2010-2011 Howard Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How much detail should we include on the questions like what do you plan to do after residency? Should we use this section to talk about our past experiences, motivations, etc., or limit it to a couple sentences about our future plans?

Members don't see this ad.

For that question I wrote a little about my past experiences that led me to the decision to want to practice in an underserved community because I thought it they would be like....ok so you say you want to do this, but why? Mine was about a paragraph long. I elaborated a little more on these experiences during the "have you ever worked with the underserved" question.

Can someone please post the questions of the secondary application all in one post.
It seems like the questions are scattered in various posts....

Please, it would be a great help to get it done on time...
sorta applying late :p;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Im not trying to be a butt, but the secondary is on the website. You can download it and do it. Im just trying to help. Hope that helps.

Sorry to nitpick, but do you think the adcoms will mind if I alter the fonts a little (to fit in more words)?

So I was reading last years thread, and it seems like applying to early may have worked against us. Hear me out. We all know that applying early is key especially since 6000 ppl apply. But on last years thread it seemed like a lot of ppl that applied early, when the secondary first came out, never heard anything after that. Maybe they wait to see what the pool of ppl are coming in for the year. We dont really know anything yet seeing as they just started sending invites but if they are going in the order they recieved apps then they would go over our apps first, right? I dunno how they do it.

I just want to mention that I find it terribly annoying that Howard "silently" rejects people the way that they do. I've sent them hard earned $$ to process my application, and I'm essentially paying them to judge the materials and eventually inform me of their decision. Where does my money go? I will say in their defense that they probably hold on to all the applications until the end of the cycle in case they need to pull out a name in a last ditch effort to fill their entering class, but I also think that a medical school shouldn't be so wishy washy..

Either way, I would be glad to even be considered for an interview, but the application process is already difficult enough without having to read the Howard adcom's minds.

I do agree. It would be a lot easier on the applicants to just know if there rejected. And it would be easier on the admissions staff because ppl wouldnt call wanting to know there status of there app.

I just want to mention that I find it terribly annoying that Howard "silently" rejects people the way that they do. I've sent them hard earned $$ to process my application, and I'm essentially paying them to judge the materials and eventually inform me of their decision. Where does my money go? I will say in their defense that they probably hold on to all the applications until the end of the cycle in case they need to pull out a name in a last ditch effort to fill their entering class, but I also think that a medical school shouldn't be so wishy washy..

Either way, I would be glad to even be considered for an interview, but the application process is already difficult enough without having to read the Howard adcom's minds.

is anyone complete here yet? when did you mail in the secondary?

is anyone complete here yet? when did you mail in the secondary?

I got a complete the very next day my applications got there... (i paid extra to track my applications and to also make sure it got there the next day). I would give them a call, if you think it's been more than a week since they received your apps... and you also have a complete application.

Even though I got a complete on 8/31, I have no invite yet... the anxiety is wrenching, but I've got to keep up the faith...

I got a complete the very next day my applications got there... (i paid extra to track my applications and to also make sure it got there the next day). I would give them a call, if you think it's been more than a week since they received your apps... and you also have a complete application.

Even though I got a complete on 8/31, I have no invite yet... the anxiety is wrenching, but I've got to keep up the faith...

so you mailed yours 8/30 and it was complete 8/31??

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you. I was complete on 08/19. So Im starting to worry. lol

correction: mailed on Fri 8/27, got there on Mon 8/30; complete Tues 8/31@9AM....

sigh mine arrived before yours and im still not complete! i tried calling once and a very aggravated person told me to wait four weeks.

sigh mine arrived before yours and im still not complete! i tried calling once and a very aggravated person told me to wait four weeks.

Shhssshh.... sorry about that (I don't know why I'm apologizing for Howie)... but in any event, I'm sure they probably get a lot of calls per day...given that it is currently the busiest part of the season... so you most likely got someone already on a short fuse... try sending an email or call in the morning when they haven't been bombarded with calls yet.

With emails, people usually (usually) calm down and think before they reply (unlike the sometimes unfiltered message you get on the direct phone conversation).

All I can say is that applying to medical school aint easy.... and it's a big F-ing Deal of head-ache... I've had the same thing happen to me at other schools I applied to. good luck though; hope we all get some good news soon.

I was speaking to a dental student who goes to Howard and he was telling me all the great things about the school. The only thing he advised me about applying is that the school is somewhat disorganized, so he said its very important to stay on top of things and if your application hasnt been updated to contact them. Lets hope we hear some good news soon, I hope they start sending invites soon :)

Can someone please post the questions of the secondary application all in one post.
It seems like the questions are scattered in various posts....

Please, it would be a great help to get it done on time...
sorta applying late :p;)
their secondary only came out 3 weeks ago so you are definitely not late and yea you can download the app online

Sending in my secondary a bit late, planning to send it in tomorrow. I have had the secondary for almost 3 weeks already. Is it bad to turn in the secondary late ?? :confused::(

Sending in my secondary a bit late, planning to send it in tomorrow. I have had the secondary for almost 3 weeks already. Is it bad to turn in the secondary late ?? :confused::(

Its better to apply as early as you can, but even if its a bit late its better than not sending it at all.. Good luck

definitely not late i did same

yay! Just got my complete e-mail! If you guys have any doubts about whether or not they have your application I would definitely call. I sent my secondary >2 weeks ago, and was getting nervous that it hadn't gotten there. I just called and the woman was extremely nice and took the time time to find my application even after she had gotten off the phone with me. Great experience. Just makes me like this school even more! Hoping for an interview invite!:xf:

I received this email a while ago, is that considered the complete email "We have received your secondary application and secondary application fee. Thank you.
IF AMCAS HAS RECEIVED YOUR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, CONSIDER THAT YOUR FOLDER IS COMPLETE.
ALL RECOMMENDATIONS AND MCAT SCORES APPEAR ON YOUR ELECTRONIC AMCAS APPLICATION WHEN WE OPEN YOUR AMCAS FILE ELECTRONICALLY"

I thought this is the complete email since they received my letters a month before that.

I received this email a while ago, is that considered the complete email "We have received your secondary application and secondary application fee. Thank you.
IF AMCAS HAS RECEIVED YOUR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, CONSIDER THAT YOUR FOLDER IS COMPLETE.
ALL RECOMMENDATIONS AND MCAT SCORES APPEAR ON YOUR ELECTRONIC AMCAS APPLICATION WHEN WE OPEN YOUR AMCAS FILE ELECTRONICALLY"

I thought this is the complete email since they received my letters a month before that.

Don't worry, that is the only email you'll get from Howie... i.e. until you get an interview invite. So i think you are good.

Hi! I have a question. Does anyone know when we can submit the seondary? My primary is verified. I downloaded the secondary from the website, however I have not received the offical invitation from HU to submit my secondary. Do I have to wait for their invitation?

Hi! I have a question. Does anyone know when we can submit the seondary? My primary is verified. I downloaded the secondary from the website, however I have not received the offical invitation from HU to submit my secondary. Do I have to wait for their invitation?

Yes you should wait until you receive an invitation, otherwise it might cause problems.

Their regular acceptance notice start october 15 and they havent sent out invites yet? that doesnt make sense, but hopefuly we hear something soon.

Their regular acceptance notice start october 15 and they havent sent out invites yet? that doesnt make sense, but hopefuly we hear something soon.

Some invitations have gone out. They started emailing people at the end of august.

I mailed my application in on 08/20 and got the "complete" email on 08/23. No interview invite just yet, but that doesn't seem to be too unusual.

This thread seems dead. Im wondering if you havent heard back in a month does that mean rejection? I wish they would just send out rejection letters. It would be so much easier.

I'm worried that I'll get overlooked also. I submitted my secondary (pre-amcas verificiation) about 2 weeks ago and I'm waiting on my new MCAT scores which I'll have on the 28th. I already got the "complete" e-mail even though I'm not actually complete bc my AMCAS isnt transmitted (hopefully by the end of the week) nor are my MCAT scores in. I jsut hope they don't over look my application since my secondary is already in. This is my TOP choice OOS school!

This thread seems dead. I'm wondering if you haven't heard back in a month does that mean rejection? I wish they would just send out rejection letters. It would be so much easier.

No they're not gonna send out ANY rejection letters until July when the accepted students start classes. I applied last year and that's how it happened..

Once your AMCAS is verified I would call ASAP, since your AMCAS isn't there yet. I bet it must be confusing for them because they have your secondary and no recollection of you applying to their school (Primary App) and I think it actually increases the chances of your application to get lost or overlooked.

:luck: to you

I'm worried that I'll get overlooked also. I submitted my secondary (pre-amcas verificiation) about 2 weeks ago and I'm waiting on my new MCAT scores which I'll have on the 28th. I already got the "complete" e-mail even though I'm not actually complete bc my AMCAS isnt transmitted (hopefully by the end of the week) nor are my MCAT scores in. I jsut hope they don't over look my application since my secondary is already in. This is my TOP choice OOS school!

I added Howard on 09/07/2010. My AMCAS was already verified but i have not gotten a secondary invite. Will it be okay to send in the secondary anyway?

Once your AMCAS is verified I would call ASAP, since your AMCAS isn't there yet. I bet it must be confusing for them because they have your secondary and no recollection of you applying to their school (Primary App) and I think it actually increases the chances of your application to get lost or overlooked.

:luck: to you

Any interview candidates willing to post their MCAT? I don't want to waste money on apps if I have no chance..thank you!

Call/mail the office to be sure. Or you could wait for the invite, one of the emails that received earlier on in the cycle suggested that we wait for the invite before we send it in.

I added Howard on 09/07/2010. My AMCAS was already verified but i have not gotten a secondary invite. Will it be okay to send in the secondary anyway?

I had a dream last night that I went to the admissions office at Howard and there were a ton of people there for interviews, and they all thought I was there for an interview, and I was really embarrassed because I didn't have one....and then I saw my secondary application on the counter strewn about like no one cared and I was sad. Hopefully this dream doesn't come true. :oops: Here's hoping!

I had a dream last night that I went to the admissions office at Howard and there were a ton of people there for interviews, and they all thought I was there for an interview, and I was really embarrassed because I didn't have one....and then I saw my secondary application on the counter strewn about like no one cared and I was sad. Hopefully this dream doesn't come true. :oops: Here's hoping!

That sounds more like a nightmare.... don't let the anxiety get to you though.... we got a lot more waiting to do; the 1st round of interviews have already rolled out. Hopefully, we'll be at the next.

Good luck and relax. Enjoy your time as a premed - it surely would be a lot busier next year. :thumbup:

Hey, is anybody else interviewing on October 5th?

Also, if anybody has interviewed at Howard before, are there any tips you can share with us? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
It doesn't seem like many interview invites have gone out....does anyone know how often they give them out? Is it like once a week or something? Ugh this process is going to make me crazy I swear! I mean why am I even thinking about how often they give out interviews? It's going to be a long year. haha. I guess I am just procrastinating writing my DO secondary essays. :rolleyes:

I sent my secondary about one week ago to Howard. How will we know that they have received it?
Should I give them a call? :confused:

I sent my secondary about one week ago to Howard. How will we know that they have received it?

You will receive an email stating they have received your secondary and application fee. My conformation email took about a week back in mid August.

I sent mine Aug 30th and it took them a little over 2 weeks to send me the confirmation email. Give it another week. :)

Hey, I am a current 2nd year student at Howard University College of Medicine (HUCM) and I am writing to answer a few questions that have been asked in the post and giving you guys an update.

So currently they are doing many renovations here at the College of Medicine and the construction workers just cut the phone line supplying the Office of Admissions. So, as of right now no calls are getting through to the admissions office however they do get students e-mails.

In order to maintain the family atmosphere and to really get to know the applicants the College of Medicine only interviews 20 students at a time. The interview invitations started going out a few weeks ago. Out of the 4,000+ applicants that submit secondaries, Howard only interviews 300-400 total applicants. So getting an interview invitation is a good indication that they are really interested in you as an applicant.

That being said, they take the time to read EVERY application and personal statement. This is not common practice among medical schools, however this is the way that Howard has been able to stay true to its mission of educating physicians who are more likely to serve underserved populations. Even though MCAT scores and GPAs are extremely important, those factors alone will not get you an interview at HUCM.

Another point is that they do not flat out reject applicants early in the process. The admissions committee is very receptive to students sending in updated MCAT scores (that may have significantly increased), post-bac or fall grades, completion of a research project/publication, or some activity that shows your willingness to serve underserved communities.

While no process is perfect, the faculty and staff on the admissions committee are quick and receptive to correcting problems and they do run a really tight ship. They usually send out an update before the holiday break to update applicants on where they are in the process. They also send out another update in the Spring.

That being said, may your application process be blessed. Have safe and prosperous travels throughout the interview season. If you have any questions then you can PM me.

Hey wassup everybody. I am a MSII here at Howard and wanted to stop by and say hello. If you have any questions just ask here on the board because someone else might have the same question and it might help them as well. I will try to check the thread as much as I can, but I will admit that 2nd yr is tough so my responses might not be the speediest. Howard is the BOMB and I love it here. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Submit your stuff early as possible. Have faith and trust God to bring you thru this process. God bless!

Thank you all the current medical students for dropping by and help us answer questions! You guys are the best :) make me like Howard more and more :D

Status
Not open for further replies.