2011-2012 University of North Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just double checking, no OOS interviews yet right??

I realize there is only a 3% chance of snagging a golden ticket, saw they started giving out IS interviews, was curious about OOS?

I'm IS, but I can still see the OOS interview scheduling website. No one OOS has scheduled an interview yet, so I'd assume that means they haven't given any OOS interviews. FYI the first OOS interview date is 9/9 and they interview OOS people every monday and friday until 12/16.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On the OOS appliaction, did anyone have trouble copying and pasting and having a strange word count? Should I just ignore that and submit, because I know that its word count is being incorrect? Thanks guys!

I'm IS, but I can still see the OOS interview scheduling website. No one OOS has scheduled an interview yet, so I'd assume that means they haven't given any OOS interviews. FYI the first OOS interview date is 9/9 and they interview OOS people everyone monday and thursday until 12/16.

Thanks for the info...I'd love to snag one of those slots...

Members don't see this ad :)
On the OOS appliaction, did anyone have trouble copying and pasting and having a strange word count? Should I just ignore that and submit, because I know that its word count is being incorrect? Thanks guys!

Hey man. I had the same issue, but it happens when you use hyphened words...
when I type "nine-year-old" in msword, it counts as one word. but when you type the same thing on the app, it says 3 words. hope this helps man.

PS. Also try using "more standardized" browser.. (Explorer). I tried using chrome but there were some technical problems... (or maybe it's just me :laugh:)

Hey man. I had the same issue, but it happens when you use hyphened words...
when I type "nine-year-old" in msword, it counts as one word. but when you type the same thing on the app, it says 3 words. hope this helps man.

PS. Also try using "more standardized" browser.. (Explorer). I tried using chrome but there were some technical problems... (or maybe it's just me :laugh:)
Thanks man, I just talked to the admissions staff and they said that there is some extra text put at the top of things too, and they deleted that for me, and it was okay. So you can call them at 4018632149

Is there a status page?

It says they will send a confirmation email when your secondary is received. When paying I got two errors but a confirmation of my payment, so I'm unsure whether it went in smoothly or not.:confused:

i haven't been able to find a status page.. it's weird. i guess i just have to wait and assume it's all in...

does anyone know how NC works with getting state residency? i'm applying as an OOSer, and was hoping that if accepted i'd be able to get residency for yr 2-4...keep dreaming? or a possibility?

does anyone know how NC works with getting state residency? i'm applying as an OOSer, and was hoping that if accepted i'd be able to get residency for yr 2-4...keep dreaming? or a possibility?

Read from about post #41-45 on the first page of this thread for a lot of good info on that.

Hey everyone, How long did it take you to get the confirmation email?
I was verified on 7/19 and I haven't gotten anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am OOS,
received secondary and turned it in a few weeks ago. No OOS interview invites yet? That's what I'm waiting for hopefully

OOS interview invite!!! I'm so excited! UNC is definitely a reach school for me, but I'd love to go there for med school. I'm from Georgia, but I'm also currently an undergrad at UNC, so maybe that had something to do with it? Idk.

Here are my stats, for those who are interested.
GPA (cumulative): 3.68
GPA (science): 3.56
MCAT: 11 PS 12 VR 11 BS Writing S -- 34S

Gonna interview on September 30, hopefully will see some SDN'ers there! Good luck everyone!

Do all re applicants get secondaries?

OOS interview invite!!! I'm so excited! UNC is definitely a reach school for me, but I'd love to go there for med school. I'm from Georgia, but I'm also currently an undergrad at UNC, so maybe that had something to do with it? Idk.

Here are my stats, for those who are interested.
GPA (cumulative): 3.68
GPA (science): 3.56
MCAT: 11 PS 12 VR 11 BS Writing S -- 34S

Gonna interview on September 30, hopefully will see some SDN'ers there! Good luck everyone!

Congrats! I'm hoping for an invite as well. Our stats are very similar (3.7ish 34Q) so you have given me some hope! We shall see!

edit: I'm a FL resident at a state school in Florida so I wonder if you going to UNC holds some weight with them?

any MSTP applicants still haven't received a secondary yet? (like me)

Oh man, I'm freaking out right now... so due to some technical difficulties, I wasn't able to turn my secondary in within 2 weeks (I was off by 2 days)... have I blown my chances? Should I contact someone about it? I don't know what I should do..Also, I know IS automatically get an interview, but seeing that I've turned in my secondary late, will I still get an interview? Do I have any chances at all?

Last edited:
I was verified 6/24 and still haven't gotten a secondary or rejection from them. Silent rejection?

oh man, i'm freaking out right now... So due to some technical difficulties, i wasn't able to turn my secondary in within 2 weeks (i was off by 2 days)... Have i blown my chances? Should i contact someone about it? I don't know what i should do..also, i know is automatically get an interview, but seeing that i've turned in my secondary late, will i still get an interview? Do i have any chances at all?

woo calm down girlfriend!!!

Oh man, I'm freaking out right now... so due to some technical difficulties, I wasn't able to turn my secondary in within 2 weeks (I was off by 2 days)... have I blown my chances? Should I contact someone about it? I don't know what I should do..Also, I know IS automatically get an interview, but seeing that I've turned in my secondary late, will I still get an interview? Do I have any chances at all?

I turned in my secondary after 18 days and still got an invite.

I'm an OOS MSTP applicant.. received secondary today - just 21 hours after their initial email saying that they got my AMCAS. Is this a good sign? Or do they send it out automatically?

I'm an OOS MSTP applicant.. received secondary today - just 21 hours after their initial email saying that they got my AMCAS. Is this a good sign? Or do they send it out automatically?

it's a good sign. they do screen for MSTP applicants.

So i was verified on 7/19 and screened in for a secondary on 7/21
The bad news is that none of the emails that UNC sent made it to my inbox (or my spam box)
I called them four days ago and figured all of this out. As it happens, no one from my school received the emails (of the four people Ive talked to)
I completed the secondary a long time ago and submitted right after I got it (im mailing the in state form in on tuesday)

My question is this:

Does chapel hill send a "complete" or a "secondary received" email?

i got a notification of payment but no other ''you're complete'' email or anything.

OOS interview invite!!
Is it bad to sign up in October though? I've got a lot going on in September, but I don't want them to think i'm not obsessed!!!

OOS interview invite!!
Is it bad to sign up in October though? I've got a lot going on in September, but I don't want them to think i'm not obsessed!!!

I don't have an answer to your question, but where r u from/what are your stats? If you don't mind

Did anyone receive a complete e-mail after submission of the secondary? I got a notification of payment e-mail but nothing about being complete.

Yeah, I received the acknowledgement email 6/27 and still no secondary. Should I be assuming this is essentially a rejection at this point?

Me too.. I'm wondering the same thing. :cry:

Based on the experiences of previous applicants, I think it's safe to assume that UNC will be the slowest to respond to your application. Everything moves slowly, and there are no update emails or anything.

I know it doesn't help ease your mind, but be prepared for long periods of time between communications from UNC.

Interview invite today!
So glad the email server mishap that I had didnt set me back too far.

SS: 8/24

Based on the experiences of previous applicants, I think it's safe to assume that UNC will be the slowest to respond to your application. Everything moves slowly, and there are no update emails or anything.

I know it doesn't help ease your mind, but be prepared for long periods of time between communications from UNC.

Thanks, that's good to know, especially since some of my other schools have been moving pretty quickly.

Congrats to you, too! What day are you going? I'm going on 9/26.

Oh wow, that's so soon! I'm still working out my sched and choosing a date. Prob one of the October dates...

Oh wow, that's so soon! I'm still working out my sched and choosing a date. Prob one of the October dates...

I'm a crazy person. I scheduled six interviews for September. I'm not taking any classes, though. I'm just finishing my thesis and defending this semester. I will not schedule any more interviews for September, however.

I'm a crazy person. I scheduled six interviews for September. I'm not taking any classes, though. I'm just finishing my thesis and defending this semester. I will not schedule any more interviews for September, however.

Haha you think you're crazy...I have 9 scheduled for September and I'm a full time student!

Also, what makes you guys so excited for UNC as OOSers? Just curious since I'm IS.

Also, what makes you guys so excited for UNC?

Um, it's a med school! (And a good one!)

I don't have quite as many Septembers as you guys. But I do have to travel a lot for mine so far, and I work full-time. That said, my team has been nothing but supportive. I'm just excited to go to med school...

Haha you think you're crazy...I have 9 scheduled for September and I'm a full time student!

Also, what makes you guys so excited for UNC as OOSers? Just curious since I'm IS.

You've made me feel better about my situation; thank you! :)

I'm excited about UNC because, as percy noted, it's a great school. I also love the state, and the students are renowned for being very friendly.

Good luck with your 9 (!) interviews!

Status
Not open for further replies.