2009-2010 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nope it's already done (33Q balanced) but GPA is average or below average

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my primary 06/03, verified 06/06, got an email from Wayne stating my verified app was received on 07/08, still haven't got a secondary three weeks later. Anyone got a similar wait on their hands?

:( coulda got screened, 3.33 GPA, 32 MCAT non MI resident, but they haven't sent me anything at all

guess I should be patient, the email says that it could take one to six weeks, but I know people who applied after me that have received a secondary already.bad sign I guess

I submitted my primary 06/03, verified 06/06, got an email from Wayne stating my verified app was received on 07/08, still haven't got a secondary three weeks later. Anyone got a similar wait on their hands?

:( coulda got screened, 3.33 GPA, 32 MCAT non MI resident, but they haven't sent me anything at all

guess I should be patient, the email says that it could take one to six weeks, but I know people who applied after me that have received a secondary already.bad sign I guess

verified 7/2, about 3.4, 30R MCAT, non MI resident, also haven't received it....I thought the screens wouldn't be this high....

Members don't see this ad :)
verified 7/2, about 3.4, 30R MCAT, non MI resident, also haven't received it....I thought the screens wouldn't be this high....

The screen isn't just a numbers screen. I had a meeting with an admissions advisor in April and she said they would actually look at the entire application when deciding to send secondaries or not. With that said, she did tell me that OOS applicants have a much tougher time getting in.

The screen isn't just a numbers screen. I had a meeting with an admissions advisor in April and she said they would actually look at the entire application when deciding to send secondaries or not. With that said, she did tell me that OOS applicants have a much tougher time getting in.

Do you mean OOS will have tougher time making the first cut or tougher time getting interviews?

hey im am MI resident with a pretty decent gpa(about 3.8). The only problem is i did bad on my mcat but am retaking it August 21. Do you think they could reject me before the secondary or would they wait for my mcat.

Did you mark on AMCAS that you would be retaking? If not, it is possible if your MCAT is low enough.

I also have the same question as the poster above. I didn't do as well as I know I could for the May 28th (26Q) exam so therefore I am retaking Aug 25th and have indicated this on my AMCAS. However, I have not received a secondary for WSU. They sent me an email July 8th saying my app has been received and is being reviewed, but I have not heard any word at all. Could I have been screened? FYI instate and cGPA 3.65 sGPA 3.57.

I also have the same question as the poster above. I didn't do as well as I know I could for the May 28th (26Q) exam so therefore I am retaking Aug 25th and have indicated this on my AMCAS. However, I have not received a secondary for WSU. They sent me an email July 8th saying my app has been received and is being reviewed, but I have not heard any word at all. Could I have been screened? FYI instate and cGPA 3.65 sGPA 3.57.

you could be screened if your MCAT is below their threshold,which is why you need to let Wayne know you are scheduled for a retake...A classmate of mine was accepted with a 27, so you could be close, but why risk it...

Did you mark on AMCAS that you would be retaking? If not, it is possible if your MCAT is low enough.

According to the admissions rep. I spoke with in April they will wait for your updated score no matter what your previous score is as long as you indicate that you are retaking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the admissions rep. I spoke with in April they will wait for your updated score no matter what your previous score is as long as you indicate that you are retaking it.

Yeah as long as it's indicated I'm sure it's fine, and you are taking it early enough that scores will come out while they are still receiving applications from AMCAS of course (which you already said you are). You just will be complete later then others.

Crap, I just realized this application was due on Friday. Do you guys think postcard on Friday is ok, or should I contact them to tell them to expect a delay in my applications...?

Crap, I just realized this application was due on Friday. Do you guys think postcard on Friday is ok, or should I contact them to tell them to expect a delay in my applications...?

Your secondary was due or the primary was due then? Isn't it a little early for application deadlines?

Edit: Were you EDP?

Your secondary was due or the primary was due then? Isn't it a little early for application deadlines?

Edit: Were you EDP?

No, I'm not EDP. And I mean secondaries... due Friday, as in 4 days from now. x_x

They say to have your application in 4 weeks from the day you receive the secondary. I wonder if they mean postmarked by...

No, I'm not EDP. And I mean secondaries... due Friday, as in 4 days from now. x_x

They say to have your application in 4 weeks from the day you receive the secondary. I wonder if they mean postmarked by...

Most likely postmarked by that date. I would get it done by tomorrow and mail it out though.

any interviews so far?

for anyone who has sent in their secondary, do they send you a notification that your materials were received? i send in my stuff a few weeks ago but have heard nothing, but my LORs were not in until just recently. do they wait until they have everything?

never got a secondary...I'm guessing I was screened out..30, 3.5 OOS

for anyone who has sent in their secondary, do they send you a notification that your materials were received? i send in my stuff a few weeks ago but have heard nothing, but my LORs were not in until just recently. do they wait until they have everything?

I received an e-mail from them the day after I mailed the supplemental application--indicating that my file is complete. My house is within 20 miles of their campus, though.

Here is the e-mail's content...

"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to [email protected]. We appreciate your continued interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine."

thx guys...it looks like they send you an email after everything (including LORs) are in.

I wanted to point out that Wayne's admissions process flowchart has removed all ambiguity associated with applying to medical school...

http://www.med.wayne.edu/pdfs/admissions_process_flowchart.pdf

They should add another step at the very beginning.

Submitted AMCAS received. Does the applicant need this flowchart to understand the medical school application process?
Yes -----> Rejected
No------> Sent to preliminary review.

Just got the secondary today... low GPA, 38 MCAT, OOS
thought I had been screened out...

First round of invites went out on August 18th last year. We should be hearing soon...

I was notified by email the day after they received my secondary.

Do you guys think it is bad to write fewer than 1500 characters for these prompts? I wrote about 1000, and just feel like I'm BS-ing to stretch it to 1500. Do you think it will make me look like I don't care enough to put the time into the application if I leave the answers around 1000 characters?

Do you guys think it is bad to write fewer than 1500 characters for these prompts? I wrote about 1000, and just feel like I'm BS-ing to stretch it to 1500. Do you think it will make me look like I don't care enough to put the time into the application if I leave the answers around 1000 characters?

1000 is completely acceptable. Do not BS.

First round of invites went out on August 18th last year. We should be hearing soon...

hopefully there's some good news from wayne, after the BU and VCU rejections, I really hope Wayne pulls through for me.

...I do so hope to get into Wayne State, I dare say it is my first choice: I was born, raised, and am raising my family within SE Michigan...I turned down M.I.T. for University of Michigan in engineering undergrad...I've worked here for over 10 years despite the rough times...If I have to move out it will be difficult for my wife and kids and in-laws and friends.....I just hope that the admissions recognizes informally or formally people who are committed to the local community...

Well, I received my Wayne Pre-Secondary rejection letter this weekend. Since I was verified way back in June, I knew it was not good that they hadn't got back to me right away. I am a little surprised, but I have no hard feelings, honest! My wife, who is a law school grad from WSU is upset! So is one of my letter writers who is associate faculty at the med school! But I've got too much on my plate to dwell on it too much. Best of luck to all of you.

Press on Regardless!
Peace out!

-vc7777

Well, I received my Wayne Pre-Secondary rejection letter this weekend. Since I was verified way back in June, I knew it was not good that they hadn't got back to me right away. I am a little surprised, but I have no hard feelings, honest! My wife, who is a law school grad from WSU is upset! So is one of my letter writers who is associate faculty at the med school! But I've got too much on my plate to dwell on it too much. Best of luck to all of you.

Press on Regardless!
Peace out!

-vc7777

I am very surprised, I thought Wayne would be all about you. Good luck at OSU though, I'd love to go there.

I am very surprised, I thought Wayne would be all about you. Good luck at OSU though, I'd love to go there.

Thanks! As an update: WSU's office is very helpful. They offered right in the rejection letter an invitation to call them and to go over my application in person and to give me suggestions about strengthening my application in the future. I just assumed the meeting would be after the application cycle is over (like my Mayo rejection which emphatically states). I was pleasantly surprised when they offered to set up a meeting with the assoc. dean as early as two weeks from now!

I have to say, that is a class act. :thumbup: They obviously don't have to do that, and I think highly of them for this opportunity.

While the meeting is after my OSU interview, it is ahead of my next interview by a week or so. I am looking forward to expert, constructive crticism of my app.

I truely hold no grudge against wayne sate, and I am grateful for the feedback they are offering to give me!

Anyway, my mantra has been "It is a human, and imperfect process." I just have to remind myself that no matter what I think, it will not play out like I expect or hope.

But I digress, I wish all of you out there the best of luck with Wayne!

-vc7777

Thanks! As an update: WSU's office is very helpful. They offered right in the rejection letter an invitation to call them and to go over my application in person and to give me suggestions about strengthening my application in the future. I just assumed the meeting would be after the application cycle is over (like my Mayo rejection which emphatically states). I was pleasantly surprised when they offered to set up a meeting with the assoc. dean as early as two weeks from now!

I have to say, that is a class act. :thumbup: They obviously don't have to do that, and I think highly of them for this opportunity.

While the meeting is after my OSU interview, it is ahead of my next interview by a week or so. I am looking forward to expert, constructive crticism of my app.

I truely hold no grudge against wayne sate, and I am grateful for the feedback they are offering to give me!

Anyway, my mantra has been "It is a human, and imperfect process." I just have to remind myself that no matter what I think, it will not play out like I expect or hope.

But I digress, I wish all of you out there the best of luck with Wayne!

-vc7777

thats awesome, do you know if they allow for such meetings only for a select students or can oos rejects can also take advantage of something like this. BTW, i think you're MCAT should more than make up for your GPA. I think you have a good chance at other instate schools if you explain the discrepancy in your GPA.

Interview Invite!

Got the email just now! Complete 7/28

congratulations, looks like they're finally sending invites, can you let us know if you're IS or OOS/ and stats so other people can guage themselves.

congratulations, looks like they're finally sending invites, can you let us know if you're is or oos/ and stats so other people can guage themselves.

is.

My primaries were sent last Friday, and I haven't gotten a "primary recieved" email. I know that they need to screen for my secondary, but should I be worried about them not having received my primary since they have not notified me of it yet?

give it some time, it took them two weeks to get my verified primary.

Do we get a "you are complete" email? Cause all I got was a "we've received all your materials" email.

thanks!

Don't stress about the slowness of Wayne. If you attend you will notice that's the norm. If I remember correctly it wasn't until the end of August when I received my secondary application and I applied in the very beginning of June.

is there anyone here who has received the secondary even though the mcat score from retake is not released? thanks

is there anyone here who has received the secondary even though the mcat score from retake is not released? thanks

hello arep....i was in that situation....i did think they will wait for ur scores but i got mine before that....

Does anyone know what the chances are of getting an interview once you get a secondary?

Invited for an interview September 15

Letter in packet dated August 25

Secondary application complete August 3

I hope I get this! I'm a reapplicant! I want to go to Wayne VERY badly!

Status
Not open for further replies.