2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed Mid November, a little before your date.

Members don't see this ad.

amazing waitlist birthday present. not surprising, considering my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha you're not going to believe this but my bday was yesterday and that's when I also got my WL letter XD

I just withdrew my acceptance, hope one of you gets it!

Haha you're not going to believe this but my bday was yesterday and that's when I also got my WL letter XD

My interview (Jan 6th) was on my bday.

Anybody else on that same day? I was the Asian dude.

Where is the status page? I can't seem to find it.

It explains it in the email you got from them about the secondary application:

"Once your application has been completed, you can check on-line for updates to your application status and see which of your evaluation letters we have received at http://www.nymc.edu , click on School of Medicine, click on Admissions, click on Secondary Application.and choose Check Application Status."

You also need the log in information that was provided with that email (the password is random letters and numbers).

Hey guys-

I was wondering if anyone knows if they accept a decent amount of people out of the interviews in March. Basically, does anyone know how much of the class is filled up yet? I'm fretting that my interview is so late it isn't going to do me much good (March 16th). Thanks!

Dave

Tons of people are interviewed after March (through May) and accepted without going through the waitlist. I think 5 or 6 people in my class interviewed on the very last day of interviews in May last year. NYMC doesn't interview for a waitlist and trust me, a late interview doesn't necessarily mean bad news. PM me if you have any more questions and best of luck!

The academic medical centers of NYMC are Westchester Medical Center and St. Vincent's (in NYC). Most clinical rotations, staff, residency programs etc come from those two hospitals. Both are level 1 trauma centers. Westchester Medical Center has a brand new children's hospital and a burn center.

Metropolitan hospital (NYC) and Danbury Hospital (Connecticut) are university hospitals of NYMC. Danbury is also affiliated with UConn and Yale, and I believe they provide free housing. Not bad, eh?

Danbury Hospital will no longer affiliate with NYMC starting after this semester. This was announced a few days ago by the Dean of Students.

As for St. Vincent's:

http://www.ny1.com/5-manhattan-news...t-s-hospital-could-close-in-proposed-takeover

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any good way to send NYMC updates/how do we send them updates?

Hi everyone, just wanted to give an update on my experience thus far at NYMC.

I have a 28Q MCAT, and a 3.79 GPA. I interviewed Dec. 17 and am waiting to hear back from them. I had a great interviewer, and we chatted for nearly an hour. It was very laid back and there was no interrogation or ethical questions; we mostly discussed the research I've done, and other medical experiences on my AMCAS (shadowing, medical assistant, etc.) - all of which my interviewer seemed genuinely interested in.

We also discussed how I am spending my time (I graduated last May), and what would happen if I didn't get into medical school. He of course wanted to know why I would like to go to NYMC, and I also made it abundantly clear that this was a top choice for me. All in all I was very pleased with the interview process - it was very friendly, easygoing, and I really felt as though I was just sitting back and having a chat with a professor, rather than being grilled for acceptance into school. To top it off, my interviewer on his own walked me all the way out of the building, as we just continued to casually talk about medicine and medical school; a class act if you ask me. I couldn't have been happier with my experience and sincerely hope I get in to this school.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask, hope this information was useful.

To top it off, my interviewer on his own walked me all the way out of the building, as we just continued to casually talk about medicine and medical school; a class act if you ask me.

Lol :laugh:...This reminds me of myself...a couple years ago (5 to be exact), i had the same experience when I interviewed for a MD-PhD slot at a top notch medical school...I was so confident that I felt like popping the champagne bottle; I even went to a bar to celebrate...guess what??? weeks later only to learn that I was waitlisted and eventually didn't get in. I was devastated and felt wrong. Good thing though i was eventually offered a spot on their PhD program. Now, that I am almost done, I am re-applying to medical schools.

Lesson here: Don't be overtly confident based on your interaction with an interviewer. Ultimately, the committee is the one making THE decision. Don't get me wrong, always do your best in an interview, but don't read the tea leaves if it goes extraordinarily well.

Lol :laugh:...This reminds me of myself...a couple years ago (5 to be exact), i had the same experience when I interviewed for a MD-PhD slot at a top notch medical school...I was so confident that I felt like popping the champagne bottle; I even went to a bar to celebrate...guess what??? weeks later only to learn that I was waitlisted and eventually didn't get in. I was devastated and felt wrong. Good thing though i was eventually offered a spot on their PhD program. Now, that I am almost done, I am re-applying to medical schools.

Lesson here: Don't be overtly confident based on your interaction with an interviewer. Ultimately, the committee is the one making THE decision. Don't get me wrong, always do your best in an interview, but don't read the tea leaves if it goes extraordinarily well.

Most of the time they do walk you out of the building and keep talking with you (they realize you probably have no clue where you are). I think a lot of times it's a continuation of the interview and people let their guard down during it (they're more likely to admit to stuff they would never say in an interview).

And yeah, I had a wonderful set of interviews this year at Albany and I was very confident following them. I was waitlisted (or UC listed). We'll see if I do get accepted there, but the point is that I certainly wasn't at the top of their list even with two great interviews.

SO true.

^^ I had a similar experience that I think is worth sharing. After my interview at a medical school in PA, I received an email from my INTERVIEWER saying that he was impressed by my answers to all the questions that he asked. In addition, he asked me if I could email him my decision once the school gets back to me since it'll take some time for him to know my decision officially.....8 weeks later I was rejected. My interviewer said that he was SHOCKED to hear that and it could be other parts of my application that the committee thought were not impressive. Long story short, do not believe in what these interviewers say becasue at the end of the day its the committee that decides. Interview is just ONE part of the puzzle.

Thanks for the responses everybody. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. At the end of the day though, I was just trying to show people too that you can have a positive experience at the NYMC interview, as it seemed that so many people had negative things to say. Best of luck!

I'm requesting a moratorium on the phrase "at the end of the day" or any similar variants for SDN and RL. That's the most annoying and overused phrase I've ever heard/seen. It's more annoying than "all righty then" was immediately after the Ace Ventura movies.

I submitted mine in late July and they didn't confirm it until about a month. If it took forever back then, think about how long it takes during the busy part of the cycle!

So yeah, it probably really did take them that long.

Dude, I've been complete and "under review" since July!!

That's where I send everything. Do they ever respond to you? I'm thinking of calling and asking if they ever received any of my stuff.

No, they didn't write back and I've been thinking of calling myself.

Interviewers generally like you... it's the adcoms that will kill you.

Of course, interviewers are there to grade your passion / comm. skills, etc., and those do play into your final grade. However, in a numbers game, the safest things to have are the old standbys, high MCAT+GPA.

I had Dr. Edward Hanin and the interview lasted about 30 min. And, yes, it only snows in the winter...

What does NYMC really brag about? Are they more clinical or rsch oriented?

What does NYMC really brag about? Are they more clinical or rsch oriented?

Clinical, but I'd say there's plenty of research for med student involvement.

Specifically, they brag about the "diversity" of clinical sites. That is, you can experience tertiary care suburban medicine, urban medical centers of various size and location, and more rural/country locations. That's probably not something you'd get to do at many other medical schools. Understand that some of the affiliated hospitals are in financial trouble right now, and the situation may change.

...but I'd say the one thing NYMC really "brags" about is excellent preparation for the boards, translating into excellent residency placement.

Last edited:
Clinical, but I'd say there's plenty of research for med student involvement.

Specifically, they brag about the "diversity" of clinical sites. That is, you can experience tertiary care suburban medicine, urban medical centers of various size and location, and more rural/country locations. That's probably not something you'd get to do at many other medical schools. Understand that some of the affiliated hospitals are in financial trouble right now, and the situation may change.

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with that. There aren't many schools that can brag about having clinical experience in both NYC and rural parts of NY. Most are one or the other. Since NYMC is a mostly a stand alone medical school, the research aspects are lacking in comparison to those affiliated with universities.

I lauded their boards and primary care matches.

Does any know what would be the best way of sending updates to NYMC regarding new experiences, activities etc?

Thanks

Don't worry...so did I. And if I had to guess, I'd say quite a few other people did too...

Laud is one of those weird verbs that sounds negative if you're not familiar with it. I am, and sometimes I forget it means something good. Here's a trick:

It used to mean "to praise the lord" or something like that. Laud is like "lord" with an LI/NYC accent. So to laud something is to praise it. Yay

That's probably a terrible way to remember it though.

Has anyone who interviewed in the month of December received any word about their status?

has anyone sent an email to them and had it responded to? i'm using the [email protected] address and no one responds to my emails. :confused:

I interviewed on December 2nd and heard back on January 12th.

odd...i interviewed on dec 7th but haven't heard back yet. well, they did say 8-10 weeks and it just became 8 weeks...you heard back rather early

odd...i interviewed on dec 7th but haven't heard back yet. well, they did say 8-10 weeks and it just became 8 weeks...you heard back rather early

More deliberations is worse, not better, lol.

Yeah, I was surprised to hear back so early. I think 8-10 weeks is the norm though.

So my stuff was not complete till 1/20... took forever for my grad prof to send in a letter of rec. Can someone give me an idea of if I get an interview when that will be? :confused:

@ Bug... NYMC interviews well into the spring.

ps. I'm a second year and grew up in the area, if anyone has questions on life in Valhalla.

wow ok thought i was the only one. i've sent two emails and no response! ...are u going to try calling soon?

wow ok thought i was the only one. i've sent two emails and no response! ...are u going to try calling soon?

haha no...its not just you. and glad to hear it isnt just me. i've sent them several emails and they have not responded. i may call them in a couple minutes to check. i'll post if i find anything out.

Status
Not open for further replies.