WWhat a Normal, Boring, Everyday Vet Clinic - Game Thread

Started by Trilt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd personally pick serher and I have a feeling that bloodwork may not give any significant findings for some players

Example, sending out bw on me would probably reveal high phosphorus (age), maybe slight increase wbc and maybe increased globulins... and that's probably it.

We may want to consider doing physical exams on people. My physical exam would reveal much more information about my condition than bloodwork. Obviously, this will vary depending on the person.

And, again, I don't think knowing anyone's condition/ailment will give us info on if they are wolf or villager.
 
I'd personally pick serher and I have a feeling that bloodwork may not give any significant findings for some players

Example, sending out bw on me would probably reveal high phosphorus (age), maybe slight increase wbc and maybe increased globulins... and that's probably it.

We may want to consider doing physical exams on people. My physical exam would reveal much more information about my condition than bloodwork. Obviously, this will vary depending on the person.

And, again, I don't think knowing anyone's condition/ailment will give us info on if they are wolf or villager.
But it's been mentioned previously that anyone else with cancer will be villagers - there aren't any more cancer patients that are wolves. If we can choose a test that would give us enough data to diagnose cancer, that could help us.

So I'm more inclined to believe that each disease grouping might have a wolf, with the rest as villagers.
 
What test will be the most helpful right now? We're fairly confident that other cancers will be village. Having a stockpile of tests will be helpful as we find other wolves and 'clear' their categories as non-originals. But what test gives the most clues for identifying category of illness?

@DVMDream @LetItSnow @SummerTheLynx to tag some doctor-y people, but please anyone jump in with opinions

I don't know that I can answer that. I mean. It just depends on the patient.

Rads maybe for metastatic disease. Ultrasound for metastatic disease .... lymph nodes .... etc. PE for peripheral lymph nodes or mass palpation. Bloodwork for an elevated Ca for paraneoplastic syndrome....

I mean.... just hard to say what the 'best' way to find cancer is because cancer is really just a big huge category for some pretty widely varying diseases.

To identify category of illness? Um........ I vote for taking a good history. I mean, I'm usually halfway to a diagnosis at that point.

But really, I don't think it's that easy.
 
But it's been mentioned previously that anyone else with cancer will be villagers - there aren't any more cancer patients that are wolves. If we can choose a test that would give us enough data to diagnose cancer, that could help us.

So I'm more inclined to believe that each disease grouping might have a wolf, with the rest as villagers.
There is so more cancer villagers IF the game mechanics guess is correct.

Still a leap of faith, not solid proof.
 
But it's been mentioned previously that anyone else with cancer will be villagers - there aren't any more cancer patients that are wolves. If we can choose a test that would give us enough data to diagnose cancer, that could help us.

So I'm more inclined to believe that each disease grouping might have a wolf, with the rest as villagers.

Dear kitten,

Some of the other furbeings here have some good ideas and may be on the right track, but I get worried they have decided too quickly about who is good and who is bad, because we only know one who is bad.

There is a game that I have seen my humans play before. It is a game where they take little pieces of paper and...no, they do not eat the paper or try to chase it. I agree that would be more fun. But anyways, they take these little pieces of paper called "cards", and they ask a question like "if someone has cancer, then they are a villager." The best way to find out if this is true is to find out if there is a wolf who has cancer. Maybe this will help them understand better: https://www.socialpsychology.org/teach/wason.htm

But maybe there are too many possibilities to use this methodology. *sigh* back to trying to chase my tail. I wish I had a puzzle toy!

Paw-Hide-Treat-font-b-Toy-b-font-Dog-font-b-Toys-b-font-Scent-font.jpg
 
Last edited:
***lynch AM***
still leaning off of gwen from her results she posted.

Would still like to hear why people are still so set on Gwen after her results, since the ability that would give those seems pretty obvious and is very villager like.
 
I don't know that I can answer that. I mean. It just depends on the patient.

Rads maybe for metastatic disease. Ultrasound for metastatic disease .... lymph nodes .... etc. PE for peripheral lymph nodes or mass palpation. Bloodwork for an elevated Ca for paraneoplastic syndrome....

I mean.... just hard to say what the 'best' way to find cancer is because cancer is really just a big huge category for some pretty widely varying diseases.

To identify category of illness? Um........ I vote for taking a good history. I mean, I'm usually halfway to a diagnosis at that point.

But really, I don't think it's that easy.
I mean. I can do a physical examination. No clue how much history I can get from it, but I can see.
 
There is a game that I have seen my humans play before. It is a game where they take little pieces of paper and...no, they do not eat the paper or try to chase it. I agree that would be more fun. But anyways, they take these little pieces of paper called "cards", and they ask a question like "if someone has cancer, then they are a villager." The best way to find out if this is true is to find out if there is a wolf who has cancer. Maybe this will help them understand better: https://www.socialpsychology.org/teach/wason.htm

Point made and taken, but I think this is a case of expecting too much certainty in WW.

I'm pretty comfortable to roll with my theory until it bites me in the ass, recognizing that (as you pointed out above) it might be wrong.

But I'm not going to just say "nahhhhhh... theory is crap and I should completely forgettaboutit" just because I don't have a way to prove it.

Until I see a reason to think otherwise, I'm going to assume any other cancer players are not original wolves.
 
But it's been mentioned previously that anyone else with cancer will be villagers - there aren't any more cancer patients that are wolves. If we can choose a test that would give us enough data to diagnose cancer, that could help us.

So I'm more inclined to believe that each disease grouping might have a wolf, with the rest as villagers.

I don't think we can quite make that leap that anyone else with cancer=villager. Yes that's the current theory, but we need to still keep an open mind.

And cancer isn't something that you're going to easily pick up on bloodwork unless it is something stupid obvious (leukemic crisis).

Heck, sometimes you think an animal has cancer and you've run all the tests and still can't find it.

A good history and physical exam gives you the best information. And I'm usually running tests to confirm what I already think or to just rule out any concurrent conditions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I mean. I can do a physical examination. No clue how much history I can get from it, but I can see.

In this <game> I doubt history will be illuminating, because Trilt will likely just make it vague and confounding. In reality a history is a distinct and separate diagnostic test from the PE.

Honestly, I have no idea what test makes the most sense to run right now.
 
I don't think we can quite make that leap that anyone else with cancer=villager. Yes that's the current theory, but we need to still keep an open mind.

And cancer isn't something that you're going to easily pick up on bloodwork unless it is something stupid obvious (leukemic crisis).

Agreed on both accounts (except maybe for hypercalcemia .... sure, there are all the HOGS IN YARD rule/outs, but let's face it, next to renal failure, cancer is the biggie ... everyone will say "a-ha! hyperparathyroidism!" but gimme a break - how many hypercalcemic patients are hyperparathyroid compared to how many are cancer?).
 
I don't think we can quite make that leap that anyone else with cancer=villager. Yes that's the current theory, but we need to still keep an open mind.

And cancer isn't something that you're going to easily pick up on bloodwork unless it is something stupid obvious (leukemic crisis).

Heck, sometimes you think an animal has cancer and you've run all the tests and still can't find it.

A good history and physical exam gives you the best information. And I'm usually running tests to confirm what I already think or to just rule out any concurrent conditions.

I wouldn't mind a good physical exam from CDO. 😉
 
Agreed on both accounts (except maybe for hypercalcemia .... sure, there are all the HOGS IN YARD rule/outs, but let's face it, next to renal failure, cancer is the biggie ... everyone will say "a-ha! hyperparathyroidism!" but gimme a break - how many hypercalcemic patients are hyperparathyroid compared to how many are cancer?).

I've kinda forgotten why we're off in the weeds on this.

Because of cdoconn's testing ability?
 
Unofficial Lynch Tally
NSFW (3) - BBC, STL, Pippy
Gwen (7) - serher, hmoo, LIS, AM, ny, Lyra, 3m
Hmoo (1) - WZ
Lyra (2) - SP, PBC
AM (4) - DVMD, cdo, Jil, Caiter
serher (3) - GB, Gwen, NSFW
LOtF (1) - MJ

21/22

Deadline in ~ 30 min
 
***lynch AM***
still leaning off of gwen from her results she posted.

Would still like to hear why people are still so set on Gwen after her results, since the ability that would give those seems pretty obvious and is very villager like.

I wish I could talk to you about this via pm. Argh. If anyone in my pm group agrees with caiter on this point and sees what gwen's ability probably is, please message me about it. And no this is not me fishing for abilities because she will go home if I (and other people) don't change our votes
 
Any test would include species, gender, age- basic stuff that you have to enter when entering the panel info.

sorry I meant a general blood profile + T4, but I am assuming that counts as two tests
 
Has gwen role revealed to anyone that can vouch for her (without revealing said info on the thread)?
 
I think I'm going to do a physical exam on NSFW.

The reason I'm not doing it on serher is because the people who are voting for her(?) are generally people that I have suspicions of, whereas the people who are voting for gwen are more village-leaning.

Also @mmmdreamerz I just realized you are actually in this game. What gives? Why so quiet?
 
Has Gwen checked in at all today (Sunday)?
Twice, early morning.

Maybe I'm biased, but this seems like odd phrasing to me. Everyone here has a role in this game.

If this is a question directly to me, specifics weren't given.

Reading back I still have feels on Serher. Her posts rub me in the "trying too hard" sort of way. Are we still planning on running blood or T4 on her @cdoconn?

####lynch serher#### to put a vote on the board
 
Agreed on both accounts (except maybe for hypercalcemia .... sure, there are all the HOGS IN YARD rule/outs, but let's face it, next to renal failure, cancer is the biggie ... everyone will say "a-ha! hyperparathyroidism!" but gimme a break - how many hypercalcemic patients are hyperparathyroid compared to how many are cancer?).

Lol... I use HARD IONS

Surprisingly enough for how much cancer I attracted in clinics not a single one was hypercalcemic. My only hypercalcemic patient was a primary hyperparathyroid patient.

This is just an aside, I completely agree with your above point. Though the oncologist I did work with stated that while he does see hypercalcemia of malignancy, he feels it is exaggerated how often it really does occur.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has Gwen checked in at all today (Sunday)?

Last two quotes are today, but total 4 posts since night results (I think?).

Not an excuse, but I I tend to fall into this trap in WW frequently. I don't have a stellar defense other than what I've posted. My ability is passive, which is impossible to prove, doesn't make me a wolf but doesn't make me a villager either.

Ser gives me feels, PBC gives me feels, AM gives me feels. On mobile so I can't pinpoint posts. Which is similar to others feels, so "Gwen is just bandwagoning with everyone else, she doesn't have an original thought!"

I'm familiar with this happening to me, so yeah, I've been hoping for voting to blow over because the reasons for my lynch are, imo, flimsy, but I have no solid reasons to push others so :shrug:

There's only so many times I can get indignant about being an "easy lynch"

Maybe I'm biased, but this seems like odd phrasing to me. Everyone here has a role in this game.

If this is a question directly to me, specifics weren't given.

Reading back I still have feels on Serher. Her posts rub me in the "trying too hard" sort of way. Are we still planning on running blood or T4 on her @cdoconn?

####lynch serher#### to put a vote on the board

My read: "I'm not going to defend. Meh."

I definitely don't see any reason <not> to lynch her. *shrug*

The "indignant" comment was interesting. You don't have to get indignant to defend.... I mean, it certainly can work, but....

There's a chance Gwen decided to play the "Pre-vet players are too nice to lynch someone who isn't around" card and is hoping people will change their vote with the usual "wanted to hear a defense" argument.
 
I'd personally pick serher and I have a feeling that bloodwork may not give any significant findings for some players

Example, sending out bw on me would probably reveal high phosphorus (age), maybe slight increase wbc and maybe increased globulins... and that's probably it.

We may want to consider doing physical exams on people. My physical exam would reveal much more information about my condition than bloodwork. Obviously, this will vary depending on the person.

And, again, I don't think knowing anyone's condition/ailment will give us info on if they are wolf or villager.

I've already said that a PE would be the best choice for me too.

I give up. It is late enough and I am not reading through this again to figure out what I have missed before lynch.

My top 2 choices are Gwen and Lyra right now. Followed by a bunch of the new folks. It bothers me that Gwen is not defending, but I feel like I have memories of her not defending and hard defending as a wolf, so I don't know where to go with that.
I wanna believe Lyra.

Next is AM, serher... that whole kerfuffle.

I guess as my strongest question:

Lynch Gwen
 
Officialish Lynch Tally
NSFW (3) - BBC, STL, Pippy
Gwen (8) - serher, hmoo, LIS, AM, ny, Lyra, 3m, LotF
Hmoo (1) - WZ
Lyra (2) - SP, PBC
AM (4) - DVMD, cdo, Jil, Caiter
serher (3) - GB, Gwen, NSFW
LOtF (1) - MJ

22/22 - Deadline in 10 min.
 
I'm home!!!!! :biglove:

PBC, you've GOT to be kidding me (won't let me quote your post from my phone right now). I didn't want to be the first to vote for coop because she voted for me, and it would have been seen as "retaliation" if all I had were feels. I still think that my vote for coop is what got the ball rolling on her lynch, and I'm annoyed that you are so set on me being a wolf when I think it's so obvious I'm not (would she really have been sneaky enough to vote for a fellow wolf, no).

The more I read, the more I could go for an AM lynch... but I don't really want to switch my lynch from gwen since she's barely checked in or defended even though she knows she's in the lead :thinking:
 
Lol... I use HARD IONS

Surprisingly enough for how much cancer I attracted in clinics not a single one was hypercalcemic. My only hypercalcemic patient was a primary hyperparathyroid patient.

This is just an aside, I completely agree with your above point. Though the oncologist I did work with stated that while he does see hypercalcemia of malignancy, he feels it is exaggerated how often it really does occur.

Yeah, I agree with the oncologist. Most cancer patients aren't hypercalcemic. But most hypercalcemic patients are cancer patients if they aren't renal patients. 🙂
 
Surprisingly enough for how much cancer I attracted in clinics not a single one was hypercalcemic. My only hypercalcemic patient was a primary hyperparathyroid patient.

This is just an aside, I completely agree with your above point. Though the oncologist I did work with stated that while he does see hypercalcemia of malignancy, he feels it is exaggerated how often it really does occur.

I diagnosed a dog I was going to work up for possible IVDD (progressive spinal pain and mild neuro deficits, failed med management) that day with multiple myeloma because we got bloodwork back in the AM and it had a calcium through the roof, so instead of MRing it for IVDD I had a long talk with the owner and did a CT spine instead. Sad but first time I'd seen hypercalcemia of malignancy without already knowing the patient had cancer beforehand.
 
I've already said that a PE would be the best choice for me too.

I give up. It is late enough and I am not reading through this again to figure out what I have missed before lynch.

My top 2 choices are Gwen and Lyra right now. Followed by a bunch of the new folks. It bothers me that Gwen is not defending, but I feel like I have memories of her not defending and hard defending as a wolf, so I don't know where to go with that.
I wanna believe Lyra.

Next is AM, serher... that whole kerfuffle.

I guess as my strongest question:

Lynch Gwen

Last time gwen was a wolf, she didn't defend much if I recall correctly. I think she might not be much in defending either way though, so it's hard to tell.
 
*************
Yeah, I agree with the oncologist. Most cancer patients aren't hypercalcemic. But most hypercalcemic patients are cancer patients if they aren't renal patients. 🙂
Recently went to CE for one of our local specialty hospitals, and I don't know where they're citing this from or just in their experience, but he claimed in the absence of renal disease, 2/3rds of feline hypercalcemia patients are hyperC of malignancy, and 2/3rds of those are lymphoma.
 
I wish I could talk to you about this via pm. Argh. If anyone in my pm group agrees with caiter on this point and sees what gwen's ability probably is, please message me about it. And no this is not me fishing for abilities because she will go home if I (and other people) don't change our votes
well since deadline is in 5 minutes and no one is changing so shes screwed anyway, from her results it seems like she is some sort of tracker (if she wasn't lying about them and they weren't from an item).

That's the only thing that's been holding me back from voting from her, cause again I'm pretty sure I know who she used her ability/item/whatever on that would give those results.
 
*************

Recently went to CE for one of our local specialty hospitals, and I don't know where they're citing this from or just in their experience, but he claimed in the absence of renal disease, 2/3rds of feline hypercalcemia patients are hyperC of malignancy, and 2/3rds of those are lymphoma.

Weird I thought for cats after renal, idiopathic hypercalcemia was more common than neoplasia.
 
well since deadline is in 5 minutes and no one is changing so shes screwed anyway, from her results it seems like she is some sort of tracker (if she wasn't lying about them and they weren't from an item).

That's the only thing that's been holding me back from voting from her, cause again I'm pretty sure I know who she used her ability/item/whatever on that would give those results.

I actually thought it was tracking from first glance too, but our odd night tracker just died (karabou). Thanks for sharing
 
I actually thought it was tracking from first glance too, but our odd night tracker just died (karabou). Thanks for sharing
Didn't even think about. Weird, then it seems like it would be an item then? But since gwen hasn't been around to expand on it, I don't really know what to think.
 
Final Lynch Tally
NSFW (3) - BBC, STL, Pippy
Gwen (8) - serher, hmoo, LIS, AM, ny, Lyra, 3m, LotF
Hmoo (1) - WZ
Lyra (2) - SP, PBC
AM (4) - DVMD, cdo, Jil, Caiter
serher (3) - GB, Gwen, NSFW
LOtF (1) - MJ

22/22 - Please check your votes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have lynched @Gwenevre, a 3yo male intact Pomeranian with ethylene glycol (antifreeze) toxicity. She is a....

... villager whose IV everclear meant that the world was spinning and confusing, and she would hallucinate nightly stories about other patients.

Write-up and roster to follow in a moment, and then thread will be unlocked.
 
The pomeranian had been odd for sure, flopping around and staring wide-eyed around at all of the other patients of the busy hospital. She had a strange ability, barely realized, to pass along the stories behind many of the other patients... lets hear hers, since it is going to be the last.

A twitching, unresponsive ball of fur is rarely what you want to walk into the hospital and see on a busy Saturday, but beggars can't be choosers in this field.

My bosses have a somewhat poor opinion of our local ER, and unfortunately the demeanor has passed along to some of our reception staff. I asked for the low down on the pomeranian while I examined him, and the receptionist parroted to me scathingly that owner had called the ER, but they said there was nothing to be done for the dog after he got into antifreeze besides get him drunk.

Ah. That's why the dog reeks of rum.

I asked the receptionist if she really thought that's what the ER said, or if she thought the owner declined being seen and treatment.... she looked a little sheepish and admitted, yeah, that seems more likely.

Assume good intent of your colleagues. We're not perfect. Some do fairly sketchy things sometimes. But rarely do vets act half as badly as people like to say they do.
​
This pomeranian's owner had no money, and it had been almost a day since he licked the antifreeze from the garage. Euthanasia was a kindness.

Dead is @Gwenevre, a 3yo Pomeranian with antifreeze toxicity. She got tidbits of information about the true stories of the roles in this game every night.

It is now Night 2, and there are 21 patients in the hospital. Night deadline with be 6AM EST tomorrow morning, but please get actions in tonight if you can.

- - - - ----------------------
ngMemH2.png
---------------------- - - - -​

Mods:

@Trilt
@finnickthedog

ROSTER:
Where the Wild Things Are

1. @hazelmoo
2. @mmmdreamerz
4. @serher
13. @SummerTheLynx

Crunchy Stuff

6. @PrincessButterCup
8. @Animal Midwife

Controlled Death

9. @LetItSnow
10. @BeautifulBritishColumbia
11. @Jilary
12. @DVMDream

Allergies 101

14. @WildZoo
15. @PippyPony
16. @Mad Jack
17. @LyraGardenia

UGH.

18. @SportPonies
19. @Caiter92
20. @nyanko

Slice 'n' Dice
21. @NSFW
22. @Great Butts
23. @cdoconn
24. @LadyOtheFarm

NPC: @Teepster87

DEAD:
5. @Coopah - Cancer (DMH with TCC)
3. @Karabiner13 - Yorkie with Hepatic Microvascular Dysplasia
7. @Gwenevre - Pomeranian with Antifreeze Toxicity