2010-2011 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wahoo!!

Interview invite 10/8 - Very excited, my top choice school!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!

But at the same time,
:( (jealous)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!

But at the same time,
:( (jealous)

I feel ya, everytime someone on here got an interview it made my heart hurt a little. Glad to have the opportunity though. Good luck to y'all, what's meant to be will be.

ok so random question...
my TMDSAS app was transmitted to schools on 8/19, and I have yet to hear anything back from UT-Galveston.
Has anyone else had to wait this long to get an e-mail saying they received my app? I'm starting to wonder if it actually got sent...

ok so random question...
my TMDSAS app was transmitted to schools on 8/19, and I have yet to hear anything back from UT-Galveston.
Has anyone else had to wait this long to get an e-mail saying they received my app? I'm starting to wonder if it actually got sent...

My app was transmitted on 7/16 and I got an email from them on August 5th saying they received my app and were reviewing it. I have heard nothing from them since....I have heard from every other school I applied to though. Except Southwestern...which I don't expect to anyways....

so im hoping to hear something from UTMB soon!

I had my app transmitted last week - have heard from all schools except UTH and UTMB - for those who have interviews, did you receive an email about your app and THEN an interview, or just an interview?

Top choice as well :)

Got an email saying my app was being reviewed and then two weeks later I got an invite. Also, it took forever for them to say it was being reviewed. Good luck.

What's everyone thinking so far? Anybody who's interviewed with some opinions?

I feel like the school didn't show me its best side. :(

I'm pretty disappointed. My app was transmitted 6/4 and I got the "Under Review" email 7/9. Almost 3 months ago. I still haven't heard anything. They weren't very nice when I called. My fiancee is even a student there.

I'm pretty disappointed. My app was transmitted 6/4 and I got the "Under Review" email 7/9. Almost 3 months ago. I still haven't heard anything. They weren't very nice when I called. My fiancee is even a student there.

I know how you feel. Do you think it's possible to get an interview invite at a school after having been complete for several months?

I know it is, I guess. It's just hard to wait. That's been my status at many schools.

I hope you get one at UTMB ninefivethree, so that you could be with your fiancee! :)

I know how you feel. Do you think it's possible to get an interview invite at a school after having been complete for several months?

I know it is, I guess. It's just hard to wait. That's been my status at many schools.

I hope you get one at UTMB ninefivethree, so that you could be with your fiancee! :)

I'm hoping so! I have heard that San Antonio is open about interviewing people they like near the end of the cycle so they don't have a chance to forget the school. Hopefully they're just saving us bc they think we're so amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping so! I have heard that San Antonio is open about interviewing people they like near the end of the cycle so they don't have a chance to forget the school. Hopefully they're just saving us bc they think we're so amazing!
I've heard this too, and I'm hoping it is true as well

Hmmm...I know it's technically too early to start giving up hope and panicking...but one can't help feeling some what rejected. Even though it hurts to see others with interviews, I wish you all luck!

I guess that was my mini-vent for the day!

I still haven't heard anything.

Me neither, I was transmitted around the same time and heard back with the "we have received your app" email at the end of July.

They weren't very nice when I called.

How so?

I called and said that I had received the email in July but hadn't heard anything since then. I asked if maybe they could check and just make sure everything was ok with my application. She said that if I hadn't heard anything as of then, there was a chance I'd hear from them later or I wasn't being considered for admission. I said that I was worried something might have happened and she just repeated what she said before. She then said I just needed to wait and that she couldn't do anything and hung up. She wouldn't even let me give her my name.

Is this school even sending out invites? I haven't seen many posters here with invites? When did UTMB start interviewing? Are they lagging behind?

Is this school even sending out invites? I haven't seen many posters here with invites? When did UTMB start interviewing? Are they lagging behind?

They're still interviewing, they had one yesterday. I know people who go to school there and they say they've been having interviews every Friday. I think the people here either have already had their interviews here, aren't applying here, or have given up.

Does anyone know when the next set out interviews are sent out or what day of the week they send most of their interviews out?? I haven't yet heard back for a while and am starting to get worried.
:(

Does anyone know when the next set out interviews are sent out or what day of the week they send most of their interviews out?? I haven't yet heard back for a while and am starting to get worried.
:(

Though there are many exceptions to this... My observations have led me to believe:

Tues and Thurs: UT schools send out invites
Wed: A&M sends out invites
Fri: Tech schools send out invites

I'm ready for an interview invite from UTMB this week!! :D:D:D

:confused: No one interviewing on the 8th?

Would like to at least have someone to say hello to at the social thing the night before..

Would like to at least have someone to say hello to at the social thing the night before..

I'll there on the 8th, but I'm not going to the social. I guess I'll see you on Friday.

just got a UTMB INVITE!!!!

set for 10/22! so excited.

transmitted 9/1

Congrats to everyone interviewing at UTMB. It's a great school :love:

I'm a first year there; if you have any questions PM me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can :)

Interview invite 10/22!! :D

Transmitted 8/25

I will be there as well! I am new to this forum and am just now checking out all this info. Wow, overwhelming!

I graduated from UT too. :)

Hopefully they're just saving us bc they think we're so amazing!

Please, please tell me this is sarcasm. You are not a unique snowflake. I think that whole premise of some special reason for interviewing applicants at the end of the season was just cooked up by late interviewees so they could feel better about their situation.

Please, please tell me this is sarcasm. You are not a unique snowflake. I think that whole premise of some special reason for interviewing applicants at the end of the season was just cooked up by late interviewees so they could feel better about their situation.

I think that comment is really unnecessary.

The pre-med advisor at my school said something along these lines - that some schools don't want you to forget about them so they save you for later in the cycle. Don't know if she was saying that just to make us feel better if we don't get an invite early on, or if it's true, but right now I'm hoping it's true.

Forgive us for trying to remain positive or to encourage each other. :rolleyes:

Hmm....well I am a unique snowflake, so yay for us :) ha!

I will be there as well! I am new to this forum and am just now checking out all this info. Wow, overwhelming!

I graduated from UT too. :)

Ya, SDN is pretty interesting. Tons of helpful information, tons of bad info too but you just have to sift through it. Also, I PM'd you my info. You going to the night before thing?

I also got an interview invite yesterday for 10/29, I'm excited!

Forgive us for trying to remain positive or to encourage each other. :rolleyes:
Thinking there's something "amazing" that sets you apart and somehow makes you better than other applicants isn't really all that positive. :rolleyes:

Thinking there's something "amazing" that sets you apart and somehow makes you better than other applicants isn't really all that positive. :rolleyes:

Like I said, there's alot of not so useful stuff (er, people) that you will find on SDN.

And for the record, I think we're all unique. We're all so obsessed about becoming doctors that we incessantly scour this website for any and all information related to the schools at which were applying..

Good luck to you snowflake person.. :D

Perhaps when you put it that way, no. However, I do think that we need to believe that there is something "amazing" about us. How else are we supposed to toot our own horns at medical school interviews when they ask us this very question: What sets you apart from other applicants?

It's not a mindset of putting others down. It's about lifting yourself up and having self-confidence, which is something that can be very fragile during the medical school application/interviewing process.

Is that a sense of humor I smell..

Na, can't be.

:smuggrin:

Waiting waiting and more waiting... I am starting to think studying for the MCAT was more relaxing than the longgg wait for interview calls!

Waiting waiting and more waiting... I am starting to think studying for the MCAT was more relaxing than the longgg wait for interview calls!

Haha yeah! I hear you, I check my email constantly. I have hope, what can I say! :) lol

This is not the case. It isn't cooked up.

Not only do good (read: accepted) applicants interview later in the season as well as early on, but there is a lot of merit to what someone said previously about interviewing some great students later so they consider UTMB strongly. It's called the recency effect.

Additionally, interviewing at your favorite school after interviewing other places makes you more experienced (read: more likely to rock the interview). That being said, sometimes your first interview can go really well because you're still super excited and not, shall I say, "bored" of the repetativeness of multiple, nearly identical interviews? :rolleyes:

Try to stay fresh and excited throughout the interview season... I was SO excited at UTMB, and it showed.

I interviewed there in November and was accepted. November is late in the game. Many of my classmates also interviewed in December. They got in too.

Good luck! :luck:

Status
Not open for further replies.