2009-2010 Baylor College of Medicine (BCM) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are those of you who are sending a letter of evaluation from your school's premedical advisory committee also sending in any additional LOR's or are you just sticking with the one?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
how much does Baylor take residency into account? I am from NY but have very compelling reasons to apply to baylor (they have one of the only/largest clinics for a rare disease that i have a close familial connection too/am interested in doing research for).

how much does Baylor take residency into account? I am from NY but have very compelling reasons to apply to baylor (they have one of the only/largest clinics for a rare disease that i have a close familial connection too/am interested in doing research for).

Like all TX schools, residency is very pertinent to your application, only a small percentage are out of state.

i just checked my status and it says my LOR have not been received? is that just bc Baylor hasnt downloaded them from AMCAS?

So I basically just described in-depth one of my ECs that didn't get much justice on the AMCAS, and then briefly addressed what I've learned from it. Is this appropriate for this prompt?

i just checked my status and it says my LOR have not been received? is that just bc Baylor hasnt downloaded them from AMCAS?

Yeah me too. It kinda worries me though. It says "Our records indicate that we have not received the letters of recommendation from ." From whom??? Did I miss something on the app?

So I basically just described in-depth one of my ECs that didn't get much justice on the AMCAS, and then briefly addressed what I've learned from it. Is this appropriate for this prompt?

Sounds good. :thumbup:

Im thinking that they download our letters when they are ready to review our app.... at least thats I hope haha

Members don't see this ad :)
The MSAR I'm looking at says ~25% of matriculants are from Texas. However, about 40% of interviewees are from OOS.

yeah, baylor is a private school and doesn't have that same in-state commitment as the other texas schools. but just like with UCSF and UCLA, by virtue of being in texas a large portion of its matriculants are TX residents

yeah, baylor is a private school and doesn't have that same in-state commitment as the other texas schools. but just like with UCSF and UCLA, by virtue of being in texas a large portion of its matriculants are TX residents

For Baylor, I'd guess that most of it is due to self-selection. While that might be somewhat true of SF and LA, those two are still public institutions.

I'll join in. Complete except for my LOR packet (my UG institution is dragging their feet apparently). I assume BCM doesn't review my app until the LOR packet is received...? I know this varies by institution, anybody know BCM's policy for sure?

The MSAR I'm looking at says ~25% of matriculants are from Texas. However, about 40% of interviewees are from OOS.

I'm thinking you mis-typed there? >75% are from TX. The LizzyM school selector says ~20% acceptees are OOS. The interview rate was listed at approx. 52/48 TX:OOS.

I'll join in. Complete except for my LOR packet (my UG institution is dragging their feet apparently). I assume BCM doesn't review my app until the LOR packet is received...? I know this varies by institution, anybody know BCM's policy for sure?

They wait for the letters I'm pretty sure.

I'm thinking you mis-typed there? >75% are from TX. The LizzyM school selector says ~20% acceptees are OOS. The interview rate was listed at approx. 52/48 TX:OOS.

Yes sir, you're correct. 25% of matriculants were from OOS. The point was that while most of the matriculants are from Texas, the interviews are pretty much evenly split. So there's some bias toward TX applicants, but it's not huge like SF and LA.

I did not receive official invite from Baylor yet but all of the application is completed and I am dying to click the "submit" button! did everyone wait for the invitation to sent this?

Yeah me too. It kinda worries me though. It says "Our records indicate that we have not received the letters of recommendation from ." From whom??? Did I miss something on the app?
ksmi, this is happening to me too and you said you are complete now....so I am assuming that it is because they need to download the LOR in batches or something. When did you submit your app and how long before they got rid of this "we have not received..." business? I know my LOR are in, it just freaks me out when a school says they haven't gotten something that they should have.

To the previous poster, I did wait for the invite but I don't think this is necessary.

ksmi, this is happening to me too and you said you are complete now....so I am assuming that it is because they need to download the LOR in batches or something. When did you submit your app and how long before they got rid of this "we have not received..." business? I know my LOR are in, it just freaks me out when a school says they haven't gotten something that they should have.

To the previous poster, I did wait for the invite but I don't think this is necessary.

I finally got my LORs into AMCAS like last Thursday and was marked complete today.

I didn't wait for the email. Just submit. :)

They still don't have my letters. Kind of annoying, I hope there's not a problem.

So I decided to resubmit my AMCAS yesterday. Just to see if that would help since my letters were received after I submitted. Who knows if it helped, but Baylor downloaded them today. It definitely can't hurt to resubmit as long as you don't change anything else. Give it a shot.

So I decided to resubmit my AMCAS yesterday. Just to see if that would help since my letters were received after I submitted. Who knows if it helped, but Baylor downloaded them today. It definitely can't hurt to resubmit as long as you don't change anything else. Give it a shot.

Good idea, thanks.

Just tried it, we'll see if it does anything.

I remember on last year's AMCAS, when I "attached" my LOR to BCM, I thought that was it. To my surprise, I received an e-mail a few weeks later saying that they hadn't received my LOR. I immediately resubmitted my application, and that fixed the mishap. :)

Yes sir, you're correct. 25% of matriculants were from OOS. The point was that while most of the matriculants are from Texas, the interviews are pretty much evenly split. So there's some bias toward TX applicants, but it's not huge like SF and LA.

I'd like to point out that Baylor actually accepts some state funding. So while they're still technically private and don't HAVE to accept 90% of their matriculants from in-staters like the other schools, they CHOOSE to accept no less than 70% in-state. So you still have a MUCH better chance at Baylor than any other Texas school, but you're still at a disadvantage.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

I remember on last year's AMCAS, when I "attached" my LOR to BCM, I thought that was it. To my surprise, I received an e-mail a few weeks later saying that they hadn't received my LOR. I immediately resubmitted my application, and that fixed the mishap. :)

Hmm...I assigned my letter packet to BCM when I submitted last month. My app was verified, and I submitted the secondary before the letter packet was received by AMCAS.

At what point should I go ahead and resubmit? What does resubmitting entail...they don't put it back in line for a verifier do they?

So does Baylor wait until they get all your LORS from AMCAS before reviewing your app? My committee is not going to write my letter until the end of July.... sheesh.... it makes me feel like I'm falling behind...

For those of you who have the secondary... what do the essays look like? Anybody know what the cut off point is as to who gets a secondary and who doesn't?

I'd like to point out that Baylor actually accepts some state funding. So while they're still technically private and don't HAVE to accept 90% of their matriculants from in-staters like the other schools, they CHOOSE to accept no less than 70% in-state. So you still have a MUCH better chance at Baylor than any other Texas school, but you're still at a disadvantage.

Thanks for the clarification Spurs.

For those of you who have the secondary... what do the essays look like? Anybody know what the cut off point is as to who gets a secondary and who doesn't?

The secondary is required of ALL applicants. BCM doesn't screen. They have a very open prompt for the essay. Basically you can expand upon any experience, hardship, job, etc.

Texas gets one of these: :thumbdown:. Only because you live there.

Hmm...I assigned my letter packet to BCM when I submitted last month. My app was verified, and I submitted the secondary before the letter packet was received by AMCAS.

At what point should I go ahead and resubmit? What does resubmitting entail...they don't put it back in line for a verifier do they?

Resubmit now. All it does is update your info. The verification is strictly for the grades and those can't be changed now. So like say you change your phone number. You should change it in contact info, resubmit, and all your schools would be notified that you have a different phone number.

So does Baylor wait until they get all your LORS from AMCAS before reviewing your app? My committee is not going to write my letter until the end of July.... sheesh.... it makes me feel like I'm falling behind...

Not screened. You can even fill it out before your AMCAS is verified. Link: .http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/?PMID=1776.

So if I have a letter from my advisor (just a single letter), do they only want that single letter or should I send additional letters?

Do they only want three letters or is it acceptable to submit more than 3?

Texas gets one of these: :thumbdown:. Only because you live there.

Resubmit now. All it does is update your info. The verification is strictly for the grades and those can't be changed now. So like say you change your phone number. You should change it in contact info, resubmit, and all your schools would be notified that you have a different phone number.

Thanks, I resubmitted my AMCAS just now.

And...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

10 thumbs up for Texas!

If you have too many characters in a row (i.e. don't put spaces between smileys), it adds a space wherever it feels like. This is why I space my smileys. :D :D :D :D

you've been on sdn too long lol

sorry bro. that's 9 thumbs.

My bad. It's ten if you count the command script there in the middle! I'll have to start spacing my thumbs. If you think ksmi has been on sdn too long, check out my join date! Many of this year's MS1s were graduating high school then! Ouch. :eek:

And this makes ten officially: :thumbup:

who else is applying MSTP?

Holy crap! It says my application has been reviewed by the committee!
Well, I guess it's done now.
Hope I get an interview.
:xf::xf::xf:

how is this possible? the girl i spoke to in the admissions office said the adcom haven't look at the apps yet.

how is this possible? the girl i spoke to in the admissions office said the adcom haven't look at the apps yet.
I don't know, but that's what my status has said for the last 2 days now.
And it definitely changed, because it went from "is under review" to "has been reviewed". Very fine print.
They probably just wanted to review mine early so they could get my rejection out of the way.

I don't know, but that's what my status has said for the last 2 days now.
And it definitely changed, because it went from "is under review" to "has been reviewed". Very fine print.
They probably just wanted to review mine early so they could get my rejection out of the way.

don't say that. you're definitely getting in.

the girl probably told me that to calm people like me down. :)

My application has been reviewed.They'll let me know soon.My heart is pounding!

Status
Not open for further replies.