2022-2023 West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II received yesterday! Really excited, I’ve heard/read that this is a really great school :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody who interviewed last week or this past Monday hear back yet?

I interviewed 1/5 and have a missed call from them, they didn't leave a voicemail. I don't have an email from them either. Am I supposed to call them back? What should I do?

At this point the fireside chat emails are part of my normal routine

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I got the fireside chat email and almost threw my phone in the trash omg

• Haha
is there any med students on this thread? Is it easy to get research opportunities at WVSOM?

is there any med students on this thread? Is it easy to get research opportunities at WVSOM?
I believe it’s one of the few DO schools with a basic science lab. You can find it. Preceptors are willing to help publish. You can stay for your first summer and do research and they’ll pay you. Not a lot. But they’ll pay you. Haha

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the gc for newly accepted students:

You're invited to my new group 'WVSOM (possible) Class of 2027' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my A today to attend MSUCOM IS. Good luck every one!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey can someone tell me how the interview goes. Received II email stating that interview day is from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM ? So does that mean the interview lasts for 5 hrs or are slots available within a 5 hr period.

Hey can someone tell me how the interview goes. Received II email stating that interview day is from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM ? So does that mean the interview lasts for 5 hrs or are slots available within a 5 hr period.
When I interviewed back in September, it was approximately 2 hours long with a 30 min break in between the faculty interview and the informational session with the director/current students.

Just got the A omg I thought I didn't have a chance as an OOS applicant with absolutely zero ties to WV AHHHHHHH

Any tips/what to expect for the interview? Also OOS and interview is coming up!

Any tips/what to expect for the interview? Also OOS!
They ask pretty standard questions for the most part like why medicine, why DO, tell us about your shadowing, etc. They have your file in front of them bc it's open file. Because I'm OOS, they asked me about my connections to the state and why I would want to live in a place like West Virginia. I didn't have an answer for that because as I said I have literally no connections to the state nor have I ever been there nor do I know anyone from there, but somehow still managed to answer everything else well enough to get accepted omG I still can't believe it oml

Thank you and congrats!!
They ask pretty standard questions for the most part like why medicine, why DO, tell us about your shadowing, etc. They have your file in front of them bc it's open file. Because I'm OOS, they asked me about my connections to the state and why I would want to live in a place like West Virginia. I didn't have an answer for that because as I said I have literally no connections to the state nor have I ever been there nor do I know anyone from there, but somehow still managed to answer everything else well enough to get accepted omG I still can't believe it oml

Just curious, what are WVSOM graduates’ chances of getting into surgical specialties?

Got an II for 02/23 but just got an email I will be interviewing for AL. So sad :cryi:

Just curious, what are WVSOM graduates’ chances of getting into surgical specialties?
I would say as good as any other DO school! In the end its up to you to do it, to seek the connections and do the research necessary. That being said since WVSOM is old the opportunities may be riper

Got an II for 02/23 but just got an email I will be interviewing for AL. So sad :cryi:
im sure seats will open up so don’t feel too discouraged!! the cycle is until april/may so there is a chance to get in

Wow they said that? That’s surprising. I guess it’s good they’re being transparent
Many schools are doing that right now, and I also totally appreciate the transparency! Idk if all schools do this, but some do: basically if you give an interview after their seats are filled, after you interview if the committee votes to accept you, then you get place at the top of the waitlist (kind of like first tier). I believe that means you are ranked above the applicants who get interviewed and the committee decides to waitlist them. What I gather is that the decision the committee makes regarding your app matters, so your interview does matter. Go kill it, my friend :).

I was placed on hold after my interview. my heart is breakin. any future cardiologists wanna patch me up :cryi:

How soon after receiving the acceptance call did people receive email confirmations? They called me day before yesterday and I still have no email

How soon after receiving the acceptance call did people receive email confirmations? They called me day before yesterday and I still have no email
Don’t worry, if they called you will get one soon! I think mine took about a day or two

• Love
Congrats to all who have been recently accepted!! Don’t forget to join the GroupMe as well

Anyone with low stats/MCAT complete in sept hear anything yet?
yes, <500 mcat, 3.6 gpa. OOS. I got accepted many many months ago. But I would say I did have above average (in my eyes lol) leadership and extracurriculars. Its all about creating a cohesive story.

yes, <500 mcat, 3.6 gpa. OOS. I got accepted many many months ago. But I would say I did have above average (in my eyes lol) leadership and extracurriculars. Its all about creating a cohesive story.
That’s odd I have sub 500 3.4 OOS and silence