You mean mean bad teachers!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raimes

Third time is NOT a charm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has a teacher ever royally messed up your grade? I mean like gave you a whole letter underneath what you deserve?

My physics lab instructor.. pretty much like left out half of my homework points... so ya.. that was a very very bad grade... my mother and I are deciding if we she should try to talk to him, or go straight to the dean..

at least I have something else to worry about instead of freaking out about applications... :laugh:

But .. yes.. I had a hissy fit.. and found all but 3 of my assignments I need to prove this grade.

:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

I would def. speak to the professor first, rather then go over his head. You can always talk to the dean if you don't get satisfaction.

I had a similar experience, well sort of. I signed up to take an advanced lab class during Undergrad, but the class required the instructors approval to sign on. I signed on late, and the instructor was supposed to 'push' me through via computer.

The professor forgot, and I took the entire class - got an A in it, but when the prof. went to give me a grade (end of year), he realized that I was never registered (my fault as well for not double checking I guess).

I ended up having to take another adv. lab to graduate (ecology, ill), didn't do so well :-(

omg, def. explain to that teacher that he/she could possibly ruin your chances at being accepted into veterinary school due to his/her mistake...I would get on that right away! Wow, I've never had that happen before? Was it a student teacher? My college has student teachers serve as lab instructors and they were always very lenient when it came to grading. Keep us updated on what happens

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
omg, def. explain to that teacher that he/she could possibly ruin your chances at being accepted into veterinary school due to his/her mistake..

I would try and be a little more diplomatic about it before you go throwing that argument out there. Professors are rarely out to get students, like students commonly think they are. If you have a legitimate grievance, just bring it up in a very calm and rational manner. Its quite possible he will be willing to work with you in getting this resolved; it could very well be an honest mistake. If he is unwilling, I wouldn't start accusing him of "ruining your chances at vet school" as its unlikely that will have little affect on his decision at that point. From there you would then want to calmly address your dean about resolution to your issue.

I have two such stories:
First semester Fesh year I was in an honors class. We had these Weekly Response Essays that we were supposed to write that weren't actually graded. Well, I got slammed with a ton of tests and got behind. One week instead of class we had 1 on 1 meetings with the prof instead of class and I told her that I knew I was behind on them and was very sorry, but that I Did plan on doing them and turning them in still - even if it only meant late credit. Well, she told me "They are not graded don't worry about it." I told her I didn't mind doing them at all and she persisted that I should not worry about it and didn't need to do them because they were not graded.
Well, end of the semester I got my grade...she gave me a B for participation which brough my class grade down to a B!!!! :mad: BUt here's the thing, the class was not a lecture but a seminar. We had class discussions and stuff. Out of all of the people in the class, I was one of the two or three people who contributed and participated in the discussions the most! AND a person who hardly EVER participated in the discussions AND missed most of the classes because of track got an A in participation!!!!!! :mad: It dropped my GPA a LOT and I meant to follow up on it but then found myself slammed by the minions of hell (mono, 18 credits, 30 hour work weeks, multiple family emergencies) and didn't have time to even think aobut it until recently and now it is too late to do anything. (I just finished my third semseter). Now I need the A even more becuase with all the hell I went through last Spring, my GPA went down even more. :(

Story number 2:
I had a 1 day a week communication class last Spring semester when I was going through aforementioned hell. Well, I went to EVERY class except one and, again, was a primary participant in all discussions (it was a small group communications class - we had a lot of group projects and discussions). Well, the ONE class I missed was because I woke up in the morning with tonsils the size of golf balls. I could not even swallow water (I was literally choking on my own saliva) and had trouble breathing. So, instead of going to class where I could infect everyone with what I thought was some freak strain of strept throat (later found out I had mono but not until months later when 2-3 rounds of antibiotics and several throat swabs and ER visits didn't work) I went to the ER. Turns out we had a quiz that day and missing that quiz meant the difference between an A and a B for me. The prof however had a policy that if you were absent you had to notify her in Advance or you could not make up any missed work. Okay, reasonable enough...but even in Emergencies?!?!?! Seriously?! I couldn't Breathe!!!! :mad: Anyways, I had done ALL of the extra credit for the class, even though she had a limit of 20 pts that you could actually get (she gave lots of extra credit opportunities though so that all ppl could have the chance to get all 20 pts). I talked to her and she said there was nothing I could do. So, I went to the dean and the chair of her department and ran circles fithing it. Finally I got an email from her saying well, it looks to me like there are a few extra credit points that you could have done. (LIES! I did ALL of the extra credit! WELL OVER 20 pts worth!!!!) She was only saying that becasue I went to the Dean I am sure. I wasn't about to make trouble though, I just wanted my A. Well, to get those few points, I had to do this big project essay. I finally got the A but I was pissed at the prof.

End rant. :p lol

EDIT: And yes, try talking to the prof first and politely. THEN and only then if it doesn't work talk to the dean or department head.

Last edited:
In one class they gave out our GPAs at the end, but didn't show how they calculated it. I got a 3.4, which I thought was kind of low for how well I was doing on exams. I went in to talk with them, asked to see how my grade was calculated.

Turns out that do to user error, my grade was switched with the next person in alphabetical order. I had actually gotten a 3.8 and they just switched it around.

Never had it happen in undergrad or grad school (that I know of), but it happened first year in our cell bio class. I did fair (in the C range) the first half of the class, but got in the A range second half of the class (got my first and only 100% in one test :woot:) so I should have ended up with a B pretty easily. My professor for some reason had my final grade recorded as a C. Well, unfortunately my histology grade was really really bad with a D *hides head in paper bag*, so instead of just squeaking by with just a hair over a 2.0 semester, that "C" brought my grade below, and I got a scary "you're on academic probabation, fix it by next block or you're out of vet school" letter that I was totally NOT anticipating! :eek:

The professor was out of town for a week after Christmas, so I couldn't even contact him very quickly and our dean was so busy with out of state applicant interviews, he didn't get back to me real fast either. That was a scary time, but it all got worked out. By now my GPA has improved a bit and got my first A in Public Health (a "real" class) this semester, woo hoo, so I'm just a hair under a modest 2.5, but yikes...not a fun letter to get!

In one class they gave out our GPAs at the end, but didn't show how they calculated it. I got a 3.4, which I thought was kind of low for how well I was doing on exams. I went in to talk with them, asked to see how my grade was calculated.

Turns out that do to user error, my grade was switched with the next person in alphabetical order. I had actually gotten a 3.8 and they just switched it around.

Haha wow that would suck. That is almost like filling in the wrong bubbles by one number in a multiple choice scan-tron! I wonder if you can fight that btw? Like if your answers are right or mostly right but all just one off?

I can relate to the awful professors. I had one this past semester in Physics 2. We had 3 exams - only 1 of which was returned. It took him over 5 weeks to get them to us, so seeing what was wrong did not help at all.

No feedback was given on any work, so nobody in the class had any idea how they were doing. He is waiting until the last minute for everything. The semester ended back on Dec 19 but grades aren't due until Jan 6.

I want to get my grades to Colorado as soon as possible since their deadline is Jan 5, but I can't even make a guess as to how I did....

Miserable professors make for a stressful term... almost as stressful as the wait to hear back from Vet schools! ugh

Haha wow that would suck. That is almost like filling in the wrong bubbles by one number in a multiple choice scan-tron! I wonder if you can fight that btw? Like if your answers are right or mostly right but all just one off?

I've done that.

The professor was understanding but firm. Basically she gave me half of the points that I would have gotten otherwise, so that dropped me from an A to a B in bio II, but oh well. I should have paid more attention (story of my life, for some reason...).

I've done that, on a final exam.

The professor was understanding but firm. Basically she gave me half of the points that I would have gotten otherwise, so that dropped me from an A to a B in bio II, but oh well. I should have paid more attention (story of my life, for some reason...).

my mother and I are deciding if we she should try to talk to him, or go straight to the dean..

I think it is important that you, and not your mother - either with or without you - handle this. You need to show the professor your professionalism, diplomacy and maturity in handling this issue. Use qualitative proof, not emotions. I think you will get a lot farther.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone.. :)

I do have quantative proof... all but 3 of my assignments, and even I were to get a zero on those, which I know I didn't I still wouldn't have gotten the grades in the certain areas that I did.

I just hope he is going to be able to change it.

:(

I'm trying to not let emotions come over me, I know he wouldn't have ruined my chances at vet school, I just need to be able to work over it.

I think the biggest part, is I want it figured out now... I hate waiting and am beyond impatient.

my mother and I are deciding if we she should try to talk to him, or go straight to the dean..

Get in touch with the professor directly and make an appointment to discuss, be polite and diplomatic when you do meet, give her/him the benefit of the doubt by assuming an error has been made (rather than that she/he is out to get you, which she/he probably is not), and definitely leave your mother out of it. You're the adult here.

I've done that, on a final exam.

I did almost that - I skipped the entire last page of a bio II exam...D:

When we got the grades back, I had a nice fat C, with a 30/40 or something. At first, I was pissed at myself, because I'd studied my butt off - but then I was like 'wait...40? I only remember like 32 questions...'

That's when I decided that the botany professor is the best professor at our university. She verified that I did, in fact, skip the whole last page - and then was nice enough to take my score out of what I answered.

On a calc test, I switched a number on one of the problems from like 32 to 23 (or something stupid like that). I showed all the work and everything was done correctly, but because the actual answer was wrong I couldn't get credit for it. Now I completely understand that it was my own fault and all, but it was the *only* question I got wrong on the entire exam, and if I'd gotten 100% on that exam I would've been exempt from the final! :bang:

Last edited:
my school totally screwed up my transcript. I took Genetics one summer and was afraid I wasnt going to pass, so I registered to retake it the following fall. I ended up with a B, so I dropped the Fall class, only to get a bill in November saying my tuition was due and found out the class had not been dropped and, of course, it was after the drop add period, so now my transcript reads with a big fat W that I have to explain in my VMCAS each year.

BAD, BAD UNDERGRAD UNIVERSITY!!

Really? I'm surprised they wouldn't just look at it and think "well, she already took it and did well" and just dismiss the following W?

(BTW, it's good to see you LVT2DVM!)

my ******ed linear algebra teacher (she was a grad student) decided one day that 1/2 and .5 are not equal. So she marked my answer of X=1/2 wrong and I brought it to her to kindly point out her silly mistake and she said "oh, well I'll give you half credit.." (?????!!!!!!!!!) I still wonder if it was some sort of sadistic pun.

my ******ed linear algebra teacher (she was a grad student) decided one day that 1/2 and .5 are not equal. So she marked my answer of X=1/2 wrong and I brought it to her to kindly point out her silly mistake and she said "oh, well I'll give you half credit.." (?????!!!!!!!!!) I still wonder if it was some sort of sadistic pun.

or had something to do with sig figs. none of my math/physics teachers would have accepted a fraction when we were dealing with decimals.

Last edited:
or had something to do with sig figs. none of my math/physics teachers would have accepted a fraction when we were dealing with decimals.

I can assure you it wasn't sig figs. The only time I ever used sig figs in college was in chemistry. It really had nothing to do with the whole topic or problem.

I teach college and I messed up two student's grades this semester. I drop the single lowest quiz score out of their grade. In a rush to get them done this term, I simply forgot to do that- one in a Bio I course, the other for Zoology. I posted grades on the website, they emailed me and poliety inquired, after checking, I noticed they were right. In 9 years, I've only ahd to go back and change 4 grades, and two were this semster. But it does happen. We are real people too and make mistakes. I was understanding, and I apologized profusley.

But your mother needs to stay out of it. If I had a parent of one of my students email me or call me about a grade, I legally can't discuss it with the parent. Period. The only exception ot that is is the student is under 18 years. Brigning your mom into it will not make this better.

I teach college and I messed up two student's grades this semester. I drop the single lowest quiz score out of their grade. In a rush to get them done this term, I simply forgot to do that- one in a Bio I course, the other for Zoology.

Yeah, I'm glad that I have Excel just do this automatically for me. If not for that program I would have probably messed up at least half of my students' grades.

I can assure you it wasn't sig figs. The only time I ever used sig figs in college was in chemistry. It really had nothing to do with the whole topic or problem.

well... Even outside chem, sig. fig. exist.

1/2 = 0.500000...

Now, i never took linear algebra (thank god), but I wouldn't accept 1/2 instead of 0.5 in any of the classes I grade simply because its annoying. Imagine getting awnsers like 56/98 or 62/73 instead of decimals :laugh:

Last edited:
I never had a professor that totally destroyed my GPA but one totally pissed me off. My most recent Biology professor gave me a grade lower than I deserved in my Diversity of Organisms class. I kept all of my old assignments so I actually had proof. However, for some reason he refused to look them over. It's not like I asked him to round me up a grade...:mad:. This was my most favorite class ever and he almost ruined it for me.

I had a bad professor who tried to destroy the entire classes GPA. I took immunology and this professor was a bad teacher. She didn't teach us anything. When it came time for the exams if you didnt at least read the text book you were screwed because nothing she taught was on the exams. The highest grade on the first exam was a B. The second exam a D. Now I do NOT get D's. And considering the entire class was failing there was clearly something wrong. She didn't care. For our final she gave us an impossible exam clearly determined to destroy our GPA's. Coincidentally the exam was based on POPS (patient oriented problem solving) which are public domain (google it) and all of the problems and solutions are available. Without which I would have received a C in the class :(

I'm so glad this thread got started because it made me check my transcript from CU-Boulder. I just took a Genetics class there last semester, and when I looked up my transcript online after reading this thread, I realized I have no grade! The registrar has no record of a grade. The Continuing Ed dept (thru which I took the class as a post-bacc) has no record of the grade. I just emailed the prof, and am awaiting his response. Yikes! :scared: