2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammich117

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Best of luck with your application :luck::luck::luck:!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'm the only one applying here, I like my chances:smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea on when rejection letters are handed out?

You can log in right now, create an account, and start filling it out. Go to the "application process" page of their admissions site. Good luck!

Does anyone mind posting the secondary questions? Thanks

Scratch whatever I said. They had updated part of the secondary to include correct 2012 dates, but I guess the questions must've been from last cycle. There was nothing too interesting, though. Pretty straightforward "what have you been up to?" stuff.

I can still log into the account I created, but there's nothing to fill out.

Scratch whatever I said. They had updated part of the secondary to include correct 2012 dates, but I guess the questions must've been from last cycle. There was nothing too interesting, though. Pretty straightforward "what have you been up to?" stuff.

I can still log into the account I created, but there's nothing to fill out.

gotcha

The secondary stuff is up, but do we have to wait for an email telling us to fill it out before we send?

The secondary stuff is up, but do we have to wait for an email telling us to fill it out before we send?

It still says they are working on updating it...also while I can login since I got an account from another secondary, I can't click on "Application for Admission". So I don't think it's actually ready yet.

Odd - I managed to get in about a month ago just to check it out, but haven't looked since. I suppose it's the same prompt - why us - but does anyone know the word count?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about this for some Johns love?

Secondary is up!

EDIT: I can't get my school email to open. Can someone post the prompts?

Last edited:
How about this for some Johns love?

Secondary is up!

EDIT: I can't get my school email to open. Can someone post the prompts?
Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.
900 characters

If Applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority. 1100 characters

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. 1100 characters

Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. 900 characters

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician.
900 characters

If Applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority. 1100 characters

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. 1100 characters

Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. 900 characters

Are you sure? I just went through the secondary and didn't see any of those questions.

Are you sure? I just went through the secondary and didn't see any of those questions.

At the bottom of the other interests and experiences page? Am I in the 2011 one somehow? Thaaaat..sucks.

my bad...those essay prompts are right

theres no like "Additional Info" essay, right? like columbia and all let us upload a document with other crap about outselves...hopkins doesnt have that right?

I don't have many academic honors or awards...does anyone know if this section is weighted heavily for invites?

900 characters

So does that mean the "describe a situation where you were not in the majority" question is optional, since it says "If applicable"?

So does that mean the "describe a situation where you were not in the majority" question is optional, since it says "If applicable"?

That was my understanding, but I still wrote that essay.

I hate that question. I'm asian so I've technically spent most of my life "not in the majority" but I just can't think of any useful situations to describe with it. I understand that it's not about race and could mean anytime I disagreed with the majority or anything of that nature, but I just don't know what they want from that question. Anybody got any ideas?

I hate that question. I'm asian so I've technically spent most of my life "not in the majority" but I just can't think of any useful situations to describe with it. I understand that it's not about race and could mean anytime I disagreed with the majority or anything of that nature, but I just don't know what they want from that question. Anybody got any ideas?

For mine, I used a time when I was stuck in a foreign country where no one spoke English.

Could be cultural minority, linguistic, ethnic.

For mine, I used a time when I was stuck in a foreign country where no one spoke English.

Could be cultural minority, linguistic, ethnic.

Thanks for sharing, I would have never thought of it like that. I was trying to think of a time my opinion or what I stood for was different from the majority

I think it is kind of annoying to re-list things from your AMCAS....I don't understand the point.

:thumbup:

Especially when they were listed more clearly and with more information on AMCAS.

JHU said:
List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement:

Hey, what are you all putting for "interests and travel"? Are you actually suppose to say that you went away to France last summer or that you enjoy skiing? :p

Is there some character limit (~30 chars) for the activity boxes? There's no room to even write the whole name of the activity, let alone describe "degree of involvement"

I know it says "if applicable," but I would fill out all the questions-- I am sure if you brainstorm you can find one situation where you weren't in the majority. The essays are all very short so use all the opportunity you have to communicate who you are.

Does Hopkins screen for secondaries? Still haven't gotten one...then again I was verified a little later than the early blitz...(June 30th)

Does Hopkins screen for secondaries? Still haven't gotten one...then again I was verified a little later than the early blitz...(June 30th)

I toured Hopkins a few weeks ago, and was told that the secondary is sent to everyone who applies.

Is there some character limit (~30 chars) for the activity boxes? There's no room to even write the whole name of the activity, let alone describe "degree of involvement"

Anyone? Just wondering if it's my computer or if it's the same for everyone

Anyone? Just wondering if it's my computer or if it's the same for everyone
Yes, I believe the limit is the same for everyone. I just did my best abbreviating. I assume that if they want more details, they can refer to the AMCAS primary.

Thanks guys! Yeah, referring to the AMCAS does make sense.

I am by no means a great writer, but trying to fit in a cohesive story about adversity, lessons learned, and how it will affect your future career in 900 characters is killing me. These limits are short!

"Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment."

This refers to if you have any sort of specialty in mind, right? Not so much of whether you want academic medicine vs private practice (or whether you wanna continue research, teaching, clinical practice, etc)?

Also, this is entirely optional correct? For instance, I have no specialty in mind -- I could see myself as a primary care physician as much as a radiologist or a surgeon... (But I am pretty sure i wanna stay in academic medicine). So should I leave it blank or say "N/A"??

"Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment."

This refers to if you have any sort of specialty in mind, right? Not so much of whether you want academic medicine vs private practice (or whether you wanna continue research, teaching, clinical practice, etc)?

Also, this is entirely optional correct? For instance, I have no specialty in mind -- I could see myself as a primary care physician as much as a radiologist or a surgeon... (But I am pretty sure i wanna stay in academic medicine). So should I leave it blank or say "N/A"??

I would not leave it blank.. just talk about one specialty you might be interested in.. I know that I really have no idea what specialty I want to pursue, but I still wrote some of the ones that struck me from my shadowing and used it as a short opportunity to convey why I liked that specialty... never know what might strike a cord with the adcom.

And you could actually talk about how you want to stay in academic medicine too.. I don't think its incredibly picky.

for the "most rewarding experience/accomplishment" can we talk about our most rewarding activity (like research that we have been part of for a while)?
or is it like a specific thing we have to talk about?

Is there a way to submit these secondaries without a verified AMCAS application? I don't know how to get the non-science and science GPAs however. and I second the character limit being killer. -_-

for the "most rewarding experience/accomplishment" can we talk about our most rewarding activity (like research that we have been part of for a while)?
or is it like a specific thing we have to talk about?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the question. It states "experience" or "accomplishment," so I'd argue it's pretty open-ended. Write what you want to write about.

And jwalla, JHU's secondary is available online at https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=jhu-som. You just need your AAMC ID number to start it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.