2022-2023 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone that interviewed 2/13 in person heard back?

Members don't see this ad.

Would any current students mind sharing what the academic schedule looks like for the first year? I'm looking for something more in depth that would break down how long we spend in each block/how many golden weekends to expect each year. Thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could any current students talk about what residency placements and options are like? I'm wondering what kind of range a student can expect to experience. I know it is a rural school with a focus on rural and primary care medicine, but I'm hoping there is a chance to explore other specialties too. I'm a person with a lot of interests in just about every specialty there is, and I am hoping that I will be able to do a wide variety of rotations that will really help me narrow things down. One of my fears is that I won't be prepared enough to really pick well when it comes to residency applications, and I'm wondering if any current medical students have similar concerns about narrowing down and pinpointing their exact interests within medicine?

Could any current students talk about what residency placements and options are like? I'm wondering what kind of range a student can expect to experience. I know it is a rural school with a focus on rural and primary care medicine, but I'm hoping there is a chance to explore other specialties too. I'm a person with a lot of interests in just about every specialty there is, and I am hoping that I will be able to do a wide variety of rotations that will really help me narrow things down. One of my fears is that I won't be prepared enough to really pick well when it comes to residency applications, and I'm wondering if any current medical students have similar concerns about narrowing down and pinpointing their exact interests within medicine?
WVSOM has great hospital affiliations with all hospitals in WV. They had several students match into solid specialty programs last match.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
II for the Waitlist this morning! Submitted secondary on 1/7

Just gave up my spot :) I hope my beefy deposit becomes a nice scholarship for one of you! lol

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Would any current students mind sharing what the academic schedule looks like for the first year? I'm looking for something more in depth that would break down how long we spend in each block/how many golden weekends to expect each year. Thanks :)
Our 1st year breakdown is below. It's currently a spiral block curriculum, meaning we typically revisit an organ system multiple times before closing it out at the end of second year. We've been told the curriculum is in the process of changing, however it's hard to say what that means for currently matriculating students. As for golden weekends, you'll have one after each exam if the exam is on a Friday. For longer blocks with multiple exams, you'll have multiple corresponding golden weekends.

Sidenote, don't be deceived by the shorter blocks. They're all equally challenging and demanding of your effort to score well.

Course
Start
End
Days
Weeks
Foundations of Osteopathic Medicine
7/28/2022​
9/22/2022​
56​
8.0​
Muscle Skeletal
9/26/2022​
10/21/2022​
25​
3.6​
Cardiopulmonary
10/24/2022​
12/15/2022​
52​
7.4​
Blood / Lymph
1/3/2023​
1/20/2023​
17​
2.4​
Neuro
1/23/2023​
2/17/2023​
25​
3.6​
GI
2/20/2023​
3/17/2023​
25​
3.6​
Renal
3/27/2023​
4/6/2023​
10​
1.4​
Endo / Repro
4/10/2023​
5/19/2023​
39​
5.6​

Reactions: 3 users

This is a concern of mine, too. I feel like I like everything and won’t be able to “choose” until I get a taste of what it’s really like during rotations. But at that point— have I really done enough (shown enough interest, etc) to be competitive?

Can any current student touch upon this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the email that their current class is full and my app was moved from "on hold" to alternate list. sounds like as seats open up they will pull from alternate list and do that indefinitely until matriculation

Does sending a letter of Intent help after being put on alternate list?

Hi! I have been stalking this forum like crazy for updates. There has not been a post since March 6, so I thought I should update it. WVSOM received my primary application 7/8 and I completed my secondary around the same time. After not hearing for months, I got an interview for the alternate list Feb 23 and I opted to interview in person. During the interview, I fell in LOVE with the school. Everyone was so nice (both the people who are part of the school and the local people of Lewisburg)! They also have a beautiful cadaver lab, OMM clinic, and their commitment to rural medicine very much aligns with my ultimate career goals. Two days after my March 6 interview, I got confirmation that I am on the alternate list... yay! I am hoping they have some waitlist/ alternate list movement :xf:

Stats for anyone that is checking the forum as anxiously as I for updates: OOS. GPAs- 3.6x science, 3.7x cumulative MCAT: 500. My application was very rural medicine focused (in my opinion) because at the time I submitted it I was taking a gap year after graduating and working in a hospital that serviced some rural individuals. It may help that I am now doing research at a Big 10 university (meaning well funded) as a masters student and a chem lab instructor, but who knows 🤷‍♀️. At the interview day, I met so many amazing other interviewees. WVSOM has such hard decisions to make if we start to see waitlist movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed for the AL 3/9 and got the email that I’m on it today!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh that's so interesting! When we interviewed end of feb they said wl only moves late April- may

Can any current student answer to how well WVSOM prepares students for boards? Do exams contain board-related questions?

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone received any financial aid info yet? The portal says info will be sent towards the end of March, so just wondering if anyone has heard anything. I submitted my FAFSA to them a while ago and emailed to confirm if they received it, but they never responded. Did anyone get confirmation from them after submitting their FAFSA?

Anyone received any financial aid info yet? The portal says info will be sent towards the end of March, so just wondering if anyone has heard anything. I submitted my FAFSA to them a while ago and emailed to confirm if they received it, but they never responded. Did anyone get confirmation from them after submitting their FAFSA?
No not yet

Did anyone notice all the posts last year on sdn about this school's match data? ... this year it's really quiet. :thinking:

Has anyone seen the 2023 match day results?

Did anyone notice all the posts last year on sdn about this school's match data? ... this year it's really quiet. :thinking:

Has anyone seen the 2023 match day results?

They had a 100% match this year lol. Just Google “WVSOM match day 2023”

I think he/she is talking about the list, like what programs people matched into in their respective specialties.

Ah okay. I would presume they will publish it at some point, just need some time as it’s been less than a month since match day. WVSOM is definitely not one of those schools that hides match data or results, info is generally easily accessible on their website :).

I don’t know how much this helps, but the article said:

A total of 105 students in the Class of 2023, or 60 percent, are entering primary care residency programs, encompassing the specialties of family practice, internal medicine and pediatrics. A total of 44 students matched to family practice residencies, 39 matched to internal medicine, 20 matched to pediatrics and two matched to internal medicine/pediatrics, in which physicians train to become board certified in both specialties.

Other popular specialties for members of the Class of 2023 include emergency medicine, with 25 students; psychiatry, with 12 students; general surgery, with eight students; and orthopedic surgery, with five students.

Ah okay. I would presume they will publish it at some point, just need some time as it’s been less than a month since match day. WVSOM is definitely not one of those schools that hides match data or results, info is generally easily accessible on their website :).

I don’t know how much this helps, but the article said:

A total of 105 students in the Class of 2023, or 60 percent, are entering primary care residency programs, encompassing the specialties of family practice, internal medicine and pediatrics. A total of 44 students matched to family practice residencies, 39 matched to internal medicine, 20 matched to pediatrics and two matched to internal medicine/pediatrics, in which physicians train to become board certified in both specialties.

Other popular specialties for members of the Class of 2023 include emergency medicine, with 25 students; psychiatry, with 12 students; general surgery, with eight students; and orthopedic surgery, with five students.
Thanks for the article!

I was thinking about that 100%. They said they had 176 matches. So I googled 2019 wvsom sdn to see if I could find this group's entering class numbers. I ended up with the 2019-2020 year. Therefore, this logic may not hold true ... but I'm going to try it ...

On June 25 2020, someone said the entering class size was 218. Let assume that is the typical class size.

Now, read the article: graduating class is 176.

That sounds like about 20 percent didn't make it, or in other words: 80% match.

What do you think? Do 20 percent of med. students drop out of school? That has to be wrong.

Sure wish I knew the real size of the entering class in 2019.

Just got accepted today! I had my ii on 03/02 , AL list 03/08, and A today morning! LM 63

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users