2010-2011 University of Central Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so has anyone heard anything yet? Admissions was supposed to meet last night, just curious :)

Members don't see this ad.

With the acceptance meeting getting closer, I'm definitely getting some hormigas en los pantalones :p!!!

My interview experience was great! The interview group was nice and I enjoyed my homestay. Overall, the school was very impressive. Mr. Larkin did a great job of keeping it light and joking before our interviews. Despite how relaxing it was, I managed to be quite nervous for my first interview (this is my first choice school) and have some concern how it went. Thankfully, my second interview went better.

I have all of my digits crossed :xf::xf:.

Best of luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions did meet last night, but the accept meeting will be next Thursday.

REL can you comment on how many interview seats are actually left vs. number of people in EFI?? What are the remaining chances of getting an interview for someone who is in EFI??????? I'm starting to get real nervous with not a single interview and 10 rejections including FIU's.

REL can you comment on how many interview seats are actually left vs. number of people in EFI?? What are the remaining chances of getting an interview for someone who is in EFI??????? I'm starting to get real nervous with not a single interview and 10 rejections including FIU's.

20 seats filled, ~80 on the not yet accepted (wait?) list, ~100 invited for interviews for Nov & Dec. We'll interview through mid-March for a total of about 350. About 450 EFI, probably 60/40 split in/out of state. Keep ur cool, the second half is the time when lots of the solid applicants begin to get their invites.

20 seats filled, ~80 on the not yet accepted (wait?) list, ~100 invited for interviews for Nov & Dec. We'll interview through mid-March for a total of about 350. About 450 EFI, probably 60/40 split in/out of state. Keep ur cool, the second half is the time when lots of the solid applicants begin to get their invites.

Rel, does the committee continuously review and accept from the waitlist as well?

Rel, does the committee continuously review and accept from the waitlist as well?[/QUOTE

Yes. That is why I dont really call it a wait list right now. It is a total list of those who interviewed in order of their committee vote total. We admit ~5 every other week. The committee would likely take the top 5 from the total list of those who interviewed. So if over the two weeks of interviews the committee scores of those most recently interviewed were lower than those on the "not yet accepted" list (?wait list?) then those on this list would be accepted.

So, I ended up having some extra cash that I can afford to apply here...I know I'm crazy late, but I also saw that UCF has some of the stuff in their program I'm interested in doing as a profession...plus I miss Florida.

Am I nuts to submit my primary here now? If I can turn around the 2ndary quickly, does that help? I know the primary deadline is in a couple weeks.

Thanks!

And congrats to those accepted and good luck to those waiting!

Rel, does the committee continuously review and accept from the waitlist as well?[/QUOTE

Yes. That is why I dont really call it a wait list right now. It is a total list of those who interviewed in order of their committee vote total. We admit ~5 every other week. The committee would likely take the top 5 from the total list of those who interviewed. So if over the two weeks of interviews the committee scores of those most recently interviewed were lower than those on the "not yet accepted" list (?wait list?) then those on this list would be accepted.

This seems like a very intelligent way to run admissions. Everyone that interviews gets a fair shot due to a vote rather than one persons bias for or against. It would be nice if Admissions from other schools would be more up front about how they run things and maybe even use the same system. That would definitely make the application process less Cloak and Dagger nonsense. The process is already hard enough for everyone involved.

Hopefully I will get an interview here as well. I have heard good things and am very impressed to get a glimpse of the inner workings of a fine-tuned admissions machine.

Congratulations to everyone that received an interview/acceptance!

Thank you for this information, Mr. Larkin! It's great to know that all of us in the EFI status have a shot, especially in the second half as you mentioned.

To all those that are EFI..keep the faith! Let's hang in there!

-Cgc217

This seems like a very intelligent way to run admissions. Everyone that interviews gets a fair shot due to a vote rather than one persons bias for or against. It would be nice if Admissions from other schools would be more up front about how they run things and maybe even use the same system. That would definitely make the application process less Cloak and Dagger nonsense. The process is already hard enough for everyone involved.

Hopefully I will get an interview here as well. I have heard good things and am very impressed to get a glimpse of the inner workings of a fine-tuned admissions machine.

Congratulations to everyone that received an interview/acceptance!

I completely agree with you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang it... Wait listed in the upper 1/3. Realllllly wanted to go here, and now i'm just going to have to wait it out. But it's so early that I still may get pushed down on the wait-list as more and more people interview. AHH this waiting process is gonna drive me up the wall

Last edited:

Rel,

Have all of the individuals holding those twenty seats been called? I think you said the acceptance meeting was today, so I was wondering if we should be looking for update calls tomorrow possibly? Thanks.

Rel,

Have all of the individuals holding those twenty seats been called? I think you said the acceptance meeting was today, so I was wondering if we should be looking for update calls tomorrow possibly? Thanks.

The 20 were from the previous meetings and all of them know.

Tonight's meeting affected the last two interview groups. I have called all from the first group, and should be able to make a few more this evening, and will finish tomorrow morning. Just got home and hafta have some dinner and walk the dog.

The 20 were from the previous meetings and all of them know.

Tonight's meeting affected the last two interview groups. I have called all from the first group, and should be able to make a few more this evening, and will finish tomorrow morning. Just got home and hafta have some dinner and walk the dog.

Okay, thank you for your insight. However, does that mean if we were not in the last two interview groups we will not be getting a call tomorrow? and the acceptance meeting did not pertain to us?

Okay, thank you for your insight. However, does that mean if we were not in the last two interview groups we will not be getting a call tomorrow? and the acceptance meeting did not pertain to us?

Those who interviewed on 10/29 have all been called, about 1/3 of those who interviewed on 11/1 have been called with the remainder being called tomorrow. l hope that this clarifies.

Hey REL, I want to shoot you a question before you log off. Are you guys done giving out invitations for this year (2010), and will resume in January? Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

Those who interviewed on 10/29 have all been called, about 1/3 of those who interviewed on 11/1 have been called with the remainder being called tomorrow. l hope that this clarifies.

Well, I actually interviewed back in September. I got a call from you on October 16th, and I was just wondering when the next call would come. But I know this is a long haul, and I am a patient person. Thanks for all your help.

Well, I actually interviewed back in September. I got a call from you on October 16th, and I was just wondering when the next call would come. But I know this is a long haul, and I am a patient person. Thanks for all your help.

Ahh, so you want an update. You are just entering the window of 4-6 weeks since that first call. If I cant call on Tuesday it wont happen until after Thanksgiving since tomorrow and Monday are interview days and I am taking a needed extra day off on Wednesday. But of course, as I said to you on the phone, call me if you have a question.....if not I'll call in 4-6 weeks.

REL, thanks for sharing this with us! It is great to know that there is still hope.

Hey REL, I want to shoot you a question before you log off. Are you guys done giving out invitations for this year (2010), and will resume in January? Thanks and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

I have one more interview day to fill before we get to the Christmas holiday.

wow this thread has been real active lately. lol

REL,

As always, thank you, thank you, thank you 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times over.

You are amazing to be spending time on these forums to communicate with us. Other adcoms across the country seem to read these forums, often complain about their existence but never shed light on things as clearly as you've done here. So as always I just wanted to say from all of us on these forums asking you questions, we 100% appreciate your help and honesty and clarifications. :)

Thanks again.

REL,

I have been stuck in AORTA status for over a month now,

I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to strengthen my app right now, or to show my interest. UCF is at the top of my list. Ive looked forward to applying there for quite some time, and I would really like an opportunity to show them what I'm made of.

I just wanted to know if a letter of intent was taboo, or if a call to the admissions office would help?

-badancil

REL,

I have been stuck in AORTA status for over a month now,

I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to strengthen my app right now, or to show my interest. UCF is at the top of my list. Ive looked forward to applying there for quite some time, and I would really like an opportunity to show them what I'm made of.

I just wanted to know if a letter of intent was taboo, or if a call to the admissions office would help?

-badancil

I'm sure REL would get back to you on this, but my personal feeling is that calling itself or letters of intent itself are not that helpful, but updating with new activities, new grades, new publications or poster presentations, or significant updates of that nature with then a paragraph below that with a letter of why your interest in that school would be more helpful to building your case at this school or any school for that matter.

At this stage in the game i'd give a letter with new activities updates and stuff of the nature of publications, activities, personally significant information.

I've come to the conclusion that it makes a bigger impact on an adcom if you can show what you've been doing to strengthen your application instead of just calling them repeatedly as some schools will take repeated calls as harrassment and irritating. But that is my advice for what its worth to you, and just for the record its what a friend did who got in a MD school in DC and 2 others out of state 2 years ago. So I tend to stick by such. :)

in the words of REL, I wish you well!! Good luck.

Thank you for the information, Mr. Larkin!

And, although I did not ask the question, thanks for the advice gujuDoc! Great tips!

-Cgc217

Interviewed early November and recently found out I was waitlisted in the upper third :xf::xf:.

Interview invite received yesterday for mid Dec.

For those that have interviewed at UCF, how nice are their new facilities? I grew up about a mile from UCF's main campus, but I go to Vanderbilt University and would love to return home for medical school if I like the school. I've read all about it, and looked at videos online. It looks nice (especially the concept of the medical city), but I've never been to Lake Nona. What did you guys think when you visited? I'd love to return home to learn and practice medicine in Orlando. Perhaps I should just drive my butt over there when I return for winter break...

For those that have interviewed at UCF, how nice are their new facilities? I grew up about a mile from UCF's main campus, but I go to Vanderbilt University and would love to return home for medical school if I like the school. I've read all about it, and looked at videos online. It looks nice (especially the concept of the medical city), but I've never been to Lake Nona. What did you guys think when you visited? I'd love to return home to learn and practice medicine in Orlando. Perhaps I should just drive my butt over there when I return for winter break...

You know I would contact REL and see if someone in admissions would allow you to have a tour of the med school of some sort and talk to admissions representatives there. Sometimes schools let you do that even if you haven't interviewed.

Recently invited to interview at UCF on Dec. 10
Anybody else interviewing 12/10?

Any advice for interviewees specific to UCF?
IS (UF)
34P (13 P, 10 V, 11 B)
3.7c, 3.7s
Taking a year off, but keeping busy with work/vol/research.

Currently in Gainesville, planned to drive down to Orlando the morning of the interview. I know this is risky, but I have a prior engagement. Any advice on routes/morning traffic, or anything else I ought to know?

IS (UF)
34P (13 P, 10 V, 11 B)
3.7c, 3.7s

Currently in Gainesville, planned to drive down to Orlando the morning of the interview. I know this is risky, but I have a prior engagement. Any advice on routes/morning traffic, or anything else I ought to know?

REL said on the phone and in his email to contact him about directions or use the directions they give if we are driving because GPS will take us to the middle of the boonies and its not yet properly updated on maps how to get there.

And yeah I'm doing the same thing though I'm technically considered a student still but its full thesis so its as good as taking a year off since all I do is research full time.

I'm going to send a message to a few people who I know have interviewed here in the past and find out what advice they have in terms of the interview itself. And I'm 3 days after you for my interview.

IS (UF)
34P (13 P, 10 V, 11 B)
3.7c, 3.7s

Orlando has bad traffic on I-4 during the predictable congestion hours. If you leave early enough (before the sun is up) though, you should have no problem at all. From what I understand, the school is just off of 417 near Narcoossee Rd. So, from Gainesville just take 75 -> the turnpike -> 417 headed northeast-ish (or turnpike -> 528-> 417 going south). It should not be too difficult to navigate there. You could even just get to I-4 west and you'll hit 417.

Orlando has bad traffic on I-4 during the predictable congestion hours. If you leave early enough (before the sun is up) though, you should have no problem at all. From what I understand, the school is just off of 417 near Narcoossee Rd. So, from Gainesville just take 75 -> the turnpike -> 417 headed northeast-ish (or turnpike -> 528-> 417 going south). It should not be too difficult to navigate there. You could even just get to I-4 west and you'll hit 417.

There are several options but my thoughts from G'ville are: Florida Turnpike to the Orlando, OBT (Orange Blossom Trail) exit; go south about 3 miles to the entrance to Route 417 (you will be entering at exit 11 of 417). Head north (toward airport) on 417 to exit 19 then you are at the school. This keeps you from any of the I-4/528 traffic chaos.

Hey REL,

How receptive are you when it comes to "in the area" emails? UCF is about 1000 miles from where I live.

Hey REL,

How receptive are you when it comes to "in the area" emails? UCF is about 1000 miles from where I live.

Makes sense to me to be fiscally responsible. We have been able to honor one or two so far this year of about ~8 similar emails received.

Hi REL. I know you stated that you had one more interview date to fill before Christmas and I think you've already filled it. Do you know when UCF will start interviewing once again after the holiday break? Being an Orlando native, UCF is my top choice and I think I'm losing my mind here haha. Have a happy holiday season everyone.

Based on your SDN "handle" your mind was missing long before your post.

I do believe that all of the December interview dates are now filled --- maybe one opening left on 12/13. Interview dates resume with every Friday from Jan 7 - mid-March.

Based on your SDN "handle" your mind was missing long before your post.

I do believe that all of the December interview dates are now filled --- maybe one opening left on 12/13. Interview dates resume with every Friday from Jan 7 - mid-March.

With UF playing terribly, along with this application season, I would have to agree with you, lol. Thanks for the quick reply.

REL, what's the best way to get from ~5800 T.G. Lee Blvd to the med school campus on interview day? I know you said it does not work on GPS, just want to make sure I do not get lost and am late to my interview day!

Thanks! :)

REL, what's the best way to get from ~5800 T.G. Lee Blvd to the med school campus on interview day? I know you said it does not work on GPS, just want to make sure I do not get lost and am late to my interview day!

Hey Doc, I'm not REL, but I think the best way to get to the campus from where you are at is by taking the 528 east all the way to the 417 south to about exit 19. I believe it's exit 19. Anyways, Google Maps is helpful if you need extra directions. Hope you have a great interview.

Haha I'd recommend driving your butt and your eyes over there during winter break; it's quite a sight :D. The Health Sciences Campus is perfectly designed for students. When we walked into the anatomy lab on the day of our interview, there were very few students at each table with a specialist in cardiology with each group (they were studying the heart that day). Each room had the latest technologies for students.

More than the looks, I was most impressed by the atmosphere. People would expect chaos with it being a newer school; instead, the school has a very motivating, pioneering, and supportive feel. The opportunities really seem limitless. How can you top that?! Please feel free to PM me if you want to know anything else about my interview day. I'd love to help out/provide any of my experiences with my interview date.

Best,
DrBoshkosh26

Hello Rel,

Just wondering if OOS invites for interviews have been sent?

Thanks

This one should be a really easy 10-15 minute run.
1. Head south on Semoran and go straight through the airport complex, following signeage that says south exit and 417. This also turns into Boggy Creek Road (417 exit #17).
2. Once you reach 417, head north one exit to Lake Nona Blvd (exit 19), then take a right on LN Blvd.d
3. If you request a parking pass the driving instructions should put you in the parking lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.