2010-2011 Howard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder when they will start handing sending out interviews. I looked at last years thread and it was around the first week in september. I hope I get one.

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my AMCAS around the same time, August 9th, and just received Howard's secondary. I'm sure yours is on the way...

YAY! just got my secondary today! so happy : D

I'm a OOS student, so hopefully I get an interview : ( :xf::xf::xf::luck:

Took my MCAT today AND got my Howard Secondary...Wooo hooooo!!!!

Great finish to an amazing day:)

I'm from TX and Howard is def one of my top schools. I wanted to go here for undergrad but my mom wouldn't let me. My aunt graduated from here and one of my friends went here. It would be a dream come true!!

Finishing my secondary tomorrow, and CLAIMING an interview!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Help me guys!

I read that Howard requires 2 letter from two science professors and I think I'm in trouble!

Here is my situation. I have 1 letter from a science professor already but as for the second one, it is from a scientist I did a Independent Research Study with. I did get credit for this , it is a pass/no pass thing. I don't know if this letter will qualify as a "science professor " letter. :confused::(

I was so happy today when I received my secondary but...now I'm so sad....:(

Help me guys!

I read that Howard requires 2 letter from two science professors and I think I'm in trouble!

Here is my situation. I have 1 letter from a science professor already but as for the second one, it is from a scientist I did a Independent Research Study with. I did get credit for this , it is a pass/no pass thing. I don't know if this letter will qualify as a "science professor " letter. :confused::(

I was so happy today when I received my secondary but...now I'm so sad....:(

Is the scientist affiliated with your undergraduate institution? If they were I would think the letter will pass. They instructored/mentored you and you received credit from them. Check and check!

Is the scientist affiliated with your undergraduate institution? If they were I would think the letter will pass. They instructored/mentored you and you received credit from them. Check and check!

Okay! I will call them today and check : ) Thanks! :xf::rolleyes:

"We have received your secondary application and secondary application fee. Thank you.

IF AMCAS HAS RECEIVED YOUR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, CONSIDER THAT YOUR FOLDER IS COMPLETE."

I received this today but wasnt sure if this is the official complete email. Anybody else marked complete?

"We have received your secondary application and secondary application fee. Thank you.

IF AMCAS HAS RECEIVED YOUR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, CONSIDER THAT YOUR FOLDER IS COMPLETE."

I received this today but wasnt sure if this is the official complete email. Anybody else marked complete?

I got this too and am considering it as a "complete email".

Yes, I got this as well. I figured its as close to a complete email as your going to get.

What a mean email to send along with the secondary. No this, no that, don't do this and don't do that...

Let's not make this similar to last year's thread. I don't think anyone is trying to be rude- just being clear about their expectations.

hey .... how long does it take for them to email you as complete? also is there any way to check your status online?

I got my complete email 3 days after sending it. But I did send it like 2 days after it came out. On the email it says wait up to 4 weeks after you send it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my complete email 3 days after sending it. But I did send it like 2 days after it came out. On the email it says wait up to 4 weeks after you send it.

how long were your reponses to the questions? I do not want to write too little, however I do not feel they want an essay.....

Just got an interview invite. The first date is September 29th. Not much time to make travel arrangements.

Congrats! May I ask when you were complete? Also, was it by email?

I received the complete email on 8/20. I received an emailed interview invitation from Ms. Walk. FYI, the invite said that 10-15 students will be invited a day. Good luck.

Merging two threads on the same topic. Some slight disorientation may ensue, but will likely resolve quickly.

I was marked as complete 8/19. So maybe Im getting a rejected email eventually.:(

My response for the questions was short. I don't think they want an essay. An the less they have to read the better. Hope we get lucky with this school. Let's all pray.

My response for the questions was short. I don't think they want an essay. An the less they have to read the better. Hope we get lucky with this school. Let's all pray.
yep they do not send rejection emails. they just leave you hanging till you eventually give up on the hope

how long did it take to be marked complete?

My application got there yesterday and it has been marked as complete this morning. So I'll say about 1 day after receipt of your materials... I just wish I sent it earlier seeing that some folks already have Interview.

Also, the email says that about 300 people are interviewed and their website lists class size is 114... so I'm betting they accept over 250 students because not all accepted applicants will enroll; so I would say if you get an interview, you'll have upwards of 80% chance of getting accepted.

Not bad huh? My 2 cents.. ..:D

I just found this on last years page.....

"I noticed this from US News: 5635 applied, 328 interviewed, 261 were accepted, 114 enrolled"

That is a 79.6% acceptance rate post interview... DANG, I'M GOOD.

You think Howard would want me because of that???:love:

In all seriousness, Congrats to the person who got an interview, that is a really good sign.

Last edited:
I sent my application in last week and still no complete email yet. Should I be worried, i'm thinking of calling them to find out if my application has been received?

got my interview invite today-sept 29th. super excited!:thumbup:

got my interview invite today-sept 29th. super excited!:thumbup:

I got an interview invite as well!!!! whoo!! first one, so excited!! gonna register for the september 29th as well. hope to see u there :)

Wow.. Congrats guys!! Nice work. I swear I checked my email like 50 times today.

Im starting to feel like Im getting a rejection from this school. I have two other interviews but Im sad about this one. I liked this school.:(

You haven't received a rejection letter (they give those out later in the game) so keep the faith, its a long waiting game. :luck:

Stay blessed.

Im starting to feel like Im getting a rejection from this school. I have two other interviews but Im sad about this one. I liked this school.:(

Congrats :D

When were you complete?

thanks! i sent my secondary in on 8/21 and got the "complete" email on 8/25. quickest turnaround ever.

I got an interview invite as well!!!! whoo!! first one, so excited!! gonna register for the september 29th as well. hope to see u there :)

awesome!

Wow.. Congrats guys!! Nice work. I swear I checked my email like 50 times today.

which is why it's nice to have my email synced to my phone.:cool:

Application complete 8/31... interview invite 8/31, lol. i guess that's a good sign? stat wise.. cgpa 3.82, sgpa 3.72, mcat 25Q..

lol dannnng
They're not messing around this year, hoping for my invite:xf:
Congrats to you on your invite and stats:thumbup:

Application complete 8/31... interview invite 8/31, lol. i guess that's a good sign? stat wise.. cgpa 3.82, sgpa 3.72, mcat 25Q..

yeah same for me too, completed and invited for interview 8/31. congratulations to you all!

Comon howie.... show a brother some luv... I managed to squeak a 29 MCAT (not the best, i know)... so show me summa that interview thangy~!

Give the brotha a break~! I need it, lol. I'ma go crazy waiting, lol. I dont even think I can wait another 2 months for this thing right here to settle down.

Last edited:
I feel you I wonder if it's random and does not matter when your application is complete.
But we do have to realize they evaluate us on our PS, ECs, and LORS.
It's hard not to check the email every ten minutes knowing that they're sending out invites so soon.

By the way I was complete 8/25

:xf::luck:

Comon howie.... show a brother some luv... I managed to squeak a 29 MCAT (not the best, i know)... so show me summa that interview thangy~!

Give the brotha a break~! I need it, lol. I'ma go crazy waiting, lol. I dont even think I can wait another 2 months for this thing right here to settle down.

Last edited:
I feel you I wonder if it's random and does not matter when your application is complete.
But we do have to realize they evaluate us on our PS, ECs, and LORS.
It's hard not to check the email every ten minutes knowing that they're sending out invites so soon.

By the way I was complete 8/25

:xf::luck:

I know, I know.... thanks for keeping me a lil grounded. I was trying to jovial about my predicament;

the wait is sure tough though, worse than the MCAT wait since we knew with +/-1 day certainty when our scores would be released. This is more difficult because it could happen anytime within a 4month period, so constantly checking emails every 30mins would definitely have residual effects on hardening once arteries, thereby minimally raising one's blood systemic and pulmonary pressures for the rest of our lives. In order words, applying to medical school have a overall effect of shortening our lifespan... not cool :mad:

I guess that Patience is a Virtue thing should be taken seriously, huh?

Last edited:
This has probably been asked before, but here goes.

What does Howard look for in applicants. Do they select a lot of African Americans? I'm not African American but I do have roots in Africa. Should I consider applying?

Technically, everyone has roots in Africa. Have you researched the school? Is it a good fit for you?

Well waiting is so hard. Man these secondary apps are annoying.

How much space do we have to answer each of the miniessay questions? Are we allowed to hit enter and move the next question down a few rows, or are we supposed to leave it be?

sigh my app arrived at howard aug 26 and i still havent gotten the complete email! should i worry?

How much space do we have to answer each of the miniessay questions? Are we allowed to hit enter and move the next question down a few rows, or are we supposed to leave it be?
u can only have one additional page so when you fill in your answer make sure that you dont add more than a page to the whole application

Like with any other school, we should give them at least 3-4 weeks before we panic.
But I guess you could call if it makes you less anxious about it. I received the "we received your payment" email on the 25th if that places things into perspective for you.

Good luck :)

sigh my app arrived at howard aug 26 and i still havent gotten the complete email! should i worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.