2009-2010 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You did NOT go wrong. Period.

Even as an older student I too get caught up in the introspective and obsessive doubt about my application. Can anyone truly blame any of us for second-guessing every step of the process? We have spent much of this winter and spring studying for a single exam, asking people we respect and admire to critically write about our character, and then spent the whole summer writing essays dominated with the words 'ME' and 'I'. Is it any wonder when we have setbacks we reflexively think it is our 'fault'?

Remember: It is a human and imperfect process.

Chin up. Move on. However, if you can't yet move on...

I believe they offered you an opportunity in your rejection letter to talk to the dean about your application?

...I had my meeting a couple of weeks ago...

My advice: See if you can do it over the phone. They are not going to change their minds when you meet. Also, note that the assistant dean admitted he did not review my personal statement and I suppose based on his concerns with my primary that he didn't review my letters of recommendation either. I would be surprised if your appointment would be any different.

It hurt, mind you. No way around it. Not fun to hear that I am not competitive this application cycle from a medical school dean.

The unexpected up-side of my meeting was that it was final. I confirmed that he was not going to change his mind. It was closure for me. No sense in annoying or arguing with him, now is there? He encouraged me to continue with my post-bacc coursework and apply again next cycle. He had all the power, so I politely thanked him for his time, shook his hand, and left. I had done everything reasonably within my power. End of story.

I am not getting any younger. My goal was to get into WSU this time last year. I didn't dare dream of anything more than that. I still dream of going to medical school. Just not at WSU. Best laid plans of mice and men...

I said up-side because I am now 100% in the mindset of moving out-of-state and re-inventing my family's life and future. It is scary and exciting all at once! When I went to my second of six interviews (thus far) the week after my meeting with WSU, I came off genuinely sincere about attending their school. That much I got out of my meeting.

Onward, my dear friend. Onward, and upward.

Best of luck to all the WSU applicants on this thread.

Best of luck to you in particular, ltw902.

Your fellow Wolverine,
vc7777

Welll said. Gave me goosebumps reading this.

I have a phone appointment set up for October. The thing is, though, I'm doing the Special Master's Program at Georgetown and I was hoping they would wait to see my grades... Bleh, oh well.

Thanks for everyone's support! Best of luck to everyone.

Best of luck to you, too, vc7777.

Go BLUE! (We actually have a football team to root for this year!)

Members don't see this ad.

Wohoo finally complete here! Received the e-mail today. That was my last secondary. I'm tempted to add more schools but I'm broke!

Isn't it funny -- life revolves around going home from work & hoping for a large manilla envelope, containing interview invite!!!
Get lots of large stuff in the mail lately -- magazines, newspapers, other cr`p but no manilla envelope.
Good luck everyone.

I think your GPA is your problem, especially since you don't have an above average MCAT to compensate (though your MCAT is really good). Regardless, in general Wayne seems much more forgiving of a low MCAT score if the rest of your app makes up for it, then of a low GPA. I guess it might also depend on the break down of your GPA... what grades were lowest and when you took those classes (e.g. were you improving over time, or were your junior/senior grades not great, etc).

I hope everything works out for you and you get in somewhere else. If you end up reapplying and you'd like to go to Wayne, I'd consider a post-bacc.

I retook my MCAT because I thought I could do better. My second time around, I had to drive 2 hours to get to my testing site and I was burnt out by then...

As for my GPA, my GPA steadily went up throughout my four years. Started at a 3.1 my freshman year and all the way up to a 3.7 my senior year. The lowest grade I got was a C, which I retook and got an A. Now I'm doing the SMP at Georgetown, but I guess Wayne State didn't wait for my grades to come out. That's okay, though. There are more chances since I just graduated last spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
rejected via snail mail today. Letter was dated only a few days ago - they must have wanted to send the sucker to me in no time :thumbdown:

I have a phone appointment set up for October. The thing is, though, I'm doing the Special Master's Program at Georgetown and I was hoping they would wait to see my grades... Bleh, oh well.

Go BLUE! Ha! Thanks, ltw902. Awesome: I seriously looked into the georgetown program, excellent opportunity. I know a significant portion of your classmates apply to Georgetwon with some success, right? How many credits do you have in the program? I took post-bacc at Oakland Univ.. Supposedly, there is a 20 credit minimum for WSU to consider your post-bacc grades if you are a returning student. I only had 18 hours...

PM me if you want to hear my take on my meeting.

Interview invite today via snail mail, no email. IS. Postmarked September 22nd. No idea why it took so long to get here. I was complete 7/16.

Last edited:
Interview invite today via snail mail, no email. IS. Postmarked September 22nd. No idea why it took so long to get here. I was complete 7/16.

What day is your interview -- just wondering what months/days are already filled.

If you think yours was long, mine was post-dated August 27 and I didn't receive it until September 16 (that's almost 3 weeks)... I'm also an international but I live near the US/Canada border. I wonder what happened there...:confused:... on the positive side, the interview experience was really awesome and I really liked what the school had to offer :D

Interview invitation received on Saturday. I don't remember the postmark date, but the letter date was 9/23. Invitation for 10/30. OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what Wayne's screening criteria is?
Just got rejected today, presecondary.
MCAT: 31O
GPA: 3.1 but with strong upward trend from the 2.6 i had in sophomore year.
Practicing EMT, research experience with an upcoming publication, volunteer work, MI resident, Dad's an alumnus of the med school... I would've thought I'd at LEAST get a secondary... this one stings bad because it was my first choice.

Practicing EMT, research experience with an upcoming publication, volunteer work, MI resident, Dad's an alumnus of the med school... I would've thought I'd at LEAST get a secondary... this one stings bad because it was my first choice.

It's got to vary since I have a 28P, and a very weird gpa that looks low but did 2 years post-bac which was very high. Something must have concerned the reader, like the vc77 dude, who like I said, i would have thought would have been a shoe in for Wayne.

I don't think they have a strict criteria for screening. I know if you do poorly in your undergrad they are very willing to give you a chance if you can prove yourself in a post-bac program. I graduated with an overall 3.0 from Michigan, with my science gpa being lower than my overall, but then I 4.0ed my 25 credits of post-bac classes at Wayne and got a 32 on my MCAT. My overall GPA is now a 3.2 and my science GPA is only a 3.0 now, even though all those 25 credits were science courses. Before starting at wayne, I was told I needed to finish 20 credits of "upper-level science classes" and they would take more weight on those 20 credits than my undergrad GPA.

Anyways, I was offered a secondary after all of that. No publications, only 6 months of research. in state, no connections at wayne but I also had some extraordinary volunteer experience and not just the typical volunteer at a hospital/doctor's office or whatever.

Interview invite today via email!

OOS, complete July 17th.

What date is your interview. Congratulations. Good job.

I just got an interview invite! It came via email, and a letter is supposed to be coming in the mail as well with parking passes etc. It is for November 5th!

Any others interviewing on that day?

interviewed recently. loved the school. good luck to everyone interviewing/interviewed!

I just got an interview invite! It came via email, and a letter is supposed to be coming in the mail as well with parking passes etc. It is for November 5th!

Any others interviewing on that day?

PS21 are you OSS? I ask because some of the SDNers have got email AND mail invites & some have received mail only. I am thinking, maybe OOS get email + mail & IS get mail only.

well i'm OOS and i interviewed there a couple of weeks ago and just got a letter in the mail, no email.

I'm OOS and they sent an email with the invite and said the snail mail letter was being put in the mail the next day.

give them a call and ask for an appointment to discuss your application (good and bad) with the Dean of Admissions.
Worse thing that can happen is that they say no. Best case, they point out a few areas that could be strengthened (GPA, LORs, etc).
Either way, historically WSU looks favorably on the persistent reapplicant.

for the people rejected: wayne state seems to care A LOT about GPA and not as much about mcat.. for example, i have a friend with a 27 mcat, 3.9 GPA, international student who got accepted at WSUSOM and nowhere else.

I am actually in state. I haven't received the letter in the mail yet, but I did only get the interview email on Friday.

for the people rejected: wayne state seems to care A LOT about GPA and not as much about mcat.. for example, i have a friend with a 27 mcat, 3.9 GPA, international student who got accepted at WSUSOM and nowhere else.

I think they like both to be decent, but when I met with an admissions counselor a few months ago, she told me the "whole package" is more important than any one component.

Interview invite today :) My interview isn't until Oct 23.. I know they start giving acceptances on Oct 21 - will my interview date put me at a disadvantage?

I wouldn't think so at all as many people get in after interviewing well into the new year. Plus, I think I saw somewhere that they have 7 or 8 dates throughout the cycle that they'll be accepting applicants.

can we reschedule interviews or are they set in stone?

Am I the only one who still hasn't received a secondary yet? I wrote the Sept 3rd MCAT and released my score last Monday.

Any replies would be appreciated :)

Am I the only one who still hasn't received a secondary yet? I wrote the Sept 3rd MCAT and released my score last Monday.

Any replies would be appreciated :)

I took/wrote the Sept. 10 MCAT (scores released last friday) and just received my secondary this morning...I bet you'll get yours tomorrow provided it's a decent score ;).

Hi there,

Does anyone know if Wayne State sends out complete emails? I know they've received my secondary because the payment has been processed, but I haven't heard anything from them otherwise...

Thanks!

To all of you WSU applicants! Good luck! Out of complete idle curiosity, when do you folks expect to start hearing back? Soon?

I will just post this now to put a bug in people's ears: I will most likely be moving out of state now that I have a couple acceptances. I will have a house to rent in an excellent school district.

For those future WSU med students with families: It is a nice, relatively easy commute to the campus from here on a pothole-free highway.

It'll be a win-win. Top schools and safe neighborhood without the commitment of buying, with awesome neighbors for you. For me, I get to not go bankrupt trying to sell a house I owe too much on! :laugh:

Seriously, for now my family wants to move back after school to SE Michigan, and if I can get away with hanging onto my house that I have, great! Also, there is some wonderful karma-like feelings to offering affordable housing for a fellow med student's family while here. Of course, helping pay the mortage isn't bad either! :rolleyes:

Take care all,

I'll check in now and again to see how things are going!

Good luck! :luck:

Hi there,

Does anyone know if Wayne State sends out complete emails? I know they've received my secondary because the payment has been processed, but I haven't heard anything from them otherwise...

Thanks!

Yeah they do.

Is anyone else interviewing on November 5th? I have heard that they really dig into your primary/secondary application, anyone else have info on the interview?

hey ps21,

check out the interview feedback: http://more.studentdoctor.net/interviewlist.php?school=149

your interviewer will be very familiar with your primary and secondary apps. s/he will be your advocate to the admissions committee and so I'd suggest you use your interview time to go into more detail on the things from your apps you consider most important and also to discuss anything else you want the committee to know about you. my interviewer could not have been any nicer and the interview was very relaxed and conversational, yet very thorough wrt my background and my interest in/fit for the school.

I very much enjoyed my interview day and I was very impressed with Wayne State. good luck to you on the 5th!

For non-EDP applicants, the first date for decision notifications is tomorrow, October 21 . . .

Am I the only one getting very nervous/anxious about this?

Just got an e-mail from Wayne saying that the admissions committee could not come to a decision about my application, and they want me to come in for a second interview. I called and scheduled one for the 2nd of November. I asked the person I called about it and she said that the interviewer was unsure of how to present my application to the committee.

Any thoughts?

Just got an e-mail from Wayne saying that the admissions committee could not come to a decision about my application, and they want me to come in for a second interview. I called and scheduled one for the 2nd of November. I asked the person I called about it and she said that the interviewer was unsure of how to present my application to the committee.

Any thoughts?

Well it's not a rejection. So. That's good. Otherwise it's peculiar to me. i would think hard about whatever could have generated hesitation on their part and try to present yourself well to address it in the 2nd interview. Good luck.

Interview invite! :)

Postmarked: 10/15 (no email tho)
Interview Date: 11/19
Secondary complete: 9/2

:D

Any thoughts?

I'm glad they're willing to give you another look just because the interviewer didn't know how to present your file well, most schools would probably just reject you. Good luck on your second interview.

For non-EDP applicants, the first date for decision notifications is tomorrow, October 21 . . .

Am I the only one getting very nervous/anxious about this?

yeah im really nervous this is one of my top choices, it would be such a huge relief

Waitlisted . . . UUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

yeah im really nervous this is one of my top choices, it would be such a huge relief

me too sucks... i guess the good news is wayne state reviews our application every month and we'll hear another decision next month? to be honest, i really dont know how it works since nobody will withdraw their application this early though

me too sucks... i guess the good news is wayne state reviews our application every month and we'll hear another decision next month? to be honest, i really dont know how it works since nobody will withdraw their application this early though

withdrew! good luck to whoever gets my interview slot

Did you get snail mail; email -- I guess my questions is -- how did you find out???

They sent out emails today to the first batch of people who interviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.