2010-2011 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why have you chosen to apply to NYU School of Medicine?
(1500 chars max. Please type, do not copy and paste.)

Where do you see your future medical career?

Academic medical
Research
Health Care Administration
Private Practice
Public health
Business/Law
Other

Why?

Members don't see this ad.

Why have you chosen to apply to NYU School of Medicine?

Where do you see your future medical career?

Academic medical
Research
Health Care Administration
Private Practice
Public health
Business/Law
Other

Why?

thank you!

same as last years

Members don't see this ad :)
would it be appropriate to comment on multiple MCAT attempts here?

would it be appropriate to comment on multiple MCAT attempts here?

i dont think thats wut they are looking for but i dont see the harm in doing so.
they will probably be like...
" oh thats not what we meant but okay"

Has anyone tried actually copying and pasting the essays in? It says not too, but I was wondering if it would correctly submit if we save it as a .txt and paste it in. (I swear I'm not as lazy as I seem! :))

Has anyone tried actually copying and pasting the essays in? It says not too, but I was wondering if it would correctly submit if we save it as a .txt and paste it in. (I swear I'm not as lazy as I seem! :))

were going to be good friends someday you and i :p

Has anyone tried actually copying and pasting the essays in? It says not too, but I was wondering if it would correctly submit if we save it as a .txt and paste it in.

if it makes you feel any better, I'm copying/pasting anyway.

I get the feeling they say that to prevent careless character count mistakes, or formatting mishaps, etc. If you're going straight from a .txt, you shouldn't have any problems.

if you do.... sowwy :(

I copied and pasted and when i submitted, the essay looked fine. Don't worry about it. However, I do not like the fact that you never know what this secondary will look like completed, until AFTER you submit. No Preview App button to click here.

I copied and pasted and when i submitted, the essay looked fine. Don't worry about it. However, I do not like the fact that you never know what this secondary will look like completed, until AFTER you submit. No Preview App button to click here.

yea i totally agree. I had mine structured in paragraphs and then it made it one giant blob. takes away from my beautiful flow =(

I haven't received my secondary yet, but I was only verified July 12th. For the people who got the secondary, were you verified earlier? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received my secondary yet, but I was only verified July 12th. For the people who got the secondary, were you verified earlier? Thanks.

june 24

What you guys saying for why nyu? I definitely want to include bellevue and the patient pop in my answer, but I can't get too many specific programs that they offer via their website.

What you guys saying for why nyu? I definitely want to include bellevue and the patient pop in my answer, but I can't get too many specific programs that they offer via their website.

Yeah information regarding specific programs is really scarce on their website. You could always talk about the new curriculum they're unveiling this year...

Yeah information regarding specific programs is really scarce on their website. You could always talk about the new curriculum they're unveiling this year...

where does one find information about that new curriculum? and things like P.L.A.C.E.

Last edited:
:)

Under required coursework they ask for 6 credits of each sci subject.

However, NYU SOM's actual requirments are 1Year + Lab. Any idea whether we leave the labs out if they're separate from the class? or add one of the two in the third space?

I would suggest writing Course name + Lab in the space but that leaves those of us with different grades in lab and lecture out of luck...

:luck::luck::luck:

Anyone have any idea about this question?

Anyone have any idea about this question?

yeah, i think its kind of assumed if you put lecture down, you took lab as well...if there's not enough room, i'll just put the lecture. but i definitely understand the problem.

yeah, i think its kind of assumed if you put lecture down, you took lab as well...if there's not enough room, i'll just put the lecture. but i definitely understand the problem.
Yea, they probably base it on credits anyhow. They have access to the primary so it's not that big a deal.

Yea, they probably base it on credits anyhow. They have access to the primary so it's not that big a deal.

Found the answer to my own question on their website:

Q. I do not have enough room to type in all required courses, what should I do?
A. You can add two courses on one line. Seperate the courses with a backslash /.

Found the answer to my own question on their website:

Q. I do not have enough room to type in all required courses, what should I do?
A. You can add two courses on one line. Seperate the courses with a backslash /.
I guess I should have looked there before submitting. :rolleyes:
It's not like it makes a difference as I still had 6 credits in every topic accounted for.

i got a "you are now complete" email from nyu today

Haven't gotten around to answering their questions yet, especially the "Why NYU?!" Haha.... GOOD question. You got me there.

For those of you who had to use "/" to add multiple courses, how did you indicate # of credits and grade recorded? I tried to separate those with a backslash too, but it wouldn't let me.

Also, is there anywhere we can find out more about the curriculum/other opportunities? I'm trying to research stuff for the "Why NYU" question...and either the site is incredibly hard to navigate or they just don't have much info on it..

Yeah I'm having some difficulty understanding the kinds of curricular changes they're going to make. I found one article from last year on it, but when I read about the current curriculum on NYU's site it seems fairly standard - no "pillars of science" or anything...

For those of you who had to use "/" to add multiple courses, how did you indicate # of credits and grade recorded? I tried to separate those with a backslash too, but it wouldn't let me.

Also, is there anywhere we can find out more about the curriculum/other opportunities? I'm trying to research stuff for the "Why NYU" question...and either the site is incredibly hard to navigate or they just don't have much info on it..

I have found that the MSAR is pretty useful for this question.

For those of you who had to use "/" to add multiple courses, how did you indicate # of credits and grade recorded? I tried to separate those with a backslash too, but it wouldn't let me...

I added the credit hours together. They have our AMCAS applications, that should be fine.

Ok, I was thinking of that too. Thanks!

For the "where do you see your future medical career" question, they have academic medical and research as two of the options. I want to write about academic medical, BUT i plan on writing mostly about research (and a little bit of teaching). Do you think this would feel weird that I am not choosing the research option? I mean, in truth, academic medicine is mostly research anyway.

I was verified 7/14 and received the secondary 7/19...I guess just be patient and hopefully they'll get to you soon!

Well I received an email today informing me that I did not have the required two science letters. One of my science faculty letters is from my research mentor, but I also took a couple of classes from him. Obviously he did not write that he taught me classes in his letter. So I emailed them back and told them he was both. They wrote me back an hour later to inform me that my credentials and information were complete and they would notify me with their final decision. So hopefully that means they accepted it as my faculty letter? I am a little worried now that other schools will think the same thing. I hope they write me like NYU did instead of just acting like nothing happened.

Well I received an email today informing me that I did not have the required two science letters. One of my science faculty letters is from my research mentor, but I also took a couple of classes from him. Obviously he did not write that he taught me classes in his letter. So I emailed them back and told them he was both. They wrote me back an hour later to inform me that my credentials and information were complete and they would notify me with their final decision. So hopefully that means they accepted it as my faculty letter? I am a little worried now that other schools will think the same thing. I hope they write me like NYU did instead of just acting like nothing happened.
I'm guessing other schools might not tell you...

when did the invites come out last year??
i antsy for one.

I'm guessing other schools might not tell you...

I think you are probably correct. So I went through all of the schools who I applied to and those who might not realize he is both I am going to contact and let them know. All but 4 of the schools I'm applying to it won't matter either way (as in they only require one OR a research professor, either way I am fine. But for those five I'm going to make contact, I'm just glad NYU contacted me to make me aware that he didn't make it clear in his letter he is both my mentoring research professor and taught me in several classes.

I think you are probably correct. So I went through all of the schools who I applied to and those who might not realize he is both I am going to contact and let them know. All but 4 of the schools I'm applying to it won't matter either way (as in they only require one OR a research professor, either way I am fine. But for those five I'm going to make contact, I'm just glad NYU contacted me to make me aware that he didn't make it clear in his letter he is both my mentoring research professor and taught me in several classes.

Glad to see you're so on top of things. So inspiring! :)

I am in dire need of inspiration and some motivation right now. I sent in 12 2ndaries and now feel completely burnt out. Still need to get a handful in, including NYU's!!! ARGHH!!! What's become of me?

I am in dire need of inspiration and some motivation right now. I sent in 12 2ndaries and now feel completely burnt out. Still need to get a handful in, including NYU's!!! ARGHH!!! What's become of me?

take a break for a day or 2, you're ahead of the curve and the break will help you out a ton.

anyone know the cost for their student dorms?

Hey guys! I had a question for the secondary. If i want to be doing mostly patient care and clinical stuff in the future, am I correct in choosing the "private practice" choice? lol sry if its a stupid question but wanna make sure. thnx!

Hey guys! I had a question for the secondary. If i want to be doing mostly patient care and clinical stuff in the future, am I correct in choosing the "private practice" choice? lol sry if its a stupid question but wanna make sure. thnx!

To me, private practice means having your own office and employees, handling your own billing, etc... as opposed to working for a hospital.

I don't think the choice matters nearly as much as what you write for it. There's no option for "hospital practice" so pick either academic or private depending on which one you think is closer. Or you can pick other.

High five because I'm on the same boat! Just turned in my 12th one. NYU is one of many in my pile to be filled out. I think a break would be good for us :cool: even though I just came back from a mini 4 day vacation >.<

My initial drive and velocity, where did you go?

hmmm thnx for the replies! I guess what we pick isnt as important, but better be safe than sorry.

Then for those who intend on focusing on patient care and actually practicing medicine.... what are you guys choosing?

To me, private practice means having your own office and employees, handling your own billing, etc... as opposed to working for a hospital.

I feel kind of burnt out as well (12 submitted), and I have yet to do any of the secondaries with long or deep, introspective essays

For the "where do you see your future medical career" question, they have academic medical and research as two of the options. I want to write about academic medical, BUT i plan on writing mostly about research (and a little bit of teaching). Do you think this would feel weird that I am not choosing the research option? I mean, in truth, academic medicine is mostly research anyway.
Eh, that's not necessarily true. You can be an academic physician but focus solely on clinical and teaching duties. You can also be involved in research to varying degrees (ie. 80% research, 20% clinical, or something with more clinical and less research). I think the term physician scientist is more appropriate for those who focus primarily on research.

In my opinion, academic medical refers primarily to those wanting to stay in academia for clinical and teaching duties (with a little bit of research if they choose to) while the research option refers to physician scientists (ie. those who focus primarily on research rather than clinical duties).

Edit: I'm excited for this secondary! Hopefully I'll be done with it tomorrow.

Eh, that's not necessarily true. You can be an academic physician but focus solely on clinical and teaching duties. You can also be involved in research to varying degrees (ie. 80% research, 20% clinical, or something with more clinical and less research). I think the term physician scientist is more appropriate for those who focus primarily on research.

In my opinion, academic medical refers primarily to those wanting to stay in academia for clinical and teaching duties (with a little bit of research if they choose to) while the research option refers to physician scientists (ie. those who focus primarily on research rather than clinical duties).

Edit: I'm excited for this secondary! Hopefully I'll be done with it tomorrow.

To add to what you said - academic medicine is definitely not "mostly research anyway"... there are a tonne of physicians who vary the degree of their research/teaching. My MSc supervisor does mostly clinical work, but spends a significant chunk of his time advising our research projects as well. I know a bunch of other MDs who also spend more time doing clinical things than teaching/research, and I know some who do more teaching/research than clinical work... it's really up to you! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.