2010-2011 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school."

This is a dumb question... but if we are going to be a senior in college next year should we leave the question blank or should we just put something to the effect of "I will be a senior at ______ "

You're going to be a full time student...so leave it blank.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure if we have to answer this question if we're not disadvantaged/URM. Does anyone know? Or is this just a question where we have to pick a unique part of our application and explain it?

i just put N/A since on other apps they have similar wording but are only looking for if you're URM/disadvantaged or grades that should have an explanation (C/D/F). If they wanted your most important EC i think they just would have asked for it haha

Certainly all 3 of Penn State's personal statement questions are, well...personal HOWEVER...I am wondering what fellow applicants are putting down for why they want to go to Penn State specifically.

Members don't see this ad :)
apparently they are rigid about it. I just called up and the lady said "if that's what it says, there are no exceptions"...seems like an incredibly dumb policy, especially if you have one prereq not done that you can't complete until spring 2011.

That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm planning on taking my last prereq in the Spring...so i guess I can't apply to this school...?

That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm planning on taking my last prereq in the Spring...so i guess I can't apply to this school...?

yeah it sucks...im wondering if this lady was just not in the know ... any previous 09 applicants out there who did not complete all the preqreqs by the "year before" matriculation?

Do they accept AP credit? I couldn't find anything about it on the website.

Do they accept AP credit? I couldn't find anything about it on the website.

Many applicants will have fulfilled any number of prerequisite requirements by other means, such as Advanced Placement courses in high school, etc. Penn State College of Medicine does recognize credit of this kind if it appears as earned credit on the applicant’s collegiate transcript. However, it is as true that the most competitive applicants also will have fulfilled course work in those same areas during their baccalaureate years.

Many applicants will have fulfilled any number of prerequisite requirements by other means, such as Advanced Placement courses in high school, etc. Penn State College of Medicine does recognize credit of this kind if it appears as earned credit on the applicant’s collegiate transcript. However, it is as true that the most competitive applicants also will have fulfilled course work in those same areas during their baccalaureate years.

OK, thanks for the quick reply! Submitted! :cool:

"Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (50 word limit)"

Did you guys interpret this question to be asking about the negative aspects of medicine in general or the neg aspects of a career in medicine? :confused:

"Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (50 word limit)"

Did you guys interpret this question to be asking about the negative aspects of medicine in general or the neg aspects of a career in medicine? :confused:

I interpreted it to be CAREER...like the profession. For the former, do you mean drugs?

are they talking about stuff like the work-life balance, being in school for EVER, etc. or more deeply personal stuff? I didn't really think about the downsides - to me theyre not so bad...

Members don't see this ad :)
max 50 words? am i reading that right...?

Your most recent post about the maximum length of the essay prompts for the Pennsylvania State College of Medicine is completely accurate. You are not misreading the prompts at all; the length indicated in parentheses at the end of each question is 50 words. This post is exactly 50 words.

Your most recent post about the maximum length of the essay prompts for the Pennsylvania State College of Medicine is completely accurate. You are not misreading the prompts at all; the length indicated in parentheses at the end of each question is 50 words. This post is exactly 50 words.

Hahahah I love this!!

Are they like super strict on the fall prior to matriculation req? cause that would suck.

Are they like super strict on the fall prior to matriculation req? cause that would suck.

yeah i called and a woman said they were. I question whether she really knew though, b/c she was like "um, if that's what it says then it is our policy" ...someone else should call to confirm- maybe another person will pick up...

So I have an idea of what to say in response to that 3rd question (Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine.) But any tips on how to make it not sound incredibly generic and make it specific to PennState?

Last edited:
I have family in PA, and it really is a beautiful part of the country. and I already used half of my alloted words. Crap.

You_guys_could_use_underscores_to_cheat_the_word_limit. When_you_use_underscores_each_sentence_counts_as_one_word!

They must not screen or even wait for verification from AMCAS because I received mine and will complete it (I need to find out which PA school my cousin graduated from....I think its Penn and not Penn State). I submitted my app on July 30th and got my secondary Aug 2.

They must not screen or even wait for verification from AMCAS because I received mine and will complete it (I need to find out which PA school my cousin graduated from....I think its Penn and not Penn State). I submitted my app on July 30th and got my secondary Aug 2.

Haha, slight difference :p.

Also, I wonder when the committee first meets for PSU. I reaaaaally want to hear from them soon.

hey guys...what do you write for the question 'Why Penn State?'. I'm completely lost on that one...any ideas??

Haha, slight difference :p.

Also, I wonder when the committee first meets for PSU. I reaaaaally want to hear from them soon.
I've been complete and, presumably, under review since the middle of (last) week. I'm not sure if they're actually looking at them yet though...

Just got the secondary in. Anyone have an idea when we may start hearing back? It seems like they are running a little bit slower than most other schools. Best of luck everyone.

Just got the secondary in. Anyone have an idea when we may start hearing back? It seems like they are running a little bit slower than most other schools. Best of luck everyone.

dood relax...they just started giving out secondaries.... be patient.

No idea. Submitted a day before you did :). They said it would be slow, so maybe a month or two.

did anyone else just end up listing all the negative aspects instead of using full sentences? i kinda just said, from my experiences, these are some negative things i witnessed: blah blah blah...

Complete: 8/6
interview invite: 8/12
Have to call to schedule but they hold interviews Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Complete: 8/6
interview invite: 8/12
Have to call to schedule but they hold interviews Monday, Wednesday, and Friday

Congrats. I submitted mine the first day I got it, it still isn't marked as complete when I lok at the status page. Wonder what is going on with that? It says "it has not been determined if your application is complete or not" well determine it already haha. Anyone else see this on theirs?

Also are you IS or OOS?

Congrats! I submitted on 8/4, but no word yet for me. What are your stats?

Congratulations on the interview invite!

As of yesterday, i wasn't even marked complete yet and I submitted on the fourth.

"Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email."

Anyone else in that boat?

Congratulations on the interview invite!

As of yesterday, i wasn't even marked complete yet and I submitted on the fourth.

"Our records indicate that your Secondary Application has been received, but it has not been determined whether your application is complete or not at this time. Once that determination has been made, you will be notified via email."

Anyone else in that boat?

me too...same message... :(

Submitted 8/7, still no complete status.

Yea, I submitted first day and my complete wasn't until the 11th. It's totally random it seems.

It is a little bit frustrating to not have any sort of "order" to this process...like you'd think they could move through our applications with soem sort of rule "go through the list by submission date"...but they might have some other "unknown metric" by which they're reviewing our applications for completeness.

anyone else interviewing Sept 8? I think that's their first day of interviews.

Submitted August 4th and still not complete...anyone else in the same boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.