2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VALHALLA — After nearly a year of negotiations, Touro College has agreed to pay $60 million to buy New York Medical College, the Archdiocese of New York announced.

Touro, a Jewish university with campuses on Long Island and in New York City, will assume control of the Valhalla medical school in mid-2010, according to Catholic New York, which is published by the archdiocese.

The archdiocese will put about $30 million immediately into a fund for New York Medical College's business, operations and programs, with the remainder deposited in an endowment fund that will be used exclusively for the archdiocese's health care programs for those in need, the announcement said.

[snip]

It is unclear how Touro's takeover of New York Medical College will affect faculty or students.

In the spring, a group of students were opposed to the sale, citing concerns over Touro's reputation after two of the college's employees were indicted in a well-publicized "cash for grades" scheme in 2007.

Other students expressed anger over the lack of transparency. Many students said they learned their medical school was for sale through reports in The Journal News.

http://www.lohud.com/article/200912...lege-to-buy-New-York-Medical-College-for--60M

$60 million seems really cheap... considering tuition of 200 students over 4 years is easily $35 million.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody else been 'completed and under review' since August and haven't heard anything at all? Tried calling and was told still in review. Have they sent out pre-interview rejections yet at all?

Has anybody else been 'completed and under review' since August and haven't heard anything at all? Tried calling and was told still in review. Have they sent out pre-interview rejections yet at all?

Yup. Still under review since late August...hoping for some love...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think at my interview date, the guy said that you can call him if he hasn't gotten back to you by the second week of Jan

When I interviewed on Nov. 11th he said to expect to hear after 6 weeks...but the website says 8-12 weeks. I tried calling the admissions office, but "status checks" isn't an option on their menu. Hmmm...

Has anyone heard from them? Do they send out acceptances in waves?

I was complete 9/30, and still have not heard back. That must mean a rejection right?

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the same boat. it's wreaking havoc on my mental state.

Yea...it's horrible. I've also been waiting since August. My app is still under review. I'm pretty sure this will be a silent rejection.

Yippeeeee.

Yea...it's horrible. I've also been waiting since August. My app is still under review. I'm pretty sure this will be a silent rejection.

Yippeeeee.

Not at all ...
hope this short story gives people hope.
A girl I worked with was invited to interview in March, interviewed in April. She was complete during the previous summer. She was eventually accepted off the waitlist.

Not at all ...
hope this short story gives people hope.
A girl I worked with was invited to interview in March, interviewed in April. She was complete during the previous summer. She was eventually accepted off the waitlist.

two years ago, i was complete in september, invited for an interview in april, interviewed and accepted in may.

I have a few questions for the admissions office at NYMC, but it seems like all of the options for phone number at the admissions office are automated. Anyone know the best way to get through and talk to a live person?

I am canceling my interview today. Good luck to whoever gets it.

Just canceled my interview on 1/13/10 in case anyone wants to reschedule.

Just got the acceptance email, my first one! Interviewed 11/25. :thumbup:

Congrats everyone on their acceptances and interviews: just got my acceptance email!! yay

Good stuff in here today! :)

I got an interview invite as well. Thought my 100 dollars went down the drain but woohhhoooooo it didn't!!!!

Has anyone tried calling the admissions office for any information? I have been complete since 8/20 and still haven't heard a peep!

Still waiting post-interview. Interviewed 11/10...there's no date next to "decision sent" on the status page. Hope to hear something soon!

Still waiting post-interview. Interviewed 11/10...there's no date next to "decision sent" on the status page. Hope to hear something soon!

I don't know if they actually update the "decision sent" thing on the status page... I got my decision letter in early December and they still haven't updated that field on the status page

Thanks for the info. I wonder why they email some and send a letter to others. Either way, I'm waiting eagerly.

Just got my acceptance email!! Definitely attending :)

Just to calm my nerves, you can get an acceptence through snail mail as well? Or just email? Any word on waitlists/rejection letters?

It looks like you get accepted via email (then snail mail), and rejected or waitlisted via snail mail. I hope I'm wrong though!

Hey guys-

I'm interviewing 03/16. So late, but I'm holding out hope. Where has everyone been staying? Have you used the student housing option? Thanks in advance! <3

Hey guys-

I'm interviewing 03/16. So late, but I'm holding out hope. Where has everyone been staying? Have you used the student housing option? Thanks in advance! <3

I used the nearby La Quinta and it was ~$100 or so for one night. One of the people who interviewed with me used the student host option, however, and believe me - the student housing is as close as you possibly can be to the administration building, so that may help you make your decision on what to use.

congrats!

Still no news post-interview.... interviewed 11/21!
Probably waitlisted? =/

I interviewed two weeks before you but just heard back yesterday, so I think you're jumping the gun a bit. Remember it's 8-12 weeks, and plus you were right before Thanksgiving and then we just had Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.