Yes, I have been to Lewisburg and I was accepted to WVSOM, and yes I have been to El Paso, and **** I have been to more rural places than Lewisburg. Have you heard of Cambodia? Have you been to the villages there where there is literally no medical resource or lack of it and no computers/internet, and nobody has heard of Walwart? You really need to learn how to read closely. I said El Paso is in needs of physcians and is an UNDERSERVED area, not rural.

Omashu

FLYING BLUE MMMMM's
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
To me your profane outburst rather appears to be softening the blow for an expected rejection from a totally blown interview. But that's purely speculation on my part.

That's what I was thinking...

For the record, I live very close to NYC, like 15 minutes away. I lived here all my life and I CAN"T wait to be accepted by a school in a rural area such as UNECOM, WVSOM, LMU.... I grew up with lots of pavement. I look out my bedroom window and I can see my neighbor staring back at me. Black soot constantly collects on my front porch from all the cars and pollution.

I can't wait to move.

toot45

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
You really are pathetic. You are exactly the type of person that medicine does not need since you obvious know a thing or two about perpetuating stereotypes. I live in Boston and did not grow up on a farm contrary to your belief that those attending WVSOM must have done so. Additionally, I turned down other schools in urban areas due to WVSOM having such a fine reputation. If you had your facts straight, you would know that only one other DO school was ranked higher than WVSOM for primary care among MD and DO schools.

Regarding your comments about the admissions staff, you really must be a sour person because they are some of the nicest people. If you even bothered to look at other posts pertaining to the school, you would see several posts indicating how hospitable and nice these people are. I think ShyRem was very accurate in the comment about you blowing the interview and wanting to feel better about yourself.

If you happen to gain a medical school acceptance, I hope for the sake of your future patients that you mature greatly. Some of the “weird” and “scary” people that you come across may become your patients someday and will entrust their care in your hands.

Get your facts straight....I never said anything about how good or bad the school is!!! just that the surrounding area is depressing...so please dont be to quick to jump on me for insulting your 200,000K investment, in just tuition alone, in a place where that money could probably buy the city:hardy:

MarathonsRcool

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
wow, people get reall defensive on these boards eh....

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2004
Where I hang my hat.
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
And you would be SO right!

Folks, you gotta be nice. And, let me further warn y'all that deliberately bypassing the swear filter will get the attention of the mods. Your only warning. You are entering a profession. Please act professionally. 'nuff said.

About the Ads
Status
Not open for further replies.