2010-2011 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What would that be based on?

Members don't see this ad.

I had an interview this past Monday and I'm almost 100% positive Dr. Eubanks said the committee was meeting this Friday, the 15th.

I had an interview this past Monday and I'm almost 100% positive Dr. Eubanks said the committee was meeting this Friday, the 15th.

Thank you! That seems the most likely, especially since they typically meet the third Friday of every month. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that just a regular meeting or is it also the advocacy meeting as well for people currently on the wait list?

I am just confirming that the next committee meeting is today April 15. I believe this is the regular meeting. so Good luck!:xf:

Is that just a regular meeting or is it also the advocacy meeting as well for people currently on the wait list?

When you say wait list do you mean NFA or is there an actual wait list yet?

NP LSU2015! Does anyone know when we should hear from the admissions committee if we just recently interviewed? I was told that the interviews held Wednesday April 13 was the last set of interviews. I know they recently met this past Friday, so i was wondering how long it usually takes after the committee meet to hear something. Thanks

Good luck to everybody waiting! :luck: :xf:

We're approaching the point where there should be a lot of movement, so don't lose hope yet. Things should sort themselves out in the next month.

thanks! I'm so nervous..the waiting is the hardest part. Hope those last couple of interviews weren't for the wait list!

Does anyone have any advice as to whether its better to live off campus or on campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
On-campus:
Pros: Cheaper. Close to campus. School gym facilities are close-by.
Cons: Smaller. Nothing in the immediate area to do. There's only a subway and chinese restaurant. Residence Hall (apartments) has stoves but is older. Stanislaus (dorms) has no stove.

Off-campus:
Pros: Can choose an area with things nearby to do. usually better renovated and bigger. Can choose a place that allows pets.
Cons: Can be more expensive . Commute varies. You have utilities you have to pay for. Not many apartment complexes (there are some), so can be some footwork to find a place.

Those are the basics. Know a few people who live on campus who are continuing to living on campus and others who are moving off-campus for next year.

I plan to live on campus my first year (you know, in 2025...) simply to force myself to socialize more. I've never lived in New Orleans and I need all the friends I can get.

Has anyone called the office to ask if they're sending any kind of letters this week?

No letter here either.....I feel like I've pretty much wasted my spring break checking the mail lol

Nobody got anything? Maybe it wasn't a 'real' meeting... April 15 seems like a crazy day to have one, since it's the very day on which people have to decide which spot to keep.

Via private correspondence, NFAs were sent this week, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they sent out acceptances. Maybe they waited until Good Friday! :laugh:

I received the infamous NFA letter yesterday. I'm assuming the meeting was just for people who recently interviewed. I swear, I don't know if I can take much more waiting and uncertainty about my future.

Here's to waiting until May 15th :xf:

Question to those of you who applied this cycle:

What kind of flexibility did NO have in terms of letters of recommendation? Most schools seem to want two science letters and one non-science one, but the website for NO states that they want three science letters. Did anyone go through this with only two science letters? Where they receptive to doing this?

Thanks!

My first app I had 2 science profs and a sociology prof; I didn't get in, but I didn't get an email saying "please send us another letter because that one is invalid" either.

I'm guessing you're in the situation I was in, which was a choice between a non-science prof who really really really liked me and a science prof who gave me an A but barely knew me. I still think I made the right choice by going with the stronger recommendation, even if it was slightly off the beaten path. Better yet, probably, is to cover the bases and find somebody to write you a third science rec and just send 4 letters.

i also recently receive the infamous NFA letter as well... sigh.. the waiting is killing me..

about the letters of recommendations.. you definitely need 3 science recommendations.. my friend's application was considered incomplete because she only tuned in 2 science and 1 non science. However, her application was considered complete when she turned in another science recommendation. Hope that helps!

any other local acceptees so far? (by local I just mean in New Orleans right now)

MD/PhD'ers?

good luck to everyone still waiting to hear something more definitive than NFA!

also, anyone going to the "second look" thing next week?

Lastly, and probably most importantly, jazz fest?

I had a committee letter that I sent them which consisted of 2 science professors and a previous employer. They didn't say anything about it.

This NFA is killing me as well. Hopefully we all hear something soon!

I keep reading threads about waitlists and I really cannot figure out if LSU even has one. And yet it seems like if you're not waitlisted by the May 15 everyone-gives-up-their-spots deadline, you're definitely not getting in. Which leaves like... three weeks to get off NFA... and then three more to apply all over again.

:confused:

When I called last week, I was told that the April 15th meeting was an advocacy meeting. She said letters will be mailed out in 3 weeks. Sound like they will be mailing out rejection/ acceptance/ Or wait list letters then at that time.

I keep reading threads about waitlists and I really cannot figure out if LSU even has one. And yet it seems like if you're not waitlisted by the May 15 everyone-gives-up-their-spots deadline, you're definitely not getting in. Which leaves like... three weeks to get off NFA... and then three more to apply all over again.

:confused:

No, they do indeed make a waitlist. They meet mid-May and look at all the applicants they have sent NFAs. They then make a set-in-stone, numbered waitlist and as spots open up, they just go down the list.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

so are you saying those who receive NFA letters are automatically wait-listed?

so are you saying those who receive NFA letters are automatically wait-listed?

Dr. Eubanks explained the whole process to my interview group. I'm pretty sure he said that during that meeting when they looked at the NFAs, it was possible that they would decide on some rejections. Maybe someone else could confirm. I was spacing out a bit because it was making me exceedingly nervous to hear him talk about NFAs and rejections! :)

hey guys! Any LA residents who were accepted to both lsu and tulane? I'm still having last minute trouble deciding which one to take...I'm very much leaning towards LSU for financial reasons, but I also like tulane's public health program, and I am really ambivalent right now about committing to one. I got a good vibe on interview day about the administration, academics and student body at Tulane (but I also did at LSU lol).

Having grown up in a rural area, I know I want to be in New orleans, so that eliminated all other potential schools.

What do you guys think will be the big differences between LSU and Tulane in terms of student experience? I imagine that tulane attracts lots of OOS, and that's the big difference in where people are from. What were your reasons for selecting one over the other, for those who applied to both?

Regarding LSU vs. Tulane:

Well, if you decide to go to Tulane, then you open up a spot at LSU for one of us NFAs. Haha ;)

LSU is relatively cheap, practically state of the art, and the students are extremely prepared when they hit hospital rounds/clinicals. LSU students "match" very well.

Tulane is expensive, practically state of the art, and, from what I hear, their students are relatively (to LSU's) less prepared when they hit their initial hospital
rounds/clinicals. That is not to say they don't catch up quickly. Also, there is more prestige associated with the Tulane name.

To Tracy and ch1525:

ch1525 explained it correctly.

At this point, the NFAs are assigned to committees to be attenuated. For example, if there are 50 NFAs now, a committee may be told to cut that number down to 30 NFAs. Once they are at that 30, then they will have another "advocacy" meeting to prioritize (in terms of ranking) these 30 students. These 30 are on the waitlist.

That's how it was explained to me during the orientation meeting, more or less (more).

The way it was explained to me was that Tulane lets you learn and LSU forces you to do so. Both styles have their ups and downs. :D

hey guys! Any LA residents who were accepted to both lsu and tulane? I'm still having last minute trouble deciding which one to take...I'm very much leaning towards LSU for financial reasons, but I also like tulane's public health program, and I am really ambivalent right now about committing to one. I got a good vibe on interview day about the administration, academics and student body at Tulane (but I also did at LSU lol).

Having grown up in a rural area, I know I want to be in New orleans, so that eliminated all other potential schools.

What do you guys think will be the big differences between LSU and Tulane in terms of student experience? I imagine that tulane attracts lots of OOS, and that's the big difference in where people are from. What were your reasons for selecting one over the other, for those who applied to both?

I'll be going to LSU because of finances, the ~35k / year difference is huge, and if you're wanting to stay in New Orleans long term, the LSU name is equally respected locally. Tulane name sometimes carries more nationally, BUT medicine is different, we're all learning the same thing and taking the same boards so we're judged same in the end. I've also heard LSU students are doing better on board exams, so better results + better prices was enough to swing me to LSU.

Tulane does have some things in its favor. My impression is that Tulane has a more laid back atmoshere and it is more difficult to fail out than it is at LSU. Tulane has also done an excellent job with the community and student service learning, and they received an award from AAMC for community service efforts. The public health program is very strong and has a name that may carries internationally. I'm graduating from the SPHTM in May and may be able to help with any questions about that aspect.

But LSU also has its own public health program and community service programs. LSU may not be winning the awards and garnering the same national recognition for both, but the opportunities are there.

I know met posted a match list earlier in the thread. But this one's updated and takes out the preliminary years (plus the other list actually left off many of the PGY-2 matches). Plus, I took the time to sort it, so you better enjoy it.

By the Numbers:
Anesthesiology: 16
Dermatology: 5
Emergency Med: 9
General Surgery: 5
Surgery: 12
-Urology:2
-Oralmaxillofacial Surgery: 3
Family Medicine: 18
Internal Medicine: 38
Med-Peds: 3
Neurology: 3
OB/GYN: 8
Opthalmology: 5
Orthopaedic Surgery: 8
Otolaryngology: 4
Pathology: 4
Pediatrics: 16
PM&R: 2
Pyschiatry: 7
Radiology: 8
-Diagnostic 6
-Onc 2

Anesthesiology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Anesthesiology
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Anesthesiology
Wake Forest Baptist Med Ctr-NC Anesthesiology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Anesthesiology
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Anesthesiology
Emory Univ SOM-GA Anesthesiology
Emory Univ SOM-GA Anesthesiology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Anesthesiology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Anesthesiology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Anesthesiology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Anesthesiology
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Anesthesiology
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Anesthesiology

Dermatology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Dermatology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Dermatology
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Dermatology

Emergency Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Emergency Medicine
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Emergency Medicine
UCLA Medical Center-CA Emergency Medicine
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Emergency Medicine
Thomas Jefferson Univ-PA Emergency Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Emergency Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Emergency Medicine

Family Medicine
East Jefferson Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Med/Rural-Bogalusa
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Family Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Medicine
LSUHSC Lake Charles-LA Family Medicine
Halifax Med Ctr-FL Family Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Family Med/Swedish Med
U Florida COM-Shands Hosp Family Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Med/Rural-Bogalusa
Baton Rouge Gen Hosp-LA Family Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Family Medicine

General Surgery
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA General Surgery
Rush University Med Ctr-IL General Surgery
Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM General Surgery

Surgery
-LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-U South Ala SOM Mobile-Al Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Surgery-Preliminary
-LSU SOM-Shreveport-LA Surgery-Preliminary
-Medical University of SC Surgery-Preliminary
-Carilion Clinic-Virginia Tech Carilion SOM Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-U Mass SOM-Worcester-MA Surg-Prelim/Non-Desig
-LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Surg-Prelim/Designated - Oromaxillofacial Surgery
-U Washington Affil Hosps Surg-Prelim/Urology
-U Texas HSC-San Antonio Surgery-Preliminary/ Urology

Internal Medicine
U Texas Med Sch-Houston Internal Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Internal Medicine
Earl K Long Med Ct-LA Internal Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Internal Medicine
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Internal Medicine
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Internal Medicine
Palmetto Health Richland-SC Internal Medicine
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Internal Medicine
Banner Good Samaritan Med Ctr-AZ Internal Medicine
University of Virginia Internal Medicine
U South Alabama Hospitals Internal Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Internal Medicine
UC San Diego Med Ctr-CA Internal Medicine
U Rochester/Strong Mem-NY Internal Medicine
Univ Med Ctr-Lafayette-LA Internal Medicine
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Internal Medicine
Carolinas Med Ctr-NC Internal Medicine
U Colorado SOM-Denver Internal Medicine
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Internal Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth U Hlth Sys Internal Medicine
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD Internal Medicine

Medicine-Pediatrics
Medical University of SC Medicine-Pediatrics
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Medicine-Pediatrics
U South Florida COM-Tampa Medicine-Pediatrics

Neurology
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham Neurology
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Neurology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Neurology

OB-GYN
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
Earl K Long Med Ctr-LA Obstetrics and Gynecology
U Arkansas-Little Rock Obstetrics-Gynecology
Baylor U Med Ctr-Dallas-TX Obstetrics-Gynecology
St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY Obstetrics-Gynecology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Obstetrics-Gynecology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas Obstetrics-Gynecology/Dallas

Orthopaedic Surgery
U Arkansas-Little Rock Orthopaedic Surgery
Jackson Memorial Hosp-FL Orthopaedic Surgery
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
Emory Univ SOM-GA Orthopaedic Surgery
Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC Orthopaedic Surgery
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Orthopaedic Surgery
Massachusetts Gen Hosp Ortho Surg/Harvard Combined
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Orthopaedic Surgery

Ophthalmology
U Texas SOM San Antonio-TX Ophthalmology
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas*Ophthalmology
St. Louis University St. Louis-MO Ophthalmology
Brooke Army Med Ctr-Ft Sam Houston-TX Ophthalmology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA*Ophthalmology

Otolaryngology
University Hosps-Jackson-MS Otolaryngology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Otolaryngology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Otolaryngology
Mayo School of Grad Med Educ-MN Otolaryngology

Pathology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Pathology
Tulane Univ SOM-LA Pathology
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Pathology
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN Pathology

Pediatrics
U Texas Southwestern Med Sch-Dallas* Pediatrics/Dallas*
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA* Pediatrics*
U Colorado SOM-Denver* Pediatrics*
Morehouse SOM-Atlanta-GA Pediatrics*
Childrens Hospital-Oakland-CA* Pediatrics*
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN* Pediatrics*
Johns Hopkins Hosp-MD* Pediatrics*
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA* Pediatrics*
Vanderbilt Univ Med Ctr-TN* Pediatrics*
Our Lady of the Lake Reg Med Ctr-LA* Pediatrics*
U Arkansas-Little Rock* Pediatrics*

PM&R
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Phys Medicine & Rehab
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Phys Medicine & Rehab

Psychiatry
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Psychiatry
Hosp of the Univ of PA Psychiatry

Radiology
U Tennessee COM-Memphis Rad-Diag/U of TN Meth Hosp
Baylor Coll Med-Houston-TX Radiology-Diagnostic
Ochsner Clinic Foundation-LA Radiology-Diagnostic
Emory Univ SOM-GA*- Radiology - Diagnostic
Baptist Mem Hosp-TN Radiology- Diagnostic
LSU SOM-New Orleans-LA Radiology - Diagnostic
U Alabama Med Ctr-Birmingham*- Rad-Onc
U Texas HSC-San Antonio* - Rad-Onc

I was looking at last year's thread... the chatter about acceptances stopped around this time. I guess I am should just hold my horses until May 15th...

I was looking at last year's thread... the chatter about acceptances stopped around this time. I guess I am should just hold my horses until May 15th...

I seriously doubt anything will happen between now and May 15th. We're in that middle ground/limbo time.

Just keep hoping.

Yeah we gotta wait... Anyone know if it's still realistic to get on-campus housing?

Last edited:
I applied shortly after acceptance from early decision application, and I've only gotten a confirmation email from them that they received my application.

May 15th is coming up. That is a BIG day for y'all still waiting. Good luck to y'all!!!!!! I got placed on prioritized alternate list last year but hey I got in this year! Don't give up!!!!:xf:

Has anyone, from previous application cycles, gotten in after this May 15th deadline. Or has anyone gotten in off of the waiting list. I am just curious as to what my chances are, seeing as though it's quite late in the process and I interviewed 2/14...

What I'm not quite clear on is whether we're looking at this:

Situation A

1) Sometime this week or the next, people get waitlist letters
2) May 15th comes, a bunch of waitlist people get accepted
3) A few more get accepted over the summer

or

Situation B

1) On May 15th, a bunch of people get acceptances, the rest get waitlist letters
2) A few waitlist people get accepted over the summer

What I'm not quite clear on is whether we're looking at this:

Situation A

1) Sometime this week or the next, people get waitlist letters
2) May 15th comes, a bunch of waitlist people get accepted
3) A few more get accepted over the summer

or

Situation B

1) On May 15th, a bunch of people get acceptances, the rest get waitlist letters
2) A few waitlist people get accepted over the summer

Great question! I am thinking situation "B" is more along the lines of being correct based on what Dr. Eubanks said in my interview. It would seem pretty impossible that all the spots were offered before they concluded all interviews... The last interview date was April 23....

April 23rd was a Saturday...pretty sure they don't do interviews on Saturdays. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last interview date was actually April 13.

That's what I wrote in my notes. It's probably the week of the 20th or you may be correct. Either way, I hope they still have spots available. I don't want to automacally be waitlisted...

April 13 was the last interview date. -_- still waiting.. good luck guys!

April 13 was the last interview date. -_- still waiting.. good luck guys!
Thanks! I'm getting anxious so I applied to a one year masters program at tulane... I'm prepared to reapply but I hope I don't have to.

no problem! good luck with that! I am still waiting as well.. you thought you had a late interview date?? Trust me. Compare to me, it was pretty early. The most recent thing I heard from LSU was NFA.. so yea.. i am anxious as well.. I am also prepare to reapply..

Status
Not open for further replies.