2011-2012 University of North Carolina Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You've made me feel better about my situation; thank you! :)

I'm excited about UNC because, as percy noted, it's a great school. I also love the state, and the students are renowned for being very friendly.

Good luck with your 9 (!) interviews!

You said it. I mean, a lot of things will make my decision for me (finaid, location, program/school specifics), but I applied to most of the schools on my list because they have reputations for (or because I personally know) students who are happy and love their school. UNC is no different, from what I know. That's how I chose my undergrad, and student community will invariably play a big role in med school, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm OOS but lived in Carolina for 14 years and I have family ties at UNC...would e-mailing them to tell them that I have family ties help in receiving a secondary? Or should I just wait?

Does it take longer for a reapplicant to get a secondary? (since they pass through the reapplicant committee)

About how long after being verfied are ISers receiving secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who've already been to an interview, how were the questions? similar to those posted in the interview feedback?

Quick (and maybe stupid) question,

on the secondary when it says "150 words total," does that mean 150 words total for ALL of the three questions, or 150 total for EACH of the three questions?

I guess the second on would make a lot more sense but just wanted to make sure before I started writing.

Hey Folks,

I am a fourth-year student here at UNC. I know there's probably a number of questions floating about so I want to offer up my perspective on any concerns you might have. First, I should probably give you a little information, just so you know where I'm coming from.

When I first started the process, I was an in-state, non-traditional applicant, having spent five years working for the government. I was considering a number of top programs, but ultimately my decision came down to Duke and UNC. In the end, I chose UNC largely because of the huge difference in the cost of education. I also received a scholarship from UNC which essentially pays the vast majority of my tuition/fees. Having said that, I don't have any regrets about my decision. My education has been second-to-none. Originally, I started out in another class, but I took a leave of absence to pursue an MPH. I also went abroad after first year and will do so again later this year. Now, I am applying for a residency position in Internal Medicine. As you can tell, my priorities are largely primary care/public health oriented, but for those of you considering surgery or other specialties, I will do my best to answer your questions.

As for some general thoughts about UNC, I would list the following advantages/disadvantages:

Advantages:
- Cost of education (especially for IS, but OOS can claim residency)
- Emphasis on primary care and clinical education
- Very strong evidence-based curriculum including epidemiology
- Top-notch faculty
- Very collegial environment, especially for the East Coast
- Outstanding research, both in terms of total NIH dollars and student access
- One of the best schools of public health is right across the street
- Mission: UNC serves as the primary public safety net hospital for the region - ie we take care of those without resources
- We match very, very well. If you do well here (AOA), you can match just about anywhere. Our list may not look as impressive on the whole, but we send a good number of people into primary care in underserved areas. I'm not making excuses, just framing the issue.
- Students rotate through facilities across the state (Charlotte, Raleigh, Asheville, Wilmington). Some see this as a disadvantage, but I think it adds a lot to your education, even though it can be inconvenient at times.
- New cancer hospital
- Lots to do in Chapel Hill (for a town of this size)
- Relatively affordable housing

Disadvantages:
- Opportunities are not served on a platter like you might find at some of the more well-endowed, private schools. You can do anything you want here, but you might have to put in the leg work
- Funding, including financial aid, does fluctuate with state budgets
- Administration is not quite as smooth as some top-tier schools. I'm sure you're seeing this with the application process (slow?). Things have, however, improved a great deal since I first started in 2006. It really is pretty good now.
- Non-UNC clinical sites: see above
- Less class diversity than you might find at other schools, but much of this comes from the requirement to accept so many IS students
- You really must have a car to survive here. The busline (free) is great for the first two years, but NC is really not a pedestrian friendly state

Ok, hopefully that's enough to get the wheels in motion. As I said, please feel free to ask your questions. I'll answer as honestly as I can without all of the rah-rah you might get on the interview tour. I am currently in clinical rotations, so I might not hit you back immediately, but I'll try to check back regularly. If you feel your question will benefit everyone, just post it, if not, feel free to PM me.

Good luck with application process and interviews. I don't envy you at this point, but it will get better.

Regards,
RM

i read the above and i was all yaaaay! but then later tonight i found an email in my spam and it was a rejection. and then i was like nooooo.

thanks, email filter, for shielding me from reality for a half day.

just interviewed here today, it's hard not to love this place!

in-state student, recently submitted my secondary. do you know if you will be considered for an interview before they have your in-state residency application? trying to figure out what priority this is on my "stuff to do for med school" list...

They will consider you.

I got the interview five days after submitting and Im still topping of that in state form

I've still not gotten a secondary from UNC and I submitted AMCAS in June. Anybody in the same boat?

rejected, OOS, 35/3.7x

:( sad. i don't have close connections to NC so maybe they didn't feel the love enough. which is too bad. NC is a great place. good luck to the rest of y'all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've still not gotten a secondary from UNC and I submitted AMCAS in June. Anybody in the same boat?

Did you get a confirmation email from the school when they got your primary?

OOS, no secondary yet, primary verified 9/1, I got the "primary application received" email though

I didn't. My primary was submitted 8/13 and verified 9/16. No contact whatsoever from UNC. I have received at least one email from every other school I applied to. Should I email them?

I didn't. My primary was submitted 8/13 and verified 9/16. No contact whatsoever from UNC. I have received at least one email from every other school I applied to. Should I email them?

If you haven't received an email from them at all (not even an AMCAS acknowledgment) CALL THEM TODAY, DO IT NOW.

No one at my school got an email from them. When I called it turned out that they had screened me in for a secondary two days after I was verified (about 5 weeks before I called)

I gave them an alternate email that day, the sent the link for the secondary and I submitted it that day. II five days later (including a weekend)

The moral of the story is to CALL THEM if you didnt get an email acknowledging your primary.

I interviewed here yesterday. Once I get my thoughts together Ill post them.

Also, If you manage to get Chris on the phone you're lucky, He'll help you out.

He's the one that I got a hold of who fixed everything.

If you haven't received an email from them at all (not even an AMCAS acknowledgment) CALL THEM TODAY, DO IT NOW.

No one at my school got an email from them. When I called it turned out that they had screened me in for a secondary two days after I was verified (about 5 weeks before I called)

I gave them an alternate email that day, the sent the link for the secondary and I submitted it that day. II five days later (including a weekend)

The moral of the story is to CALL THEM if you didnt get an email acknowledging your primary.

I interviewed here yesterday. Once I get my thoughts together Ill post them.

I just called and they seemed to think it was completely normal not to hear anything at all from UNC even though I've been verified for 2 weeks and submitted primary 8/13. Every single other school (19 of them) has already contacted me. I guess I'll just wait and hope for a secondary.

Last edited:
I thought all IS that receive a secondary get an interview. Well I just got rej email today as an IS and I received my secondary on 8/15 completed on 8/17.Any thoughts?

Are there any international student applicants who received a secondary application?

I thought all IS that receive a secondary get an interview. Well I just got rej email today as an IS and I received my secondary on 8/15 completed on 8/17.Any thoughts?

First time applicants are guaranteed an interview if they get a secondary (at least that was the case last year). If you are a reapplicant, you get screened for secondary, and screened again for interview.

Again, these were the rules last year, and I don't know if they have changed or not. I'm still waiting to hear anything from UNC.

Same. I got the acknowledgement letter on Aug 16th. No word. OOS.

Is the secondary the same as last year's?

Nah, I wasn't too nervous. How did your last interview go?

it was hard to tell if the guy liked my answers, but he asked a lot of questions..

I'm still in chapel hill.. got a migraine right after I left and threw up twice..

it was hard to tell if the guy liked my answers, but he asked a lot of questions..

I'm still in chapel hill.. got a migraine right after I left and threw up twice..

You probably did fine; it's usually hard to tell what the interviewers like.

That's too bad about the migraine. I've fortunately never experienced one, but I've heard they pretty much make you want to die while they're happening. I hope you feel better soon.

You probably did fine; it's usually hard to tell what the interviewers like.

That's too bad about the migraine. I've fortunately never experienced one, but I've heard they pretty much make you want to die while they're happening. I hope you feel better soon.

Yeah. I have a migraine every month.. sometimes every two weeks. They are pretty bad, too bad I have ALL of the side effects listed in most prescription migraine meds. So I don't take anything for it.. just let it run its course.. which involves severe headache, nausea, (vomiting due to nausea), hypersensitivity to everything, and feeling of death, lol. I'm fine now and back home. I hope we meet again in fall!

Is [email protected] the correct address for admissions? I emailed them several days ago and haven't heard back yet..

I know, I'm paranoid.

Same. I got the acknowledgement letter on Aug 16th. No word. OOS.

So you were verified in June and didn't receive anything from UNC until August?

I'm wondering because I was verified 9/16 and haven't heard one peep from UNC. No contact at all. Just wait?

OOS, no secondary yet, primary verified 9/1, I got the "primary application received" email though

Can I ask what date you got the "primary received" email? Haven't gotten one and I was verified 9/16, so I'm wondering if it is coming soon or what.

How receptive do you think UNC might be to in-the-area emails? I'm OOS, in the area for a Duke interview in Nov., and submitted my UNC secondary like on the second or third day of August. I admit I don't have strong connections to NC, but I do have strong stats.

How receptive do you think UNC might be to in-the-area emails? I'm OOS, in the area for a Duke interview in Nov., and submitted my UNC secondary like on the second or third day of August. I admit I don't have strong connections to NC, but I do have strong stats.

I have no connections to NC, but I still got an II. I do love the state, though. It can't hurt to try an in-the-area email. I would do it.

Last edited:
UNC rocks. The faculty's amazing, the stress level is minimal, and the campus is so gorgeous... Don't none of you give up!

just curious metal, could you pm your stats...i have an interview at duke in january but i stilll havent received my unc secondary even tho i submitted my amcas in early june. and mine are 35, 3.5, 3.35s w/ no connections to UNC (ie OOS). they keep telling me to 'wait' but i wonder if its worth it to give them an 'in the area' just to get a secondary:laugh:

about what's it taking now to go from AMCAS acknowledgement to secondary invite?

IS 35/3.57 reapplicant, verified 9/20 and still no secondary o_O... I already have an interview at another school which looks as competitive on MSAR only Im OOS for that school, so Im definitely kinda surprised that I havent even gotten a secondary from my state school >.<...

IS 35/3.57 reapplicant, verified 9/20 and still no secondary o_O... I already have an interview at another school which looks as competitive on MSAR only Im OOS for that school, so Im definitely kinda surprised that I havent even gotten a secondary from my state school >.<...

UNC is notoriously slow, so don't sweat it too much yet. I got the "we received your application" email on 8/24 (MCAT scores weren't released until 9/13), but I haven't received anything yet, either.

I'm planning on following up with them on October 17 (just some arbitrary date that I have chosen) if I haven't heard anything by then. I'm in-state, by the way.

Received AMCAS acknowledgement 10/4, no secondary yet. 37Q MCAT, first time applicant, 3.9 GPA, should I expect a secondary?

Meh. That's pretty icky. This game is no fun.

What's the lag time looking like between AMCAS acknowledgement and receipt of secondary for OOSers who HAVE received them?

What's the lag time looking like between AMCAS acknowledgement and receipt of secondary for OOSers who HAVE received them?

I do not know, but I am in the same boat as you. I received the primary application acknowledgement early in August and have not heard back from them at all. I am keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.