2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for contributing POSITIVELY Aycaramba...

You are right about the fact that its up to the admissions office to make the interview day more informative and I can tell you that they just sent out an email asking for suggestions for a better brochure outlining some important facts about the school (which clearly they are aware they're lacking) and they will be having a focus session in the next couple weeks...so they ARE trying.

I'm glad to hear that. I hope they put more pictures of the school in the brochure, particularly the medical center. The Children's Hospital is actually really cool inside. The campus is nice, but they don't show anything but one building on the website. My impression of the school improved after visiting, and the school does desperately need a PR upgrade.

I firmly believe that they should see the interview as an opportunity to impress a diverse group of people from around the country who will be involved in medicine at a variety different med schools in the future. Make EVERY EFFORT to impress them!!!!!!! ACT LIKE THEY ARE THE FUTURE OF YOUR SCHOOL, BECAUSE THEY ARE!!!!! Get as many current students in as will come, a whole panel of them, get a dean in there or at least a professor. The admissions guy you have was very brusque, kind of made it seem like "lets get you in and out of here asap." That's not what you want. Show applicants that they matter. A lot. Even for the ones that don't end up attending, you want them have a high opinion because they will likely remain in medicine in some capacity, and that's how you build a good reputation.

I've noticed that I'm in a very ranty mood lately. Sorry, I'll stop.

Members don't see this ad.

no activity here for a couple of days..

any new intw invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about my secondary application. I submitted my secondary mid October, and my status says they've received my secondary, payment, and AMCAS application. However, my letters of evaluation section is blank and it says "In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office." I checked with my school's premed advisor and she said all my letters have been sent. Do I need to worry and do they not list premed committee letters? Thanks.

Does NYMC accept letters of interest? They seem like a school with too many applicants to really care about an informal LoI, but at the same time, sometimes in these massive applicant schools they are the only way to stand out : /

on my interview day, the dean of admissions said that he encourage updates because every time you send in something new, they have a policy that the file has to be reviewed again.. Not sure if this means anything post interview but that's what he said

If he said, I don't remember. I would assume it would be for both, but I don't know

How lenient is NYMC in terms of evaluation letters? Have people with a letter from a science professor (who you haven't taken a class with, but have worked for without academic credit) gotten them to accept it as an academic science reference?

i've been complete and under review since 8/13/2009, just wanted to see if this is a normal thing considering my three month anniversary with NYMC is tmrw :D

decent stats, oos

Interviewing next week! The 17th... will I see any of you there?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear back post-interview? I know they said 8-10 weeks, but what about those who interviewed early?

anyone hear back post-interview? I know they said 8-10 weeks, but what about those who interviewed early?

I interviewed there the first week they offered them. Nothing yet

the dean of admissions at my interview said that if it is after the 8-10 week period, to call the office and ask for him and he will tell you the decision over the phone..

I interviewed on the first day, Sep 21 and they told us that we would be hearing back on December 1st; however, People heard back on Nov 26 last year.

I have a question about my secondary application. I submitted my secondary mid October, and my status says they've received my secondary, payment, and AMCAS application. However, my letters of evaluation section is blank and it says "In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office." I checked with my school's premed advisor and she said all my letters have been sent. Do I need to worry and do they not list premed committee letters? Thanks.

It's too early to start worrying about them asking you to interview. HOWEVER, if it's only the letters of recommendation you're worried about, I would call them. I was complete for 8 weeks or so before I called them about the very same issue. The guy, who was rude, eventually said my application was complete. The next time I went on there, my letters were there and it said that my application was completed on the day I CALLED, and that it is going under further review. So yes...to avoid being annoyed like I was/am, give them a call. Good luck.

I'm kind of worried. After like... a month or two I finally have my loRs listed, but it still did not say my application is complete or even under review. =/

Does anyone know if and how NYMC likes to receive an update on an activity? I recently created a charity event and am helping to organize it. I think it would be great to have in my application, but do not know where to send it? Should I e-mail it to someone or mail it to the mailing address?

I would have included it in my secondary, but the event was only approved last Thursday long after I submitted my application. Thanks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if and how NYMC likes to receive an update on an activity? I recently created a charity event and am helping to organize it. I think it would be great to have in my application, but do not know where to send it? Should I e-mail it to someone or mail it to the mailing address?

I would have included it in my secondary, but the event was only approved last Thursday long after I submitted my application. Thanks.

They said during my interview that they love updates. An email to the admissions office should suffice.

OH YES SWEET, my application is FINALLY complete!!! After like... a month of waiting.

** Your Secondary Application was completed on 11/16/2009 and is currently under review. **

OH YES SWEET, my application is FINALLY complete!!! After like... a month of waiting.

** Your Secondary Application was completed on 11/16/2009 and is currently under review. **

Only a month. Damn, mine took two! :thumbup:

Interview invite. Complete on 7/30. Talk about a long wait.

congratulations!!! i've been complete a since august so you're giving me some hope :) was it via e-mail or status page?

Interview Invite this morining, my fourth one.

I was complete on 08/25/2009.

Interview Invite. Complete 10/07... I am so excited. But this is my first interview so I am also a little freaked out.

Congratulation to all for invite!!! can yu please post stat? I am still waiting completed 10/5!!!

What kind of dates were available for interview?

Interview invite!!! Im so excited since this is my first invite, I had begun to lose hope. For those interested, Im an OOS with 3.56 GPA and 36 MCAT.

Interview invite!!! Im so excited since this is my first invite, I had begun to lose hope. For those interested, Im an OOS with 3.56 GPA and 36 MCAT.
Congrats! :thumbup: when were u complete?

what's the best way to travel here from western long island? i'm considering driving, but traffic might be bad. any suggestions would be appreciated.

FIREitUP, I would just drive, there is no easy way through public transportation to get here. And it's really not far at all if traffic is decent. I would think there would less northern bound traffic in the morning than city bound so it shouldn't be a big issue IMO.

FIREitUP, I would just drive, there is no easy way through public transportation to get here. And it's really not far at all if traffic is decent. I would think there would less northern bound traffic in the morning than city bound so it shouldn't be a big issue IMO.

thanks, i figured driving would be the least hassle, since their directions for public transportation were kind of vague.

Is anyone interviewing on Feb 3rd? I am currently holding a Feb 2nd date and would love to trade!

it would make my travel much less complicated and save me some serious stress.

thanks!

Is anyone interviewing on Feb 3rd? I am currently holding a Feb 2nd date and would love to trade!

it would make my travel much less complicated and save me some serious stress.

thanks!

is such a thing... possible?

Hey- I interviewed today and despite some bad reviews, I had a very nice time. My interviewer was super friendly as were the tour guides. The building where classes are held was quite nice, and the campus feel was great. Now just more of the waiting game I suppose. Good luck to everyone with interviews coming up! :thumbup:

Hey, does anyone know how many students are in the class of 2009, at NYMC?

Hey, does anyone know how many students are in the class of 2009, at NYMC?

160+

I don't remember the actual number, check the spreadsheet in the what are my chances section of the forums.

How lenient is NYMC in terms of evaluation letters? Have people with a letter from a science professor (who you haven't taken a class with, but have worked for without academic credit) gotten them to accept it as an academic science reference?

anyone?

Is anyone scheduled to interview on the 23rd? Hope to see some of y'all there.

GL everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.