2012-2013 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just added this school to my list for kicks. I always dreamed of going to school in boston so I figured why not.

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone have any suggestions for the extra essay?? i already know that you shouldn't information that you already talked about, unnecessary stuff, etc. but how many people are writing one??

does anyone have any suggestions for the extra essay?? i already know that you shouldn't information that you already talked about, unnecessary stuff, etc. but how many people are writing one??

I did not write one.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone accepted, and attending in about a month. BUSM is definitely service/community/diversity oriented, so . . .

There are some good things about BU, being service & community oriented is not one of them, from personal experience. The school may work hard in order attract a diverse student body, but that's different from working hard to produce physicians who are community oriented and are interested in working with underserved populations, such as from a primary care standpoint.

Somebody did a study, maybe the AMA, and found that BU ranks near the bottom of medical schools when it comes to having a "Social Mission", this is because of a combination of factors, probably related to high debt burden and the general ethos of the school which is more like a business school than promoting an ethic of giving back to the less fortunate.

I had a family member pass away shortly before entering, and wasn't "allowed" to take a year or two off to do international health work, later I discovered, to my surprise, that some faculty can be very passive aggressive, and very unhelpful to certain students (yes there are cliques at BU). Imagine talking to somebody in their office and they just stop talking to you and stare at their computer screen . . . uh, conversation over?:confused:

I think the school dislikes a lot of their students because qualified students go to better schools, and BU is left with the students who will bit the bullet and pay ridiculous tuition prices which is a pain for those who truly want to give back and do primary care. Something has to explain why the faculty feel entitled to treat the students much worse than the applicants ever expect. Maybe because of the Craiglist Killer everybody is down on students . . . that is one theory being circulated.

Last edited:
If I want to apply to the MPH program during my first year there, do I have to check out MD/MPH on the secondary?

The page says "While you are not required to indicate interest in MD-MPH, MD-MBA or MD-MACI programs at this time, you may wish to do so to ensure that we provide adequate information during the admissions process." But then where you mark it it says "Indicate the program to which you currently wish to apply" and I'm not CURRENTLY applying..
I have the same question...I was going to check both "MD" and "MD/MPH."

BU should be handing out a lot of rejections pretty soon. Let's all hope for the best.

Good Luck!:xf:

thanks pal. how do you know they are coming soon?

On last year's thread, the first rejections starting coming 19 days after applicants received the "Application Complete" status. Not sure about others on this thread, but I got that status July 5th, meaning tomorrow I could possibly get a rejection email. After the first wave, rejections trickle in more moderately. Apparently, if you make it to 30 days after your "Application Complete" status without a rejection email, you get a different email saying "sorry for the delay," which is then eventually followed by an interview invite.

Good luck! Wednesday is my big day. Hopefully our inboxes will stay silent for a while haha

Crap! Forgot to submit my secondary even though I received it on July 2. They sent me a "no response to initial contact" email tonight. I also noticed on the secondary that there is a note about "no response to initial contact". Does this completely kill my chances? Will they automatically assume that I've put this thing off and am not interested?

Members don't see this ad :)
Crap! Forgot to submit my secondary even though I received it on July 2. They sent me a "no response to initial contact" email tonight. I also noticed on the secondary that there is a note about "no response to initial contact". Does this completely kill my chances? Will they automatically assume that I've put this thing off and am not interested?

I didn't know we had to submit it within three weeks :eek: Did you start filling out the secondary, or have you not logged in since you received it?

I didn't know we had to submit it within three weeks :eek: Did you start filling out the secondary, or have you not logged in since you received it?

When I logged in tonight almost all of it was already filled out.. I must've just forgotten about it or something.

Edit: I remember now. It doesn't like that I saved my password in Chrome. Everytime I tried to login it kept telling me to delete the saved password and I was always too lazy to do it.

Anyone uploading any documents? A photo?

I was complete 7/5 so today's day 19 for me, but haven't received any rejection e-mail yet. Hopefully that means I made the first cut.

I was complete 7/5 so today's day 19 for me, but haven't received any rejection e-mail yet. Hopefully that means I made the first cut.

I doubt it means anything at this point. Nobody has posted about a rejection, so unless everybody on here made the first cut, I'm sure they are just doing it a bit differently this year.

Oh crap I wonder if I forgot to upload a photo.. Is it something that pops up as you fill out the secondary or do you have to click on a special link?

Edit: Glad I double checked.. Just realized that I only paid and did not actually submit.

Did anyone else have trouble getting the photo size right? I resized to 401 pixels but it still won't take it.

Edit: I guess BU likes 520/509 better.

Last edited:
quick question. if my mom did her residency and worked at boston city hospital (in the 80s before it became a part of BU), does this count as a "personal connection to BUSM or BMC"?

quick question. if my mom did her residency and worked at boston city hospital (in the 80s before it became a part of BU), does this count as a "personal connection to BUSM or BMC"?

Sure

Just received an email to check my status and it says, "Interview invite sent by email," but I haven't received the actual invite email yet. My first one of the season!!!

:thumbup: Congrats!! When did you submit/ become complete if you don't mind?

congrats MuAgonist first SDNer to post interview invite!
Good luck!

Just received an email to check my status and it says, "Interview invite sent by email," but I haven't received the actual invite email yet. My first one of the season!!!

Wow congratulations! I was complete 7/6 so hopefully I'll get some good news in a few days too :xf:

Just received interview invite through email!! First one as well!!! So excited :D:D:D

Complete 7/9

i was complete 7/16. here's to waiting!

Interview Invite this morning! Really excited! Complete 7/5 :)

Interview Invite this morning! Really excited! Complete 7/5 :)

Congrats! Looks like I was complete around 10ish days after everyone getting invites today. :xf: for good news next week!

Do they care whether or not I upload a picture? I mean I'm very confident with how I look, but I just got a pretty bad haircut... :laugh: Or would they rather that applicants submitted pictures for easy identification on interview day and help them recall which applicant you were?

I was complete 7/5 too...*sigh*

But congrats to you!

Thanks, bud. Don't worry though, its a long process. If it doesn't work out here I'm sure you'll get in to another great school you go nice stats :D

Do they care whether or not I upload a picture? I mean I'm very confident with how I look, but I just got a pretty bad haircut... :laugh: Or would they rather that applicants submitted pictures for easy identification on interview day and help them recall which applicant you were?

Pictures are just for verification haha. I've heard they match your picture with your MCAT picture, since AMCAS provides them with your primary app. Make sure you're not two different people!

Pictures are just for verification haha. I've heard they match your picture with your MCAT picture, since AMCAS provides them with your primary app. Make sure you're not two different people!

:scared: My pic was horrible and I had super long hair. The ladies at the test center actually said to me when I walked in, "YOU'RE taking the MCAT!?" I was like yes, geez, way to insult me.

:scared: My pic was horrible and I had super long hair. The ladies at the test center actually said to me when I walked in, "YOU'RE taking the MCAT!?" I was like yes, geez, way to insult me.

They have an MCAT photo?!?? Yikes i had super long messy hair back then and probably looked like a bum :laugh:

Admissions faculty have access to our MCAT photos? Oh no! :eek:

Admissions faculty have access to our MCAT photos? Oh no! :eek:

Haha I'm sure the data's there if they want to access it! Why else do you think they took your photo during your MCAT? Clearly not for marketing purposes! :cool:

Haha I'm sure the data's there if they want to access it! Why else do you think they took your photo during your MCAT? Clearly not for marketing purposes! :cool:
This is disappointing news.

Status
Not open for further replies.