2009-2010 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Invited for an interview September 15

Letter in packet dated August 25

Secondary application complete August 3

I hope I get this! I'm a reapplicant! I want to go to Wayne VERY badly!

they're giving invites by mail?

Members don't see this ad.

Invited for an interview September 15

Letter in packet dated August 25

Secondary application complete August 3

I hope I get this! I'm a reapplicant! I want to go to Wayne VERY badly!

Congrats on the invite!! Do you mind sharing your stats? And did you get an invite last year? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
interview invite for 9/21, it was post marked on august 27th.

I was complete 7/22, OOS

interview invite for 9/21, it was post marked on august 27th.

I was complete 7/22, OOS

Did you get a complete email, or did you get one saying:

"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to [email protected]. We appreciate your continued interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine."

Did you get a complete email, or did you get one saying:

"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to [email protected]. We appreciate your continued interest in Wayne State University School of Medicine."

I got the one you posted.

Just got the interview invite by mail too. The letter said Aug 27th on it.

Congrats to all who received invites!!

Thanks. I received a complete email on 7/16
So it looks like a 6 week decision time for Wayne State interviews. Is that what other interviewees have observed, or did it take longer to invite neuromcdoctor b/c of the International status? Obviously the mailing time was longer, but the postmark was 6 weeks after the secondary complete email was sent.

Members don't see this ad :)
So it looks like a 6 week decision time for Wayne State interviews. Is that what other interviewees have observed, or did it take longer to invite neuromcdoctor b/c of the International status? Obviously the mailing time was longer, but the postmark was 6 weeks after the secondary complete email was sent.

Mailing time shouldn't have been longer for me since I am currently residing in the US.

Mailing time shouldn't have been longer for me since I am currently residing in the US.
Why did it take until today for you to receive the letter if the post mark was 8/27? No letter from within the US to a US address should take 13 days to arrive. Is this a PO BOX that you don't check daily?

Why did it take until today for you to receive the letter if the post mark was 8/27? No letter from within the US to a US address should take 13 days to arrive. Is this a PO BOX that you don't check daily?

That is a question you should probably take up with the mailman. P.S. who uses PO boxes?

My MCAT scores went in 9/8, I got an email to complete secondaries 9/9, mailed secondaries 9/10, received the "received secondary" email 9/11. That's some quick work, I would say.

interview invitation! via postal mail. a large, rather thick manila envelope. I saw it and thought, either this is good news or else they are sending my application back to me!

I'm OOS. good luck to everybody!

interview invitation! via postal mail. a large, rather thick manila envelope. I saw it and thought, either this is good news or else they are sending my application back to me!

Congrats & good luck. What date you interviewing?

Good work. When was your Wayne State secondary app verified as complete? And did you also receive an email from Wayne State along with the mailed packet?

Congrats & good luck. What date you interviewing?

thanks! early October...I'm trying to keep somewhat anonymous, not that I have anything to hide, I just don't like to put too much info. out there... I will say that I received my "received/complete" email the 2nd week of August

I vaguely recall somewhere upthread someone said he thought Wayne State interviews in descending order of MCAT score. I think this must not be the case...

oh, and I just looked at your md app, housemd? - yay nontrads!

Good work. When was your Wayne State secondary app verified as complete? And did you also receive an email from Wayne State along with the mailed packet?

no email just the packet. I was complete 2nd week of august. so, there was a month between that and the invite. good luck to you!

no email just the packet. I was complete 2nd week of august. so, there was a month between that and the invite. good luck to you!
Ty for sharing. It is strange that some have reported both packet and email. Best of luck with your interview.

Interview invite today. WSU undergrad student 3.69/34R. Complete around august 1st.

Interview invite today. WSU undergrad student 3.69/34R. Complete around august 1st.
Congrats! Email, mailed packet, or both? Plus what kind of options do they give you for the interview? What dates do they currently have available?

Congrats! Email, mailed packet, or both? Plus what kind of options do they give you for the interview? What dates do they currently have available?

the letter tells you the date of your interview. it also says if you have questions to call them, I took that to mean that you call if you need to reschedule. there is nothing in the letter to indicate that you need to contact them to confirm the interview date they have assigned you, so I suppose they assume you will show up when scheduled unless you tell them otherwise

Interview invite today :) My interview isn't until Oct 23.. I know they start giving acceptances on Oct 21 - will my interview date put me at a disadvantage?

Last edited:
Interview invite today :) My interview isn't until Oct 23.. I know they start giving acceptances on Oct 21 - will my interview date put me at a disadvantage?

well, since the class size is 250+ (I believe this is the case, someone pls correct me if it is not) and it seems unlikely they will have even *interviewed* 250 ppl, let alone accepted that number, before 21 Oct. I think you should not worry! or at least find something else to worry about!:luck: best of luck to you

well, since the class size is 250+ (I believe this is the case, someone pls correct me if it is not) and it seems unlikely they will have even *interviewed* 250 ppl, let alone accepted that number, before 21 Oct. I think you should not worry! or at least find something else to worry about!:luck: best of luck to you

As far as I know Wayne State does not have a rolling admissions system. Therefore, it does not really matter when you get your interview. They have monthly quotas for acceptances and these remain the same for every month. The committee meets near the end of each month and they make their decision about the applicants who interviewed that month. You, the student, then call them near the end of the month (they specify the date) and ask about their decision (accepted, no decision/still under review or rejected). But rejections are generally highly unlikely.

Anybody know how many they interview and how many they accept??

based on the MSAR, last year, Wayne gave out 653 interviews to in state students, 272 of whom matriculated (1376 IS applicants total). They gave out 219 interviews to out of state students, 26 of whom matriculated (2189 OOS applicants total). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out how many people they actually accept, since those numbers aren't posted anywhere that i can find.

based on the MSAR, last year, Wayne gave out 653 interviews to in state students, 272 of whom matriculated (1376 IS applicants total). They gave out 219 interviews to out of state students, 26 of whom matriculated (2189 OOS applicants total). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out how many people they actually accept, since those numbers aren't posted anywhere that i can find.
Wayne seems selective which should make for a diverse class.

Last edited:
i emailed them for a status check and they say no decision has been made regarding an interview...hmmm
wondering if that is a hold or something else.

GPA: 3.35
MCAT: 30Q last year, 30R this year

Interviewed last year but waitlisted. Michigan resident went to UMich for undergrad.

Where did I go wrong??

Interviewed last year but waitlisted. Michigan resident went to UMich for undergrad.

Where did I go wrong??

Do you have medical voulnteer work? Do you have good reasons to go into medicine -- not just I want to go there -- I want to go there because such & such experience in my life has given me such & such insight.
I obviously dont know your application, so, sorry dude (tte). I hope you get in some other school & things work out for you.
Good luck.

Where did I go wrong??

also, they might be expecting a significant improvement from you since you are a reapplicant.

Why would you retake with a 30Q? That was my exact score. That wasn't your problem. Your problem was the 3.35. You also need to say what other experience you brought to the table.

Where did I go wrong??

I think your GPA is your problem, especially since you don't have an above average MCAT to compensate (though your MCAT is really good). Regardless, in general Wayne seems much more forgiving of a low MCAT score if the rest of your app makes up for it, then of a low GPA. I guess it might also depend on the break down of your GPA... what grades were lowest and when you took those classes (e.g. were you improving over time, or were your junior/senior grades not great, etc).

I hope everything works out for you and you get in somewhere else. If you end up reapplying and you'd like to go to Wayne, I'd consider a post-bacc.

Good luck to everyone applying to Wayne this year!! I was accepted last cycle but deferred a year, so I hope to see some of you next summer!

I might be kind of late here but I just sent in my secondary yesterday.

I was verified 9/3/09
OOS
MCAT 29S
GPA 3.55
cGPA 3.28

It was a LONG secondary......anyways I'm kind of a late person but hopefully an interview?

Invite for 10/27!
Complete 8/25
I called their office for a status update this morning and they said they had just sent out my invite packet yesterday :)

Invite for 10/27!
Complete 8/25
I called their office for a status update this morning and they said they had just sent out my invite packet yesterday :)

Congrats. Are you in state or OOS?

Wohoo finally complete here! Received the e-mail today. That was my last secondary. I'm tempted to add more schools but I'm broke!

Where did I go wrong??

You did NOT go wrong. Period.

Even as an older student I too get caught up in the introspective and obsessive doubt about my application. Can anyone truly blame any of us for second-guessing every step of the process? We have spent much of this winter and spring studying for a single exam, asking people we respect and admire to critically write about our character, and then spent the whole summer writing essays dominated with the words 'ME' and 'I'. Is it any wonder when we have setbacks we reflexively think it is our 'fault'?

Remember: It is a human and imperfect process.

Chin up. Move on. However, if you can't yet move on...

I believe they offered you an opportunity in your rejection letter to talk to the dean about your application?

...I had my meeting a couple of weeks ago...

My advice: See if you can do it over the phone. They are not going to change their minds when you meet. Also, note that the assistant dean admitted he did not review my personal statement and I suppose based on his concerns with my primary that he didn't review my letters of recommendation either. I would be surprised if your appointment would be any different.

It hurt, mind you. No way around it. Not fun to hear that I am not competitive this application cycle from a medical school dean.

The unexpected up-side of my meeting was that it was final. I confirmed that he was not going to change his mind. It was closure for me. No sense in annoying or arguing with him, now is there? He encouraged me to continue with my post-bacc coursework and apply again next cycle. He had all the power, so I politely thanked him for his time, shook his hand, and left. I had done everything reasonably within my power. End of story.

I am not getting any younger. My goal was to get into WSU this time last year. I didn't dare dream of anything more than that. I still dream of going to medical school. Just not at WSU. Best laid plans of mice and men...

I said up-side because I am now 100% in the mindset of moving out-of-state and re-inventing my family's life and future. It is scary and exciting all at once! When I went to my second of six interviews (thus far) the week after my meeting with WSU, I came off genuinely sincere about attending their school. That much I got out of my meeting.

Onward, my dear friend. Onward, and upward.

Best of luck to all the WSU applicants on this thread.

Best of luck to you in particular, ltw902.

Your fellow Wolverine,
vc7777

Status
Not open for further replies.