2010-2011 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a C+ and C in my organic chemistry courses, but the rest of my grades are A's. Do my orgo grades count as a "significant fluctuation in my academic record?" Or is a significant fluctuation referring to something like failing everything during an entire semester or having a bad MCAT score?

Members don't see this ad.

I got a C+ and C in my organic chemistry courses, but the rest of my grades are A's. Do my orgo grades count as a "significant fluctuation in my academic record?" Or is a significant fluctuation referring to something like failing everything during an entire semester or having a bad MCAT score?

I would say that is a fluctuation.

anyone receive an interview invite yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say that is a fluctuation.

I would agree, especially given that both C's were in the same subject. If the OP did well on his/her Biology section, it might be easier to "explain".

ugh. i guess that's another essay i have to write. i'm assuming horrible professors + too much procrastination isn't a good explanation

Would C+ in one English course be considered as a fluctuation in grades that requires explanation?? I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring attention to it... but any ideas?

MSTP applicant here, and just received an interview invite! Of course the MSTP and Med School committees are different, but I am excited nonetheless.

Would C+ in one English course be considered as a fluctuation in grades that requires explanation?? I was hoping I wouldn't have to bring attention to it... but any ideas?

No. And I don't think that two C's in orgo would be considered a significant fluctuation that needs an explanation either. I'm sure they mean a semesters worth of grades or something similar due to an illness or significant personal issues.

MSTP applicant here, and just received an interview invite! Of course the MSTP and Med School committees are different, but I am excited nonetheless.

Congratulations!

Do you mind posting your stats and when you submitted?

I received an MSTP interview too. 3.95/40S, submitted 7/15, last recommendation showed up 8/09 or so.

How does NYU notify us that our application is complete? Is it online right at the start of our supplemental or via email? Thanks so much for the help! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's almost September. I hope they start inviting soon.

Does anyone know whether the MD office has access to the MD/PhD essays on the AMCAS? I applied MD/PhD at NYU but it seems like the MSTP office and MD office are separate, since the MSTP wants letters different from the med school. There's also a separate MSTP secondary.

What is the separate secondary? I am applying MSTP and my prompts were the same as the ones listed at the start of this thread... as far as I can tell there is no unique md/phd essay prompt on the secondary...

Great, submitted my secondary with a dumb typo (match list ==> math list). I read each essay over three times slowly but still missed it. Pfff, I'm blaming this on 1) inability to copy and paste, and 2) inability to check essays before submission.

Great, submitted my secondary with a dumb typo (match list ==> math list). I read each essay over three times slowly but still missed it. Pfff, I'm blaming this on 1) inability to copy and paste, and 2) inability to check essays before submission.

Don't worry about it. I misspelled a word in a personal statement due to a spellcheck error and didn't realize it until after I had submitted my AMCAS. No one ever brought it up.

You're not alone. One mistake doesn't earn you an automatic rejection. :)

according to my amcas, I took "mollecular" bio.. ha!

Interview invites should be just around the corner... Best of luck to each of you!

Absolutely my #1.

What is the separate [MSTP] secondary? I am applying MSTP and my prompts were the same as the ones listed at the start of this thread... as far as I can tell there is no unique md/phd essay prompt on the secondary...

Bueller? Can anyone address this? Silvermuse said "There's also a separate MSTP secondary" but I don't see one...

Bueller? Can anyone address this? Silvermuse said "There's also a separate MSTP secondary" but I don't see one...

I THINK, though do not quote me on this, MSTP applicants need only submit the extra required LORs. I DO know that in past years, there hasn't been an extra MSTP app..

Give the admissions office a call. They've been very helpful! :)

Ok phew; thanks for actually paying attention to my question :) . I'll call them tomorrow but was obviously being a nerdface in trying to perfect my application over the weekend.

i submitted and my paragraphs just got jumbled up into 1 big paragraph. this is like the 5th time it happened in a secondary -_-

a broad dash turns into a question mark (-- = ?) so don't worry...I think a good portion of applicants have all sorts of jacked up secondaries...or at least that's the best we can do to reassure ourselves that none of these 84 essays is really *that* important!

but in all seriousness it is pretty nice to have a group of people out there experiencing the exact same issues as I am!

Has anyone had problems with copy/pasting??

that's what I've been doing, but I'm debating just rewriting everything in case...

It's really quiet here, has anyone gotten an interview at NYU yet?

It's really quiet here, has anyone gotten an interview at NYU yet?

Just doing the occasional check the secondary website, but haven't heard anything and submitted the secondary a couple of months ago. Like they say...no news is good news...

hi! this is my first post. i got an invite this morning.

Congrats! When were u complete? Mind sharing your stats? Just to have an idea here...

Invite today!
and I don't think I can interview until December... sucks.

Good luck everyone!

addendum:

my app was submitted on the 13th of August.
my stats aren't so enamoring...
so, the moral of the story is that... you don't need a super high mcat score :)

addendum:

my app was submitted on the 13th of August.
my stats aren't so enamoring...
so, the moral of the story is that... you don't need a super high mcat score :)

Mind sharing your stats? I have lower MCAT stats so I am curious how they will respond to my application.

Thx!

By far my #1 Choice!!!!!

Gluck everyone...I'm just waiting for an invite.:)

Just submitted. Dam thing merged all my paragraphs into one giant paragraph.

I am blaming this on the fact that you can't preview your application prior to submission.

For some reason, I can't remember if NYU had a "downloadable" form that you had to attach a picture to and send back in to them. Was it NYU or am I just thinking of another school? I can't believe this is slipping my mind...driving me crazy

For some reason, I can't remember if NYU had a "downloadable" form that you had to attach a picture to and send back in to them. Was it NYU or am I just thinking of another school? I can't believe this is slipping my mind...driving me crazy

No pic necessary for NYU. ;). Maybe you're thinking of p&s?

interview invite !:D
complete july 19th

got it earlier today during class! it was good timing because i was passing out lol

interview window = oct 4th - 15th

Last edited:
interview invite !:D
complete july 19th

got it earlier today during class! it was good timing because i was passing out lol

interview window = oct 4th - 15th

Congratulations!!!

:corny: for the rest of us...

Status
Not open for further replies.